What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you keep track of your passwords? (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
I'm looking for an app or something to use to be a repository for all my PW"s used for my online sites.  I'd prefer something free but willing to pay if its good.  What do you all use or recommend?

Got mine listed out in an electronic document.  I have recently started a new password system that I hope allows me to remember my passwords better.  I have a certain letter sequence and a certain number sequence that I know I will never forget and use in all my passwords.  I then sandwich the website or app name in between which should be obvious when I am logging in.  This makes all my passwords unique, but with a common template.  So my Footballguys password is essentially the following:  lettersequencefootballguysnumbersequence.   If the account requires a symbol in the password, I use a particular symbol that I throw on the end.  

Got mine listed out in an electronic document.  I have recently started a new password system that I hope allows me to remember my passwords better.  I have a certain letter sequence and a certain number sequence that I know I will never forget and use in all my passwords.  I then sandwich the website or app name in between which should be obvious when I am logging in.  This makes all my passwords unique, but with a common template.  So my Footballguys password is essentially the following:  lettersequencefootballguysnumbersequence.   If the account requires a symbol in the password, I use a particular symbol that I throw on the end.  
So that means if footballguys, or any other web site you use got hacked, once your password gets leaked onto the internet, all someone has to do is replace “footballguys” with the name of the web site they’re trying to log into with your credentials, and they’re in? If so, it sounds no more secure than just using the same password everywhere. 

I use 1Password, works well, worth the nominal cost.

I'm looking for an app or something to use to be a repository for all my PW"s used for my online sites.  I'd prefer something free but willing to pay if its good.  What do you all use or recommend?
Password Safe is  a free, open source tool that my IT security folks at work recommend.

My friend that works for IBM recently told me that security is telling them the most important thing about a password is length.  Special characters, numbers, capital letters aren't nearly as important as length.  They recommended making it a sentence or something.  All the shorter ones are broken easier with brute Force.  When quantum computing comes we are all screwed.

My method is very similar. Besides the bolded*, I add characters, but not whole words, that indicate the type of business and name. Upper case and special characters are added when required.

*I have a couple sets of the common numeric characters that I can get by the 2nd try if I miss on the 1st. The alpha characters are the 1st letters of the words in a sentence that is meaningful to me.

I have this on a spreadsheet, using just "." for the common characters. For example, if I had wells Fargo account, assuming no upper case or special character requirement, it would appear as "ba.wf." in my spreadsheet. I take a picture of the spreadsheet with my phone whenever I update.

So that means if footballguys, or any other web site you use got hacked, once your password gets leaked onto the internet, all someone has to do is replace “footballguys” with the name of the web site they’re trying to log into with your credentials, and they’re in? If so, it sounds no more secure than just using the same password everywhere. 

I use 1Password, works well, worth the nominal cost.
Agreed to an extent.

I saw a story on the local news regarding password security, and Galileo's method was the exact method the local news suggested as how you would "randomize" your password and keep them all different.  However, the local news story was aimed more at preventing a hacker from hacking that specific password, and did not discuss a breach where your password is revealed.

Used to use password protected excel, but recently switched to LastPass as I started to rely on Google Chrome more and more and it got less important to remember specific passwords.  So far, so good, but it is time consuming to switch over passwords one by one. 

My friend that works for IBM recently told me that security is telling them the most important thing about a password is length.  Special characters, numbers, capital letters aren't nearly as important as length.  They recommended making it a sentence or something.  All the shorter ones are broken easier with brute Force.  When quantum computing comes we are all screwed.
https://xkcd.com/936/

I use the same password for everything, but I add the first and last letters of whatever website I'm using.

(However, one flaw in my system is that when a company changes its name or gets bought out, it can be difficult to remember exactly what their old website used to be.)

I use the same password for everything, but I add the first and last letters of whatever website I'm using.

(However, one flaw in my system is that when a company changes its name or gets bought out, it can be difficult to remember exactly what their old website used to be.)
How do you do this when one site requires a special symbol and another will not accept a spec!@l symbol?

Another vote for LastPass here.  It's a lifechanger.  Get the browser extension and the app for your phone, I haven't remembered or typed a password in ages. 

How do you do this when one site requires a special symbol and another will not accept a spec!@l symbol?
I replace the symbol with the number associated with it on the keyboard.

Not saying this is a perfect system (some sites require a specific number of characters for their passwords, which messes with everything). But I trust it more than I trust giving all my passwords to an app.

:goodposting:

I pay for the premium version and it's great.  Works really well with IOS and face ID or fingerprint
What does the Premium version of LastPass get you that the Free version does not have (I can't tell the difference when comparing on their website)?

I replace the symbol with the number associated with it on the keyboard.

Not saying this is a perfect system (some sites require a specific number of characters for their passwords, which messes with everything). But I trust it more than I trust giving all my passwords to an app.
as someone who works on cloud infrastructure and sees the security risks, i think i agree.

I remember them... If I forget one, I hit "forgot password"
Same here.  Most of mine are auto-loaded into my browsers (is this not smart?  :oldunsure: ) but for ones I have to enter, my memory is still sharp enough to remember them.  If I don't, I reset.

What does the Premium version of LastPass get you that the Free version does not have (I can't tell the difference when comparing on their website)?
Good question.  One that at this point I admit I couldn't even answer  :bag:   I think they've changed what features are premium and what are free since I became a premium subscriber, 3-4 years ago maybe.  I think at that point you needed premium to use it on multiple devices?  Back then it was only $12 per year and I know there was some essential feature that was locked behind premium.

Bottom line is that it doesn't look like premium is that important these days as long as I can get auto fill in applications, and utilizing face ID.  You probably saved me $36 per year :lmao:  

https://www.cloudwards.net/lastpass-review/

Same here.  Most of mine are auto-loaded into my browsers (is this not smart?  :oldunsure: ) but for ones I have to enter, my memory is still sharp enough to remember them.  If I don't, I reset.
IDK the stats, but my suspicion is most passwords are stolen via a phising scheme, so no matter how strong a PW someone might have, it wouldn't matter in that scenario. 

Simply avoid opening unknown emails and certainly don't click on unknown links. If an email comes in from a bank or place that you have a subscription, check the email address it was sent from before clicking on a link. It might look exactly like an email from Chase, but if the address it came from (which a lot of people don't check) is something like JPMalerts.business@gmail.com, someone is trying to steal your ####. 

I've been meaning to look into one of these since last month when my Google account got hacked from some place IN ACTUAL F###ING RUSSIA.  I got that email alerting me and changed my password faster than you can blink.

i generally don't do this if the site is related to my financials.

I write everything on a sheet of paper.  Nobody can read my handwriting even if they broke into my office and found this single piece of paper in a mislabeled folder.

In the coast guard we are still using Microsoft outlook for email so I use the sticky notes in there to keep all my passwords. I can sync them with my iPhone and I have them on there as well.

I gave up a while ago.  Chrome for everything but bank, brokerage, and 401K.  

I do maintain a Keepass database too, though I need it less and less due to Chrome and mobile apps.

Users who are viewing this thread