What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020: Centennial Slate (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Well, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced 3/4 of its' inductees earlier this week by selecting the 15 members of the Centennial Slate:

Coaches-Bill Cowher, Jimmy W. Johnson

Contributors-Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, George Young

Seniors-Harold Carmichael, Jim Covert, Bobby Dillon, Cliff Harris, Winston Hill, Alex Karras, Donnie Shell, Duke Slater, Mac Speedie, Ed Sprinkle

Now, here the remaining 15 Modern-Era Finalists that are eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020:

Steve Atwater

Tony Boselli

Isaac Bruce

LeRoy Butler

Alan Faneca

Torry Holt

Steve Hutchinson

Edgerrin James

John Lynch

Sam Mills

Troy Polamalu

Richard Seymour

Zach Thomas

Reggie Wayne

Bryant Young

Out of the 15 Modern-Era Finalists, only 5 will make join the 15 members of the Centennial Slate to make up the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020, so I have a couple of questions.  First, does everyone agree with the Centennial Slate of this year's class?  And second, which five Modern-Era Finalists will complete the Class of 2020?

Not the best group ever

Zach Thomas, Steve Hutchinson, John Lynch, Troy Poloamalu, Alan Faneca

Coaches-Bill Cowher, Jimmy W. Johnson
I would have voted for Coryell and Holmgren ahead of both Johnson and Cowher, but especially Cowher. Given he wasn't in this class, I guess it appears Coryell will never make it, and IMO that is a travesty.

Contributors-Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, George Young
Agree with all of these.

Seniors-Harold Carmichael, Jim Covert, Bobby Dillon, Cliff Harris, Winston Hill, Alex Karras, Donnie Shell, Duke Slater, Mac Speedie, Ed Sprinkle
I don't really have a problem with Shell and Harris, though I also don't think they were egregiously missed in the past. I don't think Carmichael or Covert deserve it. I don't know enough about the rest of these guys to have informed comments about them, though I am skeptical about their worthiness based on the ones with whom I am familiar.

It is really too bad that guys like Leroy Butler, who IMO is HOF worthy but will apparently never make it through the normal voting process, were not eligible here. IMO he is a much more compelling candidate than every former player on the centennial list. And he isn't the only one... Atwater is another.

Now, here the remaining 15 Modern-Era Finalists that are eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020:

Steve Atwater

Tony Boselli

Isaac Bruce

LeRoy Butler

Alan Faneca

Torry Holt

Steve Hutchinson

Edgerrin James

John Lynch

Sam Mills

Troy Polamalu

Richard Seymour

Zach Thomas

Reggie Wayne

Bryant Young
From the list of 25 semifinalists, these were the guys in my first tier:

• Ronde Barber
  • Tony Boselli
  • Isaac Bruce
  • Alan Faneca
  • Torry Holt
  • Troy Polamalu
  • Zach Thomas
I had indicated that, limited to 5, I would let Faneca and Holt slide to next year. But Barber didn't make the cut (which reflects poorly on the voters IMO). With Bruce already in my class, I'll hold Faneca in and let Holt slide. So my class would be:

• Tony Boselli
  • Isaac Bruce
  • Alan Faneca
  • Troy Polamalu
  • Zach Thomas
I feel pretty confident that Bruce, Faneca, and Polamalu will make it. Less confident the voters will choose Boselli and Thomas. I'm afraid they will vote Lynch in over one of those guys, and I don't even think Lynch is deserving right now, based on my view that Butler, Atwater, and Rodney Harrison, who hasn't ever even been a serious candidate, are all more deserving. But the media fawns over Lynch, so it seems inevitable he will make it. And, frankly, adding Harris and Shell to the HOF only strengthens Lynch's case for making it.

Bruce, Atwater, Polamalu and E. James all in so far, per Twitter. No word yet on the 5th. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Only Polamalu seemed clear cut.  Though hutch and faneca probably should have been, difficult for guards.  The rest are all really good but not obvious that they need to be in.

Liked Edgerrin James & Isaac Bruce, if only from an FF point of view.
Was very happy that Edge and Bruce got in. 

Edge was a dominant all-purpose RB that excelled in the running and passing game.    Bruce was a consummate route-runner and clutch performer.   

No concerns with any of the HOF selections.  

Only Polamalu seemed clear cut.  Though hutch and faneca probably should have been, difficult for guards.  The rest are all really good but not obvious that they need to be in.
Expect with Hutchinson in, that Faneca goes next year.  Hard to get two guards in in one year, but both worthy selections.

Its close but i wouldn't call it a joke. 

Atwater started in 3 SBs, winning 2 and could have been MVP of XXXII, where Butler started in 2 (1-1).  Butler 2 more 1st team all-pros, Atwater had a 4 more pro-bowls.  Both were first team all 90's.

These two are close - Butler will get his time.
Agreed.  As a fellow Broncos fan, I am not exactly impartial, but I feel that both Atwater and Butler should have both been in before now.  Butler's day will come. 

Atwater over Butler is a joke
Not at all. Atwater had a Hof career either way as Ed Reed alluded to last year, but even beyond that I'm not sure Denver beats the packers in SB 32 without atwater's play. He had an amazing career and was one of the best safeties to ever play

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Atwater is deserving, but I do think Butler > Atwater.

I don't understand what prompted the committee to vote Atwater in this year, when he has been eligible for 15 years. Better late than never, I suppose.

I agree Atwater is deserving, but I do think Butler > Atwater.

I don't understand what prompted the committee to vote Atwater in this year, when he has been eligible for 15 years. Better late than never, I suppose.
Honestly, I think the Broncos have finally figured out how to play the PR game.  They brought Atwater in to do pre-game media stuff, he has been out in front on social media all year.  I think things like this certainly helped keep him in the public consciousness.

Users who are viewing this thread