What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

The Noid said:
FS1 showed the Miracle at the New Meadowlands game last night. The Eagles twitter account also live-tweeted it and a few players from the game posted reactions/insights after the key plays. 

It was the first time I've seen the comeback in game form. The day of the game I turned it off in utter frustration and anger after the Boss TD made it 31-10 in the 4th quarter. Walked out of the room and went and did something else. Didn't know they won until I saw the highlights on ESPN or something a couple hours later.  :wall:

Still have never seen the Joe Carter homer in '93. As soon as I saw/heard the ball hit his bat, I hit "off" on the remote, tossed it across the room, and didn't talk or read about the game for a couple days. To this day, I turn away if it it's ever shown in a highlight. :crazy:
Go ahead and get it over with

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5HwiGm7lg

I've been hearing rumors about a trade for Keenan Allen. I have to think that he could be had for a third round pick if available,  right?

I've been hearing rumors about a trade for Keenan Allen. I have to think that he could be had for a third round pick if available,  right?
I would love to have Allen.  Just sucks that he's in the last year of his contract and becomes a UFA after.  But I guess that could get us a compensatory pick if we don't resign him?  In that case, I'd for sure trade a 3rd for him.  Makes sense for the Chargers to ship him now, they're in full rebuild and probably lose him next year anyways.

Are you hearing this from your sources?  I know you've had some inside info in the past so was just wondering since I can't find really anything on this rumour online.

Are you hearing this from your sources?  I know you've had some inside info in the past so was just wondering since I can't find really anything on this rumour online.
No, he's still in the nfl, but hasn't been with the Eagles in a long while. 

I can't remember where I saw this. Apparently the Chargers think they have little chance to resign him so he will be available on draft day. Also heard rumors of him to the Vikings. 

No, he's still in the nfl, but hasn't been with the Eagles in a long while. 

I can't remember where I saw this. Apparently the Chargers think they have little chance to resign him so he will be available on draft day. Also heard rumors of him to the Vikings. 
Ya I thought I remember he went to the Colts. 

Haven't seen much news on it but I hope it's true.  Vikings also make sense... maybe more sense than us.  Would love to add him and a rookie to our corps.  Maybe if they take the cap we can send them Alshon in the deal and give them a better pick.

Still have never seen the Joe Carter homer in '93. As soon as I saw/heard the ball hit his bat, I hit "off" on the remote, tossed it across the room, and didn't talk or read about the game for a couple days. To this day, I turn away if it it's ever shown in a highlight. :crazy:
Still pissed Fregosi brought Mitch in for the 9th.  Don't remember what our other options were at the time but had no faith in him especially after that 15-14 game debacle.  I was up in Canada for the first time for spring break in 1997 and I guess crossing the border reminded me because somehow I ended up complaining about Joe Carter to a girl I was hitting on in a bar in Montreal, still worked out though... damn those Canadians are nice people.

Still pissed Fregosi brought Mitch in for the 9th.  Don't remember what our other options were at the time but had no faith in him especially after that 15-14 game debacle.  I was up in Canada for the first time for spring break in 1997 and I guess crossing the border reminded me because somehow I ended up complaining about Joe Carter to a girl I was hitting on in a bar in Montreal, still worked out though... damn those Canadians are nice people.
There really weren't any other options. That bullpen was old and full of dead arms, if I remember correctly. I was in college and yelled No the second it left the bat. It was out of the park so fast. I couldn't turn the TV off fast enough.

There really weren't any other options. That bullpen was old and full of dead arms, if I remember correctly. I was in college and yelled No the second it left the bat. It was out of the park so fast. I couldn't turn the TV off fast enough.
@2008Philz on Twitter used to do a daily recap of the 2008 season the past few years so you could re-live that championship season in real-time. This year, to change it up, he's doing 1993. Great follow for any Phillies fan. We're off to an 8-1 start and things are starting to feel charmed...

@2008Philz on Twitter used to do a daily recap of the 2008 season the past few years so you could re-live that championship season in real-time. This year, to change it up, he's doing 1993. Great follow for any Phillies fan. We're off to an 8-1 start and things are starting to feel charmed...
It was a magical season that ended horribly. Such a fun team of cavemen and before we realized everyone was juicing.

I was in high school and had just gotten my drivers license in 1993.  Found out a friend on the track team had a dad managing in the ticket office.  Got him to get us tickets to 1993 opening day.  Still remember driving in a bit late and watching a skydiver parachute in (with the first pitch?) as we were walking into the park.  Had been to a ton of games but just felt some extra energy in the park that day.  Great start to a special season, will have to go back and watch some season recaps now and track down that ticket stub in my pile of old ones.  Just followed @2008Philz, thanks!

ETA: Just saw on @2008Philz that the skydiver was the Phanatic!  How did I not remember that?

ETA2: Opening day was 6 days before my 17th birthday, guess I was riding shotgun instead of driving.

Memory is funny 27 years after the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
We miss sports so much that we're talking baseball in a football thread 😆

Btw, the exact moment I *knew* '93 was going to be a special season was the Mother's Day/Mariano Duncan game

We miss sports so much that we're talking baseball in a football thread 😆
I'm actually surprised there's not more activity in here.  I thought with all this time at home, people would be passing the time talking sports but it seems less people are on here these days.

I'm actually surprised there's not more activity in here.  I thought with all this time at home, people would be passing the time talking sports but it seems less people are on here these days.
I would guess more people logged in from work than they did from home.

Hey All, its been a few years since I’ve posted here and I haven’t played FF in a really long time but I’ve been watching more football this offseason and looking at the Eagles draft options so thought I’d share a few thoughts.

There a *lot* of mocks with Jefferson going to the Eagles at 21, and I do think he’s in a tier of his own after the Big 3, but I’m not sold on that being the best choice.

My concern with Jefferson, is that while the Eagles employ both Ertz and Goeddert (for at least the next 2 years) those two players will get significant number of snaps in slot alignments and the Eagles main WR need is for somebody who projects with the capability to line up at X or Z add a vertical element to the passing game.

The main challenge here over the last 2 years has been that the Eagles passing game has mostly been confined to sub 20 yard passes between the hash marks.  Apart from that one glorious half of football from DJax, their ability to throw deep and outside the numbers has been poor.

Does Jefferson change this, or is he competing for the same targets that would go to Ertz and Goeddert?   I believe all but 5 of his snaps this season were from the slot.  The previous year he played outside with less success.

The comparison between Matthews and Jefferson to me is more along the lines that he may be the same kind of high floor / low ceiling type of player.

I have opinions but don't pretend to be an expert scout, but the way Mims and Reagor are profiled seems a better fit long term (after the big 3 obviously) even if they will probably have less Year 1 success.

One of my peeves with Eagles high WR picks going back to the 2000s  is that that they have mostly drafted guys who didn't really have any special traits, with the obvious exception being DJax's speed.  Only him and Maclin had the kind of production which justified their draft position.

If we do move up for one of the big 3 WR's, rank them in terms of best fit for our offense/who you would want most.
For the Eagles, I’d rank them Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb.

Wentz doesn’t seem to like throwing contested balls on the outside all that much so I’d be prioritising guys who can separate.  Watch Jeudy’s highlights, the route running is just sick.  He makes sharp cuts at speed, knows how to work the route stem to set up defenders for the break and literally makes guys fall over.

Hey All, its been a few years since I’ve posted here and I haven’t played FF in a really long time but I’ve been watching more football this offseason and looking at the Eagles draft options so thought I’d share a few thoughts.
Good to have you back man, you've been missed.  Good insight and I agree, Jefferson just doesn't do it for me for our system.  Are you still in Australia?  I was living down there this year for a few months until a couple weeks ago when I had to come home early due to the situation in the world right now.

Here’s some later round WRs who could be the 2nd guy we take:

I like John Hightower.  Top shelf long speed and acceleration, and showed flashes of being able to beat press and separate on shorter routes.  Was able to track and adjust to the ball in the air and showed decent hands.  They ran him on some reverses and he cuts upfield and inside, doesn't just head for the sideline on those.  Needs to separate because he won't win many contested balls.  Apart from the speed, the other stuff is there but inconsistent.

I watched Devin Duvernay as well, he has the speed but seems very stiff and straight-line.  I think he'll find it tough to separate if he's not running away from people.  He'll be able to stretch zone coverages and challenge deep safeties, but if he's covered in man by someone who can run with him, I think he's shut out.

Van Jefferson is another one I like, I think he could be an Avant like guy in the slot.  He looks like someone who can uncover against man on shorter routes, as well as work smart against zone coverages.

Antonio Gibson I think is really intriguing as well, as a slot WR / RB (eventually, might start him with a single role because of his inexperience).  He's so explosive with the ball in his hands.

Hightower or Jefferson in maybe Rd 4, Duvernay would have to be much later to be worthwhile to me.  Where you go with the 2nd WR pick (and I think they should take 2) depends on what you do with the first.

Wentz doesn’t seem to like throwing contested balls on the outside all that much so I’d be prioritising guys who can separate.  Watch Jeudy’s highlights, the route running is just sick.  He makes sharp cuts at speed, knows how to work the route stem to set up defenders for the break and literally makes guys fall over.
Jeudy has grown on me for us.  I had Lamb way ahead but now I have Jeudy-Lamb-Ruggs in that order but they're all SO CLOSE.

Good to have you back man, you've been missed.  Good insight and I agree, Jefferson just doesn't do it for me for our system.  Are you still in Australia?  I was living down there this year for a few months until a couple weeks ago when I had to come home early due to the situation in the world right now.
Yep, still here. 😀 I love where I live, don’t think I’ll ever move.  Where were you while you were in Oz?

Keenan Allen rumor

it's the only thing I can find that mentions the possibility, but it seems purely this one writer's take and not actual league rumor.
Ya I read that one too. The big thing that bothered me about that article was the pricetag. 

He says: We're thinking that the Eagles could send their 2020 second-round pick and defensive end Derek Barnett (in a similar contract situation to Williams) to the Chargers in exchange for Allen and a 2020 fifth-round pick.

HELL NO!

Exactly. The entire bullpen was awful in that series (and most of the playoffs) except for Roger Mason, whom I believe had already appeared in the game. David West's numbers were astronomically bad, way worse than even Mitch's. 

The Eagles put themselves in this position. And there’s only one way out.

The cupboard is essentially bare. The Eagles go into the draft with four receivers with more than a game or two of NFL experience under contract:

1.) DeSean Jackson, who is 33 years old, was limited to one healthy game last year and has reached 800 yards once in the last five years.

2.) Alshon Jeffery, who is 30 years old, out with a foot injury until late October at the earliest, coming off the worst season of his career and doesn’t seem to particularly like the quarterback.

3.) J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, a second-year pro who had a miserable rookie season.

4.) Greg Ward, showed late-season promise as a slot with 28 catches in the last six games.

And that’s it.

Maybe the Eagles can coax one more electrifying season out of DeSean. Maybe Alshon can recall his 2017 form with a big second half. Maybe JJAW will surprise us all.

But like Howie Roseman said in January, “Hope is not a strategy.”

The Eagles did the right thing by cutting ties with Nelson Agholor, who needed a change of scenery if he’s going to have any chance of reviving his career.

But by going through the first 3 ½ months of the offseason without picking so much as a practice squad receiver, the Eagles have put themselves in the position where they can’t afford to draft the best available player.

They need to go into the draft with two goals in mind:

1) Draft the best receiver available.

2) Draft the next-best receiver available.

The Eagles pick at No. 21, 53 and 103 next week, and they would be making a grave mistake if they don’t come out of the first three rounds with two wide receivers.

As we’ve all heard over the past couple months, this draft has unprecedented depth at wideout. I wrote recently about the talent that will be available in thesecond round or third round.

The one thing we can all agree on about Roseman is that he's always aggressive, and he has to be, since it’s unlikely an elite game-changing receiver will be sitting there at 21.

If the first round starts out like we expect, Roseman owes it to Carson Wentz and the entire franchise to do everything he can to get out of 21 and move up to land Justin Jefferson or another top WR if he starts slipping.

If he can’t, then he’s got to try and trade down out of 21 and get himself a pick and land two receivers out of that next group – potentially guys like Tee Higgins, Jalen Reagor, K.J. Hamler, Laviska Shenault Jr. and Brandon Aiyuk.

If Howie gets stuck at 21 – which is possible, because there’s not a lot of motivation for teams to get from the mid 20s to early 30s down to 21 – then go best available with someone like Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray, Alabama safety Xavier McKinney or Penn State edge rusher Yetur Gross-Matos.

Then hit WR at 53 and 103.

Best-available is a sound philosophy under normal circumstances. But these aren’t normal circumstances.

The Eagles invested a ton of money and draft picks on a quarterback who when healthy has shown signs of being a generational player.

If that’s going to happen, he needs a generational player or two to throw the football to.

And next week will be the Eagles’ best chance ever to get them.

They have no choice.

Not really active on here that much, but count me in as one nervous about what we are going to do at WR. I am NOT in the Jefferson camp, basically for all the reasons listed - seems high floor/low(er) ceiling and we have guys that work the middle right now. Sure if we let Ertz walk and only have Dallas Goedert, I'd be more inclined. Still want Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs in that order. Got Mims at 4 on my board, although I do admit the prospect of developing a "raw" WR with our coaching staff seems like a risk. Ready to see how it plays out though for sure. Would like to move Jones AND Rasul if we can get picks for this draft. 

I admit I don't watch college football so know little about players coming out, but everything I read about Jefferson just reminds me of Jordan Matthews when he was drafted. Is that a bad take? His first time around he was a solid, volume receiver that did nothing special.

I admit I don't watch college football so know little about players coming out, but everything I read about Jefferson just reminds me of Jordan Matthews when he was drafted. Is that a bad take? His first time around he was a solid, volume receiver that did nothing special.
The more I watch some of the other WRs the more I'm warming up on Jefferson.  The hands are a different deal to start with, JMatt couldn't shake the drops and Jefferson's hands are fantastic.  His body control and ability to adjust to the ball in the air are also really good.  He doesn't have great top end speed similar to Matthews (even though they both ran mid 4.4s) but he does show more shiftiness and the potential to separate better vs. man.

Still don't think he's a guy you line up outside the numbers and leave there, but as a movement Z, or with reduced splits to keep the 2 way go option, I think he could be on the field in 12 personnel with Jackson as X.

I'm down to 1 or 5 but ultimately settled on 5 because you get a dog.
think i'm leaning in on 5 too. i'd be worried Gritty would sucker punch me like he did that kid. living with Ben and Embiid could be a good time, and i would love to see Embiid doing whatever competitive talking S to all kinds of people

think i'm leaning in on 5 too. i'd be worried Gritty would sucker punch me like he did that kid. living with Ben and Embiid could be a good time, and i would love to see Embiid doing whatever competitive talking S to all kinds of people
You have to pick 5.  It has 'mo dog'

have to watch week 1 again. i thuink Wentz loved throwing outside to DJax a ton. 

Sure seems like we are trading up for somebody.  Lamb is going to cost alot though.  Like move into the top ten price.  We can move up like 5 to ten spots and get jeudy/ruggs cheaper .  I will be happy either way but I would be a little shocked if we move into the top ten

Sure seems like we are trading up for somebody.  Lamb is going to cost alot though.  Like move into the top ten price.  We can move up like 5 to ten spots and get jeudy/ruggs cheaper .  I will be happy either way but I would be a little shocked if we move into the top ten
Don't think we need to get into top 10 for any of them.  But yes, 11-15 is where all the WR action is going to go down.  If we can trade up for Jeudy I'd be all for it.  Would probably be slightly cheaper than trading up for Lamb.

Thing with the trade up is, all of those teams in that 11-15 spots want WR's.  I don't know who realistically is going to WANT to trade back.  So I guess I contradicted myself a bit, we may actually need to move into the top 10 to leap frog wr-needy teams.

Don't think we need to get into top 10 for any of them.  But yes, 11-15 is where all the WR action is going to go down.  If we can trade up for Jeudy I'd be all for it.  Would probably be slightly cheaper than trading up for Lamb.

Thing with the trade up is, all of those teams in that 11-15 spots want WR's.  I don't know who realistically is going to WANT to trade back.  So I guess I contradicted myself a bit, we may actually need to move into the top 10 to leap frog wr-needy teams.
Thats what I'm saying I think we need to get to 9 maybe even 7 for lamb.   Arizona might take him at 8

And if one of those wr needy teams decides to also move up it will get expensive quickly

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I'm saying I think we need to get to 9 maybe even 7 for lamb.   Arizona might take him at 8

And if one of those wr needy teams decides to also move up it will get expensive quickly
Arizona seems unlikely but never know. Kirk, Hopkins and Lamb would almost be a waste. 

yeah, don't see AZ doing that now

they could really use OL and will be in a good spot for that
So many stud OL worthy of top 15 picks.  I think its a total no brainer for Arizona to draft one of them.  Or maybe they'll move back for a team desperate for one of those WR's.

Personally, I think we will either make a splash to land Yannick or a trade up to get a WR. Howie is a smart guy, and while not perfect. seems to learn from his lessons. I expect big things. 

Will it be cheaper to trade up considering the uncertainty surrounding this draft? #Lamb
Good question.  I'm really not sure, but I don't think it will make too much of a difference.  Perhaps SLIGHTLY cheaper but we aren't moving up for Lamb for cheap.

Personally, I think we will either make a splash to land Yannick or a trade up to get a WR. Howie is a smart guy, and while not perfect. seems to learn from his lessons. I expect big things. 
I think Yannick will be traded after the draft when the Jags don't have any choice but to accept a 2021 pick.  Only way I'd be on board is if the pick was no higher than a 2nd and a contract was signed with the trade.  Yannick has been good and consistent but it's not like he's Khalil Mack or Von Miller.  

I think Yannick will be traded after the draft when the Jags don't have any choice but to accept a 2021 pick.  Only way I'd be on board is if the pick was no higher than a 2nd and a contract was signed with the trade.  Yannick has been good and consistent but it's not like he's Khalil Mack or Von Miller.  
And how much money would that be tied up into the DL??  Would have to be the most expensive (and possibly the best) line in the league by a long shot? (Guessing here)

Users who are viewing this thread