What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Resume Question (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
I'm anticipating graduating from an MBA program in late 2021, possibly early 2022...

Would you add the degree to your resume and notate anticipated graduation date of xyz? 

I spoke to a recruiter and they said I was too far in front of it to notate it. They also said it could scare employers knowing I'm taking on a heavy workload outside of the job. 
Are you looking to change jobs right now?  Won't you be in a better position once you've completed (or are near the end of) the MBA?  A new employer might want you to take more specialized training or pick up a more focused certificate instead of a general MBA.  Also, an employer would rightfully worry that you'll be looking for a new opportunity once the MBA is completed.  If you're job hunting while just getting started on an MBA, that seems rather bass-ackwards to me.

Are you looking to change jobs right now?  Won't you be in a better position once you've completed (or are near the end of) the MBA?  A new employer might want you to take more specialized training or pick up a more focused certificate instead of a general MBA.  Also, an employer would rightfully worry that you'll be looking for a new opportunity once the MBA is completed.  If you're job hunting while just getting started on an MBA, that seems rather bass-ackwards to me.
Unless you absolutely need a new job right now, what tri said. Even then, I wouldn't mention the MBA

I started very passively looking. If something that really excites me comes up, I'll send out a resume, which I need to update anyways. 

I did.  Was offered the job.  

When I brought it up in the interview as an answer to one of their questions, you would think they hadn't even read my whole resume.

I turned down the offer.

I spoke to a recruiter and they said I was too far in front of it to notate it. They also said it could scare employers knowing I'm taking on a heavy workload outside of the job. 
Interesting - I imagine if you ask several recruiters, they may give you different answers. I would think going for your MBA in addition to working could be a positive attribute to demonstrate multi-tasking ability and dedication to learning.

Interesting - I imagine if you ask several recruiters, they may give you different answers. I would think going for your MBA in addition to working could be a positive attribute to demonstrate multi-tasking ability and dedication to learning.
That was my thinking.

I started very passively looking. If something that really excites me comes up, I'll send out a resume, which I need to update anyways. 
I’d leave the anticipated MBA off. It’s not going to be the reason why they would bring you in for an interview but could definitely be the reason they don’t bring you in for the reasons that have been mentioned. If you want to use it as a selling point for your candidacy, better to bring it up in person where you can explain why your eventual degree wouldn’t prompt you leaving the role you’re interviewing for.

Only possible exception would be if the job that excites you has a portion of its responsibilities covered under the area of your eventual degree.

This.

I want people working for me that are constantly improving their skills and continued learning.  Getting your MBA while working shows dedication to self-growth which is an attribute that many employers would love to have.

I'm anticipating graduating from an MBA program in late 2021, possibly early 2022...

Would you add the degree to your resume and notate anticipated graduation date of xyz? 
Have you started the program?

Until then, no.

Exception: if you're applying for a pre-MBA internship, that's when you can start to add it - it becomes obvious because it's called a pre-MBA internship for a reason.

Source: am resume grader with my firm, and also went through this when I did my MBA. 

Have you started the program?

Until then, no.

Exception: if you're applying for a pre-MBA internship, that's when you can start to add it - it becomes obvious because it's called a pre-MBA internship for a reason.

Source: am resume grader with my firm, and also went through this when I did my MBA. 
I'm about 1/3 of the way through. 

Users who are viewing this thread