What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Netflix - Aaron Hernandez (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Anyone watching this?  We only got to watch the first episode last night but it was good.  Hoping it stays good.  

When the guy was talking about how him and Aaron hung out all the time and he said, "You know, me and Aaron would horseplay", I turned to my wife and said, "What the hell?  I've never heard a guy say that to another guy describing hanging out."  Then he said they made out and had sex.   :shock:   No wonder I never heard that.

I had heard the rumors before, but I honestly thought it was just wild rumors or accusations.  

Finished it all last night. I had never heard any of the stuff about him being bisexual (or gay). Interesting.

Finished it all last night. I had never heard any of the stuff about him being bisexual (or gay). Interesting.
I forget which one it was, but there was another doc that came out really quick after it all happened.  And that's where I first heard that.  But again, it almost sounded like hearsay more than facts. 

Don't know why i don't want to see this. Purest football talent i've ever seen - i don't think there's a position on the field at which he could not have excelled at the pro level and there's no one else i'm even close to saying that about - and his three OJ days i was actually rooting for him to run but, now, i want nothing to do with it and i can't figure out why

Don't know why i don't want to see this. Purest football talent i've ever seen - i don't think there's a position on the field at which he could not have excelled at the pro level and there's no one else i'm even close to saying that about - and his three OJ days i was actually rooting for him to run but, now, i want nothing to do with it and i can't figure out why
I love trying to get into the minds of these people.  To see what might have made them snap or if that's who they were.  That's fascinating to me.  I didn't know him as a football player.  I knew him as a football player who was arrested for possibly murdering someone.  Like, it seems like you have everything.  What makes you kill someone because they "disrespected" you?  I would love to know.

I think it'll be amazing in the future when we'll be able to download the brain of a killer and actually see what was going on in their brain during that timeframe before and during the murder.  Won't be my lifetime.  But probably not soon after.

I love trying to get into the minds of these people.  To see what might have made them snap or if that's who they were.  That's fascinating to me.  I didn't know him as a football player.  I knew him as a football player who was arrested for possibly murdering someone.  Like, it seems like you have everything.  What makes you kill someone because they "disrespected" you?  I would love to know.

I think it'll be amazing in the future when we'll be able to download the brain of a killer and actually see what was going on in their brain during that timeframe before and during the murder.  Won't be my lifetime.  But probably not soon after.
yeah, i been down with "mind of a killer" stuff since i read my first Thomas Harris novel in the 80s. could never get enough. so i don't know if i'm finally saturated or afraid that it would confirm the wrong side of a gen i dont want to feel any more negatively about than i already do or what, but i dont want this....

Finished it and kind of hated it. He committed multiple murders and they start trying to justify it with all kinds of stuff. Oh he was closeted gay and it made him kill!  No, he had CTE and it made him kill!  His parents sucked and it made him kill!

Come on. They show the clip of him playing with his daughter care-free the same morning they shot a guy and left him in a lot. He was a psychopath. 

Finished it and kind of hated it. He committed multiple murders and they start trying to justify it with all kinds of stuff. Oh he was closeted gay and it made him kill!  No, he had CTE and it made him kill!  His parents sucked and it made him kill!

Come on. They show the clip of him playing with his daughter care-free the same morning they shot a guy and left him in a lot. He was a psychopath. 
I have to be honest, this was my worry going into this.  Netflix docs tend to lean to the side of the accused.  And when I saw that this was done by the people who did Making A Murderer, it really worried me.   

I guess you've confirmed my fears. 

I know that Reelz Channel and ID are supposed to have ones coming out next week.  We'll see if those go the same route as "Poor Aaron Hernandez."

Started it last night - got a little bit through episode 1 and fell asleep.  I'll pick up tonight.  Interested to see where it goes.  I'm pretty into this sort of stuff, and kept up with this case extensively, so I'm not sure there will be that much I didn't get from articles, but the phone call clips are new and interesting. 

The thing that gets me is how almost child-like his speech is.  He's always talking almost as if he's still a little boy.  I think there was something off in his head - doesn't justify anything, but it can help explain it.  It's almost as if he doesn't fully understand long-term consequences.  They even said how quickly he adjusted to the prison routine - it's as if he didn't fully grasp he was going to be there for the rest of his life potentially.  Some kind of issue like that could help explain a lot about the guy.

Why a person feels the need to kill stems from something.  It usually has to do with how they were raised or they have issues mentally.  Seems relevant to me.

Why a person feels the need to kill stems from something.  It usually has to do with how they were raised or they have issues mentally.  Seems relevant to me.
Like I said, I watched only the first episode and it's a lot of background about him.  I like that kind of stuff.  My comment was just I don't want them trying to justify him as being the victim in this.  But I definitely like hearing all of the stuff that made him what he was.

Watched first episode. Doesn’t delete his own security camera footage showing him with the weapon.

Rich guy, good lawyer he probably would have gotten away with the murder.

Bo Jackson would have said "Hold my beer"
No comparison, athletically, but Hernandez's field skills were as far above Bo's as Bo's talent was above his. The only player who confounded Belichick by handling whatever he asked him to try and more and could run all the WR routes in the playbook. He would have played as much tailback as TE and was coming up to be BB's wildcat QB if he'd kept his #### together and i can only imagine the linebacker he'd have been. 

Watched first episode. Doesn’t delete his own security camera footage showing him with the weapon.

Rich guy, good lawyer he probably would have gotten away with the murder.
I think he just overlooked it.  I think he thought he erased all of the incriminating evidence.  

I think he just overlooked it.  I think he thought he erased all of the incriminating evidence.  
Just finished episode 2. He definitely was going to get caught (the bullets in the rental car and crime scene, cell phone tower pings, etc). 

Just a delusional dude.

This series is really well done. Well told, breaking it all down. They do have some fascinating material to work with here. 

Just finished episode 2. He definitely was going to get caught (the bullets in the rental car and crime scene, cell phone tower pings, etc). 

Just a delusional dude.

This series is really well done. Well told, breaking it all down. They do have some fascinating material to work with here. 
Oh yeah.  The evidence was overwhelming.  I hope they go into the other double murder, too, because that evidence also seemed overwhelming, yet somehow he was found not guilty of that one.  I'd be interested to see why.

Oh yeah.  The evidence was overwhelming.  I hope they go into the other double murder, too, because that evidence also seemed overwhelming, yet somehow he was found not guilty of that one.  I'd be interested to see why.
Yeah I don’t know much about this other than he went to jail and killed himself.

They made it sound like he was going to be busted for those murders as Ep 2 ended. That guy is testifying against him. 

I thought I remembered a story with Wes Welker saying when Hernadez was a rookie Welker was hazing him. He told Hernadez to pick up his bags or something. Hernandez told Welker he would kill him or something in a way that Welker decided not to mess with him any further.

I watched the first ep ang thought it was very interesting. They released all eps of the doc at once? May have to binge watch.

Watched the first two episodes so far. At least to this point I haven’t felt like the family problems, potential brain trauma, etc have been portrayed in any way as “excuses” for his behavior. Has come across much more as just chronicling his life and what drove him to have this double life, in a way.

I did feel some sympathy for him during those calls he had with his mother. You can really tell how hurt he was by the things she did, how she treated him, and what she felt she deserved from him.

Only time he sounded really genuine, IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the first two episodes so far. At least to this point I haven’t felt like the family problems, potential brain trauma, etc have been portrayed in any way as “excuses” for his behavior. Has come across much more as just chronicling his life and what drove him to have this double life, in a way.

I did feel some sympathy for him during those calls he had with his mother. You can really tell how hurt he was by the things she did, how she treated him, and what she felt she deserved from him.

Only time he sounded really genuine, IMO. 
I thought he sounded fake as ####. He was disturbed by something, but I am only 1 ep in. I think his Dad's death crushed him, and he was a wanna be gangsta with "stage 5 clingers" wanting $.

The only time he sounded genuine, was when his daughter was on the phone.

Got into the middle of the last episode last night and our cable went out in the area.  Sucked because we only had like 20 minutes left to watch.  

I'd say 80% is really good.  Then there are the parts where they try to blame the Patriots, the NFL and weed not being legalized for the reason he killed 3 people, tried to murder another, and seriously injured a dozen others.  You know.  Because that makes perfect sense.  :rolleyes:

Fat Nick said:
The thing that gets me is how almost child-like his speech is.  He's always talking almost as if he's still a little boy.  I think there was something off in his head - doesn't justify anything, but it can help explain it.
I thought he sounded a little like Brendan from Making a Murderer.  Was expecting him to start talking about being home to watch wrestling.

Fat Nick said:
The thing that gets me is how almost child-like his speech is.  He's always talking almost as if he's still a little boy.  I think there was something off in his head - doesn't justify anything, but it can help explain it.  It's almost as if he doesn't fully understand long-term consequences.  They even said how quickly he adjusted to the prison routine - it's as if he didn't fully grasp he was going to be there for the rest of his life potentially.  Some kind of issue like that could help explain a lot about the guy.
I thought the same exact thing speech wise when you heard his prison conversations.  But then when you heard him interviewed when he was either at UF or with the Patriots, I did not think so.

TheIronSheik said:
 My comment was just I don't want them trying to justify him as being the victim in this.  But I definitely like hearing all of the stuff that made him what he was.
I am two episodes in. So far I do not feel they are trying to justify him. I do feel that he was a victim of a ####ty dad and circumstances. In no way do I feel like that justifies what he did. He was absolutely a victim of child abuse, hiding his sexuality, CTE, and just being born into a bad situation. Again this does not justify what he did but it can explain it. I am going to boldly say that everyone on this board at one time wanted to lose their #### on someone at some time. Most of us can control those urges and then there are those who can not control that. Why is that? Chemical imbalance? CTE? watching a family member violently abuse another family member? just ####ed up?

I don't know the answer. I do see reasons for Hernandez to not be right but he is still guilty and if still alive, belonged in prison.

These are the kind of guys you hope you never bump into. In my opinion there are more of them out there then we know and we are traversing a mine field most of the time.

Interesting side note. I went to high school in Bristol. It is kind of cool recognizing some of the streets in this show.

*fun fact 

I thought he sounded fake as ####. He was disturbed by something, but I am only 1 ep in. I think his Dad's death crushed him, and he was a wanna be gangsta with "stage 5 clingers" wanting $.

The only time he sounded genuine, was when his daughter was on the phone.
Tell me if you feel the same after hearing his calls with his mother in episode 2. 

I can look past his one murder.  I can look past his double murder.  And I can look past his attempted murder.

But dude was dropping N-words all over the place.  Not cool.  That's when I lost respect for him.

Just curious who ends up with the money from making shows like this. His daughter? His former fiancé? The family of the victims? The NFL? The producers? Netflix?

The Patriots. Another reason they’re so despicable. 
IDK if you watched it,  but they had a mention in there that when he was 'on the run' and scared for his life b/c someone he thought he killed didnt die, he went to Belichick and asked for a trade out of Boston for his safety and Bill told him to pound sand. Gangsta! 

IDK if you watched it,  but they had a mention in there that when he was 'on the run' and scared for his life b/c someone he thought he killed didnt die, he went to Belichick and asked for a trade out of Boston for his safety and Bill told him to pound sand. Gangsta! 
I'm not a Belichick the person fan at all, but that is pretty impressive.

Then again, maybe AH didn't threaten to gut BB - maybe he had respect for football authority or something.

Then again, maybe AH didn't threaten to gut BB - maybe he had respect for football authority or something.
They moved him into an apartment.  This is one of the times the doc went in the direction where it was blaming others.  For 10 minutes, they had people on there saying, "You have a pro football player with a mansion, and you put him in an apartment?  He was afraid for his life.  Did you think he wanted to go there because he wanted to paint Bob Ross pictures?!?!?"

Uh. No.  I'm sure they got him that place because they thought that's where he was taking his mistresses.  I'm sure 75% of the league has apartments like that set up by the teams Fixers.  

He looked very concerned when Kraft was about to enter the courtroom.  

That's exactly where we were at when the cable went out last night.  Right when they said he turned around 6 times to look for him.  *ZAP*

Black screen.  

Looking forward to watching the conclusion tonight.  Also, a reminder that there are two other ones on this weekend.  One on ID for sure.  And one on REELZ.  But that last one kept getting pushed back and back and back.  Not sure what's happening with that or if it will actually air.  :shrug:

That's exactly where we were at when the cable went out last night.  Right when they said he turned around 6 times to look for him.  *ZAP*

Black screen.  

Looking forward to watching the conclusion tonight.  Also, a reminder that there are two other ones on this weekend.  One on ID for sure.  And one on REELZ.  But that last one kept getting pushed back and back and back.  Not sure what's happening with that or if it will actually air.  :shrug:
Website still says it's on tomorrow.  The ID one is the 20th, I believe. 

I took that as maybe Kraft was the father figure he adopted because his own father passed. And that by him having to get called into court to testify in this mess. that he was letting him down. IDK, but thats what I got out of it. 

I would have loved to hear that testimony, but (at least how they showed it) Kraft didn't even look at AH when walking into the courtroom. 

They moved him into an apartment.  This is one of the times the doc went in the direction where it was blaming others.  For 10 minutes, they had people on there saying, "You have a pro football player with a mansion, and you put him in an apartment?  He was afraid for his life.  Did you think he wanted to go there because he wanted to paint Bob Ross pictures?!?!?"

Uh. No.  I'm sure they got him that place because they thought that's where he was taking his mistresses.  I'm sure 75% of the league has apartments like that set up by the teams Fixers.  
I disagree, assuming that Hernandez did tell them he feared for his life. Now, that's not someone coming and asking for a place to take pieces on the side. So I don't think the documentary was trying to blame the Patriots for the murders. I think - at least this is how I took it - that it just showed that the NFL really doesn't care about the players as human beings. They're just products. Same concept as talking about how they shoot everyone up with all the painkillers. One of the overall themes was how he just kept getting away with everything because people always covered up for him - in high school, at Florida and with the Patriots.

So I found it very interesting that this guy goes to the Patriots and tells them he fears for his life and their only apparent response is to get him some piece of crap apartment. I mean, what is that? If you don't believe him, then you must think the guy is crazy or wanting to do illegal stuff there. If that's what they thought, why were they OK with that?

Again, Patriots are not culpable in the murders. But I think it's a pretty big example of how money and winning is what matters. These teams don't give a crap about these guys.

I disagree, assuming that Hernandez did tell them he feared for his life. Now, that's not someone coming and asking for a place to take pieces on the side. So I don't think the documentary was trying to blame the Patriots for the murders. I think - at least this is how I took it - that it just showed that the NFL really doesn't care about the players as human beings. They're just products. Same concept as talking about how they shoot everyone up with all the painkillers. One of the overall themes was how he just kept getting away with everything because people always covered up for him - in high school, at Florida and with the Patriots.

So I found it very interesting that this guy goes to the Patriots and tells them he fears for his life and their only apparent response is to get him some piece of crap apartment. I mean, what is that? If you don't believe him, then you must think the guy is crazy or wanting to do illegal stuff there. If that's what they thought, why were they OK with that?

Again, Patriots are culpable in the murders. But I think it's a pretty big example of how money and winning is what matters. These teams don't give a crap about these guys.
I haven't seen how they portrayed this in the show yet, but from what I remember when this was all going on, NE was concerned they just signed a guy to a big extension and then he immediately started having a lot of issues. IIRC, what I remember reading was Hernandez was having a drug induced manic outburst and they were more concerned about the drug use than what he was saying. So yeah, the team was concerned that their $40+ million investment was likely a potential liability. I believe they thought something was going on, but AH was undergoing a drug induced paranoia. Part of the problem for sports franchises is keeping stuff under wraps while evaluating what they should do. If word got out about Hernandez, NE likely could have seen AH have a lengthy suspension. It cuts both ways. Hernandez already had issues and potentially had killed someone but was happy to take the Patriots money. Yet then he wanted their help when that likely meant he would not be available to play (if the Patriots went all in to help in.

I took that as maybe Kraft was the father figure he adopted because his own father passed. And that by him having to get called into court to testify in this mess. that he was letting him down. IDK, but thats what I got out of it. 

I would have loved to hear that testimony, but (at least how they shoed it) Kraft didint even look at AH when walking into the courtroom. 
For sure.  The look on his face was like waiting for your dad to come home from work after you did something bad in school.

Again, Patriots are not culpable in the murders. But I think it's a pretty big example of how money and winning is what matters. These teams don't give a crap about these guys.
I understand what you're saying, but respectfully disagree, GB.  The painkiller part seemed pointless to story other than to take a shot at the NFL.

As for the apartment, I'm guessing Hernandez went to the Pats and said, "Yo.  I think someone is after me and trying to kill me."  And the first question they asked him was, "Did you go to the police?"  And when he said no, I'm guessing they rolled their eyes and got him an apartment.  They didn't trade him because he was good and they just signed him to a huge contract.  

I understand what you're saying, but respectfully disagree, GB.  The painkiller part seemed pointless to story other than to take a shot at the NFL.

As for the apartment, I'm guessing Hernandez went to the Pats and said, "Yo.  I think someone is after me and trying to kill me."  And the first question they asked him was, "Did you go to the police?"  And when he said no, I'm guessing they rolled their eyes and got him an apartment.  They didn't trade him because he was good and they just signed him to a huge contract.  
Sure, that's plausible. And irresponsible. That's all I'm saying. These owners don't care about the players. Period. Separate issue than the murders. But an issue nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread