Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

Steelers sign TE Eric Ebron, 2 years, $12 million

I like it and how on earth can the Bears justify paying Graham 2 for $16M?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Steelers sign TE Eric Ebron, 2 years, $12 million

He'll help if he can stay healthy. Dude misses a lot of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are they at cap wise now?

Would love for them to make a play for Phillip Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, geneyus said:

He'll help if he can stay healthy. Dude misses a lot of games.

He played at least 13 games for his first 6 years.  Played 11 last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geneyus said:

He'll help if he can stay healthy. Dude misses a lot of games.

 

2 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

He played at least 13 games for his first 6 years.  Played 11 last year.

As BigSteel pointed out he does miss a lot of games but he has what I'd call Jeremy Maclin disease. He'll roll around on the ground  several times a year and you'll think you've lost him for weeks if not the season and he'll be back in the lineup a few plays later. He's not much fun to own in that regard.

As for the 11 games he played last year that is what effectively ended his Colts career. They thought he had an injury he could have continued to play through, but Ebron elected to have surgery. From what I've read from multiple outlets the Colts were were through the roof po'ed at him, that severed the relationship, and they felt that Ebron was abandoning the team to get himself healthy for FA. On one hand I can't say I blame Ebron, but on the other hand I think he's got a bad rep with some in the league and it might have actually backfired in terms of him maximizing his deal.

Either way I'm glad the Steelers for him for what they did. Last year was an asterick with that horrendous QB play so we never had to focus on the 15 TD's we lost with AB, he'll help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, menobrown said:

 

As BigSteel pointed out he does miss a lot of games but he has what I'd call Jeremy Maclin disease. He'll roll around on the ground  several times a year and you'll think you've lost him for weeks if not the season and he'll be back in the lineup a few plays later. He's not much fun to own in that regard.

As for the 11 games he played last year that is what effectively ended his Colts career. They thought he had an injury he could have continued to play through, but Ebron elected to have surgery. From what I've read from multiple outlets the Colts were were through the roof po'ed at him, that severed the relationship, and they felt that Ebron was abandoning the team to get himself healthy for FA. On one hand I can't say I blame Ebron, but on the other hand I think he's got a bad rep with some in the league and it might have actually backfired in terms of him maximizing his deal.

Either way I'm glad the Steelers for him for what they did. Last year was an asterick with that horrendous QB play so we never had to focus on the 15 TD's we lost with AB, he'll help.

Awwww that's what it was. I remember reading about that now. I also remember thinking I can't really take anything the Colts organization says about the health of a player seriously. Which means it's a he said she said thing but if he rubbed them wrong I'm sure it gets around the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 4:34 PM, Godsbrother said:

No offseason buzz thus far.  Dionte had a nice rookie season with sub-par QB play.   If Ben comes back from his injury I think Johnson has a good chance to have a breakout season. 

Just saw report he is working out and practicing with Whole Lotta Money Mr. Big Chest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 5:29 PM, BigSteelThrill said:

Heard a radio report and Ndamukong Suh's agent had contact with Pittsburgh.

I think Suh's agent is talking to everybody

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Choke said:

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert says team is done with Free Agency and is focused on the draft.

Thus ending my dream of getting Jameis on a one year discount price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 2:44 PM, geneyus said:

He'll help if he can stay healthy. Dude misses a lot of games.

Hands of stone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Hands of stone

Meh, he has drops and a probably always will, also catches a lot of them as well and some really difficult catches. Drops are not an official stat and you'll see different numbers given but some people have Gallup leading the league with a whopping 10+, multiple sites have Edelman leading the league. 

He's a TE like we've not have in awhile, can create legit mismatches, has a 13 TD season on his resume when the highest pass receiving TD total on this team is 7. I mean it's not like teams are going to leave him open hoping he drops it and like I said he catches plenty as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, menobrown said:

Thus ending my dream of getting Jameis on a one year discount price.

One year? I was hoping they'd give him on a contract between Mariota and Bridgewater, 3 years $34-38 mil. That way, if Ben goes down we have a great 2nd QB, and when Ben leaves in 1-2 years we have a great young QB to start without using 1st round pick flyers. He's only signing to be a backup at this point, and we could make the deal work if we backloaded it. I know he's thrown a crapload of picks, but I really think part of that was his poor eyesight and refusal to wear glasses (ok, so maybe he's an idiot). He got eye surgery to correct his vision, and I think he will end up being a top 10 QB if matched with a solid coaching staff, which we have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

One year? I was hoping they'd give him on a contract between Mariota and Bridgewater, 3 years $34-38 mil.

For sure a Mariotta deal would have been incredible but I'm trying not to be greeedy. Just figured if we could get him in the building for a year,  I think he'd like Tomlin and then depending on year goes with Ben we could reassess.

On the interceptions it could be the glasses, maybe it's just his nature. But here is where I kind of feel for the kid. Prior to last year his interception ration was high but was lower then Brett Favres career. So a problem for sure,  but not as bad as it would get. He gets aligned with a coach who keeps encouraging him to be aggressive, throws a career high picks and then gets thrown to the curb.

I'm sill going to hold out hope despite what Colbert said,  hope is free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

How could they fit him under the 2020 cap?

One of reasons I thought it would be difficult but I think we got about $10M, our draft picks won't take up much cap space, Mariotta got signed for $7.5M and Winston is running low on options.  Not easy but doable but takes two sides to want to work it out and I've seen no evidence that either side is interested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelers still need a vet backup at safety. 
 

not sure how I feel about drafting a rb early, although I would be ok if it were Dobbins or Taylor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With not a lot going on, I have been running some mocks at https://www.profootballnetwork.com/. I like this site because you can make trades. Not a big college football fan so don’t know a lot of these players but it is something fun to do.

this has been my favorite mock so far....not sure if it is realistic though

 

  • 51.Cesar Ruiz, C Michigan
  • 102.Terrell Burgess, S  Utah
  • 124 Davon Hamilton, DT  Ohio State
  • 135.K.J. Hill, WR  Ohio State
  • 198 Alex Taylor, OT  SC State
  • 231 Dalton Keene, TE  VA Tech
  • 232 Sage Lewis, ILB FIU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:
  • 2    Tee Higgins - WR Clemson
  • 3    James Lynch - DT Baylor
  • 4    Darrynton Evans - RB App State
  • 4    Netane Muti - G Fresno State
  • 6    Michael Warren II - RB Cincinnati
  • 7    Carter Coughlin - OLB Minnesota

My shot.

 

Best available with Tee Higgins.  *Wanted a SS prospect in draft, but it never materialized.  Lynch posted 12.5 sacks as a 6'4 #285 DT, could provide depth across entire DL. Darrynton was second fastest RB at combine with a nice history of production, including as a kick returner. And 0 fumbles in 580 touches. Muti is a middle round favorite of mine, road grader who needs refinement. He was disappointed by "only" benching 44 reps. Michael Warren gives size (5'10" 226#) to the RB position that the team seems to covet.  He has very nimble feet with balance. Unlikely to be the same type of bully at this level though. Coughlin should work on special teams while he gets stronger/heavier if he wants to stick in the NFL.

Edited by BigSteelThrill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:
  • 2    Tee Higgins - WR Clemson
  • 3    James Lynch - DT Baylor
  • 4    Darrynton Evans - RB App State
  • 4    Netane Muti - G Fresno State
  • 6    Michael Warren II - RB Cincinnati
  • 7    Carter Coughlin - OLB Minnesota

My shot.

 

Best available with Tee Higgins.  *Wanted a SS prospect in draft, but it never materialized.  Lynch posted 12.5 sacks as a 6'4 #285 DT, could provide depth across entire DL. Darrynton was second fastest RB at combine with a nice history of production, including as a kick returner. And 0 fumbles in 580 touches. Muti is a middle round favorite of mine, road grader who needs refinement. He was disappointed by "only" benching 44 reps. Michael Warren gives size (5'10" 226#) to the RB position that the team seems to covet.  He has very nimble feet with balance. Unlikely to be the same type of bully at this level though. Coughlin should work on special teams while he gets stronger/heavier if he wants to stick in the NFL.

Nice haul.

the more I learn about Lynch and Evans, the more I want the Steelers to draft them. Would love if Ruiz fell to 49 but don’t think that will happen   A top 3 of Ruiz/Lynch/Evans would be a great start IMO
 

 

Edited by JoeSteeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 11:33 PM, BigSteelThrill said:
  • 2    Tee Higgins - WR Clemson
  • 3    James Lynch - DT Baylor
  • 4    Darrynton Evans - RB App State
  • 4    Netane Muti - G Fresno State
  • 6    Michael Warren II - RB Cincinnati
  • 7    Carter Coughlin - OLB Minnesota

My shot.

 

Best available with Tee Higgins.  *Wanted a SS prospect in draft, but it never materialized.  Lynch posted 12.5 sacks as a 6'4 #285 DT, could provide depth across entire DL. Darrynton was second fastest RB at combine with a nice history of production, including as a kick returner. And 0 fumbles in 580 touches. Muti is a middle round favorite of mine, road grader who needs refinement. He was disappointed by "only" benching 44 reps. Michael Warren gives size (5'10" 226#) to the RB position that the team seems to covet.  He has very nimble feet with balance. Unlikely to be the same type of bully at this level though. Coughlin should work on special teams while he gets stronger/heavier if he wants to stick in the NFL.

I'd be surprised, no...shocked, if the Steelers use this much draft capital on the RB position.  

One RB maybe.  Two?  I don't see it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played around a little.  This was the result when I went mostly Best Available after grabbing a QB in rd 2.  Biggest problem with this one is no OL help, but otherwise, I was pretty fond of it.

 

Jacob Eason QB Washington

Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame

A.J. Dillon RB Boston College

Leki Fotu DT Utah

LaDarius Hamilton DE North Texas

Shaquille Quarterman ILB Miami

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No RB, but this one is pretty decent

Tee Higgins WR Clemson

Jacob Phillips ILB LSU

Terrell Burgess S Utah

Jake Fromm QB Georgia

Khalil Davis DT Nebraska

Trystan Colon-Castillo C Missouri

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About  1 out of every 10 mocks has Grant Delpit available at the Steelers first pick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiper mocked up a QB in round 2.  With Colbert signing a 1-year extension, it's hard to see the Steelers taking a QB that high.  New GMs usually want to pick their own.

Jalen Hurst

I'm down with grabbing a future franchise QB & immediate backup, but how would it play out when a new GM rides his horse down the ol' steel-town road? .  

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Grid71 said:

Kiper mocked up a QB in round 2.  With Colbert signing a 1-year extension, it's hard to see the Steelers taking a QB that high.  New GMs usually want to pick their own.

Jalen Hurst

I'm down with grabbing a future franchise QB & immediate backup, but how would it play out when a new GM rides his horse down the ol' steel-town road? .  

not sure why it says Hurst in the article title, it is Jalen Hurts

 No matter the name, PASS at #49

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would not complain with Hurts in round 2 at all.  They just cannot continue anymore with the trash behind Roeth that they've rolled with since, like, Leftwich .  Ben's still the man, but he's older now and he's likely going to break more readily.  It's almost a given that you're going to need a legit #2 for 2-4 weeks any given year going forward with Ben.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my final mock 

 

Lloyd Cushenberry  49 

Devin Duvernay 102

Alex Highsmith 124

Darrynton Evans 135

K’Von Wallace 198

Khalil Davis 232

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, JoeSteeler said:

How could they fit him under the 2020 cap?

Trade Dupree.

It's not going to happen, just what I'd rather have happened. Really hope I'm proven wrong and Dupree has an amazing year, I just think he lucked into sacks due to Watt's presence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of Cam Akers, so I'm pretty sure that's who we'll take. On the flipside, I love Clyde Edwards-Helaire, so I'm pretty sure he's going to the Ravens...

It would be amazing if we can come out of this draft with 2 players who can rotate in as potential starters. We only have 6 picks, and most of them are in the area of the draft considered to be a crapshoot. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade out of 49, but I have no clue if we'd be moving up or down. With how strange this offseason has been, it's quite possible that a 1st round talent falls to 49, or close to it, and we could make a move if the FO loves someone. 

Idc about QB because it feels like our season will be done if Ben gets hurt, no matter who we got at 49 or later. If I had to choose only 6 positions on the Steelers to shore up it would be (in no particular order):

  • OLB - I like Ola and Skipper, but neither are a guarantee and we need depth. 
  • ILB - I like Ulysees Gilbert III, but not enough for him to be the only depth
  • OT - Unless the FO thinks Chuks is the answer, Villa on final year of contract
  • IOL - Need depth and heir to Pouncey
  • RB - I like James Conner, but he tends to get hurt with aggressive style. Snell and Kerrith Whyte aren't enough. 
  • CB - Haden is getting old and we'll need a replacement soon

Unlike most people, I don't think the Steelers are desperate at WR. I believe in Juju, James and Diontae, and I think that Deon Cain can develop into a very solid WR. He had some flash plays joining mid-season with crap QB play. Also, I think injuries were part of the reason for Juju's poor performance, not just terrible QBs. Also, the 2021 class of WRs is incredible, so if we still feel a great need, there will be new rookies who are able to step up. 

This year's draft is going to be crazy, and the team's not being able to attend pro days and meet in person I think will have a drastic effect on the Group Think within the NFL. Players could fall, or rise, much more than currently projected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

Unlike most people, I don't think the Steelers are desperate at WR. I believe in Juju, James and Diontae, and I think that Deon Cain can develop into a very solid WR. He had some flash plays joining mid-season with crap QB play. Also, I think injuries were part of the reason for Juju's poor performance, not just terrible QBs. Also, the 2021 class of WRs is incredible, so if we still feel a great need, there will be new rookies who are able to step up. 

This year's draft is going to be crazy, and the team's not being able to attend pro days and meet in person I think will have a drastic effect on the Group Think within the NFL. Players could fall, or rise, much more than currently projected. 

I know this is the time of the year with many lies and misinformation generating by GMs and their cronies before NFL Draft.  One of them is the supposedly rumor on JuJu being shopped by Steelers.  If it is true, it makes sense for Steelers to sell him high to get higher pick this year and avoid giving him a higher contract salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

JuJu is I'll cast as a #1 guy. He just can't separate enough against bracket coverage or top man-to-man corners. I wouldn't hate a trade if they got an early pick for him, but I'm not sure they will. I also like the guy a lot, and would miss his presence on the team. 

That and he's still so young. He's the type of guy you build around, even if he is just a very very good #2 instead of #1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would love them to trade back a bit and take Cushenberry or Ezra Cleveland

No thanks to a RB in the 2nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

I'm not convinced that either of those two guys is there at 49.

I also agree with you on RB. With only one pick in the top 100, don't you want a guy that can help you win while Ben is still playing? Are any of those guys going to push Conner aside in year one? I know Conner gets hurt a lot, but they've drafted an RB each of the last three years, they'd have to cut one of them for a rookie. They're not carrying 4 and Derek Watt. 

If they're going to go skill position, I'd rather have Hurts or Eason, or Mims or Pittman. I suspect they're looking pass rush, secondary, or O-line depending upon who falls. I was hoping for Ruiz, but no such luck. 

yeah could be wishful thinking on my part. Would also love Mims, not sure about Pittman. Was hoping for Ruiz as well but figured that was a pipe dream

Not looking for a QB or RB. I would like OL or DL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players I'd be happy with at 49 (no particular order, list based off Daniel Jeremiah's best available):

  • D'Andre Swift
  • Jonathan Taylor
  • Ross Blacklock
  • Xavier McKinney
  • AJ Epenesa
  • Tee Higgins
  • Denzel Mims
  • Yetur Gross-Matos
  • Zack Baun
  • Laviska Shenault
  • Grant Delpit
  • Lloyd Cushenberry
  • Trevon Diggs
  • Antoine Winfield Jr
  • Jaylon Johnson

One of these guys will be available, and while I definitely like some over others, I think they're all solid and could help the team win this year. Also, I don't think that Edmunds deserves a starting role, that's why there's a handful of safeties on the list...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ray McKigney said:

I'm torn on him. He could be an absolute game changer in the slot with his speed if they want to move JuJu back outside (and in the return game) but he's tiny, drops the ball a lot, and isn't a great route runner. Major boom/bust with him. I wouldn't cry if they took him, I'd just hope he pans out. His speed will play and he's one of a handful of guys that could impact the team one way it another from week 1.

Is this Diontae Johnson's scouting report?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BPA gets my vote other than sub 6'2" WR.  Ben has asked for tall WR for years or I'd rule it out in round 2.

Most exciting to me is backup QB.  It's a glaring need not addressed through FA. Could be the Steelers are considering Eason, Fromm or Hurts.  Any one of these would make a veteran backup irrelevant. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

QB doesn't (hopefully) fit a win-now mindset,

It doesn't?  If they had a halfway legit #2 a year ago they make the playoffs easy.
 

 

1 hour ago, Grid71 said:

Most exciting to me is backup QB.  It's a glaring need not addressed through FA. Could be the Steelers are considering Eason, Fromm or Hurts.  Any one of these would make a veteran backup irrelevant. 

 

I don't know if I'd classify it as "most exciting" to me, but I wouldn't hate them taking a QB.  Eason and Fromm don't do much for me, but Hurts....it sure looks like there's something there with him to me.   Incredible athlete, but can still make the throws you need.   Yeah, he has some things he'll need to improve upon, but all he's ever done is win.  Allegedly good leadership qualities, etc, etc.   

Prefer it if they could delay until round 3, but if they did it at 49 I'm not going to crucify them for it.  Massive black hole at quarterback behind #7 on this roster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mims would be good as well 

maybe they can trade back a couple spots?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A WR is good as long as Ben is healthy.  If not then yeah not so happy.   The receivers currently on this team definitely need to step up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

A WR is good as long as Ben is healthy.  If not then yeah not so happy.   The receivers currently on this team definitely need to step up

Yep, ben goes down and it will be groundhog day, 2019 all over again. Thought they might go Cleveland there 

Edited by irish eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.