What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Music Thread. 9/11 - Flaming Lips, Everything Everything (1 Viewer)

I haven't liked a Lips album since Embryonic, but the singles I've heard from the new one are good and I am reading many good things about it, so I will check it out.  Wayne Coyne's voice is done (it was done the last time I saw them live 6-7 years ago), but they do enough studio magic with their trippy effects to hide it most of the time.

The Soft Bulletin through Embronic was a helluva run.
His voice is a little strained on this but it doesn’t bother me. All my favorite singers couldn’t sing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Six String Salute 

sixstringsalute.com

On September 17th, 2020, Six String Salute will premiere a virtual concert to support and celebrate the touring and venue crews who are the backbone of live music and depend on shows to make a living. Six String Salute will bring together guitarists and guitar-centric bands to share exclusive performances and great rock and roll stories in support of Crew Nation, a global relief fund for live music crewst

Arists confirmed to appear include: Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Steve Vai, Tommy Shaw (Styx) with the Cleveland Youth Orchestra, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Halestorm, Rik Emmett (Triumph), Joe Satriani, Joel Hoekstra (Whitesnake, TSO), Frank Hannon (Tesla), the triple guitar attack of Alice Cooper’s Nita Strauss, Tommy Henriksen and Ryan Roxie, plus Richard Williams (Kansas), Alex Skolnick (Testament), Jennifer Batten, Dave Pirner (Soul Asylum), Big Head Todd & The Monsters, Damon Johnson (Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Steve Cropper, Jesse Dayton, Steve Hackett (Genesis), Jeff Watson (Night Ranger), Nick Perri (The Underground Thieves), Sammy Boller, Ross the Boss, Joyous Wolf and more.

I'm sitting outside at the family cottage sipping on a beer, catching up on new songs and pretending it's not way too ####### cold to be sitting outside. 

I'm sitting outside at the family cottage sipping on a beer, catching up on new songs and pretending it's not way too ####### cold to be sitting outside. 
It's like ninety-five here. Can we get some of your cool? 
Perfect 50s and sunny here in nyc. Played tennis with floppinha this morning and just got back from a run with floppinho. Watched a little soccer in-between...perfect day.

Perfect 50s and sunny here in nyc. Played tennis with floppinha this morning and just got back from a run with floppinho. Watched a little soccer in-between...perfect day.
It was about the same here, 12 celsius, so 54ish. But for just sitting pretty chilly when the sun went in. 

Sounds like a much more active day that I had 😂. I was actually going to watch Sheffield Wednesday (wife's family's team) but didn't realize they aren't on DAZN anymore.

Fleet Foxes pulled a Radiohead and announced today that they have a new album finished and ready to go, and will be released tomorrow!! Hell yeah.

Northern Voice said:
One listen overreaction, this is the best Fleet Foxes album.
Woah.  I love the first two albums, so that feels like a bold statement. I am seeing a lot of positive feedback; I am psyched to hear this.

I like it too. 

But my one listen overreaction was even greater for the eponymous debut and the Sun Giant ep. 

One listen overreaction, this is the best Fleet Foxes album.
I guess I will have to listen more, because my initial reaction was not nearly as overwhelming.

Seemed much more accessible and I don't remember them using a drum kit before (maybe somewhere on the Bim Sala Bim album?)  Not saying that was a bad thing, just saying I didn't hear the usual musical complexities, but I had it on in the background, so I certainly need to re-listen.

I guess I will have to listen more, because my initial reaction was not nearly as overwhelming.

Seemed much more accessible and I don't remember them using a drum kit before (maybe somewhere on the Bim Sala Bim album?)  Not saying that was a bad thing, just saying I didn't hear the usual musical complexities, but I had it on in the background, so I certainly need to re-listen.
The more accessible thing is almost always a good thing for me, I often end up on a bit of an island... case in point for Fleet Foxes, IMO> 

• Fleet Foxes 8/10
  • Helplessness Blues 8.5/10
  • Crack-Up 7.5/10
  • Shore 9/10

This year has been pretty good

Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, Waxahatchee, Hayley Willams and Tame Impala. 

Meh, maybe. I only remembered them from she don't use jelly song they had. Maybe they were bigger than I remembered. 
Not really. They never broke through like other bands, but people in the proverbial know might have dug them for reasons other than the single. I personally knew of only the single, really, and it was a deterrent to examining them further. I'm not sure that the assertion that followed them not being big and that the album came out of the blue is true, though. They may have been crafting albums like that before anybody noticed and the world might have caught up with them instead of the other way around. 

Not really. They never broke through like other bands, but people in the proverbial know might have dug them for reasons other than the single. I personally knew of only the single, really, and it was a deterrent to examining them further. I'm not sure that the assertion that followed them not being big and that the album came out of the blue is true, though. They may have been crafting albums like that before anybody noticed and the world might have caught up with them instead of the other way around. 
Could be. Iirc the album before it though was some psychedelic miasma that consisted of 3 or 4 discs that were supposed to be played at the same time. I think they recorded some of it at a drive in theater or parking lot when coyne gave a bunch of people cassette tapes to play simultaneously.

Eta sorry for the hijack

New album drops in ten minutes.

Not that I care.

Or have a timer on.

Or that kind of thing.

New single War dropped today. 
I knew going in it wasn't going to touch the last two...none of the new singles dropped are close. But it's good and pretty consistent, even if the heights aren't as high. And tbh, the singles have grown on me- the last two in particular- and ne touche pas moi jumped out at me from the rest as a solid banger...even if they had to add "consent" into the lyrics with a woke sledgehammer.

Meh, maybe. I only remembered them from she don't use jelly song they had. Maybe they were bigger than I remembered. 
I wouldn’t say they were bigger but they were certainly better than Jelly. 

The fact that that song was a breakthrough radio hit has always baffled me. IMO, there are multiple better songs on Transmissions alone, not to mention on Clouds, Priest and Hit to Death.

Soft Bulletin is their masterpiece, though.   

Not sure if it's been mentioned but "Folklore" by Taylor Swift is probably the best album of the year imo. It's not pop music... Not even sure how to describe it. It's just good ### music 

Users who are viewing this thread