What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Hard Words Thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I figured now is good a time as any to start a new thread on hard words.  Maybe we'll learn us something.

I'll start.  "Oversight" is a screwy one.  In one form, it's "the action of overseeing something," suggesting it's being watched and handled with care.  Sounds very positive.  In another form, it refers to "an unintentional failure to notice or do something"--quite negative.  Context is everything here.  But a weird word.

Whatcha got?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awry

Looks like it really should be awe-ree when read, which I say we put to a vote right now.

And ####### quinoa. #### that stuff AND the word it rode in on.

During this year's bowl games, I learned that VRBO is pronounced "VERBO" as one word, and not spelled out individually V.R.B.O. as I usually did it.

Bureaucracy just always gives me trouble trying to spell it. It is an annoying word and that’s quite fitting imo. 

During this year's bowl games, I learned that VRBO is pronounced "VERBO" as one word, and not spelled out individually V.R.B.O. as I usually did it.
What’s this now?  Like you heard some goober pronounce it that way or the company had a commercial where they decided to publicly discredit themselves as a legitimate business with such a pronunciation?  Ver-bo?  This would explain their idiotic additional fees, I suppose, same mindset and all

What’s this now?  Like you heard some goober pronounce it that way or the company had a commercial where they decided to publicly discredit themselves as a legitimate business with such a pronunciation?  Ver-bo?  This would explain their idiotic additional fees, I suppose, same mindset and all
Commercial 1:19 mark... "VERBO"... cant even look at it the same anymore.

It took me seeing those commercials to find out it was in fact VRBO, not VBRO. 

VBRO slides off the tongue easier for me, I guess.  Partial dyslexia too I'd imagine.  

I consider myself a good speller. Good with grammar.

I can't spell privilege for the life of me. I have to look it up every single time. I always want to add a D. Or an E. Or who knows what, I don't even misspell it the same each time. 

I hate that word.

i'm shopping for new floors and i thought the thread said "Hard Wood Thread" so maybe "word" should be on the list. just sayin'...

An old roommate used the word paradigm as banal or cliched. When I asked him why that way, since it's used for something being the bell/gold standard, and iirc  means the model or mold that sets the standard. For him, model or mold implied one in an identical set of same, cookie cutter items rather than the standard. Made a bit of sense at the time while doing bonghits.

I consider myself a good speller. Good with grammar.

I can't spell privilege for the life of me. I have to look it up every single time. I always want to add a D. Or an E. Or who knows what, I don't even misspell it the same each time. 

I hate that word.
I was asked to be in spelling bees as a kid.   Every single time now, I have to look up convienence .   convenience

Oversight is a contranym, a word that is its own opposite. Another word for that is auto-antonym.

Others are: bound (on the way somewhere, unable to leave somewhere), fast (to hold fixed in place, to move quickly away), appropriate (to give to, to take from), cleave (to stick to, to split apart), off (to activate, as in 'set off an alarm', or deactivate, as in 'turn off an alarm'), clip (to attach, to cut off), dust (to remove dust by sweeping, to add dust by sprinkling, like sugar on a cake), execute (to begin a plan, to end a person), left (to remain, to depart), and table (to discuss at a meeting, to not discuss at a meeting). Plenty more out there.
Woah.

yeah, all these words. All hard. 

Same here! 

My wife and sister in law refused to believe it or accept it. Claimed the company intentionally said it wrong for reasons unknown. 

Users who are viewing this thread