Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

He is someone with whom they are quite familiar. Not only does Dino Tomlin, the son of Mike Tomlin, play at Maryland as a receiver, new quarterbacks coach Matt Canada was the offensive coordinator there two years ago when McFarland had his best season.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/04/25/steelers-draft-anthony-mcfarland-running-back-fourth-round-fdl/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Seems like a reach at every pick. Claypool has potential and is the big target ben always loves, but man there were some good rbs there. Doesn’t help that Dobbins ends up in Baltimore (who somehow have 100 picks?). 

Read McFarland is a headcase. Not sure that a small rb works in Pittsburgh either.

And the olineman wasn’t even invited to the combine ....

Good comment.  My take is PIT did their homework and locked onto specific players to target that'd likely be there (appear to be a reach) with each pick. Only way they'd veer is getting unexpected value drop into their lap. Opposite of BPA and letting the players fall to them. 

Knowing the team is high on McFarland & also considered a reach early 4th made it easier for them to pass on Dobbins. Taking Dobbins would have looked good, but then they'd miss out on the guy the team is comfortable with to replace Bud Dupree next season.  

29 minutes ago, Grid71 said:

Good comment.  My take is PIT did their homework and locked onto specific players to target that'd likely be there (appear to be a reach) with each pick. Only way they'd veer is getting unexpected value drop into their lap. Opposite of BPA and letting the players fall to them. 

Knowing the team is high on McFarland & also considered a reach early 4th made it easier for them to pass on Dobbins. Taking Dobbins would have looked good, but then they'd miss out on the guy the team is comfortable with to replace Bud Dupree next season.  

All true. I trust the process. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Not to speak for DC, but I think people thought Highsmith would have been there in the 4th

Or 6th

Posted (edited)

Anyone you guys would them them to bring in as UDFA.?

would like to see Thaddeus Moss, Anthony Gordon , Benito Jones

damn Jones signed with Miami

Edited by JoeSteeler

Steers Depot:

Steelers’ 2020 Undrafted Free Agents 

Christian Montano/C Tulane 
James Lockhart/OLB Baylor 
Leo Lewis/ILB Mississippi St 
Spencer Nigh/FB Auburn 
James Pierre/CB Florida Atlantic 
Calvin Taylor/DE Kentucky 
Trajan Brandy/CB Miami (FL) 

Will the Steelers have any room to sign another safety or ilb?  Or is Sutton going to head back there when Edmonds is playing the Barron Lb role?

Cam-Tuitt

Watt-Bush-Dupree

Edmonds

Haden-Nelson-Hilton

Fitz-Sutton

Patriots just released S Obi Melifonwu.

Hes been cut twice in 3 years after being drafted in the 2nd by the Raiders in '17.

He just turned 26 and has to be worth an udfa camp spot.  Maybe a players coach could help a little as opposed to just Del Rio and Belichick.

Darn it.

Jaemis Winston said the Steelers made him an offer but he selected the Saints.

Why "darn it"?  Because a 1 year signing that flashes anything as a QB for a game or two gets a much bigger contract in 2021... which could easily earn you a compensatory pick the following year.  Paying 5 million for good shot at a 4th round pick is a no brainer.  That rookie gives you back 4 years at 800k each.

8 hours ago, Endowed said:

Darn it.

Jaemis Winston said the Steelers made him an offer but he selected the Saints.

Why "darn it"?  Because a 1 year signing that flashes anything as a QB for a game or two gets a much bigger contract in 2021... which could easily earn you a compensatory pick the following year.  Paying 5 million for good shot at a 4th round pick is a no brainer.  That rookie gives you back 4 years at 800k each.

Interesting, as Colbert denies making an offer per CBS Sports .

On 4/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Bets on first Dalton to NE thread starting?

Dalton to Cowboys. 

My initial reaction to the draft was disappointment, but it has grown on me over time. It's basically an all-upside draft, but with a large amount of risk. Our first two selections are a freak athlete WR, and a pass rusher who has huge upside potential. Later we grabbed a RB who, when healthy, has the ability to dominate top competition (see Ohio St game). Then we grabbed the top Run Blocking IOL and the top Run Stopping Safety (according to PFF). Also, we got Carlos Davis, we needed a big guy, and he's a big guy. 

Like every draft, we won't know how this pans out for 3-5 years, but I'm feeling ok about it. I didn't really love any of the QBs that would have been in our range, and I think that we need to be win-now while Ben is around. Claypool was not in my top 10 WRs, but the Steelers have been great at picking them, so I'll trust the process (until I can say "I told you so!"). 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:42 PM, steelers1080 said:

My initial reaction to the draft was disappointment, but it has grown on me over time. It's basically an all-upside draft, but with a large amount of risk. Our first two selections are a freak athlete WR, and a pass rusher who has huge upside potential. Later we grabbed a RB who, when healthy, has the ability to dominate top competition (see Ohio St game). Then we grabbed the top Run Blocking IOL and the top Run Stopping Safety (according to PFF). Also, we got Carlos Davis, we needed a big guy, and he's a big guy. 

Like every draft, we won't know how this pans out for 3-5 years, but I'm feeling ok about it. I didn't really love any of the QBs that would have been in our range, and I think that we need to be win-now while Ben is around. Claypool was not in my top 10 WRs, but the Steelers have been great at picking them, so I'll trust the process (until I can say "I told you so!"). 

Good points. FO did their homework especially well this year.  Time will tell.

Claypool is a devastating and eager blocker as a WR.  After he gets up to speed, lining up Claypool and Dionte on the outside with JuJu in the slot inspires hope.

Also, I haven't seen too much of it here, but the hate for Juju in the media seems way overblown. Juju will be 24 by the end of the season and has already put up some prolific stats, he had a down year hampered by injury, but I still think he's a building block for our team and think it would be a major mistake to let him walk after this season. I get that there's only so much money to go around, but I think it's worth it to keep him. 

• Like 1

What's everyone's take on Steelers' overall defense this year?  Last year's trade acquisition on Minkah Fitzpatrick was a huge revelation to their defense and this was accomplished without knowing their entire defensive playbook.  And they didnt have many draft picks this year yet they manged to pick up a few new young rookies. So, what's your expectation of their overall defense this year? 

Rookies shouldn't contribute much on D this year.  Results depend upon health.  After Ben went down and Minkah joined the team, it's like the D grew some teeth.  Even in a loss, I was excited watching the D play.  Such a waste of a superbowl worthy defensive season.  Gotta keep the band together. 

Speaking of James Harrison,  If he thinks this "envelope" story involving him, Tomlin, and that brutal hit he delivered against the Browns many years ago is doing the team any favors then he is extremely delusional.    

Much to be exited about for the passing game in 2020. Receiver "virtual" room is under rated and deep with 5 starting caliber young men.  Assuming we keep JuJu in the fold for a 2nd contract, could be Ben's last core group. 

23 JuJu

23 Diontae

21 Claypool

24 Washington

23 Cain

25 (old man) Switzer

Red Zone size matters?   Ben has only thrown passes to 2 of his six tallest (6'+) TE and WR.  

6'8" Zach too tall Gentry - ok maybe he shouldn't be on the list cuz he can't catch, but this guy is a mountain

6'4" Ebron - my pick to lead the team in red zone TD receptions

6'4" McDonald

6'4" Claypool

6'2" Deon Cain - might have long arms too ;) 

6'1" JuJu

5'11" Washington

5'10" Diontae

5'8" Switzer - vegas has him at a billion to two dollars for leading the steelers in red zone TDs.  Save your two dollars for the powerball.