Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ditkaless Wonders

Seattle vs Green Bay pregame thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Lots of history, lots of scars.

 

"We want the ball and we are going to score."  Good memory for me as a Packer fan though the first quarter of that game was a misery for me as I recall.

The Fail Mary. -- It brought back the regular refs.  Bad memory for me.  Good one, I suppose, for Seattle fans.  That it brought back the regular refs tells us all we really need to know about the play.

The 2014 meltdown.  Permanent scars for me, probably a great memory for Seattle fans.  How the Packers could blow that lead still escapes me.   My memory still goes to the lollipop throw on the 2-pt conversion and to the onside kick.  Poorly executed by Seattle.  Should never have worked.  Even more poorly executed by Green Bay, disgraceful even, and the scars just wont heal.

Now, another one.

Oh, and don't think I don't remember that Marshawn Lynch choose Seattle over Green Bay when he left Buffalo.

Also, as Wisconsin fan I can't root against Wilson or the Seattle front office with its Green Bay connections.

I hope the good Packers show up.  I hope the Seahawks all eat the fish on the flight in and get a bit of 24 hour food poisoning.  Nothing serious, just enough to weaken their constitutions and will.

Here comes another chapter in the story.

 

 

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh, Pete Carroll, dispose of your gum properly and keep your ### in the coaching box instead of three yards out on the field.  it annoys me. Thanks.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I feel like the Packers should win given the home field, lack of travel relative to what Seattle has had to do, and their overall health. And given the field of initial NFC playoff participants, it doesn't seem like things could have been set up any better for the Pack to pick up a win. They easily could have missed out on a bye. And they also could be playing the Saints this weekend. Maybe a banged up Philly would have been a easier road to hoe, but the Eagles won in Lambeau earlier this season. I won't be surprised if Seattle pulls the upset given Russell Wilson's consistent penchant for heroics, but it just feels like this season set up for at least one playoff home win. I wouldn't be disappointed to lose in SF next weekend, but I'd be let down with a one and done. Things will get real interesting with a win this Sunday coupled with a Vikings upset.

I heard whispers that things are shaping up for a big storm to hit Cheeseland this weekend. Did I hear that right? Sounded like potentially a big rain event down in Milwaukee but I figured that might mean heavy flakes in Green Bay. I'd love nothing more than to watch a whiteout game on TV from the comfort of my living room in 60 degree Las Vegas. :fingerscrossed:

Edited by Mr Anonymous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Oh, and don't think I don't remember that Marshawn Lynch choose Seattle over Green Bay when he left Buffalo..

 

He didn't choose, Bills traded him to Seattle. Rumor was that GB was in talks to trade from him early on in the season, but negotiations fell through.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-packers-te-says-marshawn-lynch-wanted-to-play-for-green-bay/

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/packers-bills-2010-trade-marshawn-lynch-aj-hawk

 

Edited by SEA425

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not watched a lot of Green Bay Packer games this season, but it is somewhat surprising to me that when I watched Aaron Jones was awesome and yet they finished only #15 in rushing yardage and #17 in passing yardage. So many close games so that even though they earned a first week bye, they only outscored their opponents by 3.9 points total over the season. And I can't help but be curious how the "rookie" coach does in his first playoff appearance. Seattle definitely has the best opportunity of all the visiting teams to pull the upset so I am looking forward to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SEA425 said:

 

He didn't choose, Bills traded him to Seattle. Rumor was that GB was in talks to trade from him early on in the season, but negotiations fell through.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-packers-te-says-marshawn-lynch-wanted-to-play-for-green-bay/

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/packers-bills-2010-trade-marshawn-lynch-aj-hawk

 

Thanks.  My memory was that he had some say in the matter and that he preferred Seattle.  Memory can be a fallible thing but I thought he preferred Green Bay massively over Buffalo but that once he got a whiff of getting to the west coast that was it for the Packers.  As I recall the matter the Packers were willing to go a third rounder, Seattle came in with a fourth and a fifth, but Lynch or his agent indicated signing in Green Bay would be temporary at best as he preferred the west coast, causing the Packers to withdraw from negotiations.  The Seahawks got him cheaper, is my memory because he preferred the location, though he did prefer the Packers over the Bills.

 

I also recall us having each others receivers on our rosters for a year or two some years back. Maybe Koren Robinson and someone else.  I am sure others will remember.  And of course the obvious coaching connection, front office connections and the inimitable Mr. Hasselbach. 

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Stephen Holloway said:

I have not watched a lot of Green Bay Packer games this season, but it is somewhat surprising to me that when I watched Aaron Jones was awesome and yet they finished only #15 in rushing yardage and #17 in passing yardage. So many close games so that even though they earned a first week bye, they only outscored their opponents by 3.9 points total over the season. And I can't help but be curious how the "rookie" coach does in his first playoff appearance. Seattle definitely has the best opportunity of all the visiting teams to pull the upset so I am looking forward to the game.

The Packers offense was (to be charitable) uneven this year.  This is probably one of the worst 13-3 teams I've ever seen.  At least, that's how it feels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, Pack fans. Hope for a good game. We'll see. I could see any number of weird things happening. 

If Duane Brown returns at LT for Seattle this week I think it helps a ton, but enough to win in GB? I have my serious doubts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, coyote5 said:

The Packers offense was (to be charitable) uneven this year.  This is probably one of the worst 13-3 teams I've ever seen.  At least, that's how it feels.

Our defense and special teams were uneven as well.  Still, 13-3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Our defense and special teams were uneven as well.  Still, 13-3.

Agreed.  Add it all up and it equals one of the worst 13-3 teams I can recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, coyote5 said:

The Packers offense was (to be charitable) uneven this year.  This is probably one of the worst 13-3 teams I've ever seen.  At least, that's how it feels.

I am having difficulty googling 13-3 NFL teams above and beyond the obvious of this year, so who can say.  I see the Tennessee Titans of Music City Miracle fame were one and the 2011 Saints as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coyote5 said:

Agreed.  Add it all up and it equals one of the worst 13-3 teams I can recall.

Help me recall others.  I would like to see a list of maybe ten such teams.  I can't find one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Help me recall others.  I would like to see a list of maybe ten such teams.  I can't find one.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/

I just took a look at the past 25 years.  No 13-3 team had a worse expected W-L than this year's Packers at 9.7 - 6.3.   not sure how valuable or meaningful that particular stat is but it reinforces what I was thinking earlier which is that this team really felt like a 9-7, 10-6 type team.

I think the 13-3 '99 Colts had an expected W total of 10.2 and that's the closest to the Packers 9.7.  All the other teams were high 10s or greater.  I got bored and didn't go beyond the 25 years lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck Seattle fans, lets just hope for a game decided by the players not the officiating. I mean that honestly for both teams. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Help me recall others.  I would like to see a list of maybe ten such teams.  I can't find one.

Last weekend, the Saints became the first 13-3 team in NFL history to lose in the wildcard round of the playoffs, so I think its safe to say they are pretty much objectively the worst 13-3 team ever.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coyote5 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/

I just took a look at the past 25 years.  No 13-3 team had a worse expected W-L than this year's Packers at 9.7 - 6.3.   not sure how valuable or meaningful that particular stat is but it reinforces what I was thinking earlier which is that this team really felt like a 9-7, 10-6 type team.

I think the 13-3 '99 Colts had an expected W total of 10.2 and that's the closest to the Packers 9.7.  All the other teams were high 10s or greater.  I got bored and didn't go beyond the 25 years lol.

Interesting stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home field favors the Packers, and its true the Seahawks are on something like an 8 straight run of losses at Lambeau.  That said, for all its tradition and splendor, Lambeau Field has not been a significant home-field advantage for the Packers in the playoffs in recent years.  It was an absolute fortress for a decade or longer, but those days are long gone.  I was at the very first Packers home playoff loss in the team's history, a snowy night about 15 or so years ago when Michael Vick ran wild at Lambeau.  I was in the end zone seats when Randy Moss faux-mooned the crowd after scoring the touchdown that ended the Packers playoff run a few years later, and saw them lose twice to the Giants - once in Favre's last ever Packer game (OT loss in NFC Championship game) and again a few years later when Eli Manning outplayed Aaron Rodgers and ended the season at Lambeau for the 15-1 Packers.  The feeling of confidence we would like and expect to have as a #2 seed hosting a home divisional game is completely absent for me this season.  If I had to set a line, I'm pretty sure I would make the Packers an underdog at home, although admittedly I've seen very little of the Seahawks this season.  Expectations are very low in my neck of the woods.  Still a great thing to be back in the playoffs and have a home game.  I'm grilling a batch of wings and taking them to my neighbor's house Sunday evening.  GoPack

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7-1 home team vs 7-1 road team so I would expect a close one either way. If forced to bet I would take the 4 points. Wilson has also looked a bit better than Rodgers recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Home field favors the Packers, and its true the Seahawks are on something like an 8 straight run of losses at Lambeau.  That said, for all its tradition and splendor, Lambeau Field has not been a significant home-field advantage for the Packers in the playoffs in recent years.  It was an absolute fortress for a decade or longer, but those days are long gone.  I was at the very first Packers home playoff loss in the team's history, a snowy night about 15 or so years ago when Michael Vick ran wild at Lambeau.  I was in the end zone seats when Randy Moss faux-mooned the crowd after scoring the touchdown that ended the Packers playoff run a few years later, and saw them lose twice to the Giants - once in Favre's last ever Packer game (OT loss in NFC Championship game) and again a few years later when Eli Manning outplayed Aaron Rodgers and ended the season at Lambeau for the 15-1 Packers.  The feeling of confidence we would like and expect to have as a #2 seed hosting a home divisional game is completely absent for me this season.  If I had to set a line, I'm pretty sure I would make the Packers an underdog at home, although admittedly I've seen very little of the Seahawks this season.  Expectations are very low in my neck of the woods.  Still a great thing to be back in the playoffs and have a home game.  I'm grilling a batch of wings and taking them to my neighbor's house Sunday evening.  GoPack

 

Agree that I have yet to feel this year that this team is a sure thing in any game. They have yet to have a complete game and they have had numerous communication breakdowns leading to huge plays by the opposition.  They have, however, been resilient and they do have talent.  I am hopeful they will have enough against Seattle as that team is currently constituted.  Seattle has not had a terrific year either, but Wilson to Metcalf certainly has my attention. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Home field favors the Packers, and its true the Seahawks are on something like an 8 straight run of losses at Lambeau.  That said, for all its tradition and splendor, Lambeau Field has not been a significant home-field advantage for the Packers in the playoffs in recent years.  It was an absolute fortress for a decade or longer, but those days are long gone.  I was at the very first Packers home playoff loss in the team's history, a snowy night about 15 or so years ago when Michael Vick ran wild at Lambeau.  I was in the end zone seats when Randy Moss faux-mooned the crowd after scoring the touchdown that ended the Packers playoff run a few years later, and saw them lose twice to the Giants - once in Favre's last ever Packer game (OT loss in NFC Championship game) and again a few years later when Eli Manning outplayed Aaron Rodgers and ended the season at Lambeau for the 15-1 Packers.  The feeling of confidence we would like and expect to have as a #2 seed hosting a home divisional game is completely absent for me this season.  If I had to set a line, I'm pretty sure I would make the Packers an underdog at home, although admittedly I've seen very little of the Seahawks this season.  Expectations are very low in my neck of the woods.  Still a great thing to be back in the playoffs and have a home game.  I'm grilling a batch of wings and taking them to my neighbor's house Sunday evening.  GoPack

 

Much like McCarthy, things got very stale and complacent in the stands. Same music from 2001. Lots of "Sit down" when the defense is facing a 3rd and 5. That kind of thing.

However this season they have done a few things differently.They tried the dumb foghorn thing during preseason that I believe they punted after all the negative feedback. They tried tried the blinking lights after a TD that has seemed to stick. Just a few little things to change the experience. In their pressers, LaFleur and Rodgers have both expressed a desire to have the crowd be loud throughout the season that I think has resonated. IIRC, one week Rodgers even told the fans to drink a lot of Coors. I haven't been there this year, but the people I've talked to say there is a new "vibe" in the stands. 

Not saying the crowd is going to be a factor but part of that former "mystique" was the loud crowd of the 90's that just wanted to win. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Packers wins: Bears x 2, Vikings x 2, Broncos, Cowboys, Lions x 2, Raiders, CHIEFS, Panthers, Giants, Redskins

So a solid 2 wins against the Vikings and a win against a Matt Moore led Chiefs.

Losses: Chargers, Niners, Eagles. The Niners trounced them but every team has a ####ty game and it just so happened the packers had it against one of the leagues best.

Seahawks wins: Bengals, Steelers, Cards, Rams, Browns, Falcons, Bucs, Niners, Eagles x 2, Vikings, Panthers,

Losses: Saints, Ravens, Rams, Cards, Niners. Ravens kicked their ### but the niner loss could have been a win if not for some strange #### at the end of that game.

 

I'd argue that the Seahawks had a slightly tougher strength of schedule but not by much as the AFC North was poor - the Ravens. Being on the road won't matter since 4 of their losses were at home as it was. This is the one game that I'm heading to Vegas with a slight bit of confidence with a Seattle moneyline and the under but every year my most confident game has lost so :shrug: :wall: 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to rain on their parades, but these 2 teams were probably the 2 luckiest teams in terms of w-l above expectations and probably don't have a great shot at SF next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IHEARTFF said:

Not to rain on their parades, but these 2 teams were probably the 2 luckiest teams in terms of w-l above expectations and probably don't have a great shot at SF next week.

Probably not.  Then again that is next week and a lot can happen in a week.  Crazy bounces, near misses, unexpected drops, turnovers, untimely penalties, miscalled plays, trap games, injury.  Worried about this week, this week.  I'll worry or wonder about next week if there is a next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks like snow on Saturday but just cool and clear on Sunday.  Of course what we consider cool the Seahawks may consider frigid.   I would love a snow game but it looks like the timing is a bit off.

 

I hope the travel staff for the Seahawks forgets Pete Carroll's thermal wear and gum.  I want him having to run to a Walmart right before the game.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, coyote5 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/

I just took a look at the past 25 years.  No 13-3 team had a worse expected W-L than this year's Packers at 9.7 - 6.3.   not sure how valuable or meaningful that particular stat is but it reinforces what I was thinking earlier which is that this team really felt like a 9-7, 10-6 type team.

I think the 13-3 '99 Colts had an expected W total of 10.2 and that's the closest to the Packers 9.7.  All the other teams were high 10s or greater.  I got bored and didn't go beyond the 25 years lol.

They did the math!

The Green Bay Packers end up the second-worst 13-3 team ever according to Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings, trailing only the 1999 Colts. You can find the list of the worst 13-3 teams here in this tweet.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Looks like snow on Saturday but just cool and clear on Sunday.  Of course what we consider cool the Seahawks may consider frigid.   I would love a snow game but it looks like the timing is a bit off.

 

I hope the travel staff for the Seahawks forgets Pete Carroll's thermal wear and gum.  I want him having to run to a Walmart right before the game.

he doesnt need warm gear. he does enough jumping around on the sideline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

They did the math!

The Green Bay Packers end up the second-worst 13-3 team ever according to Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings, trailing only the 1999 Colts. You can find the list of the worst 13-3 teams here in this tweet.

 

Nice find :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IHEARTFF said:

Not to rain on their parades, but these 2 teams were probably the 2 luckiest teams in terms of w-l above expectations and probably don't have a great shot at SF next week.

other than the fact that the Seahawks beat the Niners in San Francisco and was a yard short from beating them the last week of the season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, IHEARTFF said:

Not to rain on their parades, but these 2 teams were probably the 2 luckiest teams in terms of w-l above expectations and probably don't have a great shot at SF next week.

Riposte

1 hour ago, CGRdrJoe said:

other than the fact that the Seahawks beat the Niners in San Francisco and was a yard short from beating them the last week of the season.

Parry

Should be a close game. Love @Chicago Hooligan and @coyote5finding the dirt on the 13-3 teams. Seemed to me the Packers were less than that, but that's anecdotal and from memory, which is not omniscient, omnipresent, or omni(something). Oh yeah, omnipotence. I can't influence the game. Maybe if I took Hims or something. 

Seattle is really, really banged up. I think it's a toss-up. gllll peace. 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

Yeah I knew the Packers over-performed, but Seattle did as well. They were 10-2 in 1 possession games, best in the league. That is not a sustainable quality. I wasn't thinking about their specific match-ups with SF when I wrote that, so fair riposte, indeed.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/746950/seahawks-packers-1-score-games/?

I thought you both made fair and quality points so included you both. Seattle, it seems, especially as banged up as they are, would be carrying overperformance on their shoulders into SF, where I think either of these teams starts anywhere from equal to or greater than +3.5. 

I got my terms wrong anyway. See what happens when you play too smart for your own good. Gorrected up top.

 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, coyote5 said:

The Packers offense was (to be charitable) uneven this year.  This is probably one of the worst 13-3 teams I've ever seen.  At least, that's how it feels.

agreed. should be interested to watch. can see it going a number of ways, but most likely finishes as all other Seattle games do, Wilson pulling lightning out of his #### late in the 4th Q for the win. Seattle is battle tested, they grind like no other team I've ever seen. 

I'm not so sure the GB defense is up to the task in this game. it's going to be hard to cover Metcalf and Co. , and keep Beastmode under wraps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I invested heavily in the Packers in my two playoff leagues, based on value, so I'm pulling for them.......could go either way, especially with Russ vs. Rodgers....both teams wanna run, but both teams have great QB's......with the rest and home field, I'll take the Packers by a FG

Edited by Manster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tanner9919 said:

agreed. should be interested to watch. can see it going a number of ways, but most likely finishes as all other Seattle games do, Wilson pulling lightning out of his #### late in the 4th Q for the win. Seattle is battle tested, they grind like no other team I've ever seen. 

I'm not so sure the GB defense is up to the task in this game. it's going to be hard to cover Metcalf and Co. , and keep Beastmode under wraps.

 

:lmao:  Dude.  Lynch is the least of the Packers worries.  Guy looks slow as ####.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tanner9919 said:

agreed. should be interested to watch. can see it going a number of ways, but most likely finishes as all other Seattle games do, Wilson pulling lightning out of his #### late in the 4th Q for the win. Seattle is battle tested, they grind like no other team I've ever seen. 

I'm not so sure the GB defense is up to the task in this game. it's going to be hard to cover Metcalf and Co. , and keep Beastmode under wraps.

 

The ONLY thing the Hawks have, that GB needs to be concerned about.....and it's a big thing.....is Russ.....that guy pulls stuff out his rear like it's no big deal.......the opposing QB has been to known to do that as well.  Even though the Packers have looked kind of blah on offense so far, I'm looking for Rodgers, with his experience, and confidence, to calm his team, and lead them to a good performance.....honestly, this might be the best game of the weekend.

Edited by Manster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Packers have put out a request for shovelers on Sunday morning (https://www.packers.com/news/shovelers-needed-at-lambeau-field-sunday-morning).  700 shovelers are needed at 6:00 a.m., $12/hr.  They should be able to finish up in time for 10 a.m. mass, then get home for a nap before the pre-gaming festivities begin.  It still seems highly unlikely weather will be a factor at kickoff Sunday evening - probably low 20s / upper teens, a bit windy, maybe a bit of snow. Most likely nothing that will affect the gameplan for either team.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 9:08 PM, IHEARTFF said:

Not to rain on their parades, but these 2 teams were probably the 2 luckiest teams in terms of w-l above expectations and probably don't have a great shot at SF next week.

I dont think either of these teams will be playing in SF next week. 😎

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, coyote5 said:

:lmao:  Dude.  Lynch is the least of the Packers worries.  Guy looks slow as ####.

This 

A lot of hyperbole around Lynch since his come back. He made a nice power run for the first TD against Philly, but overall, hasn’t been very effective.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hawks D is very mediocre they have solid linebackers, 2 or so defensive lineman and Diggs in the secondary that can make a play. 

Russ is the only legit running threat. O-Line is missing the left tackle and a starting guard. They got Russ and 2 good WR's that's about it for the offense. 

Would be shocked if the Pack doesn't win this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overtime game, but the Packers pull it out.  Final score 24-23

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Overtime game, but the Packers pull it out.  Final score 24-23

:lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheWinz said:

Overtime game, but the Packers pull it out.  Final score 24-23

Can we get a breakdown on how you see that playing out?

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.