Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Noid

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Guess who's back, back again, JP's back, tell a friend...

Quez Watkins. Another WR. :lmao:

There's zero chance Howie's not straight-up trolling us at this point, right?

• Laughing 1

Just now, Mr. Irrelevant said:

He's the new Al Davis for sure.  So many of these guys aren't going to make the team.  Can we turn some of them into CB's?

Eagles new Offensive Plan:

2 QBs and 6 WRs on the field at all times.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

If Hightower and Watkins are competing for the same role and one of them turns into a contributor, I think that’s OK at this point in the draft.  Because we hate the Hurts pick, doesn’t make everything else wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah I hate Howie but if there one thing he’s done right it was this. Get rid of these slow dudes and let’s make plays and open things up. 

Injecting this kind of speed at WR is amazing and a great thing. Be excited. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Yeah I hate Howie but if there one thing he’s done right it was this. Get rid of these slow dudes and let’s make plays and open things up. 

I'm excited for the speed but at this point so many of these guys aren't going to make the team.  One of Alshon or JJaw needs to not be on our roster come week 1.

2 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

I mean, at the very least, our QB Factory has lots of WR's to teach them how to throw deep.

• Like 2

Just now, Deamon said:

I'm excited for the speed but at this point so many of these guys aren't going to make the team.  One of Alshon or JJaw needs to not be on our roster come week 1.

I’ve been assuming for a while Alshon won’t be on the roster.

• Like 1

Just now, Deamon said:

Alshon is gone for sure. DeSean is how old? JJAW could be on the roster but who cares if he isn’t at this point. 

You need completion and this is a round that’s normally cut anyway. Like Ash said above, let these last two compete and see what we have. It’s a win-win

1 minute ago, Ash said:

I’ve been assuming for a while Alshon won’t be on the roster.

Just now, Bigboy10182000 said:

Alshon is gone for sure. DeSean is how old? JJAW could be on the roster but who cares if he isn’t at this point. 

You need completion and this is a round that’s normally cut anyway. Like Ash said above, let these last two compete and see what we have. It’s a win-win

You both say Alshon is gone for sure.  How would we go about doing this?  I'm not super well versed in cap stuff, but I thought cutting him would actually hurt us.

This QB factory #### is the thing that annoys me the most.  Nobody has done that since the Packers in the 90s.  Compared to back then, there is barely any offseason practice now, training camp is shorter and has less practice and there is less ‘real’ practice during the season.

When are these backup QBs being developed exactly?  There’s only enough practice time for the starter, anybody else is barely getting a look in.  The days of developing backup QBs to trade have been over for at least a decade.  This just smacks of complete arrogance.  

Just now, Deamon said:

You both say Alshon is gone for sure.  How would we go about doing this?  I'm not super well versed in cap stuff, but I thought cutting him would actually hurt us.

You eat a bunch of money to cut out a cancer that can’t play anymore. 

• Like 1

And there goes Proche one pick after us.  Was really hoping for him a full round ago.

I think after this draft, you might be right and the writing is on the wall for him.

Just now, Ash said:

This QB factory #### is the thing that annoys me the most.  Nobody has done that since the Packers in the 90s.  Compared to back then, there is barely any offseason practice now, training camp is shorter and has less practice and there is less ‘real’ practice during the season.

When are these backup QBs being developed exactly?  There’s only enough practice time for the starter, anybody else is barely getting a look in.  The days of developing backup QBs to trade have been over for at least a decade.  This just smacks of complete arrogance.  

Look, I HATED the move. Still hate the move. He can spin it ANY way he wants but the real reason is very simple. “Can’t keep playing late in the season without our starting QB”

18 game schedules are coming soon. 

With all of that said I still wouldn’t have done it and if I did I’d have a way better reason than a damn QB factory. Say you’re taking BPA and eat the #### that comes with it. 

• Thanks 2

This, they can spread the cap hit over 2 seasons with the “post June 1” designation, or just cut him after June 1

• Like 3

We legit acquired 4 new WR's this weekend.  Incredible. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Another WR drafted 🤣

This guys is crazy fast.  4.35 40-time.  I would pay just to go watch all our WR's do a 100 yard race every practice.

I like this guy better than Reagor.  Maybe the idea is small fast guys like SF and get the ball out of Wentz hands asap.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Look, I HATED the move. Still hate the move. He can spin it ANY way he wants but the real reason is very simple. “Can’t keep playing late in the season without our starting QB”

18 game schedules are coming soon. 

With all of that said I still wouldn’t have done it and if I did I’d have a way better reason than a damn QB factory. Say you’re taking BPA and eat the #### that comes with it. 

If you tell me we need a great backup QB, I won’t argue but sign a veteran with several years starting experience and pay what you have to pay.  My whole point is I don’t think QBs can be developed without playing anymore due to the huge reduction in practice time over the years.  

If Wentz gets hurt and Hurts has to start 6 games in 2021, I don’t think he’ll be much better than he is now.  Playing time and the practice reps and focus from the coaching staff that comes from being the starter are the only way it happens. 

Edited by Ash
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deamon said:

We legit acquired 4 new WR's this weekend.  Incredible. 

And that’s big. The offense can be downright frightening now. 

LBers arguably got a lot more athletic as well

We’ll see if any of these guys can play but the team speed as whole got way better. And we were probably the slowest BY FAR in the league a season ago. 

• Like 2

I would have accepted a LB or DB in the first round and then a WR in the second over the Hurts decision. 

Just...why? Why Hurts? Are we gonna keep Sudfeld? 

Don’t we have huge holes at LB? OL could use some work too. 

• Like 2

According to overthecap, Eagles have 5th most cap space avail at $23.5. I read reports that cutting Alshon would have been $26.6M dead money under the old CBA, now to be like $16.6M under the new one, and I think you can split that up as a June 1 cut?? Not entirely sure, but those OTC #s usually are accurate, so we could conceivable afford to cut Alshon and be OK I believe. Or in some sort of trade scenario. 

• Like 2

And that’s big. The offense can be downright frightening now. 

LBers arguably got a lot more athletic as well

We’ll see if any of these guys can play but the team speed as whole got way better. And we were probably the slowest BY FAR in the league a season ago. 

Yep.  Slowest in the league by far to fastest in the league by far.  It's going to be a really really changed and interesting offense.  Multiple QB's on the field at once, tons of speedy guys just flying around everywhere.  It will be hard to defend as long as our OL gives Carson a bit of time for these guys to get open down the field.

1 minute ago, Ash said:

If you tell me we need a great backup QB, I won’t argue but sign a veteran with several years starting experience and pay what you have to pay.  My whole point is I don’t think QBs can be developed without playing anymore due to the huge reduction in practice time over the years.  

If Wentz gets hurt and Hurts has to start 6 games in 2021, I don’t think he’ll be much better than he is now.  Playing time and the practice reps and focus from the coaching staff that comes from being the starter are the only way it happens. 

I don’t disagree with any of that. 

I don’t have anything else to add but that’s what all signs point to. The articles I posted earlier point to it as well. We are a team that values back up QB more than any other team in the league. Constantly have the highest paid back ups as well. It’s just what we do. 

You want to keep paying Daniel, Foles, Vick, Kolb etc etc or do you want to pick one who you can develop for 4-5 years? That’s all debatable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gachi said:

I would have accepted a LB or DB in the first round and then a WR in the second over the Hurts decision. 

Just...why? Why Hurts? Are we gonna keep Sudfeld? 

Don’t we have huge holes at LB? OL could use some work too. 

Howie said Sud is in the plans for this year.  Will likely be our back up most of the year.  But that he wants a chance to be a starter somewhere, so he is for sure gone after this year.

17 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Eagles new Offensive Plan:

2 QBs and 6 WRs on the field at all times.

Maybe Howie mistakenly thought that XFL rule where you can do multiple passes behind the LOS was being implemented into the NFL.  

• Like 1

On the clock again.  I don't even know what  WR's are left now.  Hodgins just went and I was really really hoping he was going to be an Eagle this year :(

Posted (edited)

On Hurts,

I think this move speaks  more to Wentzs short to medium term viability as an NFL Player (1-2 years) than just "QB Factory", " Taysom Hill", "Great Backup" etc. etc.

The pick makes no sense whatsoever unless Carson Wentz is hanging it up after this or next year.  If it were that and they thought the QB class next year was worse; they're getting a guy in there who they really love who can develop.  

I've always thought Wentz seems like an "Andrew Luck" kind of guy (not a knock against him as the sport is brutal)…...and the more I think about it, the more I think Wentz is done way sooner than later.  

Edited by Thunderlips

OMG finally a pick I'm happy about!   Had no clue how Prince was dropping and was hoping we would take him.  Gotta figure out how he dropped so far.

• Like 1

We like our Royalty names on the OL.  King and Prince.

Also we really like hard to pronounce hyphenated names.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deamon said:

OMG finally a pick I'm happy about!   Had no clue how Prince was dropping and was hoping we would take him.  Gotta figure out how he dropped so far.

3rd-4th round grades on him 👍 

I liked this draft

If I told you we would get multiple deep threat wrs, all super fast, a very nice OLB prospect who jumps off the tape, a nice safety/db prospect who will play meaningful snaps, a swing tackle/guard who can contribute, and an upgrade at backup qb who could turn into more than that would you not buy that before the draft?   Don't worry about where they got drafted.  At least this is what I'm telling myself

• Love 1
  • Thinking 2

2 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Yeah, there’ only one pick I don’t like.  If I can ignore that one, I think its been a pretty good draft.

• Like 1

Yep I like it.

Posted (edited)

OL picks this late are always a good "might as well take a swing" attitude. A rare position we seem to have drafted well over the years. If either of the guys we drafted can make the roster this year, I will feel better about this draft. I still think/hope there there are possible major moves to be made post-draft, hoping for either a Yannick or Clowney-related move, considering the cap room we still have going into this season. 

Edited by Terpman22
  • Like 1

Just now, Ash said:

Yeah, there’ only one pick I don’t like.  If I can ignore that one, I think its been a pretty good draft.

You didn't like the Reagor pick either.  I know we've all warmed up on it but I wouldn't call it a "good" pick.

Hard to like the draft overall when Round 1 is a B- and Round 2 is an F.

1 minute ago, Terpman22 said:

OL picks this late are always a good "might as well take a swing" attitude. A rare position we seem to have drafted well over the years. If either of the guys we drafted can make the roster this year, I will feel better about this draft. I still think/hope there there are possible major moves to be made post-draft, hoping for either a Yannick or Clowney-related move, considering the cap room we still have going into this season. 

I think both should make it.  Prince for sure.  We may as well get super young this year since Howie is treating this as a rebuild.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Another way-too-similar-letters-to-Agholor name though.

1 minute ago, Deamon said:

You didn't like the Reagor pick either.  I know we've all warmed up on it but I wouldn't call it a "good" pick.

Hard to like the draft overall when Round 1 is a B- and Round 2 is an F.

I didn’t at first, but I watched a lot more of him and I’m OK with that one now.  I liked Mims, but clearly teams thought less of him.  Still would have preferred that pick @53, but whatever.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wanogho is a quasi-Blind Side story. Came from Nigeria in high school and lived with coach's family that became family.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-now/0ap3000001110364/Prince-Tega-Wanogho-s-road-from-Nigeria-to-2020-NFL-Draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001058871/article/the-improbable-journey-of-auburn-ot-prince-tega-wanogho (long)

Edited by Mystery Achiever
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ash said:

If you do train him up, or if he comes in and play a few games and has success, then what? Either you’ve created a controversy that doesn’t help $130 million Wentz psyche, or you trade him for what.... say a future SECOND ROUND pick? If his developed play was sustainable and  so good that he’s worth a first or more, then that means Wentz was out a considerable amount of time. So wouldn’t you keep him and trade Wentz and his massive contract?  None of it seems worth the risk to give up a valuable pick in the second, especially when you were without a 3rd rounder.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, need2know said:

I liked this draft

If I told you we would get multiple deep threat wrs, all super fast, a very nice OLB prospect who jumps off the tape, a nice safety/db prospect who will play meaningful snaps, a swing tackle/guard who can contribute, and an upgrade at backup qb who could turn into more than that would you not buy that before the draft?   Don't worry about where they got drafted.  At least this is what I'm telling myself

I’m not at “liking” it but I am better with it than I was before for sure. 

Going in I just wanted weapons and I got that and than some. 

I like adding 2 OL as well

The rest is all up in the air. The positions we picked outside of the above are ones we have done a miserable job of picking. You’re going to need 4 of these guys to pay immediate dividends this year. Who are they? I can feel comfortable saying 2 WR’s out of the 4 we added today. Who’s the other 2?

1 minute ago, Ash said:

I didn’t at first, but I watched a lot more of him and I’m OK with that one now.  I liked Mims, but clearly teams thought less of him.  Still would have preferred that pick @53, but whatever.

Would have taken Pride over Taylor. 

Thursday:  C+ (I don't think it's near as bad as some who are calling it the worst pick of the first round, so I give it an average grade... which isn't bad)
Friday: D (Hurts pick ruins everything.  Taylor was a small reach)
Saturday: B- (hated the two trades, WR speed was nice, OT was great, Bradley and Driscoll both reaches IMO)

Overall:  C-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, G-King said:

If you do train him up, or if he comes in and play a few games and has success, then what? Either you’ve created a controversy that doesn’t help $130 million Wentz psyche, or you trade him for what.... say a future SECOND ROUND pick? If his developed play was sustainable and  so good that he’s worth a first or more, then that means Wentz was out a considerable amount of time. So wouldn’t you keep him and trade Wentz and his massive contract?  None of it seems worth the risk to give up a valuable pick in the second, especially when you were without a 3rd rounder.

I agree and mentioned that this morning. The political mess this could cause in the locker room and with the press could be insane and all of it could’ve been avoided.  

The flip side is if Wentz and Hurts really are as humble as EVERYONE says. If that’s the case it won’t matter. And it’s not like either one of them haven’t been in this situation already lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G-King said:

99% of us, including the guy you're quoting, hate the Hurts pick.