Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

Lynn Bowden Jr WR Kentucky

The Paul Hornung award winner was already their #1 WR when their top QB went down and a couple more transferred.  He finished with 1,468 yards rushing and 13 TDs as a running QB.  People forget how good he was a WR before having to play QB.  I believe he is a better version of Randall Cobb and those with late 2nd and 3rd rd rookie picks in dynasty should take notice.

Edited by JohnnyU

Guy is talented but will need the right landing spot to fully take advantage. A better/way younger Taysom Hill who can be more of a full-time skill player. 

It should be noted that there are some red flags. Got into a fight before his bowl game that almost got him ejected if not for some weird NCAA rules where they only have jurisdiction over what happens in the stadium within an hour of kickoff, and his altercation was 90 minutes prior. He shoved a coach that was trying to save him from himself. So he'll have some questions to answer. 

41 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Guy is talented but will need the right landing spot to fully take advantage. A better/way younger Taysom Hill who can be more of a full-time skill player. 

It should be noted that there are some red flags. Got into a fight before his bowl game that almost got him ejected if not for some weird NCAA rules where they only have jurisdiction over what happens in the stadium within an hour of kickoff, and his altercation was 90 minutes prior. He shoved a coach that was trying to save him from himself. So he'll have some questions to answer. 

That wasn't anything horrible and he has a history of being a team player (obvious by his switch to QB in an emergency), is a devoted father, and has no history of off the field issues that I know of.  You will see just how much of a play maker this guy is.  He's Randall Cobb supercharged.  It's not like he's a player without a position either.  He was a very good WR before having to switch to QB in an emergency.  Talk about selfless.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 1

If he went to a team like BALT I wouldn't mind having him and sticking him at the end of my WR bench. A Jackson injury could propel him into big points on a FF team.

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

If he went to a team like BALT I wouldn't mind having him and sticking him at the end of my WR bench. A Jackson injury could propel him into big points on a FF team.

He would never play QB in the NFL, nor would he want to.  He’s a WR that had to play QB in an emergency to help the team in need.

Interesting guy for sure.  Looks to be a super athlete on the field, kind of like Terrell Pryor except not as big.  And Bowden is off to a better start as a WR than Pryor ever was.  

12 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

Interesting guy for sure.  Looks to be a super athlete on the field, kind of like Terrell Pryor except not as big.  And Bowden is off to a better start as a WR than Pryor ever was.  

Pryor played QB his entire college career.  Bowden played QB for 2-3 months and threw it maybe 5 times per game.  They aren't even remotely the same player.

2 minutes ago, BINGBING said:

Pryor played QB his entire college career.  Bowden played QB for 2-3 months and threw it maybe 5 times per game.  They aren't even remotely the same player.

Was comparing their athleticism as a WR, not ability as a QB.  Bowden isn't that at all.  Both used their athleticism to win more than technique because Pryor made the transition later than he probably should have.  Bowden's just had a few years of experience building technique as a WR than Pryor did.  Way ahead of where Pryor was when he made the switch.  

• Like 1

Just now, Zyphros said:

Was comparing their athleticism as a WR, not ability as a QB.  Bowden isn't that at all.  Both used their athleticism to win more than technique because Pryor made the transition later than he probably should have.  Bowden's just had a few years of experience building technique as a WR than Pryor did.  Way ahead of where Pryor was when he made the switch.  

Okay yes now I completely agree with you.  Pryor signing with the Raiders and not getting more development killed his career.

Someone compared him to another UK alum Randall Cobb and I feel that’s a pretty close comparison for him as a WR.

8 hours ago, Iceman03 said:

Someone compared him to another UK alum Randall Cobb and I feel that’s a pretty close comparison for him as a WR.

....only a better version of Cobb.

5 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

....only a better version of Cobb.

Randall Cobb had a 1200 12 TD season when completely healthy... stop it

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Randall Cobb had a 1200 12 TD season when completely healthy... stop it

As a UK fan I watched every game of Cobb and Bowden and Bowden is a better version of Cobb.  Cobb was the better QB, but that's not what we're talking about here is it?  You stop it.

Edited by JohnnyU

8 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

As a UK fan I watched every game of Cobb and Bowden and Bowden is a better version of Cobb.  Cobb was the better QB, but that's not what we're talking about here is it?  You stop it.

How do you think Bowden's true receiving skills measure up to Cobb?  I read that people are doubting Bowden's top end speed, and if he doesn't have elite speed he hasn't shown anything as a WR to impress.  However, he hits the marks on early special teams production from what i've read ala a Diontae Johnson type.  The open field running is very Cobb-like, but Cobb was a proven WR moreso than Bowden.  The rushing production is hard to measure because UK's O-Line has been elite the last couple years.  Snell isn't elite but ran for a ton of yards.  I don't know how to judge him.

2 hours ago, BINGBING said:

How do you think Bowden's true receiving skills measure up to Cobb?  I read that people are doubting Bowden's top end speed, and if he doesn't have elite speed he hasn't shown anything as a WR to impress.  However, he hits the marks on early special teams production from what i've read ala a Diontae Johnson type.  The open field running is very Cobb-like, but Cobb was a proven WR moreso than Bowden.  The rushing production is hard to measure because UK's O-Line has been elite the last couple years.  Snell isn't elite but ran for a ton of yards.  I don't know how to judge him.

I would not be concerned by this past season for a few reasons: 1) He already had a breakout as a WR. It’s not the ideal age but it was roughly a ~20 y/o breakout. 2) He isn’t the “ideal” height weight combo but he is >26 BMI and taking on the share he did this season proved him durable. 3) Speaking of the share, you will be hard pressed to find any non QB carrying 40% of their offense. Yes, I understand that’s the “position” he ended up playing but that is completely unfair considering he was never a QB and this was done out of total desperation. 4) He did this in the SEC. This wasn’t the ACC or Big 12 he was running through. 

Guy is a hero of the Kentucky faithful and rightfully so. I’m pretty sure the NFL has room for a player like him. 

1 hour ago, Iceman03 said:

I would not be concerned by this past season for a few reasons: 1) He already had a breakout as a WR. It’s not the ideal age but it was roughly a ~20 y/o breakout. 2) He isn’t the “ideal” height weight combo but he is >26 BMI and taking on the share he did this season proved him durable. 3) Speaking of the share, you will be hard pressed to find any non QB carrying 40% of their offense. Yes, I understand that’s the “position” he ended up playing but that is completely unfair considering he was never a QB and this was done out of total desperation. 4) He did this in the SEC. This wasn’t the ACC or Big 12 he was running through. 

Guy is a hero of the Kentucky faithful and rightfully so. I’m pretty sure the NFL has room for a player like him. 

He is a player for sure but lets not act like he played in the SEC division that actually plays SEC  football.  Aside  from a close loss to Florida  they played  Georgia and didnt score a point.......and the rest of that diivision isnt even Big 12  or ACC level competition.  

9 hours ago, BINGBING said:

Don't doubt Bowden's speed, that would be a mistake.  Bowden will make a great late 2nd / early 3rd rd pick in rookie drafts.  He may go later in some others.  The team that chooses him should try and get him the ball in the open field, but he has also proven to be dangerous in close as well, as demonstrated by his running ability as an emergency QB.  He will be a nightmare for defenses.   I don't know how much of a fantasy impact he will have early on, probably not much, but the team that decides to take advantage of his play making ability will uncover a gem.  Much like Green Bay did with Cobb.  As a WR in 2018 some notable games he had were 4/79/1 against Florida, 13/166 against Missouri, 6/86/2 against Louisville, and 5/84 against Penn St. in the Citrus Bowl, and he also returned a punt for 58 yards and a TD against Penn St.  

Edited by JohnnyU

12 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Don't doubt Bowden's speed, that would be a mistake.  Bowden will make a great late 2nd / early 3rd rd pick in rookie drafts.  He may go later in some others.  The team that chooses him should try and get him the ball in the open field, but he has also proven to be dangerous in close as well, as demonstrated by his running ability as an emergency QB.  He will be a nightmare for defenses.   I don't know how much of a fantasy impact he will have early on, probably not much, but the team that decides to take advantage of his play making ability will uncover a gem.  Much like Green Bay did with Cobb.  As a WR in 2018 some notable games he had were 4/79/1 against Florida, 13/166 against Missouri, 6/86/2 against Louisville, and 5/84 against Penn St. in the Citrus Bowl, and he also returned a punt for 58 yards and a TD against Penn St.  

Any time you use  stats against Louisville 2018 as proof a player is good you lose all credibility because you KNOW by the end of the year that team had given up and Petrino had been even fired for quitting on the team.  Plenty of players who suck and will never amount to anything on the football field ever again put up stats against Louisville.  If I remember correctly they ended up dead (or damn near it)  last  in defense in 2018.  Having said all that the kid has talent but he will have to show me something in the NFL  before I would say he is a better version of Cobb.   (and yes Ive watched all of their games in college as well)   Not sure why he is being compared to Cobb anyway?  Cobb actually did play QB his freshman year whereas Bowden played runningback in the qb position this year.  

Here is the 1000-1000 club for career college stats, after removing the high-volume RBs (with 2900+ rushing yards). Featuring Bowden along with Tavon Austin, Percy Harvin, Jaylen Samuels, Dexter McCluster, Randall Cobb, Jalen Hurd, DeAnthony Thomas, Byron Marshall, Theo Riddick, Curtis Samuel, Dri Archer, and 31 other players. Cobb and Paul Dombrowski were the only other triple threats.

1 hour ago, da_budman said:

Any time you use  stats against Louisville 2018 as proof a player is good you lose all credibility because you KNOW by the end of the year that team had given up and Petrino had been even fired for quitting on the team.  Plenty of players who suck and will never amount to anything on the football field ever again put up stats against Louisville.  If I remember correctly they ended up dead (or damn near it)  last  in defense in 2018.  Having said all that the kid has talent but he will have to show me something in the NFL  before I would say he is a better version of Cobb.   (and yes Ive watched all of their games in college as well)   Not sure why he is being compared to Cobb anyway?  Cobb actually did play QB his freshman year whereas Bowden played runningback in the qb position this year.  

Did I only list Louisville, lol.  Hell, I mentioned some good games in 2018 where he played WR, his main position, and you jump on the Louisville game?  Do you doubt his chops as a WR?  How many games have you watched Bowden?   I'm just saying he is a nice sleeper pick in the late 2nd or 3rd rd of dynasty rookie drafts.  I'm not saying he's Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb.  I've watched all his games and he is a play maker and if used correctly he could be a very nice surprise on fantasy teams.......eventually.  Again, I'd rather have him over the likes of Peoples-Jones or Bryan Edwards if he lands with a good QB and a team that will utilize his skills.

Edited by JohnnyU

2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Did I only list Louisville, lol.  Hell, I mentioned some good games in 2018 where he played WR, his main position, and you jump on the Louisville game?  Do you doubt his chops as a WR?  How many games have you watched Bowden?   I'm just saying he is a nice sleeper pick in the late 2nd or 3rd rd of dynasty rookie drafts.  I'm not saying he's Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb.  I've watched all his games and he is a play maker and if used correctly he could be a very nice surprise on fantasy teams.......eventually.  Again, I'd rather have him over the likes of Peoples-Jones or Bryan Edwards if he lands with a good QB and a team that will utilize his skills.

Did you read what I wrote?  I said I watched all of his and  Cobbs games.  He is a good college Wr..... If he gets in the right position he could stick in the NFL...   if not he will be training camp fodder like so many other college players who put up  4/79/1 against florida    or 5/ 84 against Penn State......or the only game he has had that really stands out  13/166  against a mediocre Missouri team.   He is fine as a sleeper  pick but  the only real thing that stood out to me as a player was what he did last year playing running back from the QB position and that ISNT something he is going to do in the NFL.   

3 hours ago, ZWK said:

Here is the 1000-1000 club for career college stats, after removing the high-volume RBs (with 2900+ rushing yards). Featuring Bowden along with Tavon Austin, Percy Harvin, Jaylen Samuels, Dexter McCluster, Randall Cobb, Jalen Hurd, DeAnthony Thomas, Byron Marshall, Theo Riddick, Curtis Samuel, Dri Archer, and 31 other players. Cobb and Paul Dombrowski were the only other triple threats.

Bowden is not a triple threat.   How he got away with playing almost a year as a running back from the QB position  and doing it so well is definitely a testament to his physical skills however  (and also Kentuckys offensive line was great) 

7 hours ago, da_budman said:

Did you read what I wrote?  I said I watched all of his and  Cobbs games.  He is a good college Wr..... If he gets in the right position he could stick in the NFL...   if not he will be training camp fodder like so many other college players who put up  4/79/1 against florida    or 5/ 84 against Penn State......or the only game he has had that really stands out  13/166  against a mediocre Missouri team.   He is fine as a sleeper  pick but  the only real thing that stood out to me as a player was what he did last year playing running back from the QB position and that ISNT something he is going to do in the NFL.   

I have a tendency to look at what he was before being forced to play QB and what I saw was someone who is a gifted athlete who can catch the ball.

Posted (edited)

He had 67/745/5 with a terrible throwing QB in 2018.  Think about that for a minute.  You already know how explosive he is (maybe you don't) and I think has good YAC ability.  With the right QB he could have some Tyreek Hill potential.  Not a bad mid to late 3rd or 4th rd rookie pick in dynasty.  You could do a lot worse.

Edited by JohnnyU