What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

XFL 2.1 - the re-re-reboot (1 Viewer)

Taamu is so good, so smart n quick with decisions

Announcers telling a story how the OC called wrong run blocking a few times, he just corrects it to get the play off. Late he saw the D ready to stop the run so he fired it instead. Even the kneel, he waited til the D pushed in to buy a few seconds.

Soooo much good about this kid

Cam Phillips as a decoy has been the worst thing this XFL season

Landry's foot was turned out, I would be shocked if the "knee" is "just a tweak." It was dumb in a way everyone does, he tried to hold up a 300 lb defender while another piled on and still get forward progress. Gotta go down and live to play another play

Dallas literally handed them the win. I hope that's a future playoff game rematch.

Landry Jones on the sideline man crying as a coach leans over consoling him. Why is he not in the locker room? That was messed up

I haven't heard much this week. I''m wondering if the radio has some adjustment because XFL isn't doing well. I think they are, but it went from a common topic to almost nothing.

Friday, today, has been the day for lots of info so I'm curious.

Landry Jones being injured, did you see it? yeah his foot was turned sideways; 2 weeks is generous. <---That is all I heard. 

I haven't heard much this week. I''m wondering if the radio has some adjustment because XFL isn't doing well. I think they are, but it went from a common topic to almost nothing.

Friday, today, has been the day for lots of info so I'm curious.

Landry Jones being injured, did you see it? yeah his foot was turned sideways; 2 weeks is generous. <---That is all I heard. 
Yeah I haven’t heard too much either other then the big news because of what’s going on even outside the xfl, but about the vendor who worked the Seattle game that tested positive for coronavirus. 

Link

Then also about the Battlehawks getting so much fan support that they are opening up the upper deck to hold more people which is kind of big news for the XFL  

Link

Did also see this article about a possible qb controversy in Seattle and it does also mention a couple other news topics about Seattle

-Offensive coordinator Mike Riley, who left the team before the season started to attend to a family matter, is unlikely to return, said Zorn, who has taken over Riley’s duties.

-Starting guard William Campbell, who did not play against St. Louis with a knee injury, was a full participant at Tuesday’s practice.

-Receiver Kasen Williams, the former Husky and Seahawk who has yet to play this season with a quad injury, “is almost there,” Zorn said. “I am not sure he will make it back this week. The training staff is confident that maybe the following week.”

-Defensive back Mohammed Seisay, who injured his neck against St. Louis, flew home to Seattle on Sunday and has been placed on injured reserve.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
whole-show said:
Yeah I haven’t heard too much either other then the big news because of what’s going on even outside the xfl, but about the vendor who worked the Seattle game that tested positive for coronavirus. 

Link

Then also about the Battlehawks getting so much fan support that they are opening up the upper deck to hold more people which is kind of big news for the XFL  

Link

Did also see this article about a possible qb controversy in Seattle and it does also mention a couple other news topics about Seattle

-Offensive coordinator Mike Riley, who left the team before the season started to attend to a family matter, is unlikely to return, said Zorn, who has taken over Riley’s duties.

-Starting guard William Campbell, who did not play against St. Louis with a knee injury, was a full participant at Tuesday’s practice.

-Receiver Kasen Williams, the former Husky and Seahawk who has yet to play this season with a quad injury, “is almost there,” Zorn said. “I am not sure he will make it back this week. The training staff is confident that maybe the following week.”

-Defensive back Mohammed Seisay, who injured his neck against St. Louis, flew home to Seattle on Sunday and has been placed on injured reserve.

Link

Thanks

Friday was a pretty much XFL filled radio day. I guess this is where it'll stay. Mon-Thurs is gonna be NBA, some NFL offseason talk, and MLB.

I'm listening to Texas radio mostly. Today, sure I realize those sports/leagues are bigger but now, in hindsight, I didn't realize how big a push the XFL was getting/influence etc.

Anyone here playing XFL DFS? Are you starting Cam or did that decoy role last week wreck him for you?

I don’t know about you but I thought today’s games were entertaining and the level of play increased. I think this really could turn out to be an excellent minor league to develop players that just can’t make it onto a 53 man roster. 
I'd bet money that PJ Walker ends up being an NFL backup to a starting mobile QB this coming year. Seattle is a great example, but how about KC or Bal or the Texans (would be too perfect for PJ to stay in Houston and flip from the XFL to NFL)

I don’t know about you but I thought today’s games were entertaining and the level of play increased. I think this really could turn out to be an excellent minor league to develop players that just can’t make it onto a 53 man roster. 
I'd bet money that PJ Walker ends up being an NFL backup to a starting mobile QB this coming year. Seattle is a great example, but how about KC or Bal or the Texans (would be too perfect for PJ to stay in Houston and flip from the XFL to NFL)
Texans have Alex McGough. The backup QB that won't get a chance yet is loved everywhere he goes. They signed him to the largest PS contract in NFL history. I forget the #s but winging it...if every PS guy makes 20k per game, he got 100k per game. 

I haven't heard any decent reputable reports on he or Ta'amu yet. Cosell said he was impressed with Ta'amu (much of what I said previously, so well drilled, well taught) and hasn't watched many games but intends to watch PJ Walker. I think Cosell could be key for these two and maybe their agents need to call him and beg. He's a hugely respected name and if he puts a good report out on those two- NFL teams will certainly pay attention. Right now though, it seems like the NFL is still discarding the league as lesser talent. Many reporters asked about the XFL during the combine week and I didn't read one GM or coach saying anything more than "it's good for them to compete" "it's always good to have more football" and generic junk.

Seahawks sent scouts to see P.J. Walker on Saturday. 

Link
That's nice to hear.

The XFL had scouts from all 32 teams week two. I couldn't tell if they invited and showed them a nice weekend as a PR stunt or if it was sincere. They hoped to do that every year so I lean toward PR stunt. I guess it doesn't matter, as long as they are there.

This is the first sincere report, so I appreciate it.

They don't have to attend. NFL guys love the tape and truth is in the tape etc. I like it as confirmation but we know they watch tons of game film and even the proday workouts are televised now minimizing their attendance.

Keenan Reynolds didn't get in at QB but was the backup yesterday.

Armanti didn't get in at QB either but their starter didn't do well replacing Landry Jones.

It would be fun to see either of these guys at QB next week

After these games, all the 40 PS players go to their assigned teams and the rosters increase by 5 with a whole new set of 40 PS players added to Team nine.

A lot of dopey sloppiness this weekend and this last game is the worst. They are not going to make the NFL fumbling, throwing INTs, running wrong routes, missing assignments on D etc. 

Watching a little of the TB/LA game. First game I’ve watched. I played against Marc Trestman in HS. Enjoying the games. Like hearing the referee conversations among themselves and with coaches. Once on a while they include the audio of the OC and DC calling plays/coverages. Like the kickoff alignment and extra point options. I’ll watch some more games.

Phil Elliott said:
Watching a little of the TB/LA game. First game I’ve watched. I played against Marc Trestman in HS. Enjoying the games. Like hearing the referee conversations among themselves and with coaches. Once on a while they include the audio of the OC and DC calling plays/coverages. Like the kickoff alignment and extra point options. I’ll watch some more games.
Great comeback in that one.

I was surprised to hear Johnson telling Chow to quit arguing but Galloway seemed to think it was semi normal

regular season cancelled. Dang. Too bad for this fledgling league.

The alert I got said "regular season games" so I wonder if they're holding out hope that they could still have a 4-team playoff to wrap up a 50%-shortened first season.

I wish them luck in keeping this thing going.

regular season cancelled. Dang. Too bad for this fledgling league.

The alert I got said "regular season games" so I wonder if they're holding out hope that they could still have a 4-team playoff to wrap up a 50%-shortened first season.

I wish them luck in keeping this thing going.
Nevermind. Just saw update that XFL is allowing players to sign with NFL teams after they finish their exit physical tomorrow. Season 1 is dead. :(  

Yeah this is too bad. Really liked what I was watching and now with this it’s going to be a huge hit on them I think. Too bad. Hate to see it end this way if it does 

Hopefully this passes for our sake too but also for the league so that they can finish the season out.  Not trying to be insensitive about the coronavirus as it might seem that way to some. Just expressing my feelings about how it’s too bad for the league. 

Well PJ Walker is signing with the Panthers. I'd say he has a very good chance to win the back up job and actually may have an opportunity to battle to be a starter. I don't anticipate things breaking his way there, I think Teddy will be fine and he's getting paid well to be there, but it wasn't the worst situation to land in. In Seattle, he would've been a back up only, in Carolina there is a shot to win the job outright or keep it after performing well following an injury. Still was wishing for somewhere like Chicago or NE with a much more open competition but this may be good for his long term career too.

Well PJ Walker is signing with the Panthers. I'd say he has a very good chance to win the back up job and actually may have an opportunity to battle to be a starter. I don't anticipate things breaking his way there, I think Teddy will be fine and he's getting paid well to be there, but it wasn't the worst situation to land in. In Seattle, he would've been a back up only, in Carolina there is a shot to win the job outright or keep it after performing well following an injury. Still was wishing for somewhere like Chicago or NE with a much more open competition but this may be good for his long term career too.
Rhule was his college coach so maybe he has a better chance there since they know each other.

Bad move. He's got a starter's flare to him now. A year as a backup will condition teams to the notion that he's a backup.

Who is their third stringer? I thought they added another.

Plus aren't they going to be curious about Will Grier who some had with a first round grade last year at this time?

A lot of teams would have been a better choice

Donald Parham signed with the Chargers.

21.2 mph on the XBOX style thing shared on twitter. 6-8 and looks the part as a tough tight end

Jordan Ta'amu to the Chiefs. He's going to need opportunity. I love his game, so well drilled, but he didn't have the star power of PJ. Even with a good preseason, he's going to need a Mahomes injury and success then to land a starting job somewhere.

It was interesting reading how so many teams contacted his agent right away and then the NFL put a pause on XFL signings for a week or so and only a handful did when it reopened. That week was the big free agent signing week and there weren't that many QBs signed. We never will, but I'd like to hear more on this- maybe agents for backup QBs contacted teams and had good talks so they backed off Taamu? Well anyway, good for him, apparently many teams agree he's got talent to work with

Please post the signings, I find this interesting and plan to follow them to see if they make it and make an impact

Bad move. He's got a starter's flare to him now. A year as a backup will condition teams to the notion that he's a backup.

Who is their third stringer? I thought they added another.

Plus aren't they going to be curious about Will Grier who some had with a first round grade last year at this time?

A lot of teams would have been a better choice
Where could he have gone and been a starter right away?

Grigs Allmoon said:
😥

Kinda bummed to hear the news. I'm hoping it's just a move to salvage enough money to be able to try a reboot next year...
From Twitter:

Just confirmed this report with a @XFLDragons team official. @xfl2020 will not go forward in 2021.

From Twitter:

Just confirmed this report with a @XFLDragons team official. @xfl2020 will not go forward in 2021.
Crap. 2 "farm leagues" failing in the same year. I was one of the 10 people who was watching and enjoying it :(  

That's surprising. The interest was there more than I've seen in a long time. I guess ya gotta blame the shortened season due to COVID.

The Spring League went over real well. I mean reports made me laugh when they claimed to count 35 or 36 NFL teams in attendance. This is NOT what the fans want at all, but it is what the NFL wants. It was a week of drills that their staff drew up and then NFL types run players through whatever drills they want-come down from the stands and do whatever. Some of these were setup ahead of time, some were just 'on the spot' like let's see them do this. The game was against some foreign team and then another game against each other. 10 days total, I think.

There were dozens that got camp invites from this week long thing. 

The Spring League though had the feel "they drill well, they'd be good to have in camp" not that they were uncovering gems. Maybe this brutally honest "they'll never be a star" is what the NFL wants too? 

We didn't have pro days per usual this year for college kids. I think this "come down and run them through drills" could easily catch on if colleges allow it. I was wondering if after the Spring League, if some NFL type would try it at a pro day this year and then...covid.

I think it's a shame this XFL league didn't stick. The way it went from suspended to no more also probably shows some apprehension on their part. I've seen so many leagues pop up and they never have interest like this even if we use other sports as examples, this was a rare success

I did not watch the XFL but from what I saw on Twitter they were doing some very interesting things. I loved that they were fully transparent on booth reviews. I think that is the biggest value to having a second league: the willingness to innovate. If anyone tries to launch a second league again one thing I think that would help draw viewership is to reduce the age of the players teams are allowed to sign. Anyone who has watched Last Chance U knows there are more than a handful of highly rated high school players that have no business in college, and no interest in attending college. This is an opportunity where a second league could serve as a minor league of sorts. It would also draw viewers because of fantasy implications down the road. 

Just a thought.

Luck, coaches, and other key members still being paid and under contract is hmmmm
🤞

the only chance they have to have a 2021 season was to cut costs drastically (similar to tons of companies putting folks on furlough or straight up laying off employees) to try to stay in business. Hopefully once this is over they can ramp up again for another season.

🤞

the only chance they have to have a 2021 season was to cut costs drastically (similar to tons of companies putting folks on furlough or straight up laying off employees) to try to stay in business. Hopefully once this is over they can ramp up again for another season.
I've read that their exit was 100 percent how they planned in November (can't afford healthcare, offseason program...anything) right down to suspending the league, BUT people reporting it was finished was not at all in the plan....of course. They were going to have another draft in November to reallocate some players and it sounded like a keeper dynasty league.

The $ stats are not bad for a first year league. They did so much better than the AFL. I was also pleasantly surprised reading how many PJ Walker jerseys they sold. (He went to a team he may not play on and could return if the league runs in 2021) There was one team that did real bad (words of article) but stats shown were not awful. Mid-season (it seemed) there was an article of moving that team in 2021 and detailing success everywhere else. It was only a week later that Covid hit and the league suspended play. 

The NFL asked for them to NOT allow players to sign with other teams the first two weeks of free agency and they agreed. The XFL asked for some understanding that players could return if they didn't have success in the NFL and the NFL agreed. They had very positive meetings and then teams were allowed to sign XFL guys. Having a positive relationship with the NFL was a really good sign too.

Did you see those articles with McMahon and WWE being named essential and all? He wouldn't confirm the XFL was dead, wouldn't discuss the XFL at all. Why? Why all that if it's done?

I feel this "accept it's over" vibe but there's still something hmmm about it

I've read that their exit was 100 percent how they planned in November (can't afford healthcare, offseason program...anything) right down to suspending the league, BUT people reporting it was finished was not at all in the plan....of course. They were going to have another draft in November to reallocate some players and it sounded like a keeper dynasty league.

The $ stats are not bad for a first year league. They did so much better than the AFL. I was also pleasantly surprised reading how many PJ Walker jerseys they sold. (He went to a team he may not play on and could return if the league runs in 2021) There was one team that did real bad (words of article) but stats shown were not awful. Mid-season (it seemed) there was an article of moving that team in 2021 and detailing success everywhere else. It was only a week later that Covid hit and the league suspended play. 

The NFL asked for them to NOT allow players to sign with other teams the first two weeks of free agency and they agreed. The XFL asked for some understanding that players could return if they didn't have success in the NFL and the NFL agreed. They had very positive meetings and then teams were allowed to sign XFL guys. Having a positive relationship with the NFL was a really good sign too.

Did you see those articles with McMahon and WWE being named essential and all? He wouldn't confirm the XFL was dead, wouldn't discuss the XFL at all. Why? Why all that if it's done?

I feel this "accept it's over" vibe but there's still something hmmm about it
Ok I'm gonna try to give some clarity here given I got some WWE contacts and other things. One tweet I saw from a member of the XFL staff (Not sure if he worked for a team or the league office). He went on a little rant why would people celebrate people losing their jobs and a failure of the league. If you want the sport to grow as a whole you'd want the XFL to succeed. From his NFL contacts he said there was a lot of positive talk and the NFL as a whole was impressed but still sketchy. 

As for what I learned WWE itself laid off 25 Wrestlers this past Wednesday. They furloughed most of the Live TV producers and Vince cut a big % of staff. The Investors are being paid though. WWE's talent cuts saved them $8M. Main roster people who were cut got 6 months of pay still. From a source of Brad Sheppard (who's one of the wrestling Journalist who covered the XFL with a lot of rumored info right) the source said VKM took a hit in reputation on Wall Street when the XFL declared bankruptcy. The source works on Wall Street. The Investors paid are getting over $.5B and there's believed some backdoors meeting between Trump and Vince have happened since they are good friends. 

source in WWE believes backdoor meeting involved President Trump, Linda, Vince possible others may have happened

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Oliver Luck is now Suing Vince McMahon for Wrongful termination. I'll update when theres more facts on this as I get them if I can 

Like I said in the FFA version of this thread....my last glimmer of hope for spring football next year...is dead. 
I don't blame Vince as much as I do the Virus stuff. Lets just say from my WWE contacts I was hearing great things for next spring about the XFL including a Philly teamed rumored before a report on that came to light 

I don't blame Vince as much as I do the Virus stuff. Lets just say from my WWE contacts I was hearing great things for next spring about the XFL including a Philly teamed rumored before a report on that came to light 
Yeah. Agreed. This little start up league had promise until Covid tore it down. A shame

Any former XFL players interest you all when it comes to fantasy, whether it is redraft, keeper, dynasty, or another format?

There might be some dynasty stashes, but meh.

Users who are viewing this thread