What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite "The Police" Song (1 Viewer)

The Police

• De Do Do Do De Da Da Da

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Stand So Close To Me

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Message In A Bottle

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Roxanne

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Every Breath You Take

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Can't Stand Losing You

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • King Of Pain

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Spirits In The Material World

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • So Lonely

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Wrapped Around Your Finger

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Walking On The Moon

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Invisible Sun

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Synchronicity II

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters
Yep, this is my answer by a wide margin.  The Police have a quite a few songs I like a lot, but Synchronicity II is by far my favorite. 

On the flip side, Roxanne sucks. 
I went with Every Little Thing She Does is Magic, but weirdly enough, if the wording was “best” instead of “favorite”  I might have gone Synchronicity II.

Do, do ,do was always a feel good song to me.    Dam Sting looks like a kid in that video.  Saw Sting a few weeks ago on TV and thought dam he is looking old.  Then I looked and he is almost 70...he is old.

Roxanne always reminds me of Eddie Murphy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized The Police are one of my favorites ever by far.

I'll go Can't Stand Losing You forever and posterity because we was hanging out -- me, Jon F., and Kelly and friendships were anew in Spanish class in high school. Such a morbid song and we were just discussing out favorites by them because they were such a rare band we could all agree upon, so there we were jumping off points for our own stuff and many good times that day. Pre frontal cortex development was happening. Anyway, enough about friends, Message In A Bottle deserves mention, too.

Tough call, but Invisible Sun is probably my favorite. Love the atmospheric mood on it.

Second favorite would probably be Canary in a Coalmine. The three of them were about as tight on this tune as any.

went with S2 as the culmination of their incredible work

but the first song i always think of was the first of theirs i heard. Monkee Mike Nesmith had a video music channel on cable before MTV. was only on a few hours a day cuz there were maybe 14 vids to show then. so a new one was a big deal. one day, there was a new kinda ska-ish song with 3 good-looking towheads walking up Sunset strumming palm fronds. it was The Police doing Bring On the Night in a vid i never saw on MTV and have never found on the innerwebs

Been thinking about them lately. For such a massive band in their time, it's a little surprising how little I hear them these days.

Voted Roxanne, mainly for emotional/sentimental reasons.

Saw them in 1979 along with maybe 50 or 60 other people at Phase III, a small bar in Swissvale PA (outside Pgh) that booked punk and alternative bands at the time.

It was their initial American tour.

Liked them a lot. Memorably, they came out and played about a 35 minute set (come to find out it was most of Outlandos). Took a break. Came back out.

And played the exact same set.

Started hearing Roxanne on the radio not long after.

I smile in my mind remembering being a psych aide on an inpatient unit and playing air bass and guitar and screeching Roxanne along with two young male patients when it would come on the unit radio. It was a joyful moment in a place where there was more suffering than joy.

Voted Roxanne, mainly for emotional/sentimental reasons.

Saw them in 1979 along with maybe 50 or 60 other people at Phase III, a small bar in Swissvale PA (outside Pgh) that booked punk and alternative bands at the time.

It was their initial American tour.

Liked them a lot. Memorably, they came out and played about a 35 minute set (come to find out it was most of Outlandos). Took a break. Came back out.

And played the exact same set.

Started hearing Roxanne on the radio not long after.

I smile in my mind remembering being a psych aide on an inpatient unit and playing air bass and guitar and screeching Roxanne along with two young male patients when it would come on the unit radio. It was a joyful moment in a place where there was more suffering than joy.
saw the same tour. about 35 people at Univ of New Mexico's Johnson Gymnasium (XTC opened). i've recounted it here before - had a hard time getting a date to see a "punk band". a girl who sang in a ska group in Santa Fe had heard em & came down. as we were going in they were retracting the bleachers because the 200 folding chairs on the floor were going to be more than enough. my date suggested we clear out some chairs to dance and Sting liked the concept so much that he had his roadies wire his electric bullfiddle so he could join us down on the floor

welcome to the boards - former psych tech myself

Underrated Police tunes from each album:

1. Peanuts - Outlandos d'Amour

2. It's Alright for You - Reggatta de Blanc

3. Bombs Away - Zenyatta Mondatta

4. Hungry For You - Ghost in the Machine

5. Miss Gradenko - Synchronicity

*Bonus track - Fall Out (their first single)

All three of those guys are such underrated musicians (even Sting).

saw the same tour. about 35 people at Univ of New Mexico's Johnson Gymnasium (XTC opened). i've recounted it here before - had a hard time getting a date to see a "punk band". a girl who sang in a ska group in Santa Fe had heard em & came down. as we were going in they were retracting the bleachers because the 200 folding chairs on the floor were going to be more than enough. my date suggested we clear out some chairs to dance and Sting liked the concept so much that he had his roadies wire his electric bullfiddle so he could join us down on the floor

welcome to the boards - former psych tech myself
How was Andy Partridge back then?

'Don't Stand' for me...

First song I remember going out of my way to sit by the radio for what felt like hours, blank tape in cassette player with my finger on the record button. 

Those were the days...
And Ghost in the Machine was the tape i'll always associate with Walkmans. I had moved from NM to Manhattan to chase some showbiz ops and i lived about 5 blocks from an Israeli electronics store called "Uncle Steve's". i useta buy electronics from them just to haggle. Boombox, keyboard, Walkman, whatever - i'd pick something out and then have a temper tantrum on the floor til they gave me the price i wanted. Who haggles for real electronics, but they appeared to love it as much as i did - going up to the office to bring down the original invoice & ####.

Anyway, when i returned to Albq, my first gf was very outdoorsy. If it was too warm to be bogged down by stuff on our day trips, i'd put the brand-new Ghost in the Machine in the Walkman, Willie Nelson's Stardust in my shirt pocket and a-traipsing we would go to Enchanted Mesa or Gran Quivira or whatever. good times -

Been thinking about them lately. For such a massive band in their time, it's a little surprising how little I hear them these days.
Well, older bands who are now inactive tend to not get talked about nowadays unless a notable band member dies or one of their songs pops up somewhere prominent, like a TV show or film. 

These guys were really big in the early 80s, right? Like just a massive crossover success? Someone give me the breakdown here.

These guys were really big in the early 80s, right? Like just a massive crossover success? Someone give me the breakdown here.
I wish I could, GB, nut I was like ten at the apex of their popularity. Others would know better than I. Like wikkid or HellToupee, actually. 

Sirius XM plays them a ton on their First Wave channel. And quite a bit on Classic Rewind and 80s at 8, too. First Wave goes a lot deeper into the Police's catalog than the other two -- I've heard "Murder by Numbers", "Canary in a Coalmine", and "Rehumanize Yourself" in recent days.

that time i saw them with 35 people was barely a year before my aunt drove my 12yo cousin to see them at Schaeffer Stadium (where the Pats played). they blowed up real good...

Well, older bands who are now inactive tend to not get talked about nowadays unless a notable band member dies or one of their songs pops up somewhere prominent, like a TV show or film. 
I meant more that even with the 80s and 90s music references in tv, movies, commercials etc and in current music...so many bands and songs from back then are kept alive and still heard. Could be they decided not to sell out commercially, which is cool..but for such a huge band with such a huge catalog- I don't hear them the way I do other bands.

Yep. Their timing was perfect. They had locked down the frat-boy/yuppie crowd already with stuff like "Roxanne". Then, MTV hit and - being semi-exotic ("His name is STING, bro!") and (most importantly) white - they really took off. They released Synchronicity smack-dab in the middle of Top 40's last great season. Thriller, Born In The USA, Purple Rain, Like A Virgin - it was like a heavyweight melee. Then, they broke up.

Yep. Their timing was perfect. They had locked down the frat-boy/yuppie crowd already with stuff like "Roxanne". Then, MTV hit and - being semi-exotic ("His name is STING, bro!") and (most importantly) white - they really took off. They released Synchronicity smack-dab in the middle of Top 40's last great season. Thriller, Born In The USA, Purple Rain, Like A Virgin - it was like a heavyweight melee. Then, they broke up.
They were a thing before the frat boy scene though. They were a legit ska/post-punk/new wave  band in England coming out of the 77 first explosion of punk that had success in the UK with their first couple albums on the heels of Roxanne before blowing the doors off globally with the one that had dedododo. Iirc, they were still a college radio band until then.

Sirius XM plays them a ton on their First Wave channel. And quite a bit on Classic Rewind and 80s at 8, too. First Wave goes a lot deeper into the Police's catalog than the other two -- I've heard "Murder by Numbers", "Canary in a Coalmine", and "Rehumanize Yourself" in recent days.
Ah... Thanks. Good to hear...we don't get Sirius unless we're in a rented car, so I'm not hearing that. 

I do wonder if they've sold their tunes to brands for commercials..I can't remember any, but my memory sucks.

And Ghost in the Machine was the tape i'll always associate with Walkmans. I had moved from NM to Manhattan to chase some showbiz ops and i lived about 5 blocks from an Israeli electronics store called "Uncle Steve's". i useta buy electronics from them just to haggle. Boombox, keyboard, Walkman, whatever - i'd pick something out and then have a temper tantrum on the floor til they gave me the price i wanted. Who haggles for real electronics, but they appeared to love it as much as i did - going up to the office to bring down the original invoice & ####.

Anyway, when i returned to Albq, my first gf was very outdoorsy. If it was too warm to be bogged down by stuff on our day trips, i'd put the brand-new Ghost in the Machine in the Walkman, Willie Nelson's Stardust in my shirt pocket and a-traipsing we would go to Enchanted Mesa or Gran Quivira or whatever. good times -
Wasn't a huge Police fan but definitely remember listening to Synchronicity on the Walkman but it was inside at the local arcade, "The Gold Mine" in the Mall. 

Exactly what I was thinking. If you go through those acts: Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Madonna and The Police. I feel like The Police really disappeated fast from the public consciousness relative to those others. It seems easy to lose how big they were. 

I do wonder if they've sold their tunes to brands for commercials..I can't remember any, but my memory sucks.
Can't recall any commercials, but their work has gotten some play in recent soundtracks -- Stranger Things and the Fifty Shades of Gray come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread