What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Binge drinking (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
Any bingers out there?

A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Thursday reveals that binge-drinking is becoming both more excessive and frequent — especially among middle-aged American men.

Published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the study relied on data from what’s known as the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), a random digitized telephone survey of adults across the U.S. that’s conducted monthly. For this particular analysis, the researchers used BRFSS data from 2011 to 2017, measuring the average number of drinks consumed per sitting, the frequency of binge-drinking episodes, and the total overall number of binge drinks per year.

The results showed that the annual number of binge drinks Americans consume on average has “increased significantly” from 472 per year in 2011 to 529 per year in 2017. According to the data, the average American now binge drinks at least once a week, consuming seven alcoholic beverages per binge.

While the study shows an overall increase across demographics, some of the biggest increases occurred in middle-aged Americans, specifically aged 35-44, who went from 468 drinks per year in 2011 to 593 in 2017. Close behind were 45 to 64-year-olds, who increased from 428 drinks in 2011 to 527 drinks per year in 2017. Overall, men showed a sharper rise in drinking than women, with men going from 587 drinks a year to 666.

7 beers a day?

Hold my beer.
I used to work a behavioral health line for an insurance agency that did intake for those that thought they ingested too much. You'd be surprised at the hold my beer holds I could put them on. I had to catch my breath after comparison. I was like, "You drank a liter this week? Hold last night's liter for me while I vomit in the stall while you're on hold, thanks."

I’d probably qualify myself as a binge drinker on very rare occasions.   I maybe drink alcoholic beverages 12-15 times a year.  I’d say that 80- 90% of those times—I have at most one drink (a single beer watching a football game, or a glass of champagne at a wedding..etc).  I go to vegas probably 10 times a year—and on 2-3 of those trips—I go to let loose and have wild fun.   Basically—there are probably 2-3 nights a year where I probably consume 7 plus drinks—and they pretty much all happen in Vegas.  It’s probably not the healthiest thing—but I feel like it’s not terrible being that i’m only doing it a couple times a year. Although the fact that I’m making excuses for it probably makes me an alcoholic. Lol. 

Interesting. Last week the news reported millennials are drinking less beer and more wine and alcoholic seltzers.  

No laughing matter. Big risk factor to heart related events. I’m a casual drinker with a high tolerance. Won’t drink at all at home for a week but then can polish off 5 vodka sodas and then glasses of wine the CEO  is pouring. Buzzed but never sloppy. Not the “no more than 2” recommended. Drinking less now. Will see if triglycerides drop. 

I’d probably qualify myself as a binge drinker on very rare occasions.   I maybe drink alcoholic beverages 12-15 times a year.  I’d say that 80- 90% of those times—I have at most one drink (a single beer watching a football game, or a glass of champagne at a wedding..etc).  I go to vegas probably 10 times a year—and on 2-3 of those trips—I go to let loose and have wild fun.   Basically—there are probably 2-3 nights a year where I probably consume 7 plus drinks—and they pretty much all happen in Vegas.  It’s probably not the healthiest thing—but I feel like it’s not terrible being that i’m only doing it a couple times a year. Although the fact that I’m making excuses for it probably makes me an alcoholic. Lol. 
This is me as well. We go to Vegas 3-4x/year and I have a min of 7 drinks each day - except the day before we fly home. I’m getting too old to fly after drinking the day before. 

Other than that, I’ll have a beer or two sometimes when we’re out for dinner. Most of the time it’s water or iced tea.  

No laughing matter. Big risk factor to heart related events. I’m a casual drinker with a high tolerance. Won’t drink at all at home for a week but then can polish off 5 vodka sodas and then glasses of wine the CEO  is pouring. Buzzed but never sloppy. Not the “no more than 2” recommended. Drinking less now. Will see if triglycerides drop. 
I do the same.  I work out 5-6 days a week, watch everything I eat.  Hardly ever eat junk food.   Yet when I drink I can easily go out and have 7-8 pints with a mild buzz and never sloppy.  I only drink Lite beer though.  Had a physical in December and everything checked out good so far.

My doctor said to me "Do you drink a lot?"   I said "Well your idea and my idea of drinking a lot are probably quite different." I said if I wanted I can easily drink 12 beers..he said that is not bad for a week.  I said no that is in one night.

If the line is 7 then I usually do not. If I have more than 1 then it's usually 4-6. Looking back I think the only non-vacation periods that is more than once per week are around Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I have completely purged the at-home habit. It's an occasional glass of something brown or red or nothing at all.

Vacations though- look out. 

I'll have a beer, maybe two a day more often than not...maybe 4 days a week.  I used to drink a good bit more than that but I've  cut back as I've gotten older, although 4-5 on sundays watching football isnt really out of the question.  I will still binge drink (7+) maybe 3-4 times a year, depending on who I'm with and where i am.

If the line is 7 then I usually do not. If I have more than 1 then it's usually 4-6. Looking back I think the only non-vacation periods that is more than once per week are around Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I have completely purged the at-home habit. It's an occasional glass of something brown or red or nothing at all.

Vacations though- look out. 
This is me exactly. All of it (except not necessarily around Thanksgiving/Christmas). 

I do the same.  I work out 5-6 days a week, watch everything I eat.  Hardly ever eat junk food.   Yet when I drink I can easily go out and have 7-8 pints with a mild buzz and never sloppy.  I only drink Lite beer though.  Had a physical in December and everything checked out good so far.

My doctor said to me "Do you drink a lot?"   I said "Well your idea and my idea of drinking a lot are probably quite different." I said if I wanted I can easily drink 12 beers..he said that is not bad for a week.  I said no that is in one night.
LOL, exactly.  I always dread that question being asked.

LOL, exactly.  I always dread that question being asked.
I think I’ve told this before but was discussing with some friends and I told my doctor 10 a week (lie) and got the lecture about drinking too much 

may buddy says that’s nothing i told my doctor I have like 50 drinks a week.  Doctor was shocked and said I can’t believe you drink that much every day and he says he doesn’t, he just goes to the bar 2 or 3 nights a week and has like 12 beers and 5-10 shots

eh, who wants to live to 80 anyway.

If I can make it to 75 with a few bouts of binge drinking thrown in here and there, that's a deal I would take. 
While I don't think infrequent bingeing will take 5 years off your life, no old person is willing to trade healthy years in old age for youthful debauchery. The trick is figuring out how much abuse you can inflict on your younger self to allow the old version not to suffer.

And I definitely want to live to 80, provided I'm healthy enough to enjoy it. If a few bouts of binge drinking will prevent that, I'll pass.

I think I’ve told this before but was discussing with some friends and I told my doctor 10 a week (lie) and got the lecture about drinking too much 

may buddy says that’s nothing i told my doctor I have like 50 drinks a week.  Doctor was shocked and said I can’t believe you drink that much every day and he says he doesn’t, he just goes to the bar 2 or 3 nights a week and has like 12 beers and 5-10 shots
What's the point of lying to your doctor?

My buddy told his doctor he drinks a bottle of red wine a night.  Doctor asked "Do you have a problem?"  My buddy said  "Not at all, it is easy to finish one bottle" :D

In high school and most of college.....  7 :banned: in one night was a light night for me... Lost track of how many times I woke up in the back of a car, a floor of a hotel, or, yes, next to some girl I had no idea of her name... Never planned it, just once I got started I had no shut off valve..

Thank God there was no such thing as cell phones back then and no one carried cameras with them.. 

Last time I was the guy on the right :suds:   was  over 25 years ago and I don't miss it one bit. 

While I don't think infrequent bingeing will take 5 years off your life, no old person is willing to trade healthy years in old age for youthful debauchery. The trick is figuring out how much abuse you can inflict on your younger self to allow the old version not to suffer.

And I definitely want to live to 80, provided I'm healthy enough to enjoy it. If a few bouts of binge drinking will prevent that, I'll pass.
The seniors disagree  :lol:  

What's your triglycerides number?

Does alcohol increase triglycerides?  Asking for a friend 
Maybe. Mine are low but my LDL has always been elevated. My HDL is always high which is supposedly good. If we could knock hydrogenated oils out of our foods our lipid numbers would go into freefall. That stuff is what killing us and it's in everything. Genes trump all obviously.

In high school and most of college.....  7 :banned: in one night was a light night for me... Lost track of how many times I woke up in the back of a car, a floor of a hotel, or, yes, next to some girl I had no idea of her name... Never planned it, just once I got started I had no shut off valve..

Thank God there was no such thing as cell phones back then and no one carried cameras with them.. 

Last time I was the guy on the right :suds:   was  over 25 years ago and I don't miss it one bit. 
Are you are teetotaler now?

I was definitely one of these guys till June when I quit. I stopped drinking in front of the kids then I quit drinking entirely. I do miss red wine from time to time, but I don't miss sleeping like ####. I don't miss blowing money on all the booze. I don't miss consuming a grade one carcinogen over and over. 

i don’t know, I guess im just not comfortable telling someone I see once a year that sometimes I have 25+ drinks a week if it’s not relevant to the reason im there
Not sure what type of doctor you're seeing, but your primary MD might be interested in habits that influence your health, or stuff you do which might interact with the medications (s)he prescribes.

Never have more than three. Not physically capable. Not from a "buzz" standpoint. I honestly just don't know how folks can retain so much liquid. I'd feel like a blimp.

Are you are teetotaler now?
No.. Normally I'll have a couple Bloody Mary's on Fridays, and I make my own wine so usually have a glass or two on Saturday nights..
I'll have a beer once and a while on the weekends. I have a 12 pack in my fridge that has 3 cans in it which I bought back in November...

Just learned to :banned:  in moderation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
7 is a #### ton.  How many hours they give you to do this. We talking 2 at lunch one while watching the 3pm game and then a bottle of wine for dinner?  

If you space 7 out far enough even starting at 5pm you could realistically never even get popped for a DUI by closing time.  

@Terminalxylem  The article mentions the risk of death by accident and the long-term heath risks of averaging four or five drinks a day.

What I don’t understand is if there are long-term hearth risks of binging if it’s infrequent enough to keep daily averages low. 

Users who are viewing this thread