What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lynn Bowden Jr RB/WR/QB Kentucky (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
The Paul Hornung award winner was already their #1 WR when their top QB went down and a couple more transferred.  He finished with 1,468 yards rushing and 13 TDs as a running QB.  People forget how good he was a WR before having to play QB.  I believe he is a better version of Randall Cobb and those with late 2nd and 3rd rd rookie picks in dynasty should take notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy is talented but will need the right landing spot to fully take advantage. A better/way younger Taysom Hill who can be more of a full-time skill player. 

It should be noted that there are some red flags. Got into a fight before his bowl game that almost got him ejected if not for some weird NCAA rules where they only have jurisdiction over what happens in the stadium within an hour of kickoff, and his altercation was 90 minutes prior. He shoved a coach that was trying to save him from himself. So he'll have some questions to answer. 

Guy is talented but will need the right landing spot to fully take advantage. A better/way younger Taysom Hill who can be more of a full-time skill player. 

It should be noted that there are some red flags. Got into a fight before his bowl game that almost got him ejected if not for some weird NCAA rules where they only have jurisdiction over what happens in the stadium within an hour of kickoff, and his altercation was 90 minutes prior. He shoved a coach that was trying to save him from himself. So he'll have some questions to answer. 
That wasn't anything horrible and he has a history of being a team player (obvious by his switch to QB in an emergency), is a devoted father, and has no history of off the field issues that I know of.  You will see just how much of a play maker this guy is.  He's Randall Cobb supercharged.  It's not like he's a player without a position either.  He was a very good WR before having to switch to QB in an emergency.  Talk about selfless.

If he went to a team like BALT I wouldn't mind having him and sticking him at the end of my WR bench. A Jackson injury could propel him into big points on a FF team.

If he went to a team like BALT I wouldn't mind having him and sticking him at the end of my WR bench. A Jackson injury could propel him into big points on a FF team.
He would never play QB in the NFL, nor would he want to.  He’s a WR that had to play QB in an emergency to help the team in need.

Interesting guy for sure.  Looks to be a super athlete on the field, kind of like Terrell Pryor except not as big.  And Bowden is off to a better start as a WR than Pryor ever was.  

Interesting guy for sure.  Looks to be a super athlete on the field, kind of like Terrell Pryor except not as big.  And Bowden is off to a better start as a WR than Pryor ever was.  
Pryor played QB his entire college career.  Bowden played QB for 2-3 months and threw it maybe 5 times per game.  They aren't even remotely the same player.

Pryor played QB his entire college career.  Bowden played QB for 2-3 months and threw it maybe 5 times per game.  They aren't even remotely the same player.
Was comparing their athleticism as a WR, not ability as a QB.  Bowden isn't that at all.  Both used their athleticism to win more than technique because Pryor made the transition later than he probably should have.  Bowden's just had a few years of experience building technique as a WR than Pryor did.  Way ahead of where Pryor was when he made the switch.  

Was comparing their athleticism as a WR, not ability as a QB.  Bowden isn't that at all.  Both used their athleticism to win more than technique because Pryor made the transition later than he probably should have.  Bowden's just had a few years of experience building technique as a WR than Pryor did.  Way ahead of where Pryor was when he made the switch.  
Okay yes now I completely agree with you.  Pryor signing with the Raiders and not getting more development killed his career.

Randall Cobb had a 1200 12 TD season when completely healthy... stop it
As a UK fan I watched every game of Cobb and Bowden and Bowden is a better version of Cobb.  Cobb was the better QB, but that's not what we're talking about here is it?  You stop it.

As a UK fan I watched every game of Cobb and Bowden and Bowden is a better version of Cobb.  Cobb was the better QB, but that's not what we're talking about here is it?  You stop it.
How do you think Bowden's true receiving skills measure up to Cobb?  I read that people are doubting Bowden's top end speed, and if he doesn't have elite speed he hasn't shown anything as a WR to impress.  However, he hits the marks on early special teams production from what i've read ala a Diontae Johnson type.  The open field running is very Cobb-like, but Cobb was a proven WR moreso than Bowden.  The rushing production is hard to measure because UK's O-Line has been elite the last couple years.  Snell isn't elite but ran for a ton of yards.  I don't know how to judge him.

How do you think Bowden's true receiving skills measure up to Cobb?  I read that people are doubting Bowden's top end speed, and if he doesn't have elite speed he hasn't shown anything as a WR to impress.  However, he hits the marks on early special teams production from what i've read ala a Diontae Johnson type.  The open field running is very Cobb-like, but Cobb was a proven WR moreso than Bowden.  The rushing production is hard to measure because UK's O-Line has been elite the last couple years.  Snell isn't elite but ran for a ton of yards.  I don't know how to judge him.
I would not be concerned by this past season for a few reasons: 1) He already had a breakout as a WR. It’s not the ideal age but it was roughly a ~20 y/o breakout. 2) He isn’t the “ideal” height weight combo but he is >26 BMI and taking on the share he did this season proved him durable. 3) Speaking of the share, you will be hard pressed to find any non QB carrying 40% of their offense. Yes, I understand that’s the “position” he ended up playing but that is completely unfair considering he was never a QB and this was done out of total desperation. 4) He did this in the SEC. This wasn’t the ACC or Big 12 he was running through. 

Guy is a hero of the Kentucky faithful and rightfully so. I’m pretty sure the NFL has room for a player like him. 

I would not be concerned by this past season for a few reasons: 1) He already had a breakout as a WR. It’s not the ideal age but it was roughly a ~20 y/o breakout. 2) He isn’t the “ideal” height weight combo but he is >26 BMI and taking on the share he did this season proved him durable. 3) Speaking of the share, you will be hard pressed to find any non QB carrying 40% of their offense. Yes, I understand that’s the “position” he ended up playing but that is completely unfair considering he was never a QB and this was done out of total desperation. 4) He did this in the SEC. This wasn’t the ACC or Big 12 he was running through. 

Guy is a hero of the Kentucky faithful and rightfully so. I’m pretty sure the NFL has room for a player like him. 
He is a player for sure but lets not act like he played in the SEC division that actually plays SEC  football.  Aside  from a close loss to Florida  they played  Georgia and didnt score a point.......and the rest of that diivision isnt even Big 12  or ACC level competition.  

Don't doubt Bowden's speed, that would be a mistake.  Bowden will make a great late 2nd / early 3rd rd pick in rookie drafts.  He may go later in some others.  The team that chooses him should try and get him the ball in the open field, but he has also proven to be dangerous in close as well, as demonstrated by his running ability as an emergency QB.  He will be a nightmare for defenses.   I don't know how much of a fantasy impact he will have early on, probably not much, but the team that decides to take advantage of his play making ability will uncover a gem.  Much like Green Bay did with Cobb.  As a WR in 2018 some notable games he had were 4/79/1 against Florida, 13/166 against Missouri, 6/86/2 against Louisville, and 5/84 against Penn St. in the Citrus Bowl, and he also returned a punt for 58 yards and a TD against Penn St.  

Don't doubt Bowden's speed, that would be a mistake.  Bowden will make a great late 2nd / early 3rd rd pick in rookie drafts.  He may go later in some others.  The team that chooses him should try and get him the ball in the open field, but he has also proven to be dangerous in close as well, as demonstrated by his running ability as an emergency QB.  He will be a nightmare for defenses.   I don't know how much of a fantasy impact he will have early on, probably not much, but the team that decides to take advantage of his play making ability will uncover a gem.  Much like Green Bay did with Cobb.  As a WR in 2018 some notable games he had were 4/79/1 against Florida, 13/166 against Missouri, 6/86/2 against Louisville, and 5/84 against Penn St. in the Citrus Bowl, and he also returned a punt for 58 yards and a TD against Penn St.  
Any time you use  stats against Louisville 2018 as proof a player is good you lose all credibility because you KNOW by the end of the year that team had given up and Petrino had been even fired for quitting on the team.  Plenty of players who suck and will never amount to anything on the football field ever again put up stats against Louisville.  If I remember correctly they ended up dead (or damn near it)  last  in defense in 2018.  Having said all that the kid has talent but he will have to show me something in the NFL  before I would say he is a better version of Cobb.   (and yes Ive watched all of their games in college as well)   Not sure why he is being compared to Cobb anyway?  Cobb actually did play QB his freshman year whereas Bowden played runningback in the qb position this year.  

Here is the 1000-1000 club for career college stats, after removing the high-volume RBs (with 2900+ rushing yards). Featuring Bowden along with Tavon Austin, Percy Harvin, Jaylen Samuels, Dexter McCluster, Randall Cobb, Jalen Hurd, DeAnthony Thomas, Byron Marshall, Theo Riddick, Curtis Samuel, Dri Archer, and 31 other players. Cobb and Paul Dombrowski were the only other triple threats.

Any time you use  stats against Louisville 2018 as proof a player is good you lose all credibility because you KNOW by the end of the year that team had given up and Petrino had been even fired for quitting on the team.  Plenty of players who suck and will never amount to anything on the football field ever again put up stats against Louisville.  If I remember correctly they ended up dead (or damn near it)  last  in defense in 2018.  Having said all that the kid has talent but he will have to show me something in the NFL  before I would say he is a better version of Cobb.   (and yes Ive watched all of their games in college as well)   Not sure why he is being compared to Cobb anyway?  Cobb actually did play QB his freshman year whereas Bowden played runningback in the qb position this year.  
Did I only list Louisville, lol.  Hell, I mentioned some good games in 2018 where he played WR, his main position, and you jump on the Louisville game?  Do you doubt his chops as a WR?  How many games have you watched Bowden?   I'm just saying he is a nice sleeper pick in the late 2nd or 3rd rd of dynasty rookie drafts.  I'm not saying he's Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb.  I've watched all his games and he is a play maker and if used correctly he could be a very nice surprise on fantasy teams.......eventually.  Again, I'd rather have him over the likes of Peoples-Jones or Bryan Edwards if he lands with a good QB and a team that will utilize his skills.

Did I only list Louisville, lol.  Hell, I mentioned some good games in 2018 where he played WR, his main position, and you jump on the Louisville game?  Do you doubt his chops as a WR?  How many games have you watched Bowden?   I'm just saying he is a nice sleeper pick in the late 2nd or 3rd rd of dynasty rookie drafts.  I'm not saying he's Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb.  I've watched all his games and he is a play maker and if used correctly he could be a very nice surprise on fantasy teams.......eventually.  Again, I'd rather have him over the likes of Peoples-Jones or Bryan Edwards if he lands with a good QB and a team that will utilize his skills.
Did you read what I wrote?  I said I watched all of his and  Cobbs games.  He is a good college Wr..... If he gets in the right position he could stick in the NFL...   if not he will be training camp fodder like so many other college players who put up  4/79/1 against florida    or 5/ 84 against Penn State......or the only game he has had that really stands out  13/166  against a mediocre Missouri team.   He is fine as a sleeper  pick but  the only real thing that stood out to me as a player was what he did last year playing running back from the QB position and that ISNT something he is going to do in the NFL.   

Here is the 1000-1000 club for career college stats, after removing the high-volume RBs (with 2900+ rushing yards). Featuring Bowden along with Tavon Austin, Percy Harvin, Jaylen Samuels, Dexter McCluster, Randall Cobb, Jalen Hurd, DeAnthony Thomas, Byron Marshall, Theo Riddick, Curtis Samuel, Dri Archer, and 31 other players. Cobb and Paul Dombrowski were the only other triple threats.
Bowden is not a triple threat.   How he got away with playing almost a year as a running back from the QB position  and doing it so well is definitely a testament to his physical skills however  (and also Kentuckys offensive line was great) 

Did you read what I wrote?  I said I watched all of his and  Cobbs games.  He is a good college Wr..... If he gets in the right position he could stick in the NFL...   if not he will be training camp fodder like so many other college players who put up  4/79/1 against florida    or 5/ 84 against Penn State......or the only game he has had that really stands out  13/166  against a mediocre Missouri team.   He is fine as a sleeper  pick but  the only real thing that stood out to me as a player was what he did last year playing running back from the QB position and that ISNT something he is going to do in the NFL.   
I have a tendency to look at what he was before being forced to play QB and what I saw was someone who is a gifted athlete who can catch the ball.

He had 67/745/5 with a terrible throwing QB in 2018.  Think about that for a minute.  You already know how explosive he is (maybe you don't) and I think has good YAC ability.  With the right QB he could have some Tyreek Hill potential.  Not a bad mid to late 3rd or 4th rd rookie pick in dynasty.  You could do a lot worse.

Talented looking guy who I would give a shot on long before some of the more predictable players like Zach Moss or Van Jefferson. 

Doubt he'll ever be a consistent fantasy factor but LOVE his highlights. The kind of guy that every fan will be excited about if your team takes him in the 4th or so.  Everyone starts imagining screens and option passes and double passes and on and on.  

If he winds up in BAL, SF, KC, I reserve the right to change my mind regarding the fantasy relevance thing.  

Adding him to BAL would be hilarious. Do it DeCosta!

:whistle: ;)

You people are sleeping on Lynn Bowden Jr. 

It's possible.  Might be a weak comparison but seems similar to Antwan Randle El (fwiw, he was one of my favorite players). Good versatile player, can help a team, well see if he can be relevant in FF. 

He's not a QB and doesn't pretend to be.  He had to play QB at Ky in an emergency for most of ONE season.  He's a good WR and is explosive.  Randle El?  I don't think so.  Again, he's a good WR (even with Terry Wilson throwing to him) and how quickly that is forgotten because he had to play emergency QB for a season.  I believe he has a lot of Tyreek Hill in his game.
:shrug:   

Mostly just busting some chops here, I'm actually cheering for the guy.

Nick Farabaugh of Pro Football Network lists Kentucky WR Lynn Bowden was one of the best slot receivers in the class.

Bowden, as you likely remember, spent much of the year as the Wildcats' quarterback, but that won't be where he plays in the NFL -- at least not on a regular basis. "There is no polished technical prowess or route running here, but where Bowden wins is with his quickness, physicality, ball skills, and, most importantly, elusiveness," writes Farabaugh. He also notes that because the 6-foot-1, 199-pound wideout will need to play off the line since he struggles against press coverage. Still, we've seen what Bowden can do with the ball in his hands, and if he's not playing in the boundary, it's easy to see Bowden succeeding at the highest level. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 19, 2020, 2:18 PM ET

Raiders selected Kentucky RB/WR Lynn Bowden with the No. 80 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Note that Bowden was announced as a running back. Bowden (5'11/204) cemented his name as a Kentucky legend with eight school records over his three years with the Wildcats including single-season yards per carry (7.9) and most 100-yard rushing games by a quarterback in school history, finishing with over 1,000 yards in all receiving, rushing and kickoff return categories. Those aren't typical numbers for wide receivers at the next level, but Bowden's Swiss-army knife skillset as a hybrid QB/RB/WR projects him as the next Taysom Hill for any offense willing to get creative. His 34/233/2 rushing line in the Belk Bowl against Louisville will certainly have him on scouts radars. Legendary football executive Gil Brandt ranked Bowden as his No. 44 overall player (and WR7) ahead of the draft.

SOURCE: Scott Bair on Twitter

Apr 24, 2020, 10:34 PM ET

Interesting fit. There definitely room on that offense for playmakers. 

Bowden to backup Jacobs? 

The Raiders have officially listed No. 80 overall pick Lynn Bowden as a running back. 

The Raiders announced the hybrid as such, and GM Mike Mayock has since confirmed it. One of the most unique prospects in recent memory, 5-foot-11, 204-pound Bowden actually served as Kentucky's starting quarterback for the final eight games of 2019 after the Wildcats' first- and second-stringers went down with injury. Bowden was created in a Taysom Hill-laboratory, though he would provide immensely more fantasy value if he was given receiver, or even quarterback, eligibility. At running back, his touches figure to be too unpredictable and sporadic to make him a weekly re-draft option as a rookie.  

SOURCE: Evan Silva on Twitter 

Apr 28, 2020, 3:51 PM ET

Spent a late 2nd round pick on him in my rookie dyno, seems like he has Swiss army knife like utility so should see the field a good amount.

As a Jacobs owner, I had to step back into my rookie draft, he hadn’t been taken and it had got to 3.11 so I sent out my 2021 what I hope will be an equally late 3rd and dived back in and grabbed him. Hopefully be a fun player to own 

Interesting fit. There definitely room on that offense for playmakers. 

Bowden to backup Jacobs? 
Agree that the fit is interesting though it's not immediately clear if this is the best landing spot for a swiss army knife-type player. Either way I think Gruden will find a way to use him. 

He'll be used to spell Jacobs but I see him more the eventual replacement for Richard than Jacobs. Not sure how his blocking skills are, but at the very least being a ST contributor and a 3rd down passing back makes immediate sense.

I could also see him being used as a joker, a position the Raiders had success with in the form of Marcel Reece -- different player in build and skill, but same concept: in a spread with Ruggs, Williams/Edwards, Renfrow, Waller, Witten, look to leverage movement to create a mismatch and find a way to get the ball to Bowden either in space to make something happen or a fly up an open seam. 

It think this also opens up the potential for wildcat/RPO looks, or even just traditional PA plays.

Anything that makes the Raiders O a little more dynamic would be great -- I just hope they don't use him predictably. While guys like Taysom Hill and Cordarrelle Patterson often bust open plays, when they are on the field you know some gadget/trickery is likely going down.

Agree that the fit is interesting though it's not immediately clear if this is the best landing spot for a swiss army knife-type player. Either way I think Gruden will find a way to use him. 

He'll be used to spell Jacobs but I see him more the eventual replacement for Richard than Jacobs. Not sure how his blocking skills are, but at the very least being a ST contributor and a 3rd down passing back makes immediate sense.

I could also see him being used as a joker, a position the Raiders had success with in the form of Marcel Reece -- different player in build and skill, but same concept: in a spread with Ruggs, Williams/Edwards, Renfrow, Waller, Witten, look to leverage movement to create a mismatch and find a way to get the ball to Bowden either in space to make something happen or a fly up an open seam. 

It think this also opens up the potential for wildcat/RPO looks, or even just traditional PA plays.

Anything that makes the Raiders O a little more dynamic would be great -- I just hope they don't use him predictably. While guys like Taysom Hill and Cordarrelle Patterson often bust open plays, when they are on the field you know some gadget/trickery is likely going down.
:goodposting:

I think the extent of his role depends on how he develops as a receiver. He could be a 3-5 primarily manufactured touch/game type or a 10-12ish touch/game ppr machine. They have the baseline for his role already built into their attack. If he proves his worth he will get more, potentially relegating Witten and Renfrow to 3rd down/safety valve roles. 

I'm surprised that he ended up being my most drafted player in rookie drafts, usually for cost of a late third to mid 4th. I'm surprised because my confidence level in him is not high, but I just could not pass a player ranked by many as a top 15-20 WR in a loaded WR class, who ran for over 170 yards per game in 8 games he played mainly QB, who has a solid draft pedigree as RB goes  and I get all of that as like RB13 or so of a rookie draft.

Again I'm not confident in him,  I can't even think of someone who successfully switched from WR or QB to RB in the NFL and had any kind of decent long term fantasy success but I just feel like he's got a lot of stuff going for him that makes him someone I want to take a shot on when the time is right.

He got jersey number 33, they announced he was a RB when they drafted him,  all signs point to him being a RB. I don't think they will move him to WR, at least not for this upcoming season, but if they do his chances of sticking on my teams drops considerably but for his price as a RB I really like taking my shots on him.

Again I'm not confident in him,  I can't even think of someone who successfully switched from WR or QB to RB in the NFL and had any kind of decent long term fantasy success but I just feel like he's got a lot of stuff going for him that makes him someone I want to take a shot on when the time is right.
The bolded is why he is a hard pass for me. Never bet on a horse to do something it's never done before.

Users who are viewing this thread