What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl LIV Discussion Thread - 49ers vs Chiefs (2 Viewers)

Think the Niners win this game. Just a slightly better overall team with no discernible weakness. They are gritty and tough. Guys like Deebo and Kittle are easy to root for. This team is an extension of John Lynch’s persona. As a Cowboys fan, I’m jealous, as the Niners have shown what happens when organizations are well run. The Chiefs are good and Mahomes gives them a decent shot but in a Super Bowl, I’ll plant my flag on the team that appears tougher and plays better defense.

KC opens as a 1.5 point favorite. First thought is the 49ers win a close one. I think they can slow down the Chiefs offense just enough and will be able to run the ball effectively enough to win a close one. Should be a great game. 

As a niners fan I'll say this... I would actually prefer that they go into the 4th quarter trailing than leading. Shanny has shown a tendency to let teams back into games and the chiefs are an offense that once they pick up momentum... it's a hard train to stop.

If 49ers defense plays like they did in 2nd half they have no shot. 
:shrug:  With a 27 Point lead they played a "Bend don't break" .. But Broke twice.. I don't think they rushed more than 4 the entire 2nd half.
Thought maybe after the Graham mistake they'd change the plan, but it worked (other then the Devante mistake later) so can't fault them for "coasting" ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Stat of the day,

Against 2 teams that averaged 123 yards rushing during the regular season, SF averaged 42 yards on rushing defense during the postseason.

Hard not to root for the Chiefs - both the Hunt family and Andy Reid have been integral parts of the NFL for so long.  

At first glance, I think the Super Bowl will look a lot like a repeat of the KC/TN game we just saw.  KC will focus on (and have success with) stopping the run like they just did vs. Henry (better than Mostert/Coleman) and make Jimmy G beat them.  KC O-line played outstanding in the AFCCG - can they hold up to Bosa and the boys from SF though?  

I'll say Jimmy ends up with 2 TD passes, but it'll be due to Deebo/Sanders/Kittle and their YAC skills moreso than Jimmy attacking through the air.  They'll need a defensive or ST touchdown (or some great returns) to tip the scales.  I think KC offense can put up 30+ pts on SF defense.  I'll say KC wins 34-28. 

I think KC forces Jimmy G to have to throw.....not so much because they stop the run, but because KC will put points on the board.....as good as the niners D is, I'll take Mahomes and the KC O.

Chiefs 34

Niners 27

First time in my 50 years of life I'll finally get to watch my team in the Super Bowl. They won their first and only when I was 6 months old.

Hard to believe it has taken this long. Wow, it feels good just to be a part of it.
Nice.  Enjoy the whole experience leading up to the game.  

As a niners fan I'll say this... I would actually prefer that they go into the 4th quarter trailing than leading. Shanny has shown a tendency to let teams back into games and the chiefs are an offense that once they pick up momentum... it's a hard train to stop.
Have to disagree with you here.  Would much rather be leading by 14 going into the 4th quarter than trailing 😎

I have confidence Shanahan coaches to the situation these days.  Green Bay literally could not stop the run UNTIL they knew the 49ers were absolutely going to run it to keep the clock moving.  Just smart football and doing what he was criticized for not doing in the Super Bowl against the Patriots.

At first glance, I think the Super Bowl will look a lot like a repeat of the KC/TN game we just saw.  KC will focus on (and have success with) stopping the run like they just did vs. Henry (better than Mostert/Coleman) and make Jimmy G beat them.  KC O-line played outstanding in the AFCCG - can they hold up to Bosa and the boys from SF though?  

I'll say Jimmy ends up with 2 TD passes, but it'll be due to Deebo/Sanders/Kittle and their YAC skills moreso than Jimmy attacking through the air.  They'll need a defensive or ST touchdown (or some great returns) to tip the scales.  I think KC offense can put up 30+ pts on SF defense.  I'll say KC wins 34-28. 
I agree with this.   SF will get out to a lead but after halftime, KC runs away with it and wins by at least 10.  

, but it'll be due to Deebo/Sanders/Kittle and their YAC skills moreso than Jimmy attacking through the air.
Well duh, that's how the offense is setup to operate.

Niners match-up well against KC. Elite pass defense and running game. The Chiefs have a middling defense that's bottom of the barrel in run defense. Going to see another huge day from Mostert. Mahomes won't have all day to run around waiting for plays to develop. He's going to get his though and Jimmy will probably need to air it out more than the last 2 games,  but if they can keep the run game rolling and put Mahomes on his ### several times they will have that 6th ring. Far more talented team overall and they have been heavily battle tested this season in big, close games. 

Kyle and Mike Shanahan first ever father-son HC duo to reach the super bowl.
how many have there even been total?

This indicates a total of 6: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/kyle-and-mike-join-wade-and-bum-as-only-father-son-coaches-to-win-in-playoffs/

In addition to Mike and Kyle Shanahan and Bum and Wade Phillips, four other father-son duos have been NFL head coaches: Jim Mora Sr. and Jr., **** and Mike Nolan, Buddy and Rex Ryan and Don and Dave Shula.

its predictions....whats your crystal ball say???
49ers are up 27-0 at halftime and win 37-20.  Jimmy throws 8 passes and the 49ers have 280 yards rushing.  Because that's what happened last game.

Seriously, I think it's a high scoring game with both teams scoring in the high 20's plus.  Like the 49ers chances to win, but predicting a 3 point win vs a 10 point plus win  is just guessing.  Chiefs have a great offense, but 49ers defense is much better than either the Texans or Titans.  I don't see the same easy pitch and catch for the Chiefs that they had the last two games, but I could be wrong.  Maybe the Chiefs are just that good.  

Important stat to relay:  13 of the past 15 Super Bowls have been won by the team wearing white.
My dad told me this morning that the Niners have already requested all-whites.  Too lazy to Google.

I think this one will be close.  If the Chiefs' D can somehow limit the Niner ground game, they'll win.  

Mahomes and the Chief offense will be able to handle the Niner pressure.  So they'll score at least 24-27 points.  It'll be up to their D to limit the NIners to under that.

Statistically speaking the niners actually have the better offense, yet at first blush most ppl think KC's the powerhouse offense due to their offense being pass-based and Mahomes's star quality...

And KC's defense has actually given up fewer pts this season than the niners defense...

The O/U of 52.5 seems surprisingly low... I wouldn't be surprised if this game isn't as close as the spread implies.

Statistically speaking the niners actually have the better offense, yet at first blush most ppl think KC's the powerhouse offense due to their offense being pass-based and Mahomes's star quality...
Yep.  

49ers scored 27 and 37 points the last two games playoff games.  Not exactly low scoring games on their part.

Between having Mahomes and everyone wanting Andy to win one I think KC is definitely the more popular public pick. 

And KC's defense has actually given up fewer pts this season than the niners defense...

The O/U of 52.5 seems surprisingly low... I wouldn't be surprised if this game isn't as close as the spread implies.
After doing a bit more stat digging I find that I like the niners chances more and more...

The niners D is built specifically to stop a pass happy offense. Not that I'm saying they'll stop Mahomes, but just talking matchups here. Conversely KC's run D is not good, and that's the bread and butter of the niners offense. I know ppl say they've been better down the stretch but their last 6 reg season games were against teams that ranked in the bottom third in team YPC. They did however manage to bottle Henry up for the most part.

The niners #1 ranked pass defense actually regressed back to the mean down the stretch due to injuries and strength of opponent, going up against mostly top 10 passing offenses in the latter half of the season. (statistically they were on a record shattering pace in the 1st half of the season) I think the key is whether the niners LBs can cover Kelce without help over top. They're certainly athletic enough and niners rank 5th vs TEs in the league.

I think chiefs score first then it's SF from there on out until the middle of the 3rd when KC hits a few big plays to get back into it. 34-24 niners and I think KC's playing from behind pretty much the whole game.

Because it happened in the Chiefs last two games, it will happen again? Interesting take. 

That’s my prediction.   SF run game will work early but then KC will simply score enough where SF has to abandon the run.   It’s what KC does.   SF isn’t stopping KC.   

Initial take is KC wins 30-20. Chiefs defense has been strong over the last 10 or so games and they will impose their will offensively with too many ways to beat a defense. SF is the best D they’ve faced but give Andy and Mahomes 2 weeks to find the weaknesses. 

KC has also come back from deficits.  They are built to score in bunches......the niners have been fantastic on the ground, but if  they get down and have to rely on their passing game, things could get interesting.

Not sure if the 9ers can keep up with the Chiefs speed. No way they played any WR group this year as fast as KC's. Their D line can get pressure which will help, but if not they'll get burned. Sherman looked like he was running in concrete when Adams got behind him, and Adams runs something like a 4.6. Should be a great game.

the niners have been fantastic on the ground, but if  they get down and have to rely on their passing game, things could get interesting.
This is such a lazy narrative. Go watch the NO and get back to us... 

What about KC's middling defense makes anyone think they are going to keep SF from scoring? SF was the second highest scoring offense this year behind Baltimore. 

The last time Mahomes faced an elite defense (NE) he went for 283 a TD and a pick. Not exactly an unstoppable force. When he has lost this year it's been to teams that were able to run the ball (Colts and Texans each ran over 40 times). 

Not sure if the 9ers can keep up with the Chiefs speed. No way they played any WR group this year as fast as KC's. Their D line can get pressure which will help, but if not they'll get burned. Sherman looked like he was running in concrete when Adams got behind him, and Adams runs something like a 4.6. Should be a great game.
Good thing Sherman isn't the only player on their defense. He's also never been a speed guy. Niners defense is probably the fastest overall unit in the league. Something they excel at. And for all of this speed talk about KC on offense the Niners RB's can run with just about anybody. Deebo can move and Kittle is a freak. Going to be a fast, higher scoring game no doubt, but I think this talk about whether SF can keep up with KC is misguided.

This is such a lazy narrative. Go watch the NO and get back to us... 

What about KC's middling defense makes anyone think they are going to keep SF from scoring? SF was the second highest scoring offense this year behind Baltimore. 

The last time Mahomes faced an elite defense (NE) he went for 283 a TD and a pick. Not exactly an unstoppable force. When he has lost this year it's been to teams that were able to run the ball (Colts and Texans each ran over 40 times). 
titans were.slaughtering people on the ground.....until yesterday....do not under estimate the chiefs defense...they have improved greatly since early in the regular season and their coordinator has won a superbowl before

Users who are viewing this thread