What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

XFL 2.1 - the re-re-reboot (1 Viewer)

joey

Footballguy
Since the league is officially starting in a month, and there's only an "AFL and XFL" thread in the FFA, I thought I'd start one here for some football talk.

If the XFL hopes to have any chance to survive, they need to employ some former NFL players and coaches and play them up. Name recognition will draw NFL fans' attention.

The AFL tried to do this with former NFL coaches and some players, and the messaging was more along the lines of a "farm/dev league for the NFL", which I think is a path to success if not for their financial missteps from the start.

Unfortunately, the vibe I'm getting from the XFL is still the "competing league" pov, and do I recall some things in the XFL player contracts that restrict/prevent signing with an NFL team? That'll doom them, I think. They have to align themselves with the NFL and not separate themselves.

anyway, this is a thread for XFL talk...

Doomed to fail, IMO. Minor league football just hasn't worked in the USA, and football as a sport has probably peaked anyway.

McMahon is stubborn and full of pride. He would've been better off spending his money on an MLS franchise or maybe e-sports.

Anyone read the new rules? I think my favorite is the OT shootout. Though with the 1,2, or 3 points after touchdown there may not be many OTs. 

https://www.xfl.com/rules

Agree it is quite an uphill battle to compete with NFL.  Maybe convince NFL to have relegation and send 3 worst teams down there each year.

Or maybe some partner company should create some sort of game thing where you can select players from the different teams like you are a ‘manager’ and get points and compete against others.  I don’t know, just a thought. 

It will almost certainly fail, and I will almost certainly not watch it, but I gotta say, these rule tweaks all sound smart to me: 

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28438441/xfl-rule-changes-focus-faster-pace-more-excitement

If the legacy of the XFL is that it validates some interesting new ideas that then get adopted by the NFL, I will consider it to be a success. 
Just heard an interview with Oliver Luck (XFL Commish) on Mike&Mike radio show, and maybe there is a chance for them to survive, at least in regards to my point about them "blocking" the signing of XFL players to NFL teams. Luck clarified this morning that the only "block" is that XFL players can't be signed to NFL deals during the XFL season (Feb-Apr), which sounds fair enough. Luck said something like players being able to sign with NFL teams in late April "still gives players plenty of time to catch on with an NFL team".

He definitely played up the fact that the XFL had many former-NFL players, and other college standouts "who just love the game and want to play" and I think he had a tone that could lead to success of this being a lead that feeds into the NFL. He wasn't playing the "we'll be as good as the NFL" card as much as the "we are trying to play a faster paced game that fans will love" angle.

Good luck to them, since they'll need it :)

cool thing about the XFL, like the AAF, is that it's only 4 games a weekend, I can DVR them all, and watch each of them at night after the wife and kids go to bed. Probably without much threat of me knowing the final score before I watch the game. Unless somehow the XFL magically takes off in the general sports media world.

Dr. Dan said:
love these rules:

Personally tired of the ticky tack flags because your OL is a yard or two downfield or is the ball a forward pass or backward pass. Also I love the idea of throwing a bubble screen and throwing it again. Would be very exciting! 

These rules actually help eliminate the tricky tack penalties or heavily reviewed plays (2 feet vs 1 for in bounds) plays that slow down the NFL. 

NFL is going the opposite direction by making more rules and making those rules reviewable. I like the XFL option of eliminating the controversy all together. 
NFL's issue is they make rules for CYA to defend lawsuits and appease the fantasy/betting and casual fans to get more scoring. We're talking a league who tried to cover up CTE findings by a Pittsburgh DR. 

I was really hoping they would get rid of kicking entirely - 4 downs to get ten yards or turn over on downs, all scores result in the other team getting the ball at their 20, 2pt conversions or nothing.  Kicks are the most dangerous plays in the game right?  Get rid of all of them.

Mekhale McKay. He had issues switching from hoops to football but was exciting in every training camp- almost made the Titans then the fans wanted the Cowboys to keep him the next year. In the AAF, he put it all together and was excellent some games. The other games, he wasn't much and maybe that kept him out of the NFL. I was real surprised he didn't make an NFL team after how he played in AAF. He's big and fast, got basketball hands and holy wow leaping ability. He gained 40-50 pounds from Cowboys til AAF and looked so different. Big strong, don't mess with me vibe. Like AJ Brown, Davis Boston and others...there's something about that extreme strength for WRs that I just love. 

Larry Rose was the top rated DB in high school and his tape is unbelievable. He is what you'd imagine Polomalu was as a high school player. His coach would let him line up anywhere and he could break down a play presnap, move to where it was going, and make a play. He was so aware and so much better athletically, he could tip passes to teammates for INTs. He turned down 150-200 schools because he wanted to be a RB. He'd eventually do real well at New Mexico State as a RB. As a UDFA, he turned down several NFL teams wanting him to play DB and signed with the Titans because they'd play him at RB. The Titans loved Akrum Wadley that summer and put plays in for him and then curiously cut him even though all offseason was about him. Rose didn't have a (real) chance. In preseason, he'd either get a big gain or stuffed and more often stuffed. He is fast in the 40 but great great playing speed. I caught him in the CFL a couple times and he was the same- stuffed or vroom he's off to the races for 20 yards or more. He does not have a RB build- no big arms or thighs, doesn't make ya think he can absorb hits and keep going. He looks like a DB. I can not believe this guy keeps following this dream of being a RB.

Ross can't take a hit deep from a safety. He's always exciting, but he's so hard to watch and play FF with. The guy had me winning points at least three times and dropped the ball. 

Landry Jones was an excellent system QB in college. Post Bradford, he just did what the coach wanted, when the coach wanted, and could make all the throws. He had no it factor, no ability to ad-lib and ...he plays like a coach's son. I always thought he'd be a very good backup in the NFL and maybe when he matures and can be an individual, maybe he'd be a starter. I blame the Steelers for him not panning out. Their offense requires the WR to catch it and make a play; it's not scripted to have them be open to make a play but putting the onus all on the WR. Since Landry, we've seen Rudolph, Dobbs, and Hodges all look about the same. If they don't have JuJu or Brown creating after the catch the passing game suffers. Washington and Diontae showed it a couple times too. There's something off with it that's just simply more difficult than the way the other 31 do it. Anyway, again Jones is robotic and does what's asked. Stoops was his college coach and this could be really good for Jones. If the league lasts more than a year, then he's got an XFL career. If he just gets this chance to retool with his college coach, I wouldn't be surprised if he lands in the NFL again as a backup. He's exactly the type teams want in the QB room. 

Last I saw Sammie Coates, he looked overweight and out of shape. I rrreally like his potential, but I'm looking at camp pics before I draft him in this.

Reece Horn doesn't have his dad's speed or fearless get up and get the ball ability. Whatever you loved about Joe, you just wind up thinking his boy is pretty regular.

Ricky Proehl was tough as nails and took a million shots most probably wouldn't get up from and yet he did. His son is a normal human being that actually gets injured. He plays a lot like his dad- does well in the slot, excellent hands, but ...he usually winds up sitting injured or banged up for a quarter or a half or more.

Tre McBride had some moments in the NFL but just moments. He doesn't have big play breakaway ability, but he's got nice hands and route running ability. The Bears curiously cut ten or more starting WRs one year as their OC seemed to "lose it" and forget how the NFL does things. He was coming on some. Two or three tough third down catches that move the chains and looked like he was gonna be a nice slot WR. I haven't heard from him since. He might be a good PPR guy for this league.

Keenan Reynolds is the best QB on Seattle. He couldn't find an NFL team to let him get playing time and get seasoned experience at WR. Being the 5th or 6th WR just doesn't get enough looks for him to develop and learn the game from a different position. I think everyone knows what he did in college as a QB and with everyone learning new offenses I'd bet there's a lot of broken plays til they work out the kinks. An ad-libber, smart, risk concious athlete like him would be perfect for this league. He'll be my last pick and the guy I cut for waivers, but...I wouldn't be surprised if he plays QB.

Murray and Johnson will probably be bad picks if INTs subtract points. They've never grown out of "pushing their luck" when they're desperate. 

Faust said:
nice to see 2 former Raiders backup QBs in the rankings (McGloin, Cook). The McGloin kids  always seemed like a tough kid, hard worker. I wish him the best and will be rooting for him to do well.

A bunch of familiar names in the QB and RB rankings, and fewer (for me at least) in the WR list. Either way, just seeing names that some fans will recognize from the NFL will hopefully bode well for the XFL's success (assuming they put a watchable product on the field over the first few weeks). The list of XFL Coaches is also filled with recognizable names.

it doesn't bode well for your kicking career when you celebrate like you won the Super Bowl after kicking a 40 years field goal in practice ;)
this reminds me of the gramatica brothers, especially the one who hurt himself after making a fg in a meaningless game.

Suspended free agent WR Antonio Callaway has signed with the XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers.

The XFL was supposedly going to stay away from players with off-the-field problems, but that was never realistic for a football upstart. Waived by the Browns in November, Callaway has four games remaining on the 10-game ban he was handed in November. One of the biggest names to join Vince McMahon's offseason NFL complement, Callaway has always been a major talent with equally big issues. He turned 23 just a week ago, so there is plenty of time for him to get things turned around.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 16, 2020, 6:44 PM ET

Is there any fantasy site or platform that is setting up to offer this?

I prefer Yahoo, but since I can't find any word anywhere on them offering it, I'm going to assume they haven't planned on it whatsoever.

Any input is appreciated.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
TZMarkie said:
Is there any fantasy site or platform that is setting up to offer this?

I prefer Yahoo, but since I can't find any word anywhere on them offering it, I'm going to assume they haven't planned on it whatsoever.

Any input is appreciated.

TZM
After some searching and little results I did end up finally finding this one

XFL fantasy leagues

I have no idea how good it is or what you can do with it because I did not register. I may later and check out what features it has 

After some searching and little results I did end up finally finding this one

XFL fantasy leagues

I have no idea how good it is or what you can do with it because I did not register. I may later and check out what features it has 
Please let us know here after you register and see what you can find out.

I don't quite have the time right now, but I may try and look into this later in the week.

It starts the week after the Super Bowl, and a "smart business move" would be for the XFL to advertise this during the SB itself. (If the NFL would actually allow this to happen that is)

TZM

Wheres the marketing?  I've hardly seen or heard anything.  

My .02

By the time the SB gets here, I'm ready for a break from football.....then as summer is wrapping up, I'm stoked for college and then the NFL.....maybe I'm an outlier I dunno

Please let us know here after you register and see what you can find out.

I don't quite have the time right now, but I may try and look into this later in the week.

It starts the week after the Super Bowl, and a "smart business move" would be for the XFL to advertise this during the SB itself. (If the NFL would actually allow this to happen that is)

TZM
Fox is advertising xfl games the next weekend so I would be stunned if they don’t have a few commercials for it during the super bowl. No chance they let that audience go by without seeing those. 

Wheres the marketing?  I've hardly seen or heard anything.  

My .02

By the time the SB gets here, I'm ready for a break from football.....then as summer is wrapping up, I'm stoked for college and then the NFL.....maybe I'm an outlier I dunno
I think the lack of hype may be an asset, these leagues always open big and then flop.  Let it breathe and see what happens.

This is the most intriguing group of actual players in a secondary league since the first World League (or second, whichever one came in 1989 or so)

The XFL's Dallas Renegades announced their 52-man roster Monday.

Headlining coach Bob Stoops' roster is QB Landry Jones, who was the first player to sign an XFL contract. He injured his knee earlier this month, however, and is in danger of missing the start of the season, which kicks off February 8. Other players of note for Dallas are RB Cameron Artis-Payne, RB Lance Dunbar, and WR Jazz Ferguson.

Jan 27, 2020, 6:36 PM ET

The XFL's DC Defenders announced their 52-man roster Monday.

Coach Pep Hamilton's squad is headlined by QB Cardale Jones, RB Donnel Pumphrey, RB Jhurell Pressley, RB Nick Brossette, WR Rashad Ross, WR Eli Rogers, WR Simmie Cobbs, former NFL first-round S Matt Elam, and 29-year-old former third-rounder DE Sam Montgomery. Ross absolutely tore up the AAF last winter before signing with the Panthers but failing to make the team out of training camp.

Jan 27, 2020, 6:42 PM ET

The XFL's Houston Roughnecks announced their 52-man roster Monday.

The Roughnecks are coached by June Jones. Headlining the squad are QB Connor Cook, RB De'Angelo Henderson, former Giants RB Andre Williams, WR Sammie Coates, CB Charles James, and 28-year-old former Panthers second-round DE Kony Ealy. Cook was a fourth-round pick of the Raiders in 2016 after playing his college ball at Michigan State.

Jan 27, 2020, 6:46 PM ET

The XFL's Los Angeles Wildcats announced their 52-man roster Monday.

The Wildcats are coached by Winston Moss, with Norm Chow serving as the OC. Chow, of course, was USC's OC back in their heyday with Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush under Pete Carroll. Headlining the Wildcats' roster are QB Josh Johnson, WR Nelson Spruce, WR Tre McBride, 6-foot-9 former Baylor DE Shawn Oakman, ex-Lions DE Devin Taylor, and K Nick Novak.

Jan 27, 2020, 6:53 PM ET

The XFL's New York Guardians announced their 52-man roster Monday.

The Guardians are coached by former Giants OC Kevin Gilbride. Headlining the team are QB Matt McGloin, QB Luis Perez, RB Tim Cook, WR Mekale McKay, and CB Jamar Summers. McKay and Summers were both stars of the AAF last winter before the league folded.

Jan 27, 2020, 6:57 PM ET

The XFL's St. Louis BattleHawks announced their 52-man roster Monday.

The BattleHawks are coached by Jonathan Hayes. Headlining St. Louis' squad are RBs Christine Michael and Matt Jones, QB Taylor Heinicke, WR L'Damian Washington, P Marquette King, WR De'Mornay Pierson-El, S Will Hill, LB Terence Garvin, and DE Will Clarke. This might be the most talented on-paper XFL team. C-Mike and Jones were both dynasty fantasy darlings in their short NFL careers, but neither was able to make much of their talents in the big leagues.

Jan 27, 2020, 7:02 PM ET

The XFL's Seattle Dragons announced their 52-man roster Monday.

The Dragons are coached by Jim Zorn, and Mike Riley serves as OC. Headlining the roster are QB B.J. Daniels, RB Kenneth Farrow, RB Trey Williams, WR Kasen Williams, WR Keenan Reynolds, DE Jacquies Smith, and K Garrett Hartley. Daniels never made it as an NFL quarterback after playing at South Florida. Kasen Williams dominated one preseason with the Seahawks, but speed limitations kept him off a roster. Hartley is the former Saints' kicker who kicked for the 2009 Super Bowl champs.

Jan 27, 2020, 7:08 PM ET

The XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers announced their 52-man roster Monday.

Former Bears coach Marc Trestman is the head coach. Headlining the roster are QB Aaron Murray, WR Antonio Callaway, WR Seantavius Jones, RB Mack Brown, CB Jalen Collins, and K Andrew Franks. Murray starred at Georgia but never made it in the NFL after being taken by the Chiefs in the fifth round of the 2014 draft. Callaway is trying to rehab his career after multiple off-field incidents at Florida and with the Browns.

Jan 27, 2020, 7:12 PM ET

Ok, now that that silly "other" league is done, we can move on to the real excitement of the XFL ;)  

honestly, I’m Not totally done with football so I look forward to having 4 games on my TiVo to slowly watch during the following week (I’m assuming it won’t be popular enough to have any of the scores spoiled in the media, similar to the AAF)

Can somebody hook me up with the FBG XFL Subscriber contest link....surely it must be around here somewhere 🧐

🙃

-QG

Antonio Callaway’s season is over before it started. Tampa Bay Vipers placed him on IR after injuring leg in practice and being carted off. 

Link

I won't watch much, but the kickoff rule they use is brilliant and should be adopted by the NFL.

I also like just needing one foot down for a catch.

Users who are viewing this thread