What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (2 Viewers)

Connor Barwin was seen with Eagles player development and scouts at the Shrine bowl. An announcement in the coming weeks or days should happen. It'll be a low level position 

Joe Brady backed out of his LSU extension to sign with Carolina as their OC. Dam I wish we could've had him for our OC 

Connor Barwin was seen with Eagles player development and scouts at the Shrine bowl. An announcement in the coming weeks or days should happen. It'll be a low level position 
Got to chat with him the Friday before the Pats game as he was hanging out with us at the novacare in the DLine room. Was surprised to see him in there when we walked in, but he's such a nice dude.  He has already been involved with the team during the past season helping out a bit with the defense a bit.

Just read this on Rotoworld, would love this hire. Toughest WR I’ve seen, would be the perfect type of personality to add to this group. 
Blocking is such an under appreciated skill from a WR and Ward was one of the best at it.  Not to mention he ran good routes and had good hands.  Nobody knows for sure but I would think he would be a very good mentor to some of the young receivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
More proof this is a (knowledgeable) football city: There has been just as much (if not more) discussion on local sports radio this week about the WR and DB coaching vacancies, as the OC. 

Joe Brady backed out of his LSU extension to sign with Carolina as their OC. Dam I wish we could've had him for our OC 
I think this was a 💰decision ... Plus combined with Rhule and the "process" of Brady getting in from begining looks like a good opportunity for a young coach. 

It looks like it will be a full rebuild in Carolina... 

Ha!! Maybe I should have said "engaged with informed opinions." Most of the fan base's strong thoughts and feelings took an L on the McNabb/Ricky Williams pick, too.
I think that was mostly done by too many people listening to Catadli and the bunch. As of now many of his listeners back then don't listen or just listen to hear what idiotic comments and hot takes me makes now. Super Fan Shaun Young stopped associating with the clown too. Cataldi wanted to get the Dirty 30 back together to boo McNabb as a Redskin his first game back. At the time Youn was a guest host on the show I believe 1 or 2 days a week. When Young refused to do it Cataldi basically told him he wasn't welcomed back on the show. Angelo was so butthurt about it he tried to start spreading some terrible rumors on Shaun which fortunately no one believed. Angelo is a straight up clown from RI who is a mixed bag of Boston/NY fan. I'm glad most people are tired of this clowns schtick. Some of the biggest negative fan incidents in this town have been because of him. The day he admitted he was in chard of the JD Drew battery throwing incident if I was his boss his ### would've been canned and never welcomed back. He's lucky Drew didn't press charges or Cataldi would've had to lawyer up big time. He's lucky Drew wasn't seriously injured. I hated Drew for not signing but in the long run it was a blessing in disguise. Dude was never healthy and always complained. Would've been ran out of this town before his rookie deal was up. 

I think this was a 💰decision ... Plus combined with Rhule and the "process" of Brady getting in from begining looks like a good opportunity for a young coach. 

It looks like it will be a full rebuild in Carolina... 
Plus they just lost Kuekley to do to retirement. if they go full rebuild they are essentially wasting CMC's best years. By the time they could fully compete again he'll be on a huge contract with more wear and tear. Team should've moved on from Cam about 3 yrs ago when he still had good value. 

They actually did overlap briefly believe it or not.
And AB showed zero signs of this craziness back then, so that must have been Ward's influence.

/sarcasm

+1 for Ward hire, one of my favorites to watch back in the day, especially how tough he played without the ball as already mentioned. Top notch work ethics, would be great for the team.

Jon Runyan was on WIP this morning to discus the no-fine Clowney hit. Summary:

• Hit was borderline, but Clowney's elbow slightly touched Wentz's back first, so anything after that (including helmet-to-helmet) is considered incidental contact.
  • The result of that incidental contact (concussion) does not factor in at all.
  • Said Wentz has to go feet first to give himself up as a runner, but then ignored when it was brought up that in the ATL game he has declared as giving himself up when he was diving forward.
  • Mentioned that if the hit was found to be fine worthy, Clowney's past history would factor into the amount of that fine and/or possible suspension. 

Adam Caplan on 97.5 this morning, on the Eagles coaching searches:

• James Urban for OC is strong possibility, but they are taking their time to find right guy
  • Confirmed interest in Hines Ward as WR coach
  • Didn't talk to DeFilippo about coming back because they are happy with Press Taylor as QB coach

Adam Caplan on 97.5 this morning, on the Eagles coaching searches:

• James Urban for OC is strong possibility, but they are taking their time to find right guy
  • Confirmed interest in Hines Ward as WR coach
  • Didn't talk to DeFilippo about coming back because they are happy with Press Taylor as QB coach
Interesting on Urban.  Wonder how much of Jackson's success this year was coaching and how much was him just playing great.  It would fit well with our history of bringing back past positional coaches for sure, and he does have the history with Doug.  I totally forgot that Urban was our assistant OC here in Philly for about 3 weeks before taking another gig.

Saw today that DeFeilippo (no matter how many times I type that, I always think I'm going to misspell it) is now the new Bears QB coach.  Clearly we had no interest in bringing him back at all, think that bridge has burned.

Deamon said:
Interesting on Urban.  Wonder how much of Jackson's success this year was coaching and how much was him just playing great.  It would fit well with our history of bringing back past positional coaches for sure, and he does have the history with Doug.  I totally forgot that Urban was our assistant OC here in Philly for about 3 weeks before taking another gig.

Saw today that DeFeilippo (no matter how many times I type that, I always think I'm going to misspell it) is now the new Bears QB coach.  Clearly we had no interest in bringing him back at all, think that bridge has burned.
I can’t tell if Urban is a serious candidate or one of those “let’s see what we can learn from a guy” interviews. Either way I’m intrigued. 

Wanted to give a bit of an update of the DB coaching. I talked  my co worker who's son is one of the assistant Secondary Coaches  and she talked to him the same night Undlin was announced in Det. From what I gathered Undlin was blocked from other gigs over the last few years and his relationship soured with Schwartz to no fault of Jim's pigheadedness. Undlin tried to make it work even told the team he had an offer to to be a DC this offseason but would stay on if Jim got the Browns Job with hope that he'd maybe Replace JS. As fate would have it that didn't happen. Schwartz is back and the Eagles let Undlin go for the Det DC job which he ended up getting. My co worker's son right now is in Boston with his fiancee (Where her family is from) and there doesn't seem to be much news for the next few days on who could get the position nor has he been told if he's a candidate. Personally I think he is because he's very well liked and respected by a lot of the players and a lot of the players new to the city always seem to hit him up for the hottest places to go either eat, shop, chill etc. He's well respected by Coach Pederson given the obvious fact that Doug told him if he got the Philly job he was taking him home no ifs and or buts about it and Andy was devastated to see him go but at the time couldn't offer him a promotion or pay raise like Doug plus the chance to go coach for the home town team. So right now it sounds like we're in the waiting stages of the team gathering info on candidates before doing interviews and such. 

Not Eagles related by Drew Rosenhaus with a boss move today. He basically dropped Antonio Brown and said he won't represent him till he seeks further counsel. Dam when DR drops you like that you know you'd gone and F'd up

Wanted to give a bit of an update of the DB coaching. I talked  my co worker who's son is one of the assistant Secondary Coaches  and she talked to him the same night Undlin was announced in Det. From what I gathered Undlin was blocked from other gigs over the last few years and his relationship soured with Schwartz to no fault of Jim's pigheadedness. Undlin tried to make it work even told the team he had an offer to to be a DC this offseason but would stay on if Jim got the Browns Job with hope that he'd maybe Replace JS. As fate would have it that didn't happen. Schwartz is back and the Eagles let Undlin go for the Det DC job which he ended up getting. My co worker's son right now is in Boston with his fiancee (Where her family is from) and there doesn't seem to be much news for the next few days on who could get the position nor has he been told if he's a candidate. Personally I think he is because he's very well liked and respected by a lot of the players and a lot of the players new to the city always seem to hit him up for the hottest places to go either eat, shop, chill etc. He's well respected by Coach Pederson given the obvious fact that Doug told him if he got the Philly job he was taking him home no ifs and or buts about it and Andy was devastated to see him go but at the time couldn't offer him a promotion or pay raise like Doug plus the chance to go coach for the home town team. So right now it sounds like we're in the waiting stages of the team gathering info on candidates before doing interviews and such. 
As a sub positional coach under multiple regimes he’s clearly well respected.

I can’t get on board with that one. The suspension talk was over the top IMO but a hit like that has to be fined. 

Thats an ejection in college football. 
Here's the thing. They flag results, but fines and suspensions should be built around intentions. DB's get flagged all the time for hits to "defenseless" WRs who ducked or twisted at the last moment AFTER the DB committed to a hit...Wentz was moving, Clowney had committed long before the contact. They've long allowed defenders to hit players who are already CLEARLY going down, so that part of the argument is null...Wentz was NOT down at the time Clowney committed. While the end result was H2H hit, it looks more like Clowney tried to lead with the shoulder, and WEntz height/angle was changing as he went in. I don't think there's any reasonable way to call the hit intentionally dirty.

So....hard no on a suspension. I could be convinced of a relatively small fine given the player's history, but the outrage is out of proportion to the actual crime here. Bad miss on the flag, but we see more egregious misses nearly every game

Last edited by a moderator:
James will regret that in 5 yrs when everyone in the league is wondering what happened to Lamar Jackson when he goes all Kaepernick (In terms of success). Guys with their style of play especially QB aren't long term Franchise QB. They are your win now QBs which is the spot Baltimore is in right now. People will figure out how to defend this offense real soon and Tenn just laid the blue print for it. The first people who will go are the coordinators before the QB when things get bad. 

Ugh, I'm devastated.  My friend won't be coaching the team this upcoming season.  Was incredibly lucky to have that in for the last 2 years, and was looking forward to it again but no such luck.  Pretty surprised.

Don't understand the move.  They are super shocked by it and didn't see it coming.  I feel so bad for them, they are such great people.  43 sacks this year in his first year running the unit, and did so without Malik and lots of the year without Timmy.  I really don't get this move at all.  ☹️

Don't understand the move.  They are super shocked by it and didn't see it coming.  I feel so bad for them, they are such great people.  43 sacks this year in his first year running the unit, and did so without Malik and lots of the year without Timmy.  I really don't get this move at all.  ☹️
The Def Line coach? Dam? that sucks

My two thoughts are young guys not developing how they wanted or the fact the pass rush would completely disappear for large chunks of games. A quarter of those sacks were against the Jets. The d-line was a disappointment this year, IMO. So many games they should have had a huge advantage against bad/injured o-lines and rarely capitalized, and for Schwartz's defense to work they need pressure from the front four. They were great against the run, though. Sorry for your friend, but obviously management wasn't happy with a lot of coaching. Wonder if anyone else gets the ax.

My two thoughts are young guys not developing how they wanted or the fact the pass rush would completely disappear for large chunks of games. A quarter of those sacks were against the Jets. The d-line was a disappointment this year, IMO. So many games they should have had a huge advantage against bad/injured o-lines and rarely capitalized, and for Schwartz's defense to work they need pressure from the front four. They were great against the run, though. Sorry for your friend, but obviously management wasn't happy with a lot of coaching. Wonder if anyone else gets the ax.
I thought Sweat was developing well. Barnett - probably not developing into a stud, but seems solid enough. DL was a disappointment - but a lot of that, imo, was Cox not playing near his level, and little production next to him from the other DT spot. I don't know enough to say if thats on coaching or not. The personal side of this business sucks when it comes to cuts and firings, hope he gets another opportunity.

I thought Sweat was developing well. Barnett - probably not developing into a stud, but seems solid enough. DL was a disappointment - but a lot of that, imo, was Cox not playing near his level, and little production next to him from the other DT spot. I don't know enough to say if thats on coaching or not. The personal side of this business sucks when it comes to cuts and firings, hope he gets another opportunity.
I think he did a good job of developing the talent that he had this year.  He developed Anthony Rush and Josh Sweat pretty well this year.  BG had a good year.  Cox was coming off an injury and Barnett also hurt this year.  Malik injury obviously killed them too.  Sucks that it was his FIRST year with the unit, he did a solid job while being hindered by injuries, and he's out right away.  And they're talking about Matt Burke replacing him now?  Give me a ####### break.

I hope someone else gives him a shot, just really sucks it will be with a different team besides Philly. 

I think he did a good job of developing the talent that he had this year.  He developed Anthony Rush and Josh Sweat pretty well this year.  BG had a good year.  Cox was coming off an injury and Barnett also hurt this year.  Malik injury obviously killed them too.  Sucks that it was his FIRST year with the unit, he did a solid job while being hindered by injuries, and he's out right away.  And they're talking about Matt Burke replacing him now?  Give me a ####### break.

I hope someone else gives him a shot, just really sucks it will be with a different team besides Philly. 
What is the contract structure for assistants? One year at a time?

What is the contract structure for assistants? One year at a time?
Usually if they are coming in with the new coach the whole staff is on the same contract in terms of years unless theres a metal agreement on lesser or more years but they are never guaranteed to stay. 

MIA D was horrific under Burke. I have no idea why they'd want to replace Daniels with him. There was some talk earlier in the last few weeks if Schwartz left for Clevland Burke could take over DC. I'd rather keep JS here gun to my head and had to pick between those two.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
they need to look at the old tapes of Gronk/Hernandez and get Dallas and Ertz on the field together at all times 
Yep and add a deep threat and they might have a respectable passing game. 

The Noid said:
Graham Harrell, OC for USC, getting a lot of buzz for OC. This is exactly the kind of hire I'm on board with.  
Would rather get some with a bit more success that didn't come first from a conference that doesn't have the word Defense in it and then coaches in a Conference that's basically a cut above from said conference in defense 

The Noid said:
Graham Harrell, OC for USC, getting a lot of buzz for OC. This is exactly the kind of hire I'm on board with.  
This is  exactly the kind of person I was hoping for too.  Someone young, and fresh.  Let Doug still be the man and call every play, but get him game planning behind the scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread