Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Noid

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Scared owners with bad QBs shoot down 4th and 15 proposal; boring onside kicks remain.

Recommended Posts

It’s a damn shame because Groh seemed to do well as the WR coach. 

So glad they made these moves. They were very much needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Deamon said:

After going through Greg Lewis, Gunter Brewer, Mike Groh, Carson Walch in his first four seasons, Doug Pederson is about to have his fifth WR coach in 5 seasons.

Seems like the 5th?  Or was someone there doing it before Lewis?

Bob Bicknell 2015, before they hired Doug. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Bring back DeFilippo as OC?

He's Jacksonville's OC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things needed to be shaken up to get rid of the super bowl complacency. Eagles lucked out the last 2 years in making the playoffs after starting so poorly but they have some talent under performing. A new voice for some of these guys might change it up. 

Also need more talent. Can't have too much talent. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff mcclane is reporting Doug hadn’t met with lurie at the time of the press conference yesterday and lurie had decided in December groh and walch would be gone.   So basically Doug does the presser and says they’ll be back, meets with lurie, and now they’re gonna. Seems silly if true to have press conference before meeting with owner 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Deamon said:

#Eagles released a statement from Doug Pederson announcing the firing of OC Mike Groh and WRs coach Carson Walch. He also apologized for his confusing comments during Wed news conference and reinforced his commitment to DC Jim Schwartz.

I think the notion that Doug simply didn't know that they were going to be fired is likely true.  I think he probably thought they'd be back or was just saying that, but Lurie came down today at the meetings and said they had to go.  Groh has possibly become a bit of a safety net with Groh and I'm sure they have a good relationship, but this change will be good for Doug once it all shakes out. 

 

Yeah, whether he knew or not, it's not a good look. Either he's in the dark and not on the same page with the front office and/or owner, or he looks bad for lying in the press conference when he knew (instead of responding in a less committal way, like he did when asked about Schwartz.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

 F()k’s sake man that was mildly disturbing. Especially the wink at the end 🤣

I think Doug accidentally took some Molly when he woke up 😂

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Noid said:

Yeah, whether he knew or not, it's not a good look. Either he's in the dark and not on the same page with the front office and/or owner, or he looks bad for lying in the press conference when he knew (instead of responding in a less committal way, like he did when asked about Schwartz.  

Or they just don’t care about the optics which is what I believe it is. They’re on their own time line and probably have good relationships with these guys. No need to essentially lead on that their fired but he shouldn’t have said they’ll be back either. Should have just played it down the middle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I think Doug accidentally took some Molly when he woke up 😂

I saw that tweet reply too, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?

Maybe a tad.  Maybe he just knows one of Doug's downfalls is his loyalty though. Lurie is a smart businessman and can separate his emotional attachment from a smart decision. 

It's not the end of the world if this is one of Doug's downsides, he has plenty of upsides to make up for it. I'm glad the owner stepped in and made up for it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?

They're his coaching staff. If he doesn't like the way something is going, that's what the owner is supposed to do. He's not hiring the next guy but if he sees a guy is not performing well, he certainly can fire him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?

No, not if the coach wasn't willing to it. The majority of this board was for firing Groh, apparently Lurie saw it the way we did.

This happens in business all the time where the boss has to tell a supervisor to let somebody go, because the supervisor is too close to the situation to see it clearly.

Now if Lurie starts telling Pederson what offense to run or what plays to call, then he overstepping his position.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Source says Nathan Gerry had core muscle surgery today similar to DeSean Jackson 

Source says Nathan tore it in camp but played through it the whole season because he had the chance to play defense

  • Thinking 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bigboy10182000 said:
16 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Pat Shurmur for OC?

I’d be good with it. 

That's a no from me, dog. We need someone with fresh eyes, from outside the building (past or present), that is hungry to show they can be innovative and willing to adapt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Pat Shurmur for OC?

Um, no. His offenses with St.Louis, Cleveland, and the Giants were bad. His offenses in Philly were good, but they were Chip Kelly's offense. In Minnesota he had one bad year, and a good year, but even his good year wasn't that great (11th in yards, 10th in points).

I am not a Shurmur fan, either as a head coach or an OC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Noid said:

That's a no from me, dog. We need someone with fresh eyes, from outside the building (past or present), that is hungry to show they can be innovative and willing to adapt. 

I'm with the noid. No more familiarity or internal hires. Gimme someone with a new outlook who can work with Wentz and his strengths.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current headline on the Eagles website really buries the lede  :lmao:

Quote

Doug Pederson issues statement on offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach positions

 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, The Noid said:

That's a no from me, dog. We need someone with fresh eyes, from outside the building (past or present), that is hungry to show they can be innovative and willing to adapt. 

 

11 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Um, no. His offenses with St.Louis, Cleveland, and the Giants were bad. His offenses in Philly were good, but they were Chip Kelly's offense. In Minnesota he had one bad year, and a good year, but even his good year wasn't that great (11th in yards, 10th in points).

I am not a Shurmur fan, either as a head coach or an OC.

This OC spot needs a veteran. They’re not calling plays and are essentially there for recommendations and coaching. I think this is a spot that needs a vet. Can’t see anyone “up and coming” heading here to not call plays. 

Edited by Bigboy10182000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

 

This OC spot needs a veteran. They’re not calling plays and are essentially there for recommendations and coaching. I think this is a spot that needs a vet. Can’t see anyone “up and coming” heading here to not call plays. 

I am not against a veteran. I just don't think Shurmur is a very good offensive mind. Just look at some of his misuse of Barcley with the Giants. Last year the Giants were beating the Eagles at half and Barcley had 131 yards on 15 touches. In the second half he had 11 yards on 5 touches. The Giants lost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dhockster said:

I am not against a veteran. I just don't think Shurmur is a very good offensive mind. Just look at some of his misuse of Barcley with the Giants. Last year the Giants were beating the Eagles at half and Barcley had 131 yards on 15 touches. In the second half he had 11 yards on 5 touches. The Giants lost.

I understand and a guy like Reich wouldn’t have fit the definition of what we are looking for now either. What did he have one year as OC and was fired in SD? 

Shurmer has the Reid system experience along with QB coach, OC And HC. Foles, Keenum and Jones all had pretty good seasons with him around too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

I think Doug accidentally took some Molly when he woke up 😂

i really suggest everyone check out the latest Birds with Friends podcast. not sure how to link in here, but they did talk about Doug at the press conference and how he was totally different then he usually is (like he started vacation already).

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/birds-with-friends-a-show-about-the-philadelphia-eagles/id1281676586

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting, and good reporting:

As I noted yesterday, Doug Pederson had yet to meet with owner Jeffery Lurie when he gave Groh and Walch a vote of confidence. He did today. Lurie had pretty much decided by December that he didn’t want either back, an NFL source said. https://t.co/yldY0riZwW

— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) January 9, 2020

 

I didn't know Lurie would weigh in so much on decisions like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Two candidates I'm hearing for the Eagles offensive coordinator post are Jim Caldwell and former Washington OC Kevin O'Connell, per source.”

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

I understand and a guy like Reich wouldn’t have fit the definition of what we are looking for now either. What did he have one year as OC and was fired in SD? 

Shurmer has the Reid system experience along with QB coach, OC And HC. Foles, Keenum and Jones all had pretty good seasons with him around too

I am fine with Shurmur as a QB coach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wentz Diving History:

2017 LA Dive: Has ACL obliterated

2019 Atl Dive: Is ruled short of the end zone due to a dive now being like a slide (even though it's not)

2019 Sea Dive: Knocked silly by Clowney

 

2020: NO MORE DIVES!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

“Two candidates I'm hearing for the Eagles offensive coordinator post are Jim Caldwell and former Washington OC Kevin O'Connell, per source.”

Actually wouldn't mind either.  Would prefer a young offensive mind but these would be okay.  Just no Duce.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Actually wouldn't mind either.  Would prefer a young offensive mind but these would be okay.  Just no Duce.

Caldwell intrigues me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, dhockster said:

2020: NO MORE DIVES!!!!

No more REAL dives. He needs to take more of the ones like Wilson did that got Barnett a penalty. Barnett tried to pull up and even attempted to hold Wilson upright, but he turned on the spaghetti legs to draw the flag.

Edited by The Noid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank the gods groh is gone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JetMaxx said:

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?

The last one was his decision to fire Kelly, and that seems to have worked out OK. As long as he’s not telling the coaches what to do on gameday, I’m ok with it. He’s not a Snyder/Haslam/Jones type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good point by Zach Berman on the athletic about trying to fill the offensive coordinator position:

"The Eagles offensive coordinator role is tricky to fill. You don’t call plays. It’s not your offense. That could affect the pool of candidates."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone hires Groh as more than a positional coach they need to be drug tested. Lets all be thankful this is behind us. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Deamon said:

#Eagles released a statement from Doug Pederson announcing the firing of OC Mike Groh and WRs coach Carson Walch. He also apologized for his confusing comments during Wed news conference and reinforced his commitment to DC Jim Schwartz.

I think the notion that Doug simply didn't know that they were going to be fired is likely true.  I think he probably thought they'd be back or was just saying that, but Lurie came down today at the meetings and said they had to go.  Groh has possibly become a bit of a safety net with Groh and I'm sure they have a good relationship, but this change will be good for Doug once it all shakes out. 

 

I knew both would be gone. Doug gave them a vote of Confidence which is never a good thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Noid said:

No more REAL dives. He needs to take more of the ones like Wilson did that got Barnett a penalty. Barnett tried to pull up and even attempted to hold Wilson upright, but he turned on the spaghetti legs to draw the flag.

It's still not as bad as the Dive Cam Newton had that got a PF on us during a False Start on Car in Carolina one year on TNF with Kelly still coach. That was a Lebron like dive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

If anyone hires Groh as more than a positional coach they need to be FIRED. Lets all be thankful this is behind us. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/772606-dk-metcalf-wr-ole-miss-declares-for-the-nfl-draft/?do=findComment&comment=22430034
 

There’s a lot to glean from this. Everybody gets medicals wrong and 1 season doesn’t determine the verdict on this one. But putting players in position to play to their strengths is huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Not sure if this should be good on Wentz or another WTF is our Medical Staff and NFL Independent DRs doing not doing their job

NFL DR calls Wentz Heroic for reporting his OWN CONCUSSION

It fairly common for a player to report his own concussion. It’s happens quite a bit. 

And the Eagles and independent docs all did their jobs. 

Edited by Bigboy10182000
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be opposed to Kafka at OC, but who knows.

 

We might need to take the reins away from Pederson if see the same slow starts with a new OC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

We might need to take the reins away from Pederson if see the same slow starts with a new OC.

I still want Doug calling plays. I just want a veteran guy who can tell him when he’s wrong. I don’t want a new ‘yes sir’ type. From what I’ve read both Reich and Flip has strong personalities and I’m sure that helped a lot of coaching and game planning. 

Out of all the OC’s I see rumored give me Caldwell. On the surface he seems almost over qualified but I think he can bring a lot of good experience to the team

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

I still want Doug calling plays. I just want a veteran guy who can tell him when he’s wrong. I don’t want a new ‘yes sir’ type. From what I’ve read both Reich and Flip has strong personalities and I’m sure that helped a lot of coaching and game planning. 

Out of all the OC’s I see rumored give me Caldwell. On the surface he seems almost over qualified but I think he can bring a lot of good experience to the team

You think Caldwell would take OC?

Easy upgrade from groh

Edited by need2know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, need2know said:

You think Caldwell would take OC?

I really don’t know. I haven’t heard his name mentioned as a HC recently and if he wants back in this could be a good start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JetMaxx said:

Is it a little disconcerting that Lurie was so involved in a “football” decision?

I'm surprised at the amount of concern expressed by Philly writers along these lines. At least a couple are accusing Lurie  of undermining Doug's authority and making him look really bad, especially after what he said in the press conference on Wednesday. Writers now questioning how much input Doug will have in selecting the next OC (will Lurie "request" that it be Duce?) and speculating that Doug is probably pissed about how this all appears for him. Some writers even questioning why Groh should have been fired considering the great job done getting the team into the playoffs with a bunch of scrubs. While I expected some questioning of why and how it was done, I wasn't expecting the extent of negativity I'm seeing. Hopefully it's just stirring the pot and doesn't reflect how Doug really feels or the nature of the relationship between him and Lurie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.