What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

That's one of the Eagles' "What If" from the same series: What if...Randall never got hurt in '91?

Take note of all the "could", "may have" and "I can’t sit here and say the Eagles would have" phrases. 
Fog Bowl what if

Randall injury what if

Jerome Brown death what if

Poor timing of the start of modern free agency what if

Norman Braman being the worst owner in pro sports history what if(ok last one is a stretch but my dislike of that guy runs deep)

Two interesting fan-related rankings I saw recently:

Most pre-snap penalties drawn at home, last 5 seasons (per ESPN Stats):

1. Eagles 126
  2. Chiefs 112
  3. TItans 105
  4. Steelers 102
  5. Ravens/Cardinals 100
Forbes's "Most Passionate Sports Fans", across all sports:

1. Packers
  2. Patriots
  3. Saints
  4. Steelers
  5. Eagles
Yikes. Patriots 2? Saints 3? I mean if being fairweather counts as a "passion" then sure.

Saints have a lot of passion. Its just tears. 

1. Eagles 126
  2. Chiefs 112
  3. TItans 105
  4. Steelers 102
  5. Ravens/Cardinals 100
Surprising not to see Seattle near the top. And this doesn't bode well for us, as far as possible impact due to playing games in an empty Linc. 

Surprising not to see Seattle near the top. And this doesn't bode well for us, as far as possible impact due to playing games in an empty Linc. 
What's the breakdown of that 126 on Oline vs Dline?  It might not all be attributed to just noise.

and KC (with Seattle) seeing as how those are two of the top home field advantage teams in the league for many years now and that includes pre-Mahomes and pre-Andy.

Shady rumours hitting.  Could he be the 'vet backup' we end up signing?
I have zero interest bringing this clown back. I had Zero problem bringing Jackson back. Besides the obvious he was my favorite Eagle during the time period he was here the first time he fit a need and had also matured a lot. Shady really hasn't grown up, has had a few off the field incidents since leaving, from what I heard did not take losing his job in Buffalo and a very good professional matter (Thats all I was told no details), and honestly I think he's damaged goods. Hindsight 20/20 Chip had the right idea trading him when he still had great value. The issue was what was given back was not great in value. Andy Reid had him as a healthy scratch numerous games last year including the SB. What does that tell ya? He's not really a need at this point either and if we are signing a Veteran back I'd rather get Hyde or a big bruiser. 

Really? Thought they would have disappeared after that awful rap video they did. Take the L, move on. 
Saints fans are becoming some of the most whiniest crybabies ever. They remind me of the met trolls I use to see on The Phillies message board who afrer losing to us pulled out every excuse in the book for the loss, Saints fans have become so obnoxious for a franchise that has one title. The franchise as a whole has been on of the biggest laughing stocks since entering the league. Plus I think we were gonna destroy anyone in that NFCC title game. Also had Foles played better in the playoff game vs NO we beat them 2 yrs ago especially if Jeffrey doesn't drop that pass. Saints fans really do take after their Coach. Then again the dude was a cowgirls player and coach so he's use to being a sore loser at this point. 

I still can't believe we were up 14-0 on the Saints and loss. The Foles Faithful seem to brush that performance under the rug some, but man we should have really beat them up. Losing Brooks was the turning point. 

The If Game is always fun.
They also forget about his bad performance against the Bucs horrendous Secondary in a game we should've won that same season. It was one of the first games of the new year after the SB. TB secondary was worse then ours believe it or not. I remember having Jeffery and Foles going in fantasy as all the experts said start anyone on the Eagles offense from Foles and anyone who can catch a ball as they'll have a great day. Foles threw for over 300 yds but had 1 TD. Most of those yards came on like 3 or 4 big plays. This was the game Fitz lit us up and not even 11 secs in DeSean took one to the house. Foles was off on a few passes that game that should've been picked off. 

Also Foles that last season he was here when he took over for Wentz again was pretty under whelming as a whole. Both 2018 coming off the ACL and needing a few more weeks Foles started the year and was pretty avg at QB. Then when he went in for Wentz after the back he was lousy. But most of the Foles faithful forgets all of that for some reason and when Bringing Wentz injury history up forget Foles HAS NEVER PLAYED A FULL 16 GAME SEASON and Andy had to talk him out of retirement. 

Yeah. I mean i have heard so many "if Dez caught it" scenarios over the years, b/c they were going to march in and take out Seattle and also beat Brady in the Super Bowl that year. 

Neither fans' franchises have much room if you ask me w the way the Saints were bountie'ing guys up and the non stop signing of turds in Dallas. 

Ok rant over. Stop crying is all really. 
There's also been rumors with them along with SEA for pumping in fake Crowd noise for yrs now. ATL got caught in 2016 but theres been talk of both SEA and NO doing this. 

Two interesting fan-related rankings I saw recently:

1. Eagles 126
  2. Chiefs 112
  3. TItans 105
  4. Steelers 102
  5. Ravens/Cardinals 100
Forbes's "Most Passionate Sports Fans", across all sports:

1. Packers
  2. Patriots
  3. Saints
  4. Steelers
  5. Eagles
I'm shocked the Saints and Seahawks aren't in the first 1. The 2nd one is laughable to including the Patriots in the top 5. I have family from Boston and during the 90s no one would be caught dead wearing Patriots gear. It was only after NE became good again they all acted like they were with them 24/7/365 the whole time. GB deserves the #1 title and like it or not Steelers fans are passionate and just as much as we are. Saints fans not sure I'd call that much as passion as I would sheer ignorance

Funny short Patriots related story here though. I had a co worker who's name is Sam who was pretty lazy but for whatever reason was a big Tom Brady/NE Fan. Like obsessed with Brady. Anyone she's uh em how can I say this nicely? A little too passionate at times. After the Eagles won the SB I heard she was crying and yelling at neighbors to shut up (F this F this a lot of other colorful language) all for neighbors just being happy about the SB win. No one was rubbing it in to her like she always does (She's a sore winner and Loser type fan). Anyway she got fired for lying on her workman's comp (Not sure extent she had a back issue but we believe it wasn't work related she just made it worse with what she did at work). So March FA this year rolls along and Brady shocks the world and signs with TB. So my one coworker who I use to ##### and complain about the Eagles with every MON or Tues morning during the Reid and Chip Era (It was more like us council one another), decided to go checkout the facebook page of one of the Boston websites to see what was being said about Brady in the comments. Low and behold there's a comment by someone with some choice words for Brady ( won't repeat on here to risk suspension but if NE every accuses us of Booing Irving down they look like hypocrites) in the comment section. Than all the fun begins the Name of the poster is Sam with the SAME LAST NAME. However the comment is by a male. Best part is the dude is a Boston Cop. Not sure how well received this guy got when BPD 1 got a hold of his comment. It was ironic but funny at the same time because when she was fired she went on our Work company website and basically started throwing people under the bus saying we sell out of date products in dairy (We don't) going after my SD and ASD and saying no one worked with her disabilities (Which she never told them about), etc. Just ironic how this all happened in a matter of months from one another.  

and KC (with Seattle) seeing as how those are two of the top home field advantage teams in the league for many years now and that includes pre-Mahomes and pre-Andy.
I know I commented on SEA not being there but my Co workers son who worked for the Chiefs has coached in both Arrowhead and Century Link and swears on his brother's grave that SEA noise of crowd is severely overrated. My cousin who lives in SEA who has season tickets to the games (More of a work thing still a huge Eagles fan) has even said the noise level at Century is overrated. T I've heard this from several people including players though but still I'm shocked they didn't make it. There's been a few rumors over the years of SEA pumping crowd noise and the World Record Decibel they set may have had crowd noised pumped in as well. Again just rumors nothing concrete

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL: "No team can start their off-season program, in-person, until all teams can safely and legally do so in their state. We want to ensure no team has a competitive advantage over the other teams."

Also the NFL: "Dallas and Detroit can have a competitive advantage every year because, tradition."

In 19 seasons since Thursday Night Football was introduced, Dallas is the only team to have never played an away Thursday night game on a short week. The Eagles have had to do it 6 times. 

And if it always seems like we're playing a team coming off their bye (or mini-bye/Thursday game), it's because we usually are:

[The Eagles] have played 44 opponents the last decade who had over a week to prepare. It was the most of any team in the NFL (avg of 29).
After having to do this 4 or 5 times each season the last 10 years, we finally get a break this season with 0 opponents coming off bye (and also no Thursday road game.) That's, of course, assuming the schedule gets played as designed and isn't altered by COVID...

In search of programming content, WIP is doing "Once And For All" week, to settle long-standing Philly sports debates. Yesterday's topic - Donovan McNabb: underrated or overrated?

I agree with the consensus; thought it then and still do now that he was under-appreciated by many of the fans because of not winning a Super Bowl (same with Andy Reid.) My perspective is/was that he's a player that regularly gave us a chance to win it for almost a decade. That was more than what most teams could say about their QB. But it seemed like too many times fans wanted to discount him as a "bum who can't win the big one" and were delusional to think we could just pull someone else who could out of thin air, at a moment's notice. 

Even with that said, he's not without flaws. He was/is a big baby about the draft boos, always had an awkward relationship with the fans/city, and definitely "heaved" in the Super Bowl huddle (Jon Runyan, in a small Q&A with season ticket holders that I was at a few years ago said he "absolutely heaved" but couldn't confirm if it was wet or dry), but I've always given him the benefit of the doubt that it was due to heat/exertion/conditioning, and not nerves/wimpiness. 

Some notes from Doug's virtual presser today:

• Approaching season with Dillard as our starting LT
  • Still in contact with Jason Peters (my read: they are waiting on him to give in and accept a deal as a back-up and/or keeping him on speed dial in case Dillard looks awful in camp)
  • All vets logged in for first day of virtual meetings; participation has been great since
  • Lack of "grass time" is biggest challenge to evaluating progress, especially for rookies; need to see them on the field
  • If they start training camp on time, feels the team will be ready for the season
  • Sudfeld is entering camp as #2, but it's an open competition (my read: if he does bad and Hurts impresses or they sign a vet, that could change)
  • Change to the offense won't be noticeable to naked eye, since this is a Super Bowl-winning offense, but adjustments will be noticed by the players (my read: this is BS and he doesn't want to broadcast what they really have in mind. At least, I hope that's the case, because the Wing-T was a championship winning offense, too, but the game evolves.)
  • Got a new vacuum and has been running wild with it throughout the house

Doug on JP.  Coachspeak?  Negotiation tool?  Truly want to start Dillard?

We have a ton of confidence — I have a ton of confidence — in Andre Dillard playing that left tackle spot,” Pederson said. “This is why we drafted Andre Dillard. You look at his skill set and what he brings to our offense and what he brings to the Philadelphia Eagles it fits right in line with everything that coach Stout talks about, teaches, preaches about and what we are as an offense.  With Jason Peters, listen, we’ve always said we’d stay in touch with him during the offseason and we have,” he said. “Jason Peters is a tremendous not only football player but he’s a tremendous Philadelphia Eagle, and I have a lot of respect for a guy like Jason Peters who played that left tackle position for so many years at a high level, so I have a lot of respect for his game and what he has accomplished in his career. But as we move forward, Andre Dillard was a guy we drafted to be that left tackle for us. The way Andre played last year kind of propels him into this offseason where he’s taken command of that role.

Some notes from Doug's virtual presser today:

• Approaching season with Dillard as our starting LT
  • Still in contact with Jason Peters (my read: they are waiting on him to give in and accept a deal as a back-up and/or keeping him on speed dial in case Dillard looks awful in camp)
  • All vets logged in for first day of virtual meetings; participation has been great since
  • Lack of "grass time" is biggest challenge to evaluating progress, especially for rookies; need to see them on the field
  • If they start training camp on time, feels the team will be ready for the season
  • Sudfeld is entering camp as #2, but it's an open competition (my read: if he does bad and Hurts impresses or they sign a vet, that could change)
  • Change to the offense won't be noticeable to naked eye, since this is a Super Bowl-winning offense, but adjustments will be noticed by the players (my read: this is BS and he doesn't want to broadcast what they really have in mind. At least, I hope that's the case, because the Wing-T was a championship winning offense, too, but the game evolves.)
  • Got a new vacuum and has been running wild with it throughout the house
- Posted before I read your 'my read'.  So sounds like Dillard is the starter even if we sign Peters?  That would go against the consensus in here.

- Rookie WR's are going to be so tough.  Unlikely they all make the team so how are we going to decide??

- Fully agree on the Offense thing being coachspeak.  This is going to be a totally new style of offense.

I think it should be Dillard's job unless he is just awful in training camp. You brought the guy in for a reason. To be the next starter. It's his time now. If JP comes back, it's for leadership and depth. He only has enough left to be the spot starter now anyway.  The page has been turned.

NFL: "No team can start their off-season program, in-person, until all teams can safely and legally do so in their state. We want to ensure no team has a competitive advantage over the other teams."

Also the NFL: "Dallas and Detroit can have a competitive advantage every year because, tradition."

In 19 seasons since Thursday Night Football was introduced, Dallas is the only team to have never played an away Thursday night game on a short week. The Eagles have had to do it 6 times. 

And if it always seems like we're playing a team coming off their bye (or mini-bye/Thursday game), it's because we usually are:

After having to do this 4 or 5 times each season the last 10 years, we finally get a break this season with 0 opponents coming off bye (and also no Thursday road game.) That's, of course, assuming the schedule gets played as designed and isn't altered by COVID...
I believe the Eagles and a few other teams proposed a new rule of having Dal and DET alternate playing thanksgiving every other year as a home team. 

In search of programming content, WIP is doing "Once And For All" week, to settle long-standing Philly sports debates. Yesterday's topic - Donovan McNabb: underrated or overrated?

I agree with the consensus; thought it then and still do now that he was under-appreciated by many of the fans because of not winning a Super Bowl (same with Andy Reid.) My perspective is/was that he's a player that regularly gave us a chance to win it for almost a decade. That was more than what most teams could say about their QB. But it seemed like too many times fans wanted to discount him as a "bum who can't win the big one" and were delusional to think we could just pull someone else who could out of thin air, at a moment's notice. 

Even with that said, he's not without flaws. He was/is a big baby about the draft boos, always had an awkward relationship with the fans/city, and definitely "heaved" in the Super Bowl huddle (Jon Runyan, in a small Q&A with season ticket holders that I was at a few years ago said he "absolutely heaved" but couldn't confirm if it was wet or dry), but I've always given him the benefit of the doubt that it was due to heat/exertion/conditioning, and not nerves/wimpiness. 
Apparently Cataldi laid into McNabb pretty good. All I'll say is this on the issue. Cataldi is an idiot who embarrassed our city with the dirty 30. Shaun Young the SUperfan admitted it was one of the stupidest things he was part of and when Angelo tried to get it back together when McNabb comeback and said no. Cataldi is an idiot in his hatred for McNabb and Andy Reid. 

As for McNabb the player he gave us our successful seasons since the 1960s and all. He came up short at times but most of that cannot be blamed on him. Some of it is on coaching where others is personal decisions. This doesn't defend some of McNabb's terrible performances either just that he can't take full blame

As for the person yes he caused some of hs own issues with fans. People fault him for TO leaving but TO screwed TO. Yes McNabb could've done better with fans and media but a part me  thinks he's never gotten over what happened on draft day and that's on Angelo and company. I still feel Shaun Young feels personally hurt by this. Just from talking to hm and how he talks about the situation it really eats him up and wishes he never did it. I think McNabb never got over it. It may sound bad but I don't think he's ever forgiven either 

According to reports the Eagles have interest in FA RB Devonte Freeman. I like it. I've always loved Freeman since college. He has some fumbling issues and injury history but I don't think the FUmbling issues should be a huge problem. Eagles may have fixed Miles Sanders issue with that already. He fits perfectly for what the team wants in their RBs, he's still fairly young but  he won't be over worked in the Philly Offense. Sanders/Freeman/Scott/Holyfield or one of the UDFA's is a dangerous Backfield 

DJackson10 said:
According to reports the Eagles have interest in FA RB Devonte Freeman.
Also saw Seattle is interested, too, and the offer might be up-to $4MM for 1-year. No thanks, if he's looking for anywhere near that. 

Today is "Wentz vs. Foles" day. Basically, should we have stuck with Foles as the future at QB, after SB52. My take: Foles is now at his 6th stop in 9 seasons and didn't succeed 3 times when given the chance to be a team's "franchise QB." He's a great back-up, maybe the best ever, but switching tracks to the Foles train would have been a disaster. We've got a better long-term chance for success with Wentz. 

Today is "Wentz vs. Foles" day. Basically, should we have stuck with Foles as the future at QB, after SB52. My take: Foles is now at his 6th stop in 9 seasons and didn't succeed 3 times when given the chance to be a team's "franchise QB." He's a great back-up, maybe the best ever, but switching tracks to the Foles train would have been a disaster. We've got a better long-term chance for success with Wentz. 
The fact this is still a debate is embarrassing. Love Foles and what he did for us, and think he's had some bad luck in his chances at being the full-time starter, but it's painfully obvious Wentz is the correct choice.

The fact this is still a debate is embarrassing. Love Foles and what he did for us, and think he's had some bad luck in his chances at being the full-time starter, but it's painfully obvious Wentz is the correct choice.
Its just an indictment on our culture nowadays. After watching 15 years of "Sports Talk" become basically like Crossfire and everyone just arguing to be right on some silly topic of "pick a side" 

The fact all the rival fans wanted Foles here and Wentz to be traded is really all you need to know we made the right call. Not to mention we would have had to cut/restructure quite a few guys to get Foles under the cap when the franchise tag would have been applied, and if you recall, we were about $15-18M off or so at that point in time.

But people...

My take: Foles is now at his 6th stop in 9 seasons and didn't succeed 3 times when given the chance to be a team's "franchise QB."
Contrary to belief, I love Foles.  Can't think of a guy who deserves better in the league and in life.

That said, agree fully with you guys.  He doesn't seem to have it as a starter.  I was hoping he would turn it around in Jax, and it sucks he never really got a chance.  If he doesn't beat out Trubisky though.... ouch.  He has struggled everywhere except for Philly so I wonder if it was just our scheme, or a bit of lightning in a bottle, or what made him so great here during that playoff run, and so bad everywhere else.  I don't think we can blame it all on Jeff Fisher anymore.  I'm sure Shahbucks will stay in retirement from the boards now.

DJackson10 said:
I believe the Eagles and a few other teams proposed a new rule of having Dal and DET alternate playing thanksgiving every other year as a home team. 
Yeah, but it got shot down. One of the Eagles' other proposals, though, seems to be gathering some momentum: Instead of an onside kick attempt, teams can choose to try and convert 4th and 15 from their own 25 yard line. Max of 2 times, per game.

We're better long term with Wentz. We also invested heavily in him before Foles even came back. People love to talk about Wentz can't complete a season (he has 2) and guess how many 16 game seasons fully Foles has played? ZERO. Foles is a nice QB. I'm glad my prediction I made on my Facebook status when we drafted him he'd win us a SB came true (just didn't happen how I imagined), but Foles would've been a disaster had we kept him and traded Wentz. With out dumb Philly luck Foles ends up sucking big time and Wentz becomes as good as Mahomes in a dangerous offense. The Foles lovers seem more of the whole anti Wentz then really pro Foles. People who wanted us to take Zeke over Wentz, didn't like us trading up to 2 for a QB, or people who listen to too much Sports talk radio and regurgitate everything they say like those who watch CNN or Fox and just repeat all the buzzwords and lines. Foles is like you said on his 6th team in 9 seasons. We made the right decision even if it doesn't look that way at this point. 

Sounds like it'll be Freeman, Hyde, or Shady.  Seattle may take one of those 3 too.  Jets and Bucs have been linked to some of those guys too.

Clement may be on the outside looking in after all that, which would be super sad for him.

Sounds like it'll be Freeman, Hyde, or Shady.  Seattle may take one of those 3 too.  Jets and Bucs have been linked to some of those guys too.

Clement may be on the outside looking in after all that, which would be super sad for him.
I guess if we "have" to sign one of these guys, i would prefer: Hyde, Freeman, Shady. 

I need info for a forthcoming keeper decision.  I picked up Boston Scott last year, who did well down the stretch.  (We are PPR.)  

What are the chances he'll have the same opportunity in 2020?  2021?  Was 2019 legit or mirage?  Is he entrenched as the COP back?  What's the chances he doesn't even make the roster?   I'd like to keep him based on his 2019 numbers, but I have no feel whatsoever on the organization's intentions.  

I need info for a forthcoming keeper decision.  I picked up Boston Scott last year, who did well down the stretch.  (We are PPR.)  

What are the chances he'll have the same opportunity in 2020?  2021?  Was 2019 legit or mirage?  Is he entrenched as the COP back?  What's the chances he doesn't even make the roster?   I'd like to keep him based on his 2019 numbers, but I have no feel whatsoever on the organization's intentions.  
I think 2019 was 'legit', but he's always going to be behind Miles for a few years.  I think it all depends if/who we sign as another RB, which hopefully for you (depending on when you need to make your decision by) will be soon.  I think he's a lock to make the roster no matter what, and if we sign another RB than his upside certainly would be limited. 

I’ll always love him but overall Foles is an average at best QB who got hot at the right time in the right offense. 

Stevie Wonder can see the difference between them. 
I loved Peyton Trolling Brady yesterday though. For people not use to Peyton this Peyton manning might come as a surprise. I've been following him since college and one of my favorite Country Singers Kenny Chesney is a big Vol's fan and close friends with Peyton. My Former Gym Teacher and our HS Football coach also played down there and has shared some stories meeting Peyton. What you saw yesterday is Peyton Manning normally. Very talkative and a jokester. 

I loved Peyton Trolling Brady yesterday though. For people not use to Peyton this Peyton manning might come as a surprise. I've been following him since college and one of my favorite Country Singers Kenny Chesney is a big Vol's fan and close friends with Peyton. My Former Gym Teacher and our HS Football coach also played down there and has shared some stories meeting Peyton. What you saw yesterday is Peyton Manning normally. Very talkative and a jokester. 
I'm not following what this has to do with the post you quoted about Foles.

I'm not following what this has to do with the post you quoted about Foles.
You were talking about Foles run with the team. Peyton took a shot at Tom saying he should get Foles as his caddy. And Tom responded that's a cheap shot and he hates the Eagles more then any other team. My comment In Lew of what you said to show I think everyone in the league feels the same way we both do about Foles and loves to tease Brady about it 

Manning said he was going to bring Foles or Eli to caddie for him, to get Tom shook. Think that's the tie back to Foles.

You were talking about Foles run with the team. Peyton took a shot at Tom saying he should get Foles as his caddy. And Tom responded that's a cheap shot and he hates the Eagles more then any other team. My comment In Lew of what you said to show I think everyone in the league feels the same way we both do about Foles and loves to tease Brady about it 
Bit of a stretch there going off on Peyton's college career when discussing foles vs wentz' talent :P

Jimmy Kempski gave a teaser about the subject for his next deep-dive into the tape: Darius Slay. His tackling attempts in 2019 were "almost comical":
Here's the full article. That 57 second video...yikes. I guess the good news is that the coverage talent is legit, and I was surprised to see just how good he is at PBUs. 

Contract isn't that bad, either, so still a win if we get a good 2 years of solid coverage on #1 WRs. 

Users who are viewing this thread