Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Commish

Florida Politics

Anyone else here holding their kids out of school even if they decide to open back up May 1?

43 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Anyone else here holding their kids out of school even if they decide to open back up May 1?

I’ll wait to see what actual plan emerges, but I can’t imagine feeling confident enough to do so in two weeks

11 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I’ll wait to see what actual plan emerges, but I can’t imagine feeling confident enough to do so in two weeks

I guess this is fair.  Our kids' school is saying they will stay closed if at all possible....time will tell.

Posted (edited)

DeSantis was saying just a couple of weeks ago that kids attending even the last two weeks of the school year would be meaningful. Really? How so? Like WWE, I’m not sure it’s meaningful at this juncture. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

DeSantis was saying just a couple of weeks ago that kids attending even the last two weeks of the school year would be meaningful. Really? How so? Like WWE, I’m not sure it’s meaningful at this juncture. 

It's not

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I think it would be exactly as meaningful as keeping the WWE open

• Like 1

I was thinking a good plan for the fall might be to have students attend every other day to keep them connected but to keep everyone socially distanced by keeping class numbers low. We could probably do 12 kids a classroom and maintain six feet distancing. All supplies and equipment needs to either come from home or be that students for the year. PE equipment could be washed after every use (I'm thinking at the beginning of class a student gets a clean basketball, at the end they have to submerge in a basin of soapy water and scrub it off before putting it on a drying rack). That's their ball for the class. Same with a jump rope or paint brushes. Computer keyboards need to be wiped off with lysol wipes after every class. Ask students to help out with disinfecting before and after usage.

It could be done but with a ton of pre-planning. We could ease back into things slowly. My students just seemed so down in our class meetings. I said I had nothing else for them, did they want to end the zoom session and they begged to keep it up just so they could talk.

41 minutes ago, JamieMurphy said:

I was thinking a good plan for the fall might be to have students attend every other day to keep them connected but to keep everyone socially distanced by keeping class numbers low. We could probably do 12 kids a classroom and maintain six feet distancing. All supplies and equipment needs to either come from home or be that students for the year. PE equipment could be washed after every use (I'm thinking at the beginning of class a student gets a clean basketball, at the end they have to submerge in a basin of soapy water and scrub it off before putting it on a drying rack). That's their ball for the class. Same with a jump rope or paint brushes. Computer keyboards need to be wiped off with lysol wipes after every class. Ask students to help out with disinfecting before and after usage.

It could be done but with a ton of pre-planning. We could ease back into things slowly. My students just seemed so down in our class meetings. I said I had nothing else for them, did they want to end the zoom session and they begged to keep it up just so they could talk.

The social part is definitely getting to my kids.  I have three, so they can generally entertain each other, but they are getting tired of each other.  I've eased the restrictions on video games a bit too.  My oldest son gets on and just talks to his friends some times.  I'll get on with him and he'll be playing one game and his friend another...they just want to interact with each other.

In Demark, they first opened up schools and nurseries for those who are 11 and under. Parents with small children, who can't WFH, need this to go back to work. Transmission in daycare is inevitable, so how are the teachers, aids, parents, siblings and others protected? Frequent testing of the kids and teachers?

I don’t make a habit of defending DeSantis, but this story about his WWE decision being tied to Linda McMahon’s SuperPAC announcing they would spend $18M in Florida makes no sense. If a SuperPAC spends money it doesn’t go to the governor, it goes to TV stations or Facebook or maybe staffers’ salaries. And they’re presumably spending it because Florida is an important swing state, not to curry favor with DeSantis. 

The WWE decision is dumb, and maybe there’s some corrupt reason behind it. But I’m having a hard time seeing this McMahon thing being the explanation

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I don't think Florida schools reopen until August at the earliest. What, do they go back for two weeks before Memorial Day and then spend the next 2.5 months off again? Sure, let's let kids pass around whatever germs they might have! What could possibly go wrong with that?

Yay Jacksonville 😷

• Like 1

That sounds like a bad idea that will very likely backfire.

26 minutes ago, Kal El said:

That sounds like a bad idea that will very likely backfire.

I honestly don’t know. In theory beaches are an outdoor space where people should be able to maintain social distancing and not have to interact with each other. Will that actually happen? I hope so, but I could easily see it going badly. 

I should note that, the weekend before all those idiot spring breakers made the news last month, my family went to the beach and had a great socially distant experience. On the other hand, there were people near us celebrating a child’s birthday party in a large group with senior citizens present. So it really could go either way

1 minute ago, zftcg said:

I honestly don’t know. In theory beaches are an outdoor space where people should be able to maintain social distancing and not have to interact with each other. Will that actually happen? I hope so, but I could easily see it going badly. 

I should note that, the weekend before all those idiot spring breakers made the news last month, my family went to the beach and had a great socially distant experience. On the other hand, there were people near us celebrating a child’s birthday party in a large group with senior citizens present. So it really could go either way

I think the minute they open the beaches, everybody and their aunt Shirley will be there packed like sardines, and bad things are likely to happen.

1 minute ago, Kal El said:

I think the minute they open the beaches, everybody and their aunt Shirley will be there packed like sardines, and bad things are likely to happen.

Yes that was my thought as well. I wonder if they’ll put something in place to limit total people on the beach at any one time. Like force everyone to arrive and leave through a few places so they can keep tabs

2 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Yes that was my thought as well. I wonder if they’ll put something in place to limit total people on the beach at any one time. Like force everyone to arrive and leave through a few places so they can keep tabs

I know here on the Treasure Coast, beaches have relatively small parking lots, but people cram in there as much as they can. I don't think this will work out well until a vaccine is made.

Posted (edited)

For a period of weeks here on the space coast, they refused to shut down the beaches and by all accounts they were able to keep distancing guidelines in place.  Reality is, this state is already in "phase 1".  We were never completely shut down.  

Here the beaches were open, but to mitigate crowds, they'd shut down the parks and parking lots.  

ETA:  Regardless of the decisions made by the state, we are staying put for at least this month and next while the kids are doing their schooling.

Edited by The Commish

12 hours ago, Kal El said:

I know here on the Treasure Coast, beaches have relatively small parking lots, but people cram in there as much as they can. I don't think this will work out well until a vaccine is made.

I may be giving Duvall County officials entirely too much credit, but I have to assume that there is a difference between saying at the beginning of the pandemic, "We are not closing the beaches yet and are keeping things as they've been" and saying after a month of lockdown "We are going to try to reopen the beaches with all eyes on us." I just can't imagine they don't at least have a plan to maintain social distancing. It may not work, but they have to realize that if they just pretend everything is back to normal they will literally have blood on their hands.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zftcg said:

I may be giving Duvall County officials entirely too much credit, but I have to assume that there is a difference between saying at the beginning of the pandemic, "We are not closing the beaches yet and are keeping things as they've been" and saying after a month of lockdown "We are going to try to reopen the beaches with all eyes on us." I just can't imagine they don't at least have a plan to maintain social distancing. It may not work, but they have to realize that if they just pretend everything is back to normal they will literally have blood on their hands.

OK, ignore everything I said. They’re idiots

3 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Meanwhile, Gov. DeSantis seems to have skipped “Mask Wearing 101” at Harvard :doh:

I don't understand his latest plan where he says he's leaving the opening of parks up to local municipalities while leaving all of the state parks closed. He's put all of the decision making on his new "task force" and looks forward to listening to them??

Posted (edited)

Wow. So now DeSantis saying not sending kids back to school for a couple of weeks is a good idea contrasting what he said a few weeks ago where he thought it would be meaningful. Awesome. Kids missing their friends needs to be dealt with. 

Edited by Osaurus

20 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Wow. So now DeSantis saying not sending kids back to school for a couple of weeks is a good idea contrasting what he said a few weeks ago where he thought it would be meaningful. Awesome. Kids missing their friends needs to be dealt with. 

Miami-Dade just announced schools are closed for the rest of the year

1 minute ago, zftcg said:

Miami-Dade just announced schools are closed for the rest of the year

Right. A couple of days ago like pretty much everywhere else. Maybe he’s behind the news cycle in FL. 

2 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Any suggestions on keeping kids connected other than zoom? I’m doing fun zooms with games. Trivia challenges, with teams and brackets? I’ll do it all summer I don’t care, hate seeing the kids so bummed out. 

42 minutes ago, JamieMurphy said:

Any suggestions on keeping kids connected other than zoom? I’m doing fun zooms with games. Trivia challenges, with teams and brackets? I’ll do it all summer I don’t care, hate seeing the kids so bummed out. 

Sorry. I don’t have kids, but best of luck. 

21 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Sorry. I don’t have kids, but best of luck. 

I think he was asking as a teacher

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Our kids have a friend or two over each week.  We know all the parents and we have a mutual trust among all of us.  However, my kids were NOT going back to school for just two - three weeks at the end of the year, so I'm glad he made that decision.

DeSantis identifies COVID-19 nursing homes. Too bad it’s too little, too late | Editorial

Definitely hypocritical. And the industry has many politicians in their pockets.

>> DeSantis said that when he ordered health officials to release the names, that they were to “do it as soon as possible. It’s not something we want to wait around on.”

Of course, it’s hypocritical for DeSantis to try to suddenly sound pro-active. He did “wait around.” <<

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Our kids have a friend or two over each week.  We know all the parents and we have a mutual trust among all of us.  However, my kids were NOT going back to school for just two - three weeks at the end of the year, so I'm glad he made that decision.

He was pressured to “order it” after many school districts already made the decision for him. 

Edited by Osaurus

I can't get a handle on DeSantis. During the campaign I had him pegged as an empty suit, destined to host his own Fox News show after he lost to Gillum. After he won, I was pleasantly surprised by his first year in office, and was forced to reassess my opinion of him. I thought maybe he was a canny political operator who used all the Trumpy stuff to get elected but mostly governed as a bog-issue conservative Republican, with some of the rhetorical edges sanded off; not unlike George W. Bush when he was governor of Texas.

With this pandemic, though, he neither comes across as competent nor ideological, he just seems weirdly passive. I don't see any pattern in his actions, other than always seeming a step or two behind the curve. I don't know what motivated decisions like the WWE exemption; it just seems odd.

10 hours ago, zftcg said:

I can't get a handle on DeSantis. During the campaign I had him pegged as an empty suit, destined to host his own Fox News show after he lost to Gillum. After he won, I was pleasantly surprised by his first year in office, and was forced to reassess my opinion of him. I thought maybe he was a canny political operator who used all the Trumpy stuff to get elected but mostly governed as a bog-issue conservative Republican, with some of the rhetorical edges sanded off; not unlike George W. Bush when he was governor of Texas.

With this pandemic, though, he neither comes across as competent nor ideological, he just seems weirdly passive. I don't see any pattern in his actions, other than always seeming a step or two behind the curve. I don't know what motivated decisions like the WWE exemption; it just seems odd.

I'm with you on this one and have been thinking about it for some time.  I think the decisions were made for him by locals because he paused.  We'll learn more about his character the first time a new hotspot shows up and it's traced back to Florida.  Rubber meets the road at that point.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 8:40 AM, zftcg said:

OK, ignore everything I said. They’re idiots

Ok I may have been a bit hasty. Reading more about the rules in place, it sounds like they are imposing strict rules: limited hours, social distancing, and no lingering on the beach. Most of the people in that photo I linked to appear to have been walking. 

I’m going to do what I should have done all along and say that I’ll wait and see how it goes before making any judgments. I’m not inherently opposed to slowly opening things back up. Hopefully we can learn some lessons about what is and is not necessary without endangering public health. I just really hope they don’t screw it up

DeSantis handpicked task force is loaded with Republicans and big shot biz people.

Not included Monday was Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, the state’s top elected Democrat. She called her lack of involvement “deeply concerning" considering the effects of COVID-19 on the state’s second-largest industry only behind tourism.

Members of the Re-Open Florida Task Force

Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñez

Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis

Attorney General Ashley Moody

Senate President Bill Galvano

House Speaker José Oliva

Sen. Wilton Simpson, president-designate, Florida Senate

Rep. Chris Sprowls, speaker-designate, Florida House

Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran

Jamal Sowell, president & CEO, Enterprise Florida, Inc.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez

Broward County Mayor Dale Holness

Palm Beach County Mayor David Kerner

John Couris, president & CEO, Tampa General Hospital

Josh D’Amaro, president, Walt Disney World Resort

Todd Jones, CEO, Publix Super Markets

Syd Kitson, chairman, Board of Governors for the State University System

Paul Reilly, chairman & CEO, Raymond James Financial

Alex Sanchez, president & CEO, Florida Bankers Association

Eric Silagy, president & CEO, Florida Power & Light Company

John Sprouls, CEO, Universal Orlando Resort, Executive Vice President, Universal Parks & Resorts

Patrick Sunderlin, vice president, Global Supply Chain, Lockheed Martin Corporation

Joe York, president, AT&T Florida and Caribbean

4 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

DeSantis handpicked task force is loaded with Republicans and big shot biz people.

Not included Monday was Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, the state’s top elected Democrat. She called her lack of involvement “deeply concerning" considering the effects of COVID-19 on the state’s second-largest industry only behind tourism.

Members of the Re-Open Florida Task Force

Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñez

Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis

Attorney General Ashley Moody

Senate President Bill Galvano

House Speaker José Oliva

Sen. Wilton Simpson, president-designate, Florida Senate

Rep. Chris Sprowls, speaker-designate, Florida House

Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran

Jamal Sowell, president & CEO, Enterprise Florida, Inc.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez

Broward County Mayor Dale Holness

Palm Beach County Mayor David Kerner

John Couris, president & CEO, Tampa General Hospital

Josh D’Amaro, president, Walt Disney World Resort

Todd Jones, CEO, Publix Super Markets

Syd Kitson, chairman, Board of Governors for the State University System

Paul Reilly, chairman & CEO, Raymond James Financial

Alex Sanchez, president & CEO, Florida Bankers Association

Eric Silagy, president & CEO, Florida Power & Light Company

John Sprouls, CEO, Universal Orlando Resort, Executive Vice President, Universal Parks & Resorts

Patrick Sunderlin, vice president, Global Supply Chain, Lockheed Martin Corporation

Joe York, president, AT&T Florida and Caribbean

I get the impression Florida is going to be one of the next few states to open up in some regard. 

On 4/19/2020 at 8:14 PM, The Commish said:

I'm with you on this one and have been thinking about it for some time.  I think the decisions were made for him by locals because he paused.  We'll learn more about his character the first time a new hotspot shows up and it's traced back to Florida.  Rubber meets the road at that point.

Important state for Trump in the fall, he better hope everything goes smoothly or it will carry uphill to the general.

• Like 1

Just now, Leroy Hoard said:

Important state for Trump in the fall, he better hope everything goes smoothly or it will carry uphill to the general.

We've been what many would consider relatively "open".  It's just that the things that are closed are REALLY BIG things like hotels and parks.  Restaurants are still open for take out etc. 

26 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

I get the impression Florida is going to be one of the next few states to open up in some regard. 

I’m expecting this Friday tbh

• Like 1

Good overview of Florida's current numbers. 

Of course, it's always a good idea to take any numbers you hear with a grain of salt, especially when you're talking about ratios with high MOEs around both the numerator and denominator.

2 hours ago, zftcg said:

Good overview of Florida's current numbers. 

Of course, it's always a good idea to take any numbers you hear with a grain of salt, especially when you're talking about ratios with high MOEs around both the numerator and denominator.

should be noted that "total tests" isn't on unique individuals.  We still don't have a handle on that, and I understand why to an extent, but we aren't at 1% of the population.

Trump is doing a press conference today with DeSantis at 11:30 AM EST.

Posted (edited)

Gov is going to announce his re-opening plan 2 days after he said he had no plan for after May 1st. A terrific plan. The best plan. 

Edited by Osaurus

DeSantis is speaking now if you’re interested. He had some input from Jared Kushner so be afraid.

50 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

DeSantis is speaking now if you’re interested. He had some input from Jared Kushner so be afraid.

So it'll be a disaster. Duly noted.

Posted (edited)

Expanded testing, 25% capacity for retailers, and outdoor seating with social distancing measures in place for restaurants are what the Governor was saying today. 

ETA: Outside of Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade iirc

Edited by Osaurus