Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Commish

Florida Politics

21 hours ago, Osaurus said:

I’d say it legitimizes Florida residents voting for change and it actually happening. A good start imo. 

It's pissing off a lot of the locals here it seems, which is odd given how much our area voted for the amendment...something doesn't seem right.  Is there ever a time you guys who have been here for a while have ever felt like you had a good read on the state?  It seems impossible :lmao:  

That's movie quality stuff right there :lmao:

Not much on the details of her claim of being asked to mess with data or not though...guess that doesn't generate the clicks :kicksrock: 

34 minutes ago, The Commish said:

That's movie quality stuff right there :lmao:

Not much on the details of her claim of being asked to mess with data or not though...guess that doesn't generate the clicks :kicksrock: 

She’s got a GoFundMe site up and running per her LinkedIn feed. She needs to move far away from FL if she wants a job.  

DeSantis now has until June 26 to veto SB 646, which grants Florida college athletes their NIL rights beginning next summer. Seems that he's been pretty supportive so far.

2 hours ago, Kal El said:

It's about time. We voted to change that years ago, because if someone's paid their debt to society, why shouldn't they get to vote now?

Don't disagree at all.  I'm just wondering what we think this does to the "color" of the state.  Between this and all the people from Puerto Rico, it feels like the approach to this state has to change.  So far, I've seen the same old same old "might is right" shtick out of the GOP and haven't seen much at all from Biden.  Though, I HAVE seen a couple of the Lincoln Project ads in the last few weeks.  What about you guys in other parts of the state?

DeSantis has signed SB 646. Now it's up to Congress to do 1. nothing 3. something great or 4. something awful. I'm almost hoping they'll ignore the NCAA and do nothing, then the ensuing chaos will give us the best chance of bringing down the rotten system.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

DeSantis has signed SB 646. Now it's up to Congress to do 1. nothing 3. something great or 4. something awful. I'm almost hoping they'll ignore the NCAA and do nothing, then the ensuing chaos will give us the best chance of bringing down the rotten system.

For those not following sports all that closely, this is about college kids making money on their likeness etc...the vote margin is pretty shocking to me.  The current federal GOP would be furious if they really cared.

Summary:

The bill authorizes an intercollegiate athlete at a postsecondary educational institution to earn compensation for the use of her or his name, image, or likeness (NIL), and prohibits a postsecondary institution from preventing an athlete from earning NIL compensation. In addition, the bill prohibits a postsecondary institution, and specified entities and individuals associated with a postsecondary institution, from compensating or causing compensation to be directed to a current or prospective athlete for her or his NIL.

The bill prohibits an athlete from entering into a contract for NIL compensation if a term of the contract conflicts with a term of the athlete’s team contract. The bill requires an athlete who enters into a contract for NIL compensation to disclose the contract to the postsecondary institution at which she or he is enrolled.

The bill prohibits a postsecondary institution from preventing or unduly restricting an athlete from obtaining professional representation by an appropriately licensed or registered athlete agent or attorney for the purpose of securing NIL compensation. The bill specifies that grant-in-aid awarded to an athlete by a postsecondary institution may not be reduced as a result of an athlete earning compensation or obtaining professional representation for the purposes of NIL.

The bill requires each postsecondary institution to conduct a financial literacy and life skills workshop at the beginning of the athlete’s first and third academic years, with specified stipulations.

If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2021.

Vote: Senate 37-2; House 98-14

I’m now an official resident of Florida!

We moved here about a month ago and today was the earliest appointment we could get for driver’s licenses and car registrations. I have to say it’s pretty cool to be able to get the license and plates right away rather than have them mailed.

We also registered to vote and are looking forward to being able to do it by mail (or dropping it off in person). We’re still getting settled but I plan to look up the local Democratic Party and see what volunteer opportunities there are. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blue Dot Orange Dot said:

We moved here about a month ago and today was the earliest appointment we could get for driver’s licenses and car registrations. I have to say it’s pretty cool to be able to get the license and plates right away rather than have them mailed.

We also registered to vote and are looking forward to being able to do it by mail (or dropping it off in person). We’re still getting settled but I plan to look up the local Democratic Party and see what volunteer opportunities there are. 

Welcome!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blue Dot Orange Dot said:

Welcome to the crazy GB....where you located?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Commish said:

Welcome to the crazy GB....where you located?

We’re in St. Pete. People laugh when we tell them it’s nice to be somewhere not as hot - we came from Dallas. Yes, it’s more humid here but with a slight breeze (or not) it’s not bad walking around when it’s 90. 

I had heard about the "white power" video, but never saw it or heard it...had no idea it was here in The Villages...why am I not surprised?  :lol:

On a side note, I am absolutely SHOCKED that this covid stuff hasn't completely decimated that "neighborhood"  

3 hours ago, The Commish said:

I had heard about the "white power" video, but never saw it or heard it...had no idea it was here in The Villages...why am I not surprised?  :lol:
On a side note, I am absolutely SHOCKED that this covid stuff hasn't completely decimated that "neighborhood"  

I'm generally not in the business of defending guys like that, but I will say that I think it was more a horribly misguided attempt at trolling than it was a genuine expression of racial animus. Like the woman was saying he was a racist for supporting Trump and he was saying, "Yeah, sure I am. White power!" But obviously, it's an incredibly stupid and offensive thing to say in any context.

As for the Villages and Covid, I'm with you. I expected things to be really bad (I believe I even posted something to that effect upthread), but whatever criticisms you may have of DeSantis (and I have plenty), he has generally done a good job of protecting the elderly. Even now, with positive cases exploding, the median age continues dropping, which doesn't assuage all my concerns but at least suggests we're not going to see a replay of what happened in New York in April.

2 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I'm generally not in the business of defending guys like that, but I will say that I think it was more a horribly misguided attempt at trolling than it was a genuine expression of racial animus. Like the woman was saying he was a racist for supporting Trump and he was saying, "Yeah, sure I am. White power!" But obviously, it's an incredibly stupid and offensive thing to say in any context.

As for the Villages and Covid, I'm with you. I expected things to be really bad (I believe I even posted something to that effect upthread), but whatever criticisms you may have of DeSantis (and I have plenty), he has generally done a good job of protecting the elderly. Even now, with positive cases exploding, the median age continues dropping, which doesn't assuage all my concerns but at least suggests we're not going to see a replay of what happened in New York in April.

I've said here and elsewhere that I was generally approving in the approach.  Problem I have now is, it seems to be all for not.  It's easy for him to follow the plan when it's going the direction he wants and fits his narrative nicely.  Now?  It seems to be all that time/effort spent on testing is going to end up being a big waste of time.  What's the point in doing all that groundwork if you aren't going to build on it when the time comes?  We have all the information at our fingertips and all the sirens, bells and whistles are going off, yet nothing.  This is going to end up a big waste of resources and tax dollars because he seems to be choosing to stick with the narrative even when it diverges from the science.  I'm not surprised but disappointed.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

It feels like the state government is just saying "#### it, we're going scorched earth!!!!

Pretty much. This reeks of a bad idea, because if the virus starts to affect kids more, that's going to be a complete disaster.

My life floats between my town of Debary and Orange City/Deland.  Both Orange City and Deland have issued "REQUIRED masks when indoors" policies in the last week.  I don't know about Deland, but in Orange City it comes with fines.

I really appreciate that our governor is attempting his best Trump impersonation during this crisis.  Such great leadership.  

6 hours ago, The Commish said:

My life floats between my town of Debary and Orange City/Deland.  Both Orange City and Deland have issued "REQUIRED masks when indoors" policies in the last week.  I don't know about Deland, but in Orange City it comes with fines.

In my small (5K) town in North Dade, my neighbor was walking down our main street the other day and saw a couple get fined for being out in public without masks. I've been using that when I'm out and see people without masks. I can tell people, "Hey, be careful. I wouldn't want you to get fined." Which is way nicer than what I really want to say: "USE A #$%&$ING MASK, YOU GERM FACTORY!"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Commish said:

It feels like the state government is just saying "#### it, we're going scorched earth!!!!

What I found interesting was that Alberto Carvalho, the Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent, didn't seem too phased by this announcement, even though the MDCPS plan makes it very unlikely that many schools will be open five days a week (it will only happen if the school is at less than 75% capacity). My guess is that Carvalho knows that any statewide plan is likely going to have to make an exception for Miami-Dade.

I honestly don't know what to think. I would like nothing better than to have my kids back in school next month. But I also only want to do it if it can be done safely. I keep coming back to the idea that, until we get the virus under control, all of our choices will be bad.

I don’t at all envy them being in the position to have to make these decisions and can appreciate just how difficult and delicate it is...but man do they suck at communication and do very little to instill confidence and trust 

• Like 2

Hey @SoBeDad: Did you or any other Miami-Dade parents fill out the school survey this week? What did you say you plan to do with your children? I said that we would be sending both the 5th grader and the kindergartener to school full time. Whether we will actually do that, who knows? But for now it makes sense to say yes, since it will be easier to pull them out later than the push them back in.

Although I just saw an article I had missed a couple days ago where Superintendent Carvalho said that if the county is still in Phase 1, everything will be online regardless of what any parents are saying right now.

This whole thing has the makings of a giant CF.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Hey @SoBeDad: Did you or any other Miami-Dade parents fill out the school survey this week? What did you say you plan to do with your children? I said that we would be sending both the 5th grader and the kindergartener to school full time. Whether we will actually do that, who knows? But for now it makes sense to say yes, since it will be easier to pull them out later than the push them back in.

Although I just saw an article I had missed a couple days ago where Superintendent Carvalho said that if the county is still in Phase 1, everything will be online regardless of what any parents are saying right now.

This whole thing has the makings of a giant CF.

My kids are late 20s, but I would've answered yes, like you did, if my kids were younger. Some of my coworkers have middle school and high school children and are in favor of a hybrid model, since that would reduce class size. With younger children, at home virtual education requires lots of parental time, and some children don't respond well. My roommate is teaching at a Broward preschool (age 4) and class size was reduced from 16 to 8, with only 1 aide, instead of 2. Have you been told anything about a reduction in class size? 

I just heard Carvalho on ABC National news and he stated that Miami-Dade Public Schools are not ready to open classrooms, as the positive rate increases, hospitals fill, and restaurants close indoor dining.  Yes, schools won't open in phase 1.

Have you seen this article in ScienceMag?  For some reason, children, especially younger ones, don't seem to be super-spreaders.

Edited by SoBeDad
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Commish said:

DeSantis is crumbling under the pressure here...saying some really stupid thing :mellow:

Apparently he believes going to school is like going to Home Depot.

He’s a real peach. Doing great work and don’t challenge anything he says or does. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Commish said:

DeSantis is crumbling under the pressure here...saying some really stupid thing :mellow:

Apparently he believes going to school is like going to Home Depot.

Ehhh, I hate him as much as anybody, but I don't disagree with what he's saying.  If there is an ability to take your kids to HD and Walmart, which I do, there is a way to have your kid attend school.  He doesn't seem to be about forcing kids back to school, but allowing a safe option for parents who want to.  Whether or not the implementation remains 'safe' is the real question.   

Edited by Captain Cranks

20 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

Ehhh, I hate him as much as anybody, but I don't disagree with what he's saying.  If there is an ability to take your kids to HD and Walmart, which I do, there is a way to have your kid attend school.  He doesn't seem to be about forcing kids back to school, but allowing a safe option for parents who want to.  Whether or not the implementation remains 'safe' is the real question.   

I don't see this at all.  The mandate that came from his office saying schools had to be back operating as "normal" (full capacity same as before the virus) seems to be the exact opposite.  I'm grateful my kids' school is ignoring that and providing options.  As far as I can tell there is zero legislation on what "safe" means either.  

On top of all that, I don't think it's about "ability".  Personally, I don't take my kids to the store with me even if I am able to and that's a huge store where I can safely stay away from pretty much everyone.  It might be a PITA to do so, but it can be done.  I am there a short period of time in a high volume air flow facility.  It's pretty much the exact opposite of a classroom where it's tight quarters and low fresh air flow...not to mention all the kids going from one room to the next.  

• Thanks 1

I don't see this at all.  The mandate that came from his office saying schools had to be back operating as "normal" (full capacity same as before the virus) seems to be the exact opposite.  I'm grateful my kids' school is ignoring that and providing options.  As far as I can tell there is zero legislation on what "safe" means either.  

On top of all that, I don't think it's about "ability".  Personally, I don't take my kids to the store with me even if I am able to and that's a huge store where I can safely stay away from pretty much everyone.  It might be a PITA to do so, but it can be done.  I am there a short period of time in a high volume air flow facility.  It's pretty much the exact opposite of a classroom where it's tight quarters and low fresh air flow...not to mention all the kids going from one room to the next.  

I'm just going off of what he said in the video which is, "if a parent wants to opt for virtual education, they should be able to do that."

While I don't agree that we should be jamming kids back into schools as if it were February 2020, I do think there's a solution where some kids can return to the class.  If you don't feel comfortable with that solution, fine, you should have the option for virtual school while giving other parents the ability to choose for themselves.   

14 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

I'm just going off of what he said in the video which is, "if a parent wants to opt for virtual education, they should be able to do that."

While I don't agree that we should be jamming kids back into schools as if it were February 2020, I do think there's a solution where some kids can return to the class.  If you don't feel comfortable with that solution, fine, you should have the option for virtual school while giving other parents the ability to choose for themselves.   

Can't say I have followed all his press conferences this week.  I was speaking of the mandate that came down from the state government end of last week, beginning of this week.  If he's said the bold, it seems he is trying to walk those mandates back a bit.  At this point, I can't really listen to the rhetoric anymore.  I want to see what's written down on paper and expected.  I can't keep track of all the pieces flying off the bus anymore.

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Can't say I have followed all his press conferences this week.  I was speaking of the mandate that came down from the state government end of last week, beginning of this week.  If he's said the bold, it seems he is trying to walk those mandates back a bit.  At this point, I can't really listen to the rhetoric anymore.  I want to see what's written down on paper and expected.  I can't keep track of all the pieces flying off the bus anymore.

I'd give you a pass if you weren't the one who linked the video I grabbed that from.  ;)

1 hour ago, Captain Cranks said:

I'd give you a pass if you weren't the one who linked the video I grabbed that from.  ;)

Ha.....just read the article.... didn't even know there was a video...... was on my phone. :bag:

• Like 2

Supreme Court ruled 6-3 today in favor of the state legislation and against former felons hopeful of re-enfranchisement. 

It's estimated that, with current staffing, it will take roughly four years for the state to process the cases -- just to determine what they owe.

15 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Supreme Court ruled 6-3 today in favor of the state legislation and against former felons hopeful of re-enfranchisement. 

It's estimated that, with current staffing, it will take roughly four years for the state to process the cases -- just to determine what they owe.

What was the logic behind the vote?

What was the logic behind the vote?

Reuters lays out the facts. The Washington Post reported "As is common in emergency requests, the majority did not offer a reasoning for its action."

RBG, Kagan and Sotomayor had a pretty fierce dissenting opinion, though.

What's up with the super high rate of positive tests?  Bad tests?  Padding the numbers?  I mean WTF?

38 minutes ago, Manster said:

What's up with the super high rate of positive tests?  Bad tests?  Padding the numbers?  I mean WTF?

Perhaps it correlates to the super high rate of flaunting mask recommendations?

6 hours ago, Manster said:

Lots of people here are asking the state government that very question.  I'll try to update this thread as the "answers" come out.  Many labs/hospitals are wondering why/how the numbers they are giving the state are different from what is showing up on the state site.  The Governor is claiming there has been a "mix up" in communication regarding how things are to be reported.  Those reporting have said they haven't changed how they are reporting since this began.  They are doing today what they've done from the beginning, but somehow it's not getting onto the state site correctly.  Personally, I can't help but harken back to the suspicions of the crazy lady at FSU and her claim months ago....yeah, she's a whacko, I get that, but it doesn't mean she was wrong on this.  Time will tell as things unfold.

I guess the silver lining here is the "errors" (whoever that's on) really only impacts the "rates"...positivity etc.  So far, there is been little evidence that the raw hospitalization and death numbers have been messed with.  The problems here are very real and people are pretty arrogant with the mask stuff.  A dude even pulled a gun on someone in a Walmart (I think it was a Walmart) because someone told him he should have a mask on.  I mean, really.  That's what this state is dealing with.

The anti mask people are going to find it hard to buy groceries without a mask down here as all the major retailers are requiring masks now.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

The anti mask people are going to find it hard to buy groceries without a mask down here as all the major retailers are requiring masks now.

Bummer. But they do have so many shop from home options. I still don’t understand how people think that wearing a mask takes away their freedom. Applying that logic, airlines need to bring back smoking on flights and we need to abolish seatbelts in cars. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1