What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

XFL 2.1 - the re-re-reboot (1 Viewer)

Dwayne Rock Johnson leads investment group to buy XFL. 
This thing might survive after all.

Dwayne Rock Johnson leads investment group to buy XFL. 
This thing might survive after all.
The Rock is surprisingly genius at PR stuff and the perfect person to build off of whatever love the league received last year.

That Kevin Hart said "which team is mine" is fun too. His comment like "who starts a business with their ex" did have me hmmmm

That Johnson couldn't make it in the NFL brings intrigue but I don't believe it brings the necessary experience. Anything like "a chance I didn't get" is good for players to here though.

We gotta know who stays and there has to be some football minds that have run franchises, been GMs etc.

I enjoyed several of their coaches and I think they were a draw. If they can keep them or re-sign them that's great, but if not then they gotta know last year's league "nailed it" as far as hiring coaches.

Oliver Luck versus Vince McMahon has to go away. Luck earned a lot of respect and their can't be this negative cloud hanging over the league.

Someone probably needs to do well in the NFL (even if for a game) to get some traction going for the league.

NFL teams signed a few XFL stars, but they didn't go where there is opportunity. I strongly dislike this work by their agents.

Many above average players were NOT signed by NFL teams and this was real curious. The general perception was "we had them, they didn't pan out."

A slew of average XFL players signed and by common perception, they won't make NFL teams because the NFL is more difficult and they were just average in the XFL. 

I don't wish harm to Bridgewater or Mahomes, but that said, if Walker or Ta'amu were to get an opportunity and perform well, it could do wonders for this league. Missing preseason hurt the XFL because some guys could have showed the fans and media that they belong. BUT BUT BUT After XFL fans wishing they'd see Walker or Ta'amu play and being all let down during the NFL season, this could wind up giving the XFL another year of these talents and that would be great. It's just for a minor league to work, there must be a "sell" of success bring an opportunity in "the bigs."

If Drake is truly interested in a team, that'd be a PR dream...at least initially and it could wind up being a big deal $ wise too.

Last season was great. I was very impressed. Year two has to bring some significant improvements though. This wasn't a finished product, but something that would take time to build.

Burnett has always done well. He's too small and smallish and not fast enough to stand out but he gets the darn job done.
He went for some spell of summer camp leading the Titans in receiving and not dropping a pass. He went to the Jets as like eighth WR, played very little, somehow got 2-3 catches each time. Chrebet's old franchise is supposed to know better!

That one handed grab...whew! Eight catches yesterday.

He's gotta learn special teams! Use his body, maybe practice tackling. He's got the WR stuff down and is good enough to be a fourth fifth WR and fill in, but ya gotta play ST in the NFL. Probably hit the weights too.

Luis Perez wasn't all that good last two times I saw him. Little weird he's still adored.
He's definitely a nice charismatic guy that's a good interview. Maybe he brings fans in?

That LB with four sacks- oh my did he look like a man amongst boys as an NFL player should. Loved how focused and tough he was. "All bidness" then smiling and regular chatty dude after the game. He's got that switch to turn off the violence. Too many names for me, sorry. I think he did the best and most chance to be on a roster. Draft reviews were favorable for him but he's too slow. Ya can't call an edge guy too slow if he regularly pressures the QB. Throw the 40 metric out and use time to get to QB- that's the speed or time that matters.

A lot of bad OL play yesterday (not reason for LBs success, he had a whole bag of moves and huge effort) that ....well ya know how they say lines gotta gel in the NFL? The XFL doesn't have time for that. They gotta call better plays with less pulling and switching and do more "you got the guy in front of you" simple stuff. That was kind of naive coach's ego type stuff.

Badet developed some hands I see. His blazing speed has been on a dozen NFL rosters probably so I imagine every NFL team perked their ears up like a dog. He's gotta keep it up and he probably has to make a couple circus catches too even. He also needs to hit and be hit on ST and not just be a gunner that runs right past the return guy. No one believes in his hands, he's gotta keep it up. He's so fast, I think everyone knows his speed.

Beasley didn't impress me so much. More like an old man with tricks on a playground. Nice nice dude, preacher IIRC, I mean good for him and he deserves it but there were several things that led to his demise and he needs to do all those well to get back. Start with perfect tackling technique. Maybe read the play so perfectly that he's waiting for the back to come to him.

I love listening to the replay guys!
I can't see it. I can't! Wait maybe this angle? Nope I can't see it. Ok wait hang on one sec, alright the ball is out and his left knee is down, yep I see it. Call on the field is correct.

The honesty. Thinking out loud. Fast hands with the equipment and the effort. I would definitely be more understanding and tolerable if the NFL did this.

It's so so much better than some ref under a hood looking at a screen.

Maybe I'm wrong but I also wonder...ya know how younger people are better with technology? Do I have a prob with the age of NFL refs using video tech? Do I need a younger guy? I was so conflicted with this thought and my own age yesterday

They took over social media for me. XFL posts everywhere I looked. Their impact was significant. I'm not sure I'd be so down about week one TV numbers.

I'm starting to notice the usfl XFL competition and it's weird that this TV network has one league and that network has another. I can't gauge if that matters so much in this streaming world as it did years ago.

The USFL draft was recently and while I saw tweets announcing picks, I didn't notice anyone sharing thoughts about them like he's a good player that will help this team, fills a void etc. I'm old enough to remember when their draft was a big deal big debate if guys would go there or the NFL. It definitely wasn't that impactful.

Doesn't the USFL season start this weekend or next? It'll be interesting to see what happens when they're on simultaneously.

For me this is pure entertainment. I am not loyal or devoted or any of that. I wonder if many are like me and will just watch football. I really haven't given much thought to comparing the two leagues and making a choice who to watch

Watched a few minutes this weekend. Just not interesting to me. Maybe if I flip on a game and it’s close in the 4th with 5 minutes left, sure I’ll watch that but no way could I sit through a majority of the game like I do nfl. NBA and NHL playoffs are coming up, those are 1000x more interesting.

Battlehawks vs Sea Dragons on Thursday Night XFL

-I looked briefly last week and it looked a little slow. Gonna try to watch some of it tonight.

Dinucci is going to have to go back to his selling hats with Dallas upside down business.
Just under threw a wide open WR on the fade route in the corner, ball just hung up and also was late to get the ball out, was an easy score for most NFL QBs.
Makes you appreciate the NFL, even the lesser teams would crush all these XFL teams.
Attendance looks very small in Seattle, upper deck closed, lowr bowl has a few people in the middle and sparse around the rest of the lower deck. Can't be more than 5,000-7,500 people there IMO.

For me this is pure entertainment. I am not loyal or devoted or any of that. I wonder if many are like me and will just watch football. I really haven't given much thought to comparing the two leagues and making a choice who to watch
Same. i love watching football and both league have some recognizable names to keep me mildly interested.
my main horse in this race is hoping that one of these 2 leagues survives and becomes a true minor league/offseason development league for the NFL.

12-0 lead Seattle jumped out to.
I like the 3 point play from the 10 yd line after you score a TD, potential 9 point play
That was the first one I had seen, Josh Gordon caught the 3-pt add on play, that was fun.
Battlehawks cut it to 12-8 at the Half, again 2-pt play from the 5 after the TD, i like that a lot better than lining up from the 2-3 yd line.

I actually think the way they do replay is an improvement and it feels fast but also Dean Blandino is on point and doesn't make it emotional at all. I thought the game was well ref'd for the most part. The mic when McCarron was complaining about being hit in the head and the Ref calmly points at the flag he threw and says that's why I threw the flag, that was good to overhear.

Some plays are kind of boring but this game was moving fast. 1 hour into the broadcast and we were at the 2:00 warning 1st Half
I like the old school kickoff at 9PM, it was mostly XFL or Lakers/Warriors? There's not much else on, maybe a college basketball game.
Filled up an otherwise boring Thursday Night after I got home from the tennis courts.
Cracked a beer, checked my stocks, watched a couple TD drives, it all worked.

12-0 lead Seattle jumped out to.
I like the 3 point play from the 10 yd line after you score a TD, potential 9 point play
That was the first one I had seen, Josh Gordon caught the 3-pt add on play, that was fun.
Battlehawks cut it to 12-8 at the Half, again 2-pt play from the 5 after the TD, i like that a lot better than lining up from the 2-3 yd line.

I actually think the way they do replay is an improvement and it feels fast but also Dean Blandino is on point and doesn't make it emotional at all. I thought the game was well ref'd for the most part. The mic when McCarron was complaining about being hit in the head and the Ref calmly points at the flag he threw and says that's why I threw the flag, that was good to overhear.

Some plays are kind of boring but this game was moving fast. 1 hour into the broadcast and we were at the 2:00 warning 1st Half
I like the old school kickoff at 9PM, it was mostly XFL or Lakers/Warriors? There's not much else on, maybe a college basketball game.
Filled up an otherwise boring Thursday Night after I got home from the tennis courts.
Cracked a beer, checked my stocks, watched a couple TD drives, it all worked.

I like the 3 point play a lot as well, and the replay does feel more streamlined.
this game had a very exciting ending for sure.

I DVR it and watched it in the background while playing poker with friends online.

Orlando Rengades QB in the huddle early 4th Q, down 27-6 but understand that you can score 9 points on any drive...

"STFU y'all and LISTEN!"

On a hot mic
:lol:

Booth Announcer: "nothing worse than an OL trying to call a play"
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Last edited:
D'Eriq King and Ta'amu is too much for an inexperienced D that hasn't played together long to prepare for

Ranthony Tejada (did I get that right?) had impressive speed on that highlight.
How do you drop back in coverage and sack the QB?
Announcer- I just love how he attacked the opportunity in his head- I couldn't agree more.
The NFL puts too much pressure on CBs when anyone runs wide and where's the other 10? A teammate ought to be able to work with "if he goes, this guy is gonna attack." Keep it simple. He goes, you cover his guy or area. The NFL is so full of hesitation with running QBs coming at them wide.
They had highlights of this guy tackling and he's pretty perfect. Clearly well trained coached up tackles and determined as all to get past blockers and get to the ball.

How bad is he in coverage? What's the rub on this guy?

i’m enjoying watching the Roughnecks play, one of my sons best friends plays wide out for them #80 B Putman. i’ve know the kid since he was 8, he was a tiny kid through high school but was always fast and has no fear. Glad he grew in college and stoked to see him continuing to play

I’m sorry but Spring Football just makes too much sense. Fringe NFL guys trying to prove themselves, showing some flashes. The games are generally entertaining but I admit I DVR them and just jump from play to play. But still….

this STL vs DC game:
1) GREAT to see a full dome with a crowd full of absolutely burned STL a fans after what that putz Kroenke did to them
2) Ricky Proehl’s son I think definitely gets a shot in the NFL this summer

QBs as so hard to find in the NFL and i think 1/3 of these guys are likely to at least get a try out this summer for QB 3 depth on an NFL team. either way, nice to see guys working their butts off, trying to get another shot in the bigs.

I’m sorry but Spring Football just makes too much sense. Fringe NFL guys trying to prove themselves, showing some flashes. The games are generally entertaining but I admit I DVR them and just jump from play to play. But still….

this STL vs DC game:
1) GREAT to see a full dome with a crowd full of absolutely burned STL a fans after what that putz Kroenke did to them
2) Ricky Proehl’s son I think definitely gets a shot in the NFL this summer

QBs as so hard to find in the NFL and i think 1/3 of these guys are likely to at least get a try out this summer for QB 3 depth on an NFL team. either way, nice to see guys working their butts off, trying to get another shot in the bigs.
Proehl's boy thinks too much, least he did last time. Run guy run what are ya doing? He's got similarities to his dad's game n body and they're not fast enough or giants so hesitation kills their game.

I don't think the dome was full. I think lower tier was.
40k right? I think that's a 60-70 k stadium. If so, there's no doubt it's excellent they can talk of needing more space

I usually watch the XFL games throughout the week on my DVR.
Just finished the 6-0 DC Defenders vs the 0-6 Orlando Gaurdians game, and it was really great. Back and worth, down to the wire. Solid playing.

Have been watching bits and pieces as I have time. Has been an entertaining product. QB play is shaky across the board though.
Now the biggest problem starts next week when the USFL starts up again. Then we have 2 spring leagues with marginal talent competing for viewers. I’ve said it from the beginning…I hope these 2 leagues merge/combine so it’s a single, focused spring league effort to build a solid feeder/redemption league for the NFL.
But my gut says that they fight each other for another season or 2 until one league folds and hopefully the one that remains can be a better product.

Have been watching bits and pieces as I have time. Has been an entertaining product. QB play is shaky across the board though.
Now the biggest problem starts next week when the USFL starts up again. Then we have 2 spring leagues with marginal talent competing for viewers. I’ve said it from the beginning…I hope these 2 leagues merge/combine so it’s a single, focused spring league effort to build a solid feeder/redemption league for the NFL.
But my gut says that they fight each other for another season or 2 until one league folds and hopefully the one that remains can be a better product.
I was hoping there would be some players that go from one league to the other but I was surprised there is an overlap.

Launching one right after the Super Bowl is smart. USFL should have launched the weekend after the NFL Draft or 1st weekend in May and wrap up end of July prior to the NFL camps opening.

I enjoyed watching Josh Gordon catch a TD to win a game, that was kinda fun. The overall product is up and down, QB play is shaky as some have noted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread