What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

47% of people prefer pulp in their OJ (1 Viewer)

I think it tastes better but i hate other stuff with weird texture so i won't argue with anyone who hates it.  

Skyline chili on the other hand is an abomination. 

The biggest difference in orange juice taste is if it is fresh-squeezed or pasteurized and how it was pasteurized.  Fresh squeezed is obviously the most tasty and healthy, but it has a very short shelf life of less than 5 days.  Most orange juice on the market is heat pasteurized which destroys the taste.  The best compromise is the high pressure process (HPP) pasteurization or sometimes called cold pasteurization.  It kills most bacteria and extends the shelf life to beyond 30 days and maintains most the flavor of fresh squeezed.  It is harder to find and a couple dollars more expensive for a quart than the standard heat pasteurized stuff, but I really don't care for the standard process juice whether it has pulp or not.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange juice wasn’t always the iconic beverage we know and love, dotting the breakfast tables of families across America. Sure, it’s sweet, delicious, and nutritious (minus all the sugar), but those qualities alone don’t sell a ####load of oranges. Great marketing does. That’s what it took to put OJ on the map, and in people’s refrigerators. In fact, one particular campaign propelled orange juice from a fruit byproduct to an American staple (and the second-most popular morning beverage in the country after coffee).

In the early 1900s, drinking orange juice was virtually unheard of. As copywriter Cole Shafer put it, “Recommending a cold glass of orange juice along with a plate of greasy eggs and bacon would have been like asking someone if they wanted a tablespoon of mustard in their coffee.” The problem was that oranges were a big deal - for the dudes who grew and sold them. Most notably, the Southern California Fruit Growers Association, was lacking demand but overwhelmed with supply. To increase sales they partnered with Lord & Thomas ad agency and rebranded as Sunkist Growers, still alive and kicking 125 years later.

In 1916, Alan Lasker (CEO of Lord & Thomas and America’s first 'Mad Man') came up with a brilliant idea: Sell more oranges by empowering customers to juice them. He realized that the average consumption per serving was normally half an orange, but if customers made their own juice that number would jump to two or three oranges. The best part was that Sunkist wasn’t just going to convince the public to juice oranges. They were going to sell them the tool they needed to do it. To spread the word, Lasker launched the “Drink an Orange” campaign in The Saturday Evening Post. It advertised a Sunkist-branded juice extractor along with a bundle of oranges. The campaign even included a promotional deal. Since Sunkist oranges were individually wrapped, the brand offered discounted juicers to people who saved their orange wrappers. The ads also convinced people that orange juice was a healthy way to start their day – a claim that has since been debunked.

Anyway, pulp or no pulp, you've all been fooled and marketing wins again. Enjoy your fruit byproduct and pre-diabetes :lol:

I really don't care for OJ. Or any juice. Or really any beverage other than beer, water, coffee, and whiskey.

But back when I did drink it, I liked pulp. It was a nice reminder that a few years prior, before it was processed to hell, stored in some silo, then mixed with sugar, it was indeed at one point, an orange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread