What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McMillions - HBO (4 Viewers)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
LINK

I remember this story. I believe the news broke a little before 9/11 and just disappeared because of it. But I had always wondered what happened. Was talking to my wife about it and she never heard of it so I looked it up and found out the documentary premieres February 3rd. So excited for this. 

LINK

I remember this story. I believe the news broke a little before 9/11 and just disappeared because of it. But I had always wondered what happened. Was talking to my wife about it and she never heard of it so I looked it up and found out the documentary premieres February 3rd. So excited for this. 
I thought there was already a doc about this?

Just got to watch the first episode.  Was really good.  Checked and it's 6 episodes long.  Looks amazing.  Was stunned to see the investigation STARTED in 2001 because, as I said in the OP, I believe the news broke of the findings just a couple of days before 9/11.  I'd look it up at this point, but I feel like that might be a small spoiler alert to myself.  At this point, I figure I'll just find out from the show.

Also, like Chernobyl, there's a companion podcast for it.  I haven't listened to it yet, but I have the episodes downloaded.  From being sick and on vacation last week, I'm WAY behind on my podcasts.  

Absolutely fascinating story but it seems like they answered all my questions already. We know who ran the cheating ring and we know all the family members involved were related to a mob guy. What else is there to answer?

Absolutely fascinating story but it seems like they answered all my questions already. We know who ran the cheating ring and we know all the family members involved were related to a mob guy. What else is there to answer?
From the previews, it seems like there's a lot more.  Plus, they still haven't said how he got the pieces.  They explained how he was near them, but it sounded like he was never in a position to take them.  Or did I miss something?  Seemed like they explained how they went from printing to being put on the objects, and how he was involved in watching it all happen.  But did they actually say how he was able to take them without anyone knowing?  That seems like a big piece of the Monopoly puzzle.

Definitely committed 
They said it was the THIRD biggest mafia money maker ever!  That's insane!  

Something tells me this poor schlub went from running this money maker to having to continue it so the mafia didn't hurt him or his family.  

Nice permanent herp sore on ‘ol Gennaro Colombo’s upper lip in episode 3.

Episode 3 cranked the intensity up a notch or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I was shocked (and I'm not sure why considering the mafia was involved) that the "winners" actually were not only NOT making much money, but that they had to pay up front.

Going into this, I just thought it was a bunch of people who all knew each other helping out family members and making a killing.  But it's starting to sound like only about 3 people were actually making the money.

Also, side note, that guys wife has mannerisms like an abused dog.  She looks terrified of him.  And every so often, when she talks or makes a joke, she immediately, looks over at him and then down to the ground.  I keep watching her to see if she's blinking 'HELP' in Morse code.  

50 large per year, for 20 yrs

15k off the top in taxes

25k to the Jerrys 

10k for your troubles 

#### that, these are some rubes gettin' duped ... that broad had to mortgage her house to pony up the "entry" fee ... yeah, no thanks. 

50 large per year, for 20 yrs

15k off the top in taxes

25k to the Jerrys 

10k for your troubles 

#### that, these are some rubes gettin' duped ... that broad had to mortgage her house to pony up the "entry" fee ... yeah, no thanks. 
I think the point was that by the time you found out you were getting screwed, the mafia had already told you their plan.  There was no saying, "No thank you" at that point.  Like that lady said, there was no turning back once he told her the plan.

I think the point was that by the time you found out you were getting screwed, the mafia had already told you their plan.  There was no saying, "No thank you" at that point.  Like that lady said, there was no turning back once he told her the plan.
nah, not buying that angle ... she was the first to break outta the "mold" they had already established (mostly white Italian men from the East Coast) ... she was a dupe to 'diversify', and i recall not ONE mention of her being forced ... she was not at gunpoint by any stretch. 

the minute she heard she had to supplement them prior to the prize she shoulda bailed the #### out. 

case closed. 

nah, not buying that angle ... she was the first to break outta the "mold" they had already established (mostly white Italian men from the East Coast) ... she was a dupe to 'diversify', and i recall not ONE mention of her being forced ... she was not at gunpoint by any stretch. 

the minute she heard she had to supplement them prior to the prize she shoulda bailed the #### out. 

case closed. 
I'm not sure I follow you.  If the son of one of the major crime families tells you his plan to steal millions of dollars, I don't see how you can be like, "Thank you for the offer, but no thank you."  I mean you could do that, but I'd imagine you'd also end up dead, in a bag, in the New Jersey swampland. 

case closed. 
You should listen to the podcast 

I'm not sure I follow you.  If the son of one of the major crime families tells you his plan to steal millions of dollars, I don't see how you can be like, "Thank you for the offer, but no thank you."  I mean you could do that, but I'd imagine you'd also end up dead, in a bag, in the New Jersey swampland. 
she was no rando stooge, she was friendly with Colombo's wife ... slack, mah man. 

You should listen to the podcast 
perhaps i should. 

otb_lifer said:
she was no rando stooge, she was friendly with Colombo's wife ... slack, mah man. 
But what does being friendly with his wife have to do with it?  He comes up to her and says, "Hey, do you want to make a million dollars?"  She says yes.  He then explains how he does it and, oh by the way, you actually need to pay upfront and give him most of the money, and pay the taxes. 

But what does being friendly with his wife have to do with it?  He comes up to her and says, "Hey, do you want to make a million dollars?"  She says yes.  He then explains how he does it and, oh by the way, you actually need to pay upfront and give him most of the money, and pay the taxes. 
exactly.  she walks if she had half of a functioning brain. 

:ptts:

Last edited by a moderator:
... and how stiff was she for the interview?  man, guilt written all over her face/mannerisms/demeanor - she even allowed that she kinda viewed it as an interrogation, more than a puff piece ... so i'll give her credit there - she kinda sniffed it out. 

but nowhere near as affable as that moon faced dude from e2, who looked like he was on a steady diet of Prednisone/Helium/Crisco ... when that mendicant stole the fake check on the beach  :lmao:

anyways ... final scene last night - Colombo's wife pulled the Walken manuever from "Annie Hall"?  

i have no idea where J Colombo is now, and i don't wanna know, as per keeping this whole meshuga yarn fresh.  

.... dat crashing noise, tho  :popcorn:

I was a little confused by the last scene.  Now, to be fair, I was operating on two hours of sleep from the night before and I was just trying to squeeze that episode in before bed.  So for the last 10 minutes or so, I kind of felt like I was trying so hard to stay awake that I actually forgot to pay attention.

He took his seatbelt off, did something with the kid, put his seatbelt back on and then they got T-boned?  Is that correct or did I miss something bigger?

I was a little confused by the last scene.  Now, to be fair, I was operating on two hours of sleep from the night before and I was just trying to squeeze that episode in before bed.  So for the last 10 minutes or so, I kind of felt like I was trying so hard to stay awake that I actually forgot to pay attention.

He took his seatbelt off, did something with the kid, put his seatbelt back on and then they got T-boned?  Is that correct or did I miss something bigger?
don't even know if they crashed or not, though it was strongly inferred (see my "Walken/Annie Hall" comment) ...

they set it up as to where the wife was basically lamenting how she had no way outta this life, was in the most desperate and dire predicament - then they showed oncoming lights, and CRASH!!! sound effects. 

we were shown nothing, but we saw everything. 

That's about right.  I expect they will expand on what happened next time.

I'm really interested to find out how they are getting the game pieces.

wasn't Uncle Jerry's (then) wife head of security at the firm where they were pressing 'em?
Yes, but they went into great detail of how they were guarded.  And they never explained exactly how he got them when they were under such heavy security, usually by more than one person. 

Yes, but they went into great detail of how they were guarded.  And they never explained exactly how he got them when they were under such heavy security, usually by more than one person. 
absolutely, double lockdown of the fortress, ala the doomsday missile silos ...

but she's the linchpin- they got corrupted somewhere, and she's not being featured so prominently just so we can wind our watch or take a piss when she's speaking. 

btw, i believe they were divorced at this time ... kinda dovetails with the whole Uncle Jerry asking for Colombo's wife to marry him ... also recall security wife mentioning how helpful Unc was to her even after they split (coming by to do chores, etc)

absolutely, double lockdown of the fortress, ala the doomsday missile silos ...

but she's the linchpin- they got corrupted somewhere, and she's not being featured so prominently just so we can wind our watch or take a piss when she's speaking. 

btw, i believe they were divorced at this time ... kinda dovetails with the whole Uncle Jerry asking for Colombo's wife to marry him ... also recall security wife mentioning how helpful Unc was to her even after they split (coming by to do chores, etc)
Yup, I get all that.  But I want the actual details.  I'm looking forward to seeing just how he got them.  As I said earlier in this thread, I don't think they went into actual details unless I missed it.  I thought they just kind of set up how he was near it, not actually how they got them.  

Yup, I get all that.  But I want the actual details.  I'm looking forward to seeing just how he got them.  As I said earlier in this thread, I don't think they went into actual details unless I missed it.  I thought they just kind of set up how he was near it, not actually how they got them.  
i found it quite interesting that when they did apply the big prizes to the pieces that they were sure to have a dozen or so dummy/booby/fail pieces mixed in, so nobody could actually discern which one was the winner during the pressing. 

and how he got 'em?  betcha it's gonna be something very simple, akin to Tommy and Hendry ripping off Air France.

Didn’t see last nights episode but did catch up yesterday afternoon. What a crazy story- almost too weird to believe. It would have made a heck of a scripted miniseries as well give the level of characters we are dealing with. 

Users who are viewing this thread