What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL 2020 Dallas Cowboys *** Jason Garrett responsible for yet another letdown season. Which WR should the Cowboys take with the 10th pick? (2 Viewers)

No

Too early to discuss next years draft?  :barf:
Not at all. 

Hoping they can finish 2-14 and perhaps get close enough to make a play for Trevor Lawrence. Likely a pipe dream, but not wholly inconceivable.

Even without the injuries, this team was clearly trending towards 8 wins as a max- horrific defense, a marginal head coach, and overrated QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
No

Not at all. 

Hoping they can finish 2-14 and perhaps get close enough to make a play for Trevor Lawrence. Likely a pipe dream, but not wholly inconceivable.

Even without the injuries, this team was clearly trending towards 8 wins as a max- horrific defense, a marginal head coach, and overrated QB.
I bet we could make the playoffs going 5-11.

I watched one drive last night. 

This team is doomed unless they resume drafting OL. They were on a roll until Frederick got sick and forgot how they were building the team. I love Cee Dee but we would be a better team with road grading behemoths instead of the athletic guys we go for. 

Switch back to a 4-3 base. 
Focus on OL, DL, DB, LB and nothing else. 
Switch to a ball/time controlled run oriented offense similar to how they played with Demarco Murray. I love Dak and think he’s a far better passer than given credit for but asking him to throw 40 times a game is just lunacy or hubris. 

Until they get back to that it’s over. I’m. It sure I can stomach this train wreck. It’s bad and it’s inexcusable. 

I like the thread title change. I also like the fact that there is no Cowboy/Eagle feud this year because both teams have had major injuries and the starters who remain are underperforming. No one can really point out the other teams flaws without exposing their own

Would Dallas be better served with Fitzpatrick learning the playbook and slinging it rather than Dalton who's immobility looks ill suited for the banged up line and current NFL?

If you win your division/make the playoffs, your picks start in the 20's
I think it's 18 this year with 14 teams making playoffs.

But yes, winning this division would mean pick 18 vs a top 10 pick for coming 2nd.

Also games vs Packers & Seahawks next year for div winner.  Instead of Bears & Rams/Cardinals for 2nd place.

With a likely first round loss for any NFCE team, the real winners might be the 2nd place team.

This team is a disaster.  ESPN has Dallas favored for the 8th pick.  Should be able to get a good OL there. 

I saw this too on rotoworld:

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Cowboys players have begun forcefully criticizing the coaching staff after originally agreeing to "keep things internal." 

“Totally unprepared," were the words of one player. "They don’t teach. They don’t have any sense of adjusting on the fly.” Another added “they just aren’t good at their jobs." Other than that, we hope things are going well. New coach Mike McCarthy sold an offseason narrative of coming into the 21st century and learning analytics, but none of the analytics in the world can make up for having Mike Nolan as your defensive coordinator. The Cowboys have allowed an astonishing 218 points through their first six games, which is tied for the fourth most in NFL history. Dak Prescott's season-ending ankle injury gives McCarthy an alibi, but this could turn into a one-and-done situation. It wouldn't be the first time with a retread. Of course, all of this ignores that the 2-4 Cowboys still sit atop the horrid NFC East.  

:wub:  "anonymous players" talking trash. It is so funny, and the media loves to just suck it up and use it. Love media folks using "forcefully criticizing" too, yet won't cite anybody by name. You have something to say, put your name behind it. 

Believe me, i laughed when people went gaga over the McCarthy hire because the guy is a bum (great PR spin though), but it isn't like he is the only reason they lost that game last night. I see references to injuries in here, and that is part of it, but there is a lot more than that too. 

I watched one drive last night. 

This team is doomed unless they resume drafting OL. They were on a roll until Frederick got sick and forgot how they were building the team. I love Cee Dee but we would be a better team with road grading behemoths instead of the athletic guys we go for. 

Switch back to a 4-3 base. 
Focus on OL, DL, DB, LB and nothing else. 
Switch to a ball/time controlled run oriented offense similar to how they played with Demarco Murray. I love Dak and think he’s a far better passer than given credit for but asking him to throw 40 times a game is just lunacy or hubris. 

Until they get back to that it’s over. I’m. It sure I can stomach this train wreck. It’s bad and it’s inexcusable. 

Conner Williams,  Conner McGovern.  They're picking them just forced to play too early.  The do need a top notch tackle to fill in as Tyron only plays 50% until he retires.  They will be better next year for having lived through this. 

Why can't Winston be had on the cheap?
Would Fitzpatrick be a better target? Out of conference and believe he will he a free agent next year. Bet a deal could be had that would benefit both teams with Dolphins moving on to Tua. Might as well get something for him before we walks in free agency. His mobility would be a big improvement over even a healthy Dalton. 

Conner Williams,  Conner McGovern.  They're picking them just forced to play too early.  The do need a top notch tackle to fill in as Tyron only plays 50% until he retires.  They will be better next year for having lived through this. 
Those two were not drafted in the first round and both of them are undersized and athletic. I want road graders. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Those two were not drafted in the first round and both of them are undersized and athletic. I want road graders. 
They had first round grade on William's. Guess we need a few years of going 2-14 so we can get to draft picks. You're saying rebuilding mode. 

They had first round grade on William's. Guess we need a few years of going 2-14 so we can get to draft picks. You're saying rebuilding mode. 
No I’m not. They were doing exactly what I’m asking them to do for years. They started leaning offense with the Zeke Elliot pick and it’s been trending away from that strategy ever since. 

Im saying you draft OL 90% with the only exception being a stud DL or DB. NEVER take an offensive player with your first pick. Ever. 

Draft a stud OL every year and by the 5th year you’re replacing the guy (and his enormous contract,) you drafted 5 years ago. Rinse and repeat. 

You run a conservative offense that’s run heavy. This keeps the defense fresh and the offensive numbers from exploding which leads to all your skill players demanding top dollar. 

The  time has finally arrived for Jones to hire a real GM, in fact it is past time.   Question is he able to just be owner and team president?

The  time has finally arrived for Jones to hire a real GM, in fact it is past time.   Question is he able to just be owner and team president?
I think we all already know the answer to that question. 

Quick math shows that the Cowboys are about 17 games over .500 for the 25 years since the last Super Bowl appearance (204-187, starting in 1996. Dont shoot me if I'm off by a couple games either way, added them up quick in between zoom meetings; point still stands), with only 10 playoff appearances in that time, and not a single NFC title game appearance. 

Name me one owner who would keep a GM on the payroll for 25 years with that type of mediocrity, let alone for what used to be a premiere NFL franchise. 

This has been going on for 25 years. Jerry's ego won't allow him to do what he should obviously do for the franchise and for the fan base, and hire a real GM (who isn't just a yes-man).  It's a shame. 

Injuries have DECIMATED this team this year.
I have Zeke in a keeper league so I have some question for you guys:  are any of the injured oline expected to return soon?  I think some defensive players are returning from injury soon as well, can the defense improve enough to make Zeke the actual focal point of the offense when the injured players return?  For next year, what is the likely hood that MCCarthy will get fired this year.

Thanks!

I have Zeke in a keeper league so I have some question for you guys:  are any of the injured oline expected to return soon?  I think some defensive players are returning from injury soon as well, can the defense improve enough to make Zeke the actual focal point of the offense when the injured players return?  For next year, what is the likely hood that MCCarthy will get fired this year.

Thanks!
La’el Colins and Tyron Smith are done for the year. Zack Martin and Joe Looney are Questionable for week 8. Theoretically they could be an adequate OL with 3/5. 

Sean Lee, Chidobe Awuzie and Randy Gregory are expected to return week 8.  No idea if anything can save this defense. 

The Dalton experience failed. Anyone at QB has a better shot. Put DiNucci or anyone in there with a game plan similar to what they did for Dak in 2016 (more Zeke). 

Zero chance McCarthy doesn’t get another shot after bizarro Covid year 2020. 

I think we all already know the answer to that question. 

Quick math shows that the Cowboys are about 17 games over .500 for the 25 years since the last Super Bowl appearance (204-187, starting in 1996. Dont shoot me if I'm off by a couple games either way, added them up quick in between zoom meetings; point still stands), with only 10 playoff appearances in that time, and not a single NFC title game appearance. 

Name me one owner who would keep a GM on the payroll for 25 years with that type of mediocrity, let alone for what used to be a premiere NFL franchise. 

This has been going on for 25 years. Jerry's ego won't allow him to do what he should obviously do for the franchise and for the fan base, and hire a real GM (who isn't just a yes-man).  It's a shame. 
I really don't think it has to do with Jerry's ego. I think it has to do with Jerry really liking being GM and making decisions that affect the team on a day to day basis. I am sure Jerry knows he is not a great GM, but he enjoys trying to be a great GM, and since he owns the team, he is going to keep doing what he enjoys. If he enjoyed winning Super Bowls with someone else being GM (like he had with Jimmy Johnson) more than him being GM, he would go back to that model. But he hasn't, so my conclusion is he just really likes being GM. Sucks for Cowboys fans, but it is what it is.

It's like a mediocre poker player who plays in the Main event every year. Could that person stake a really good player and be more profitable? Sure, but they really like the experience of playing with the best, even if they lose, so they keep doing it.

I really don't think it has to do with Jerry's ego. I think it has to do with Jerry really liking being GM and making decisions that affect the team on a day to day basis. I am sure Jerry knows he is not a great GM, but he enjoys trying to be a great GM, and since he owns the team, he is going to keep doing what he enjoys. If he enjoyed winning Super Bowls with someone else being GM (like he had with Jimmy Johnson) more than him being GM, he would go back to that model. But he hasn't, so my conclusion is he just really likes being GM. Sucks for Cowboys fans, but it is what it is.

It's like a mediocre poker player who plays in the Main event every year. Could that person stake a really good player and be more profitable? Sure, but they really like the experience of playing with the best, even if they lose, so they keep doing it.
Possibly, although Jerry has quite obviously taken a major step back in recent years. Im pretty sure he is only a media hype man now. Hes basically flavor flav of the Cowboys. 

What ive noticed in recent years is in the effort to get high character guys they dont have any dogs/alphas on the team. I thought Demarcus Lawrence was that but he isn't.  Both times the Cowboys brought in Greg Hardy and Michael Bennett they immediately took over the locker room. 

I

dhockster said:

Fair point.  I truly believe it won't change until he can't physically do it anymore, or until the dollar-value on the franchise starts to fall and it affects him monetarily. Otherwise he sees no reason to change, even though status quo clearly isnt working.

Would Fitzpatrick be a better target? Out of conference and believe he will he a free agent next year. Bet a deal could be had that would benefit both teams with Dolphins moving on to Tua. Might as well get something for him before we walks in free agency. His mobility would be a big improvement over even a healthy Dalton. 
quite concerned if Ftiz goes to Dallas, he owns Shwartz and the Eagles. luckily the OL has been fool's gold, but man i still think if Fitz goes to Dallas it will bring them right back in the fight for the division

Realistically, I don't see Fitzpatrick being much of an improvement over Dalton.  

The offensive line is decimated and we haven't been right since Frederick went down with guillain-barré.  Tyron Smith is easily out for 4 games annually.  The RT situation has been abysmal.  I might be the only one here to believe this, but Zeke seems checked out.  I love Zeke and always hoped he would be the fixture of our team but if the only way you are able to get 100 yards is with 5 first rounders in front of you... I'm not opposed to moving on from him and would love a situation where we accumulate some picks/linemen/defensive backs and another QB for him, but it seems unlikely.

Dallas has some serious problems.  The way the team is set up right now there is no way they should sign Dak to a long term huge contract. Nothing against Dak at all but the team would not be any better and most likely worse if they sign him, and they will take a huge cap hit.    

They will probably be able to get a top 3 QB in the draft on the cheap for the next 4 years and then draft D, D and more D and sign some D free agents with all the money they save from not bringing Dak back.

Dallas has some serious problems.  The way the team is set up right now there is no way they should sign Dak to a long term huge contract. Nothing against Dak at all but the team would not be any better and most likely worse if they sign him, and they will take a huge cap hit.    

They will probably be able to get a top 3 QB in the draft on the cheap for the next 4 years and then draft D, D and more D and sign some D free agents with all the money they save from not bringing Dak back.
This.

The team is a mess right now. They are paying guys too much money in the wrong spots to be a Super Bowl contender.   It would be painful but I wouldn’t pay Dak, even though they will.  He makes the team better but not a Super Bowl contender, then you have no money for anything else.   They need to rebuild the offensive line, find a pass rusher and fix the secondary just for starters.   Dallas can’t draft anymore WRs, Rbs or TE’s with top picks.  It would take 2 to 3 years of solid drafting but they will be better as a football team to pass on Dak long term.  Dallas may even be good enough to win the division next year with Dak if the team stayed relatively healthy but ultimately they’d lose.  Time to rebuild, don’t put a band aid on this thing and pay Dak or we’ll be here next year with a 8-8 or 9-7 record talking about how bad the defense is and why we can’t run the ball but we don’t have any money to sign anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread