What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

The Patriot way, is winning games. Newton has and is continuing to do that. They were a yard from beating Seattle, who is the NFC's best in my opinion.

I personally think Wentz will turn it around. Washington and the Rams both have a bunch of DL talent. If he struggles against the Bengals, then its time to hit the panic button.

I've never been a huge Wentz supporter, I think he's in the 10-15 range of QBs, with guys like Stafford, and Goff, but I'm pretty sure he just the 2 worst games he's going to have.
You clearly don't know the whole way. It's a culture not just winning but guys literally putting the team over anything else including their own families. Cam's the complete opposite of The Patriot way. He throws teammates under the bus when not winning, pouts, when everything is going well it's all about him. Wait till NE plays a team that really frustrates Cam and he loses. Cam had his supporters in Carolina but there were also a ton of people who could not have been happier he was let go. 

Except I'm not so sure Washington is one of the worst in the league right now...that D-line is gonna keep them in a lot of games
Their D-line is good, but overall their D is only okay and their offense stinks. 3 wins last year, won't be much better this year- still one of the worst teams in the league IMO.

After a day to think about it, I don't think things are as bad as they seem. There is some truth to Doug saying the lack of an off-season has hurt them. Doesn't excuse the fact that every other team was in the same boat but we see other teams coming out if the gate shoddy too. Minnesota, Houston, Detroit, even Dallas took a bit to wake the hell up (thankfully they played the biggest choke artists in sports history). 

This was hopefully the wake up call they needed. Carson will hopefully get his #### together. Schwartz will hopefully employ some of his job saving, back to the wall schemes he usually pulls out in December. The online looked better. Miles Sanders looked good. The play calling wasn't awful. Guys were open. Wentz just missed them. Plus the number one thing Doug is good at is rallying the troops.

They will come out this week ready to play their ### off. Then they will take the surprise victory out in SF. Come back and split Pitt and Balt and suddenly we're 3-3 and right back in it with NYG, Dal, NYG, Clev after that. We'll see how it goes from their but this team isn't done. Far from it. They still have 9-7 left in them which should be good enough to either win the division or get that 7th seed at least. 

After a day to think about it, I don't think things are as bad as they seem. There is some truth to Doug saying the lack of an off-season has hurt them. Doesn't excuse the fact that every other team was in the same boat but we see other teams coming out if the gate shoddy too. Minnesota, Houston, Detroit, even Dallas took a bit to wake the hell up (thankfully they played the biggest choke artists in sports history). 

This was hopefully the wake up call they needed. Carson will hopefully get his #### together. Schwartz will hopefully employ some of his job saving, back to the wall schemes he usually pulls out in December. The online looked better. Miles Sanders looked good. The play calling wasn't awful. Guys were open. Wentz just missed them. Plus the number one thing Doug is good at is rallying the troops.

They will come out this week ready to play their ### off. Then they will take the surprise victory out in SF. Come back and split Pitt and Balt and suddenly we're 3-3 and right back in it with NYG, Dal, NYG, Clev after that. We'll see how it goes from their but this team isn't done. Far from it. They still have 9-7 left in them which should be good enough to either win the division or get that 7th seed at least. 
As usual, season will likely be decided in week 15.  ETA - although looking at their schedule they better be like 7-3 because that final 6 game stretch is bruuuutal!

Last edited by a moderator:

I do see us winning the next two games and getting to 2-2... but the next 2 will be tough.  We're gonna get wins and losses in chunks.  I'm gonna boldly predict

Lose 2 in a row
Win 2 in a row
Lose 2 in a row
Win 4 in a row
Lose 4 in a row
Win 2 in a row

Finish 8-8 and miss playoffs.

You clearly don't know the whole way. It's a culture not just winning but guys literally putting the team over anything else including their own families. Cam's the complete opposite of The Patriot way. He throws teammates under the bus when not winning, pouts, when everything is going well it's all about him. Wait till NE plays a team that really frustrates Cam and he loses. Cam had his supporters in Carolina but there were also a ton of people who could not have been happier he was let go. 
I think that is ideally what they want, but there are several major exceptions. Randy Moss for one. 

The people who were happy to see Cam go in Carolina, clearly cared about something else other than success. Cam is arguably the best player in Panthers history, and almost all of his teammates loved him. I'm pretty confident he'd have been back if Rivera had, but that was probably two bad moves by Carolina. Grass is greener syndrome I guess.

ETA: Tying it back to Wentz, it sure seems like there is a contingency that is sick of Wentz and Pederson, and those people are nuts in my opinion.

I think that is ideally what they want, but there are several major exceptions. Randy Moss for one. 

The people who were happy to see Cam go in Carolina, clearly cared about something else other than success. Cam is arguably the best player in Panthers history, and almost all of his teammates loved him. I'm pretty confident he'd have been back if Rivera had, but that was probably two bad moves by Carolina. Grass is greener syndrome I guess.

ETA: Tying it back to Wentz, it sure seems like there is a contingency that is sick of Wentz and Pederson, and those people are nuts in my opinion.
Sure there was. Aaron Hernandez another because BB and Urban Meyer were friends and he did his friend a solid. However I see this Cam move as a panic move by NE to try and keep winning alive rather then rebuild. NE has probably the biggest bandwagon fans in Football so they know a few losing seasons will get people disinterested in the team.As far as exceptions I believe these 3 are the only exception to the rule. I'm just waiting for that stretch of games NE loses and Bill stats throwing blame on Cam for constructive criticism because we all know the dude cannot take it. All I'm saying is the Patriot Way isn't just about winning and I was surprised NE even took a chance on him. 

A lot of people got sick of him after the lack of trying to help the team win in the SB against DEN. One of my dad's Best Friends (His buddy married their other best friend sister) they moved down to Carolina for yrs and became Panthers fans. They recently moved back here and most of the fanbase had turned on Cam after the SB. DIdn't think his heart was in it and felt he embarrassed the organization with his display. Most of the fans were upset to see Ron Rivera go. Cam has his followers but the detractors came more and more each year that he couldn't win the big one. A lot of people thought Cam had warn out his welcome in CAR. 

Also I didn't realize Steve Smith never played for the Panthers or Luke Keuckley both of those guys 10 times better then Cam. And speaking of the SB season it was the same year Colin was finally benched in SF. Cam's numbers that first part of the year were similar to Colin's. Switch the two QBs and Cam is being discussed being benched in SF and not Colin. A lot of winning can hide a guys fault. #s can be deceiving. It took Cam a Madden like Second half that his numbers looked great that year.That defense that year was as much as credit for their SB birth then anything. Defense saved Cam's butt more then once in the first 7 games. Don't get it twisted I'm not saying CK is a better QB just that I think people overrated Cam that year and had a better team hiding his mistakes early in the year. I think a lot of people overrate Cam a ton. 

Teams W/L record can be deceiving on how a QB really is portrayed

As for the Wentz stuff most of the people hating Wentz/Pederson are the people who haven't gotten off of Fole's nuts since the SB. Don't think anyone in here has even said they are tired of them besides some of very over-reactionary posts. I think most of the talk here has been what's wrong with the current situation. There's speculation Wentz may not play long NFL career do to other interests and will pull a Andrew Luck but those have yet to really be confirmed. I think a lot of people don't realize how lucky the Eagles were to win the SB when they did. My Co workers Son came back home to Philly as he was a part of KC's Staff and Doug promised to promote him and bring him to Philly if he got the HC Gig. I remember one of the first conversations we had was how bad really is it and is it as bad as the media said it was. His response: 

"Chip Kelly destroyed the team and organization a lot. Had Lurie let it go another year it may have set the org back for a long time. Everyone from the Security guy at the training facility up to Lurie had negative morale. Said given the set backs on contracts and players signed they'd be lucky if they could turn it around in 5 seasons. Dude this is bad, he even went after veterans like Jenkins and embarrassed Peters at one practice apparently. The way he treated some of these players you'd think he was coaching college ball. He was my OC when I first got to New Hampshire for Football he was tough. He was a bit weird and tried to recruit me to Oregon when he got there but I wanted to stay close to home given it was my Mom and two brothers and my older one had some issues we dealt with. If we make a SB and win it they really need to turn this thing into a movie honestly. I know the coaches and staff will do well it's a good group with some well respected coaches like Mr Reich here, players are gonna love Doug too and I know some already worked with him here before. Mr Lurie has told us he's at our disposal for any and everything. The coaches know this is a tough job but I think right now we need to get these guys to love football again and work from there. Chip destroyed their love of the game. Not sure how Howie and Company will rid some of these horrible contracts and players. The stories some of these players and staff and people in the org shared of their time with Chip really PO'd me. This is my hometown team and he came in here acting like a total dictator. I hope I can make this city proud and I hope I can help with the other coaches bring the Eagles back to respectability in this town."

Well as the story goes we got fortunate in terms we traded or ridded a lot of deadweight many didn't think we could trade for any value. Some of that helped us to a point to draft Carson. Then Teddy goes down in MInny with a what looks like a career ender for a team with playoff aspirations. Spielman gets desperate and gives us a 1st for Sam Bradford which is laughable. The Eagles filled some of the holes and did better then what people expected. Then Carson had the MVP season up until he blew out his knee. Foles got hot at the right time in the playoffs and we won a SB. However the team still had those huge concerns we had prior that weren't addressed. I think the team got too overconfident and never fixed those issues and now they have reared its ugly head over the last few yrs. I just think people don't realize how bad it really was. Winning the SB didn't mean we turned a corner. It should've helped us get and want to get better overall but winning the SB also still disguised some of our issues we have now 

As for the Wentz stuff most of the people hating Wentz/Pederson are the people who haven't gotten off of Fole's nuts since the SB. Don't think anyone in here has even said they are tired of them besides some of very over-reactionary posts. I think most of the talk here has been what's wrong with the current situation. There's speculation Wentz may not play long NFL career do to other interests and will pull a Andrew Luck but those have yet to really be confirmed. I think a lot of people don't realize how lucky the Eagles were to win the SB when they did. My Co workers Son came back home to Philly as he was a part of KC's Staff and Doug promised to promote him and bring him to Philly if he got the HC Gig. I remember one of the first conversations we had was how bad really is it and is it as bad as the media said it was. His response: 

"Chip Kelly destroyed the team and organization a lot. Had Lurie let it go another year it may have set the org back for a long time. Everyone from the Security guy at the training facility up to Lurie had negative morale. Said given the set backs on contracts and players signed they'd be lucky if they could turn it around in 5 seasons. Dude this is bad, he even went after veterans like Jenkins and embarrassed Peters at one practice apparently. The way he treated some of these players you'd think he was coaching college ball. He was my OC when I first got to New Hampshire for Football he was tough. He was a bit weird and tried to recruit me to Oregon when he got there but I wanted to stay close to home given it was my Mom and two brothers and my older one had some issues we dealt with. If we make a SB and win it they really need to turn this thing into a movie honestly. I know the coaches and staff will do well it's a good group with some well respected coaches like Mr Reich here, players are gonna love Doug too and I know some already worked with him here before. Mr Lurie has told us he's at our disposal for any and everything. The coaches know this is a tough job but I think right now we need to get these guys to love football again and work from there. Chip destroyed their love of the game. Not sure how Howie and Company will rid some of these horrible contracts and players. The stories some of these players and staff and people in the org shared of their time with Chip really PO'd me. This is my hometown team and he came in here acting like a total dictator. I hope I can make this city proud and I hope I can help with the other coaches bring the Eagles back to respectability in this town."

Well as the story goes we got fortunate in terms we traded or ridded a lot of deadweight many didn't think we could trade for any value. Some of that helped us to a point to draft Carson. Then Teddy goes down in MInny with a what looks like a career ender for a team with playoff aspirations. Spielman gets desperate and gives us a 1st for Sam Bradford which is laughable. The Eagles filled some of the holes and did better then what people expected. Then Carson had the MVP season up until he blew out his knee. Foles got hot at the right time in the playoffs and we won a SB. However the team still had those huge concerns we had prior that weren't addressed. I think the team got too overconfident and never fixed those issues and now they have reared its ugly head over the last few yrs. I just think people don't realize how bad it really was. Winning the SB didn't mean we turned a corner. It should've helped us get and want to get better overall but winning the SB also still disguised some of our issues we have now 
Did you record your conversation with him or something? 😄

Doesn't matter if we are favoured or not... we play better when we aren't. 

And no we won't "try" to lose the last game.  Nobody does that.  Carson would be playing for his potential job and wouldn't miss throws on purpose.

Even if we lose this week I'd expect us to beat SF.  Or upset Pitt or something.  That's how Philly teams work. 

The fact is, there will be a 2 win team this year, and it won't be us.  The Lawrence talk is just click-bait and one dude bringing it up who didn't do his research and didn't realize that his 5 win prediction doesn't even REMOTELY put us in the talks for top pick.  I'd be pretty willing to bet just about anything that we don't end up with the worst record in the league this year. 
Yea, Jets are going to be 2 or under in wins

I'm very disappointed in Wentz, but am willing to give it some time. For whatever reason, he ALWAYS starts slow. Every single year. I don't know why, and hoped this year would be different, but that was dumb of me.

Jim Schwartz is another matter - we've just had guys running wide open in our secondary ever since he got here, regardless of who they were.

Deamon said:
Did you record your conversation with him or something? 😄
No I just remember the convo pretty well. It was something that stuck with me. I don't know why. I don't know if it was the way he told me, the look on his face or what. I guess the best way to describe this for lack of better terms is someone who had gotten out of an abusive relationship job wise. No one knew really how bad it was not even the media. I don't know all the details but from what he told me it only seems like the Media only had the tip of the iceberg of how bad it was under the Kelly. For whatever reason this convo just stuck with me. I guess it was the emotion he had in it. I mean as someone who grew up hoping one day to be part of the organization as a player or coach of somewhat I guess for him being the same way and both same age it really got him emotionally. To see someone come in and just destroy the team you loved and grew up with and now you got to go in with a bunch of people an fix it. And I kind of felt it myself. It just made me more PO'd about what Chip did when he was here. I guess it why I get so upset when I see people put on how the Eagles should've kept Chip even after we won the SB. 

babydemon90 said:
I'm very disappointed in Wentz, but am willing to give it some time. For whatever reason, he ALWAYS starts slow. Every single year. I don't know why, and hoped this year would be different, but that was dumb of me.

Jim Schwartz is another matter - we've just had guys running wide open in our secondary ever since he got here, regardless of who they were.
Lack of a preseason has really hurt Wentz considering the slow stats he has too 

Schwartz I was so hoping Clevland would take him as I don't think the Eagles will fire him or let him go unless it's a major collapse. Dude must have pics or something to have kept his job. He also seems hard to work with if you have a difference of opinion. 

No one mentioned this but somehow Freeman went from we were gonna work him out on a visit this week to within 24 hrs his mind was changed an NYG was working him out and he's signing there for the rest of the season. Would've liked to have Freeman here but he was probably waiting for a situation like one of these big named backs going down so he has a chance to start. 

It's died down over the yrs. But when Chip was first fired and after I heard about a lot of this it really got me going. Then I realized most of these people probably listen to the jabronies on WIP Morning show 
I'm still not getting "even after we won the SB" out of that. 

Life is too short to spend any time with Cataldi fanbois. 

There was still a few. The typical they won in spite of Doug or this or that You know the similar banter dealt with Manuel when the Phillies won the WS. It was in spite of him not because of him helping. I wasn't alive then but the only time I ever felt like a team won in spite of a coach was the 80 WS Phillies. Listening to some of the players they hated Dallas Green. Only other time was maybe GB winning the SB with McCarthy.

Even Cataldi and his crew wanted Chip gone by the end of tenure.  As I recall, that was pretty much a consensus in this town.  Well maybe there was like 0.003% of the fanbase that still wanted Chip around.   :shrug:  

There was still a few. The typical they won in spite of Doug or this or that You know the similar banter dealt with Manuel when the Phillies won the WS. It was in spite of him not because of him helping. I wasn't alive then but the only time I ever felt like a team won in spite of a coach was the 80 WS Phillies. Listening to some of the players they hated Dallas Green. Only other time was maybe GB winning the SB with McCarthy.
I don't recall that at all.  When Doug won the Super Bowl, he was deemed a genius in this town by pretty much everyone (myself included).  I mean there are always going to be a few idiots but he was a hero.  I think that's starting to die down a little now that he's shown some flaws.  

The coach matters much less in baseball. With the exception of the injury-decimated 1979 team, the 1976-83 Phillies teams, built by Paul Owens and Hugh Alexander, were all great. The 1980 team just happened to be the one that got hot at the right time. Didn't really have much of anything to do with Green. Also, Billy Martin is a WS winner and most of his players hated him. Mike Keenan is a Stanley Cup winner and everyone who has ever played for him hates him. The list is pretty long in other sports. Not so much in football because the coaches' gameplanning and game-day management is integral to the success of the team, and so the players have to buy in for it to work. 

Anyone who was arguing for Chip/against Doug after the SB win is not worth listening to or remembering. You gotta do a better job of forgetting the dumb stuff you hear from random people -- and better yet, not interacting with those kinds of people in the first place. Again, life is too short to get worked up about that kind of nonsense. 

DJax is exceptionally good at finding idiots to interact with and discussing their idiocy on this thread. I don't know why he has mastered this skill, but he has. 
What can I say I like arguing and proving idiots wrong. Especially when it comes to football. There's people who I went to school with that don't either bother arguing or debating sports with me after I made them look dumb. My own family outside my own older cousin won't either but he also played and coaches HS level. I'll admit he knows more of the ins and outs then me but from player standpoint he knows I'm the one to go to unless its on WRs which is his specialty. Did a whole scouting report on the top 10 and then some lower level guys which was informative. Are there people better then me on here this forum? Absolutely I won't deny that. I use to post of the old MLB.com Phillies board where besides me there was one other guy and we'd run circles over others in football debates. I wouldn't say a lot were idiots I think some went more for the media hype then really looking into things. 

So I guess I'm use to arguing/debating with those people. I spent 12 yrs on that board too. So being around more "like minded" people in terms of ideas and IQ on overall game is a nice change. I've learned a lot since since coming here I hadn't known already. Non of this is meant to brag or sound cocky though, just more to give a background of what kind of people I've had to talk and debate football with for a long time.

:scared:

too soon to start talking about Jalen Hurts as Philly's starting QB?! Wentz just plain sucks. Haven't we seen enough  of  him yet?

bad footwork, untimely INTs. 

After Kerrigan got DPOW against us last week:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 1h

Players of the Week — Week 2 AFC OFFENSE: QB Josh Allen, BUF DEFENSE: LB T.J. Watt, PIT ST: K Harrison Butker, KC NFC OFFENSE: QB Dak Prescott, DAL DEFENSE: LB Micah Kiser, LAR ST: P Michael Dickson, SEA

:scared:

too soon to start talking about Jalen Hurts as Philly's starting QB?! Wentz just plain sucks. Haven't we seen enough  of  him yet?

bad footwork, untimely INTs. 
Not trolling but I saw this coming months ago. I've been saying since the beginning Wentz is overrated.

This drum beat is going to get louder. 

Next 4 games. 

Cin

SF

Pit

Balt

If Philly loses this week they could be 0-6. How loud will that drum beat be then?

If you think Wentz is bad you've seen nothing yet if we throw Hurts in there. Bama fans couldn't wait to see him leave. 
Wentz is def the better passer but Hurts brings another element to the offense. Feels like the Philly offense could use that. 

Wentz is def the better passer but Hurts brings another element to the offense. Feels like the Philly offense could use that. 
Wentz has that element too. It's like they told him this off season he's not allowed to run anymore because of the damn concussion from the cheap shot. 

Not trolling but I saw this coming months ago. I've been saying since the beginning Wentz is overrated.

Next 4 games. 

Cin

SF

Pit

Balt

If Philly loses this week they could be 0-6. How loud will that drum beat be then?
Overrated is one thing. Outright losing your job is another. Romo was overrated, Matt Ryan as well, Stafford, Rivers etc. That’s a long list  

In 5 years does Carson have more bad tape than good? No, not even close. He’s won or kept us in games and has shown his potential time and time again. Does that mean he’s perfect or great ? No. 

If they start 0-6 the “drum beat” will go in this order:

Swartz

Howie

Doug (feel free to swap these)

Wentz

Next 4 games. 

Cin

SF

Pit

Balt

Cincinnati D made the Browns look like the  2005 Colts, so this week should go well for the Eagles. 

Niners are a train wreck right now. If Kittle, Mostert, JimmyG & Debo are back it’s probably a coin flip because the defense is in bad shape. 

PIT/BAL is a tough stretch for any team. 

I’d bet they go 2-2 over that stretch, but 1-3 or 3-1 wouldn’t shock me either way. 

No one mentioned this but somehow Freeman went from we were gonna work him out on a visit this week to within 24 hrs his mind was changed an NYG was working him out and he's signing there for the rest of the season. Would've liked to have Freeman here but he was probably waiting for a situation like one of these big named backs going down so he has a chance to start. 
He was here over the weekend.

Cincinnati D made the Browns look like the  2005 Colts, so this week should go well for the Eagles. 

Niners are a train wreck right now. If Kittle, Mostert, JimmyG & Debo are back it’s probably a coin flip because the defense is in bad shape. 

PIT/BAL is a tough stretch for any team. 

I’d bet they go 2-2 over that stretch, but 1-3 or 3-1 wouldn’t shock me either way. 
Ok seems fair. If they go 1-3 over their next 4 games they are out of the playoff picture at 1-5. Wentz will be taking all kinds of heat from the Philly fans. You don't think Philly will want to take a look? 

I originally thought it would take an injury to get Hurts in the game and that is still very much in play but if Wentz keeps playing like this Hurts is coming in. Maybe only for the 4th quarter of a blow out but thats all he needs. If he flashes and the offense gets a bump Wentz won't survive the fan backlash. 

Ok seems fair. If they go 1-3 over their next 4 games they are out of the playoff picture at 1-5. Wentz will be taking all kinds of heat from the Philly fans. You don't think Philly will want to take a look? 

I originally thought it would take an injury to get Hurts in the game and that is still very much in play but if Wentz keeps playing like this Hurts is coming in. Maybe only for the 4th quarter of a blow out but thats all he needs. If he flashes and the offense gets a bump Wentz won't survive the fan backlash. 
Oh I agree. But 2-2 or 3-1 and Wentz isn’t going anywhere. 

Oh I agree. But 2-2 or 3-1 and Wentz isn’t going anywhere. 
They aren't beating the Steelers or the Ravens. Upsets happen all the time but highly unlikely. If they go 2-2 and are sitting at 2-4 philly fans still won't be happy. We'll see. Time will tell. If Hurts does get in it's a likely downgrade for all the receivers and Philly would turn into more of a running team. 

Users who are viewing this thread