What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Passports for flights within the US?? (1 Viewer)

Link?  I don’t see a huge push from the public in slowing down plane travel even more. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use your passport now as proof of identity, but avoid the bulk of customs verification. 

Thanks.  I think the wife needs to renew in April, mine is at the end of the year
If she plans to do any traveling, your wife should already have a new one. You are also at that point. 

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/when-can-i-renew-my-passport.html

Application for a passport renewal should be done approximately nine months prior to the passport's expiration date. There are three reasons for renewing your passport so early.

One, the earlier you apply, the less likely you are to need expedited services. Expediting a passport can be quite expensive. You can avoid these additional costs by starting the process early.

Two, it can take up to three months to process the passport renewal application. Usually, the process is completed in no more than 6-8 weeks but it can take longer, especially during peak travel periods or when new passport requirements are being instituted.

Three, many countries require visa applicants to submit valid passports that have at least six months validity remaining from the time of entry into the country. Applying early for the renewal would insure that your passport met this requirement.

Homeland Security is not going to recognize drivers licenses any more for domestic travel unless they have "REAL ID", which is just a new drivers license showing that you have shown proof of residency and SSN to get it.  If you don't have Real ID, you can use a passport instead.  Keep in mind these rules only apply for domestic travel - you still need a passport to fly overseas.  I think the rule goes into effect in the Fall.   

If she plans to do any traveling, your wife should already have a new one. You are also at that point. 

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/when-can-i-renew-my-passport.html

Application for a passport renewal should be done approximately nine months prior to the passport's expiration date. There are three reasons for renewing your passport so early.

One, the earlier you apply, the less likely you are to need expedited services. Expediting a passport can be quite expensive. You can avoid these additional costs by starting the process early.

Two, it can take up to three months to process the passport renewal application. Usually, the process is completed in no more than 6-8 weeks but it can take longer, especially during peak travel periods or when new passport requirements are being instituted.

Three, many countries require visa applicants to submit valid passports that have at least six months validity remaining from the time of entry into the country. Applying early for the renewal would insure that your passport met this requirement.

Passports are good, I meant updating to the the Real ID drivers license 

You don’t need your passport with you assuming your State has the updates drivers licenses (which I think are required by now).
Pretty sure this is correct. My state has the enhanced Driver's License so I haven't followed this too closely after I got that.

Homeland Security is not going to recognize drivers licenses any more for domestic travel unless they have "REAL ID", which is just a new drivers license showing that you have shown proof of residency and SSN to get it.  If you don't have Real ID, you can use a passport instead.  Keep in mind these rules only apply for domestic travel - you still need a passport to fly overseas.  I think the rule goes into effect in the Fall.   
Sounds correct

You need the "Real ID" driver's license by later this year. If you don't have Real ID, passport can work.
This is going to be a big deal for folks like @ghostguy123 who don't keep up on news. SC sends out an update at least once a quarter to everyone that has a mailbox explaining what is going on, the dates it needs to be done by, where to go, etc. I think it has to be done by end of this year or you won't be able to fly without a passport as a substitute.

I decided to bit the bullet a few months ago even though I just renewed my license last year. Went to the DMV on a Monday, around 10:30am, line was a 2 hr wait. Decided it was because it was the first of the month and went back 2 days later, wait was 2 1/2 hrs. Most all due to the Real ID program. I can't imagine what it's going to look like as the deadline nears.

I just updated mine this summer, make sure you take your passport with you to renew
I renewed mine last year and was confused as to what documentation to bring with me.  Our state's website had a list of acceptable documents but they were in 3 categories and some documents were good for this category, but not this one, some were good for these 2 but not the 3rd, etc.  I brought so many documents that when I got up to the counter and started laying down things the lady was finally like "Sir... SIR! Don't pull anything else out of that folder.  We are good here."

I renewed mine last year and was confused as to what documentation to bring with me.  Our state's website had a list of acceptable documents but they were in 3 categories and some documents were good for this category, but not this one, some were good for these 2 but not the 3rd, etc.  I brought so many documents that when I got up to the counter and started laying down things the lady was finally like "Sir... SIR! Don't pull anything else out of that folder.  We are good here."
Dude, I did the exact same thing. Brought everything but a blood sample and was willing to go there if requested. Turns out I needed a certified copy of my birth certificate and that was pretty much it.

You're right though, the explination for what you need to bring on SC's website was confusing.

In NC, it’s already required. I think different states (maybe even airports) had different deadlines but some already require it otherwise you use your Passport. My normal one was expiring in the summer of 2018 so I got my Real ID one then, same with my wife last spring. I remember that she had to use her Passport before she got renewed.

This is the silent one that can get you.  When I made my trip to Germany in 2017 I renewed my passport because it was due to expire 3 months after I would have gotten back, and I think the EU required you have 90 days room on your passport.  I would have gotten back with 95, but renewed to be safe.

Of course, when my appendix exploded over there and I spent a week in the hospital, when I did finally leave, I was under the 90 days.  That could have been a problem.
My wife's passport expired the same as mine, but she wasn't going on the trip.  Fortunately she renewed hers at the same time, and when she had to make the emergency trip over, there wasn't a problem.

This is going to be a big deal for folks like @ghostguy123 who don't keep up on news. SC sends out an update at least once a quarter to everyone that has a mailbox explaining what is going on, the dates it needs to be done by, where to go, etc. I think it has to be done by end of this year or you won't be able to fly without a passport as a substitute.

I decided to bit the bullet a few months ago even though I just renewed my license last year. Went to the DMV on a Monday, around 10:30am, line was a 2 hr wait. Decided it was because it was the first of the month and went back 2 days later, wait was 2 1/2 hrs. Most all due to the Real ID program. I can't imagine what it's going to look like as the deadline nears.
This is why I think I will wait until after the deadline.  I'll use my passport as needed and wait for the crowds to go down.

I am sure the first three dic pix were sufficient. 

Yes.

Enhanced driver's licenses can get you in and out of Canada (by land).
Unless things have changed, that may not be true for everyone?

Americans with an Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) or Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) from Washington State, Minnesota, South Dakota, Michigan, New York, or Vermont are allowed to travel to Canada without a Passport. Enhanced Driver's Licenses are only valid for land and marine crossings, however, so you will not be able to fly to Canada with one.

https://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/enhanced-drivers-license.php

Just make an appointment.  Then you don't have to wait in line.  It won't be immediate but it cuts the time down drastically. 

Looks like every US state except for Oregon, Oklahoma, and New Jersey are now Real ID compliant.  If you don't know if your license is or isn't a Real ID, look at the top right corner of it.  It should have a yellow or black star on it.  See here for details: 

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-frequently-asked-questions
Washington's regular driver's licenses are not compliant, but enhanced are.   Apparently Washington is the only state with no intention of becoming compliant.

My daughter just got her temps the other day.  She was not able to get the Real ID because my wife didnt take proof of residency, like a bill or whatever.

Seems silly to have needed that since it's in her LICENSE.  Oh well

Seems like you need more documentation for a real ID than you do for a passport. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm just a prole*. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FBG26 said:

Seems like you need more documentation for a real ID than you do for a passport. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm just a prole*.

Passport requires birth certificate + government ID.

Real ID requires birth certificate + documents showing residency and SS# (which may or may not be the same document)

State may be compliant on any present IDs (past year or two) but that doesn't mean that a lot of people aren't going to need to update to the Real ID.

October is the deadline from what I understand and since licenses don't expire for 5 years in some places, there are going to be a lot of people that will need to update.

State may be compliant on any present IDs (past year or two) but that doesn't mean that a lot of people aren't going to need to update to the Real ID.

October is the deadline from what I understand and since licenses don't expire for 5 years in some places, there are going to be a lot of people that will need to update.
I think an AZ driver's license is good until you are 65, and a person only needs to get a new photo every 10 (ok, I just looked it up, it's 12) years. Lots of Arizonians that will need to update their DLs to fly. 

Signs have been in airports for 3 years, and there are large public information campaigns to make people aware. There will be even more leading up to the deadline. Anyone caught unaware is due to their own fault. 
Doesnt change the fact that a significant percentage of people will be unaware.

Some people only fly once every few years.

Also not sure of these "large public campaigns".  I have not seen one thing.  I just happen to hear my wife talking about it on the phone with someone.

ghostguy123 said:
There are going to be soooooo many ticked off people who cant get on their planes for their vacations.  
Zero way the deadline doesn't get extended at least another year. 

This situation is causing day long lines at the Texas DMVs.  Anecdotal reports of people arriving at 7am and being unable to get their ID done by 5pm.  It's a complete ####show.  

Also putting a huge amount of pressure on registrars because you need a legit copy of a birth certificate.  

Users who are viewing this thread