What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

It’s a damn shame because Groh seemed to do well as the WR coach. 

So glad they made these moves. They were very much needed. 

After going through Greg Lewis, Gunter Brewer, Mike Groh, Carson Walch in his first four seasons, Doug Pederson is about to have his fifth WR coach in 5 seasons.

Seems like the 5th?  Or was someone there doing it before Lewis?
Bob Bicknell 2015, before they hired Doug. 

Things needed to be shaken up to get rid of the super bowl complacency. Eagles lucked out the last 2 years in making the playoffs after starting so poorly but they have some talent under performing. A new voice for some of these guys might change it up. 

Also need more talent. Can't have too much talent. 

Jeff mcclane is reporting Doug hadn’t met with lurie at the time of the press conference yesterday and lurie had decided in December groh and walch would be gone.   So basically Doug does the presser and says they’ll be back, meets with lurie, and now they’re gonna. Seems silly if true to have press conference before meeting with owner 

#Eagles released a statement from Doug Pederson announcing the firing of OC Mike Groh and WRs coach Carson Walch. He also apologized for his confusing comments during Wed news conference and reinforced his commitment to DC Jim Schwartz.

I think the notion that Doug simply didn't know that they were going to be fired is likely true.  I think he probably thought they'd be back or was just saying that, but Lurie came down today at the meetings and said they had to go.  Groh has possibly become a bit of a safety net with Groh and I'm sure they have a good relationship, but this change will be good for Doug once it all shakes out. 

Yeah, whether he knew or not, it's not a good look. Either he's in the dark and not on the same page with the front office and/or owner, or he looks bad for lying in the press conference when he knew (instead of responding in a less committal way, like he did when asked about Schwartz.  

Yeah, whether he knew or not, it's not a good look. Either he's in the dark and not on the same page with the front office and/or owner, or he looks bad for lying in the press conference when he knew (instead of responding in a less committal way, like he did when asked about Schwartz.  
Or they just don’t care about the optics which is what I believe it is. They’re on their own time line and probably have good relationships with these guys. No need to essentially lead on that their fired but he shouldn’t have said they’ll be back either. Should have just played it down the middle. 

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?
Maybe a tad.  Maybe he just knows one of Doug's downfalls is his loyalty though. Lurie is a smart businessman and can separate his emotional attachment from a smart decision. 

It's not the end of the world if this is one of Doug's downsides, he has plenty of upsides to make up for it. I'm glad the owner stepped in and made up for it. 

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?
They're his coaching staff. If he doesn't like the way something is going, that's what the owner is supposed to do. He's not hiring the next guy but if he sees a guy is not performing well, he certainly can fire him. 

No, not if the coach wasn't willing to it. The majority of this board was for firing Groh, apparently Lurie saw it the way we did.

This happens in business all the time where the boss has to tell a supervisor to let somebody go, because the supervisor is too close to the situation to see it clearly.

Now if Lurie starts telling Pederson what offense to run or what plays to call, then he overstepping his position.

Pat Shurmur for OC?
Um, no. His offenses with St.Louis, Cleveland, and the Giants were bad. His offenses in Philly were good, but they were Chip Kelly's offense. In Minnesota he had one bad year, and a good year, but even his good year wasn't that great (11th in yards, 10th in points).

I am not a Shurmur fan, either as a head coach or an OC.

That's a no from me, dog. We need someone with fresh eyes, from outside the building (past or present), that is hungry to show they can be innovative and willing to adapt. 
I'm with the noid. No more familiarity or internal hires. Gimme someone with a new outlook who can work with Wentz and his strengths.

That's a no from me, dog. We need someone with fresh eyes, from outside the building (past or present), that is hungry to show they can be innovative and willing to adapt. 

Um, no. His offenses with St.Louis, Cleveland, and the Giants were bad. His offenses in Philly were good, but they were Chip Kelly's offense. In Minnesota he had one bad year, and a good year, but even his good year wasn't that great (11th in yards, 10th in points).

I am not a Shurmur fan, either as a head coach or an OC.
This OC spot needs a veteran. They’re not calling plays and are essentially there for recommendations and coaching. I think this is a spot that needs a vet. Can’t see anyone “up and coming” heading here to not call plays. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This OC spot needs a veteran. They’re not calling plays and are essentially there for recommendations and coaching. I think this is a spot that needs a vet. Can’t see anyone “up and coming” heading here to not call plays. 
I am not against a veteran. I just don't think Shurmur is a very good offensive mind. Just look at some of his misuse of Barcley with the Giants. Last year the Giants were beating the Eagles at half and Barcley had 131 yards on 15 touches. In the second half he had 11 yards on 5 touches. The Giants lost.

I am not against a veteran. I just don't think Shurmur is a very good offensive mind. Just look at some of his misuse of Barcley with the Giants. Last year the Giants were beating the Eagles at half and Barcley had 131 yards on 15 touches. In the second half he had 11 yards on 5 touches. The Giants lost.
I understand and a guy like Reich wouldn’t have fit the definition of what we are looking for now either. What did he have one year as OC and was fired in SD? 

Shurmer has the Reid system experience along with QB coach, OC And HC. Foles, Keenum and Jones all had pretty good seasons with him around too

interesting, and good reporting:

As I noted yesterday, Doug Pederson had yet to meet with owner Jeffery Lurie when he gave Groh and Walch a vote of confidence. He did today. Lurie had pretty much decided by December that he didn’t want either back, an NFL source said. https://t.co/yldY0riZwW

— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) January 9, 2020

I didn't know Lurie would weigh in so much on decisions like that

“Two candidates I'm hearing for the Eagles offensive coordinator post are Jim Caldwell and former Washington OC Kevin O'Connell, per source.”

I understand and a guy like Reich wouldn’t have fit the definition of what we are looking for now either. What did he have one year as OC and was fired in SD? 

Shurmer has the Reid system experience along with QB coach, OC And HC. Foles, Keenum and Jones all had pretty good seasons with him around too
I am fine with Shurmur as a QB coach.

Wentz Diving History:

2017 LA Dive: Has ACL obliterated

2019 Atl Dive: Is ruled short of the end zone due to a dive now being like a slide (even though it's not)

2019 Sea Dive: Knocked silly by Clowney

2020: NO MORE DIVES!!!!

The last one was his decision to fire Kelly, and that seems to have worked out OK. As long as he’s not telling the coaches what to do on gameday, I’m ok with it. He’s not a Snyder/Haslam/Jones type.

good point by Zach Berman on the athletic about trying to fill the offensive coordinator position:

"The Eagles offensive coordinator role is tricky to fill. You don’t call plays. It’s not your offense. That could affect the pool of candidates."

If anyone hires Groh as more than a positional coach they need to be drug tested. Lets all be thankful this is behind us. 

#Eagles released a statement from Doug Pederson announcing the firing of OC Mike Groh and WRs coach Carson Walch. He also apologized for his confusing comments during Wed news conference and reinforced his commitment to DC Jim Schwartz.

I think the notion that Doug simply didn't know that they were going to be fired is likely true.  I think he probably thought they'd be back or was just saying that, but Lurie came down today at the meetings and said they had to go.  Groh has possibly become a bit of a safety net with Groh and I'm sure they have a good relationship, but this change will be good for Doug once it all shakes out. 

I knew both would be gone. Doug gave them a vote of Confidence which is never a good thing 

No more REAL dives. He needs to take more of the ones like Wilson did that got Barnett a penalty. Barnett tried to pull up and even attempted to hold Wilson upright, but he turned on the spaghetti legs to draw the flag.
It's still not as bad as the Dive Cam Newton had that got a PF on us during a False Start on Car in Carolina one year on TNF with Kelly still coach. That was a Lebron like dive 

I wouldn't be opposed to Kafka at OC, but who knows.

We might need to take the reins away from Pederson if see the same slow starts with a new OC.

We might need to take the reins away from Pederson if see the same slow starts with a new OC.
I still want Doug calling plays. I just want a veteran guy who can tell him when he’s wrong. I don’t want a new ‘yes sir’ type. From what I’ve read both Reich and Flip has strong personalities and I’m sure that helped a lot of coaching and game planning. 

Out of all the OC’s I see rumored give me Caldwell. On the surface he seems almost over qualified but I think he can bring a lot of good experience to the team

I still want Doug calling plays. I just want a veteran guy who can tell him when he’s wrong. I don’t want a new ‘yes sir’ type. From what I’ve read both Reich and Flip has strong personalities and I’m sure that helped a lot of coaching and game planning. 

Out of all the OC’s I see rumored give me Caldwell. On the surface he seems almost over qualified but I think he can bring a lot of good experience to the team
You think Caldwell would take OC?

Easy upgrade from groh

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at the amount of concern expressed by Philly writers along these lines. At least a couple are accusing Lurie  of undermining Doug's authority and making him look really bad, especially after what he said in the press conference on Wednesday. Writers now questioning how much input Doug will have in selecting the next OC (will Lurie "request" that it be Duce?) and speculating that Doug is probably pissed about how this all appears for him. Some writers even questioning why Groh should have been fired considering the great job done getting the team into the playoffs with a bunch of scrubs. While I expected some questioning of why and how it was done, I wasn't expecting the extent of negativity I'm seeing. Hopefully it's just stirring the pot and doesn't reflect how Doug really feels or the nature of the relationship between him and Lurie.

Users who are viewing this thread