What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Virginia 2nd amendment rally 1/20/20 (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
No thread/discussion on this?  Very tense situation that could easily become a powder keg.  Especially after the events of Charlottesville (70 miles west) two years ago. 

Governor has already declared a state of emergency, and banned all weapons from Capitol grounds.  3 arrested by FBI already suspected in being in hate group who were planning to attend.  Counties are setting themselves up a "2A sanctuary" locations, with one county sheriff saying he will deputize local citizens, allowing them to skirt the law.  Crazy situation all around.

Hopefully none of the "2nd amendment people" fly off the handle because of this.

They are totally allowed to voice their opinions under the 1st amendment, though

Gun safety measures are in the works and gun owners see that as an attempt to pry firearms from cold dead hands, or some such.

Is there some legislation under consideration that they are protesting? 
Lots. Democrats took control of house this past election, and immediately started proposing bills concerning gun ownership, purchase, bans and the like.  I believe one bill would even eliminate all privately owned indoor gun ranges.

Lots. Democrats took control of house this past election, and immediately started proposing bills concerning gun ownership, purchase, bans and the like.  I believe one bill would even eliminate all privately owned indoor gun ranges.
A proposed gun control bill in Virginia would place significant limits on the ability for indoor shooting ranges to operate within the state, including the range located at the National Rifle Association's headquarters in Fairfax, according to the Prince William Times.

Ditch the fake news ==> Click here to get news you can trust sent right to your inbox. It's free!

Democratic state Del. Dan Helmer, elected in 2019, introduced House Bill 567 earlier this month. The bill seeks to place restrictions on indoor shooting ranges with 50 or more employees.

What would the bill do?

Under the bill, indoor shooting ranges would be illegal unless they are in buildings either owned or leased by the state or federal government, have fewer than 50 employees, or unless at least 90% of the users of the ranges are law enforcement officers. The ranges would be required to log each user's name, phone number, address, and law enforcement agency.
Many people see this as a direct jab at the NRA.

Man, crap like that is just stupid.  Skirting around making stuff illegal by just making it hard to do is something I'm pretty much never a fan of from either side.  You can still have guns, you just can't shoot them anywhere, well, unless you have your own land, then you can do whatever you want.

I don't know all the details but it seems like that indoor shooting range law would get struck down by the courts.  What's the rationale for restrictions on only shooting ranges with over 50 employees?

So now antifa is joining the gun rights advocates?  Who'd of thunk that?

An annual 2nd Amendment rally in Richmond, Va. scheduled for this Monday will see gun rights activists marching alonside an unusual ally: the local Antifa chapter.

While Antifa groups are most famous for sometimes-violent protests against right-wing groups, the Richmond-based Antifa Seven Hills is joining 2nd Amendment supporters in support of gun rights.

“I think it’s been pretty important for us to focus on the fact that gun control in America has a legacy of racist enforcement,” Seven Hills spokesperson James told Vice, requesting that his last name be withheld from publication. “Like taking guns away from black people, because black people were perceived as a threat to property and the sanctity of the state.”
I didn't see that reasoning coming.

Is this another get-ttogether to unite and scream that they will never, EVER allow anyone to take their guns, despite the fact that no one is trying to take their guns?

Sounds like Neo Nazis are in charge of some of the protests- on Martin Luther King Day no less. And Trump is tweeting about it again. 

Sounds just like Charlottesville.

For all of the "Obama's inauguration and only 5 people missed work" jokes I saw, there had better be nobody at this thing. 

Driving the momentum behind the Virginia Citizens Defense League rally is a package of gun control measures that Northam and Democrats campaigned on and promised to pass after flipping the state legislature in November.

Three bills passed the state Senate on Thursday: A limit to one handgun purchase per month, a requirement for universal background checks on gun sales and a rule allowing localities to ban guns in some public areas.

A proposal for a "red flag" law, which would allow authorities to temporarily take guns away from anyone deemed dangerous to themselves or others, is also being considered.

Other proposals Democrats and Northam have backed include rules about reporting lost or stolen firearms, increased penalties for recklessly leaving loaded, unsecured firearms near children, a ban on anyone subject to a final protective order from possessing firearms, and a ban on "assault firearms" – though some moderate Democrats expressed concerns over that bill.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/20/virginia-gun-laws-richmond-gun-rally-tied-neo-nazis/4498339002/
I'm not a fan of the one handgun per month bill, but everything else seems palatable. Definitely need to see the language behind red flag laws and public area bans. 

I'm not a fan of the one handgun per month bill, but everything else seems palatable. Definitely need to see the language behind red flag laws and public area bans. 
Do you feel that’s not enough guns per month or too many? Is it simply the precedent of limiting the ability to own a gun?

I also agree on the fact that language is important, but don’t disagree with the idea. 

Do you feel that’s not enough guns per month or too many? Is it simply the precedent of limiting the ability to own a gun?
I think putting a limit of one handgun a month is too restrictive.  I would say three is a more reasonable number, or putting a yearly limit on it. 

I don't want to see a situation where someone buys a handgun (with a background check) and gets to the shooting range and can't handle the gun or doesn't like it and wants a different one, but is now SOL for 30 days.  That puts their safety at risk.  If the concern is stockpilling guns, there are better ways to regulate that IMO. 

Isn't this how it is supposed to work? There was an election and consequences. The new minority is getting vocal in an attempt to limit how far the pendulum swings. Democracy isn't always quiet. I just hope folks keep their cool. Some of the messaging from the more extreme edges is disturbing. Anyone trying to push this thing towards violence needs to be taken down lawfully, immediately, and hard.

The main issue is the language around the proposed assault weapons ban. 

“previous Democratic proposals defined assault weapons as any semiautomatic rifle or pistol with a fixed magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds, and any shotgun with a capacity of more than seven rounds. The proposed bans have also covered a variety of gun features and modifications such as bump stocks, suppressors, folding or telescoping stocks, pistol grips, thumbhole stocks and mounts for bayonets or grenade launchers.”

there was no “grandfather” clause so any citizens possessing one of the above would be considered a felon.

The main issue is the language around the proposed assault weapons ban. 

“previous Democratic proposals defined assault weapons as any semiautomatic rifle or pistol with a fixed magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds, and any shotgun with a capacity of more than seven rounds. The proposed bans have also covered a variety of gun features and modifications such as bump stocks, suppressors, folding or telescoping stocks, pistol grips, thumbhole stocks and mounts for bayonets or grenade launchers.”

there was no “grandfather” clause so any citizens possessing one of the above would be considered a felon.
Yeah, this one will never get passed.  Thanks for the info though. 

Users who are viewing this thread