What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (1 Viewer)

Wow, that''s more than a clarification. Farley and Abernathy were specific. Though Abernathy also resigned yesterday...

I do think that games can be played with the kind of safety precautions that they’re proposing. I do not think that they can have spectators at those games. There’s no way for them to be safe having a crowd there,” Farley said. “I can’t say what the plans are for the league, but from a safety perspective, they can play games but not [have] crowds.”

“The Eagles are still going to be allowed to play, although without crowds. The Phillies will continue to be allowed to play, although without crowds,” Managing Director Brian Abernathy said.

Wow, that''s more than a clarification. Farley and Abernathy were specific. Though Abernathy also resigned yesterday...

I do think that games can be played with the kind of safety precautions that they’re proposing. I do not think that they can have spectators at those games. There’s no way for them to be safe having a crowd there,” Farley said. “I can’t say what the plans are for the league, but from a safety perspective, they can play games but not [have] crowds.”

“The Eagles are still going to be allowed to play, although without crowds. The Phillies will continue to be allowed to play, although without crowds,” Managing Director Brian Abernathy said.
The mentioning on how fluid the situation is and how it’s reviewed everyday is what stood out to me. It’s a good sign IMO

there has to be a level playing field. Everyone plays in their home stadium or no one does. Everyone has fans or no one does.
Why would this really matter?  In some Australian leagues right now some states are allowing fans and some not, so some teams get fans, while others don't.  With pumping crowd noise in, they can just make the decibels the same in all stadiums and it would have almost zero affect on home field advantage if there's some ppl in the stands or not.

Someone on the radio today suggested balancing things by pumping in equivalent decibels of crowd noise for the stadiums not allowed to have fans., but I don'think that's equivalent.
Actual fans  at a  stadium, I believe, is a distinct home field advantage and should be afforded to all or no teams YMMV.

Someone on the radio today suggested balancing things by pumping in equivalent decibels of crowd noise for the stadiums not allowed to have fans., but I don'think that's equivalent.
Actual fans  at a  stadium, I believe, is a distinct home field advantage and should be afforded to all or no teams YMMV.
Why do you think this?  What's the difference?  The home field advantage matters when the players are lined up ready to hut the ball..... none of them are looking in the crowd at that point, so a real voice vs a fake voice has zero difference at that point. 

I think it is a big intangible and players can draw more motivation from real people supporting them and not playing in an empty stadium.  :shrug:  
Both teams could benefit from actual people standing there then.  The crowd noise before snaps and during plays is the real motivating factor... and with the technology they have been using in other countries for fake crowd noise, it's remarkable how realistic it is.  You'd never ever know the difference without looking up which players aren't doing during plays.

Plus we're talking stadiums that are like 25% full, and may be required to wear masks.  Not much of an advantage at all imo.

Just found this reaction from Lane Johnson reacting to yesterday's announcement of no fans:

"I really don't know what to say - as far as what we do in practice - but we thrive on the fans' energy and their presence, so hearing the news yesterday was definitely shocking. As far as my reaction, I'm really speechless for what to say. It's a really weird situation for us."

Just found this reaction from Lane Johnson reacting to yesterday's announcement of no fans:

"I really don't know what to say - as far as what we do in practice - but we thrive on the fans' energy and their presence, so hearing the news yesterday was definitely shocking. As far as my reaction, I'm really speechless for what to say. It's a really weird situation for us."
When he sees how empty other stadiums are, and how accurate the fake-fan noise is, he'll think differently. 

Lets just keep a close eye on baseball.  That's the first test and if they allow fans at any point it's a lock we will.  Once sports start back for real it's going to be hard to stop people from wanting to go to games.

When he sees how empty other stadiums are, and how accurate the fake-fan noise is, he'll think differently. 
think you're off on this one. the human psychology, especially athletes who are conditioned throughout life to thrive on the high, definitely would behave differently in front of other people whether they are cheering for or against you. it's the most basic human instinct driven by ego. otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as momentum swings either, imo. granted the noise of the crowd you point out is a huge factor and agree that can be made up, but actually having people is probably a bigger deal in football and basketball than, say, baseball or golf. that mental game is no joke.

think you're off on this one. the human psychology, especially athletes who are conditioned throughout life to thrive on the high, definitely would behave differently in front of other people whether they are cheering for or against you. it's the most basic human instinct driven by ego. otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as momentum swings either, imo. granted the noise of the crowd you point out is a huge factor and agree that can be made up, but actually having people is probably a bigger deal in football and basketball than, say, baseball or golf. that mental game is no joke.
Some do... many thrive on people cheering against them too.   Also many athletes tune out the crowd.

I'm not saying it;s perfect but what they're doing with fake crowd noise in other leagues is remarkable.  A fumble happens and the crowd gasps... a player breaks a tackle and they throw in loud "ohhhs and ahhhs".  They've interviewed a bunch of australian football players who are playing in empty stadiums with the fake noise and they have said it feels just like there's fans there as they're focused on the game and the sounds are identical. 

Sure it's a bit different, but having a stadium with 20% fans vs this accurate fan noise isn't a massive deal imo.

Giants players getting arrested with Armed Robbery, Desean in hot water over his tweet, and the Skins are in all sorts of trouble.  Is Dallas actually the least controversial team in the division right now?  This has to be a first!

Giants players getting arrested with Armed Robbery, Desean in hot water over his tweet, and the Skins are in all sorts of trouble.  Is Dallas actually the least controversial team in the division right now?  This has to be a first!
They couldn’t get a deal done with their franchise QB. That’s a controversy that will show up later and have a bigger impact than any of the other ones lol

They couldn’t get a deal done with their franchise QB. That’s a controversy that will show up later and have a bigger impact than any of the other ones lol
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-blew-it-with-dak-prescott-in-2019-thats-why-theres-no-longterm-deal-now-and-why-he-may-exit-later-051415760.html

Prescott’s (tag) number put him in position to be the highest paid player in the NFL from 2020 through 2022. Which he will be if Dallas places the franchise tag on him for the next three years, at a tune of more than $123 million in guaranteed dollars. Salaries that are expected to break down into $31.4 million in 2020, $37.7 million in 2021 and $54.2 million in 2022.

Now Dallas is in a predicament that will get only worse, particularly with the 2021 salary cap likely to be flat because of revenue losses due to COVID-19 this year. Which means the Cowboys will have to juggle the structure of some deals next year to make Prescott’s $37.7 million guaranteed salary fit if he’s tagged again.
(For reference, Carson's numbers over that span are: 2020 - $18,656,536 / 2021 - $34,673,536 / 2022 - $31,274,536)

Last edited by a moderator:
55 mil in 2022 is insane.  they are morons for not getting a deal done a year ago.  
I'm assuming that's because of the Mahomes deal kicking in?  I thought it was the average of the top 3 paid at that position or something.  Don't see how 55m will be the average in 2022?

I don't think there's a choice.. Not wanting to pun, but there has to be a level playing field. Everyone plays in their home stadium or no one does. Everyone has fans or no one does.

(It seems now  like  states will let the teams play in their stadium, though that could change with the virus. With all personnel, you probably have  "large gathering" of 200 people)

But still seems like under 50% to me that the season happens. :(  
It's sort of large, but it's also very spread out and either outdoors or in an enormous space, not like 200 people sitting in rows for a couple of hours.

If the players will accept some sort of isolation, there's no reason they cant have a season, although perhaps shortened by several games, with no fans in the stands.

And there's no reason they couldn't or shouldn't, military folks are isolated from friends and family for longer periods of time for far less money all the time

I'm assuming that's because of the Mahomes deal kicking in?  I thought it was the average of the top 3 paid at that position or something.  Don't see how 55m will be the average in 2022?
The franchise tag value is an average the first year...it goes up significantly in subsequent years.

It's a silly claim though because NOBODY gets franchised three years in a row....even two is rare

The franchise tag value is an average the first year...it goes up significantly in subsequent years.

It's a silly claim though because NOBODY gets franchised three years in a row....even two is rare
Ahhh, ok.  Ya I can't see them tagging him again after this.  Guess he will sign a big deal next year or pull a cousins and walk.

Ahhh, ok.  Ya I can't see them tagging him again after this.  Guess he will sign a big deal next year or pull a cousins and walk.
We should root for him to have a big year and leaves for a huge contract. Then Dallas is back searching for another qb

Hi Eagles fans - any idea who is going to be the primary KR/PR this year? Will Boston Scott be involved in returns at all?

Thanks.

Hi Eagles fans - any idea who is going to be the primary KR/PR this year? Will Boston Scott be involved in returns at all?

Thanks.
good question. This one may not be resolved until they get some training camp time in. they have a few options, and i am wondering if any of the later round burners they picked up may get a shot. 

The SB Nation Eagles blog suggests Raegor, which is a good option too:  https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/5/1/21244104/eagles-depth-chart-2020-nfl-draft-special-teams-edition-punt-return-kick-jalen-reagor-john-hightower

I posted in a different thread that the players and the league negotiated that the salary cap next year will be at least $175 million. Teams were expecting $198-200 million. As things stand now, Philadelphia already has $273.5 million worth of salary cap charges for next year. If the cap actually is only $175 million, how will the Eagles free up $98.5 million in cap space for next year?

Anarchy99 said:
I posted in a different thread that the players and the league negotiated that the salary cap next year will be at least $175 million. Teams were expecting $198-200 million. As things stand now, Philadelphia already has $273.5 million worth of salary cap charges for next year. If the cap actually is only $175 million, how will the Eagles free up $98.5 million in cap space for next year?
Creative restructuring to kick the can down the road again?

It sucks because I think they were counting on a cap increase, and had kicked the can down to THIS road.

Jeffrey can finally get cut (wow did they f up by extending him) for ~ 8 mil

Cox can be cut for ~ 7 mil savings.

D. Jackson cut for ~ 5 mil.

Any of those savings can be doubled if they designate them as post-June releases.

They can convert Went'z base salary (15 mil in 2021) if he's open to it, Hargrave has a 12 mil base salary that could potentially be converted.

It's not pretty though. All this extending contracts out with fake years was relying on cap going up and up, so a contraction really bites them in the ###. Like everyone of their players already has dummy years to spread out the hit.

Anarchy99 said:
Say what you want about Howie but he will find a way to clear that up. 

I believe they were also planning to roll forward roughly $25 million of unused 2020 cap space. I have no idea if that is affected by the new agreement. 

Ok since I've been away my thoughts on stuff

Wow I feel bad for any true Washington Fan. What a cluster :censored:  from the allegations to the team name. I read on the team name some realtor down in Virgina bought a bunch of copyrighted names for the team to use. A lot of the fans bought a name or 2 (Cost 500 for 2 years) and most after 2 yrs dropped the copyright or didn't reapply as it was a joke. This guy has a costly hobby and even said the team and NFL can use his copyrights free of charge he's willing to help. I don't know if there's legal issues or what right now. 

I'm really happy to see Peters back. Gonna be interesting to see him at Guard but it's nice to know he's gonna be around to help keep mentoring Dillard and if needed in a pinch can maybe move back to LT for some plays or a game if needed. 

I really wanted Adams but Jesus Seahawks just sold their future and honestly I don't know if they really are much of a SB contender. Their division has gotten better over the last few yrs besides the Rams you have SF and now a very competitive Arz team who's defense I wouldn't sleep on. NYJ is a mess. Gase is absolute trash as a coach and person stand point (I think Jay Ajayi would agree). You get rid of possible your top player but keep the terrible coach? I feel bad for Sam Darnold. 

Curious if any of you guys with everything going on and uncertainties if you are going with your Fantasy stuff this year or skip it. Year off on Dynasty or continue. If league stops how will you guys sort everything out? My League Keeper free league might be done. I want to start a new one but at least 2 of the guys said they'd be interested but more so start after this season given everything going on right now. I might just play in a free league just to say I played this year for now. 

Ok since I've been away my thoughts on stuff

Wow I feel bad for any true Washington Fan. What a cluster :censored:  from the allegations to the team name. I read on the team name some realtor down in Virgina bought a bunch of copyrighted names for the team to use. A lot of the fans bought a name or 2 (Cost 500 for 2 years) and most after 2 yrs dropped the copyright or didn't reapply as it was a joke. This guy has a costly hobby and even said the team and NFL can use his copyrights free of charge he's willing to help. I don't know if there's legal issues or what right now. 

I'm really happy to see Peters back. Gonna be interesting to see him at Guard but it's nice to know he's gonna be around to help keep mentoring Dillard and if needed in a pinch can maybe move back to LT for some plays or a game if needed. 

I really wanted Adams but Jesus Seahawks just sold their future and honestly I don't know if they really are much of a SB contender. Their division has gotten better over the last few yrs besides the Rams you have SF and now a very competitive Arz team who's defense I wouldn't sleep on. NYJ is a mess. Gase is absolute trash as a coach and person stand point (I think Jay Ajayi would agree). You get rid of possible your top player but keep the terrible coach? I feel bad for Sam Darnold. 

Curious if any of you guys with everything going on and uncertainties if you are going with your Fantasy stuff this year or skip it. Year off on Dynasty or continue. If league stops how will you guys sort everything out? My League Keeper free league might be done. I want to start a new one but at least 2 of the guys said they'd be interested but more so start after this season given everything going on right now. I might just play in a free league just to say I played this year for now. 
like one of these things is about the Eagles! 

But it's a single post, has paragraphs, and isn't obscenely long.  I should just be be grateful for all that stuff.

Say what you want about Howie but he will find a way to clear that up. 
Little known fact, but Howie hasn't been the cap guru for us for awhile. Jake Rosenberg, who came to the team in 2014, had been heavily managing the cap since Howie got moved back up after Chip was fired and he was officially promoted to the role in 2018.  

For next year, I think every team has always worked under the assumption the cap will increase every year. But sometimes fans get too worried about the cap and the team's money. Saw this yesterday, from FBO writer:

@MikeTanier

I just opened up the #Eagles salary cap page at http://OverTheCap.com and solved about 80% of their 2021 problems in 2 minutes without thinking too hard or gutting the roster. It's a nothingburger, folks.

DJackson10 said:
Eagles released 5 players Shelton Gibson, Marcus Green, Daeshon Hall, Albert Huggins and Tremon Smith 
I noticed all of these players are guys the team has already seen and evaluated. The strategy, for this crazy season, will probably be to get the guys in here you don't have history with so you can get a handle on them. That way, after final cut downs, you have a bigger pool of players you have knowledge of should you need to bring in COVID (or regular injury replacements): the Gibsons, Halls, Huggins, etc. that might still be on the street, plus the newer guys you brought to camp.

And the new practice squad rules, both from the new CBA and the COVID allowances, are good in one sense because it helps you protect your own, but it's also bad in that it's more difficult to poach talent from other teams.

Users who are viewing this thread