What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buying Superbowl Tickets (2 Viewers)

Kanil

Footballguy
My FIL is a huge Chiefs fan and wants to go to the SB this year.  He wants to take a few other people, all located in different spots around the country.  Has anyone here bought SB tickets?  If so, what's the best way/place to buy them?

Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My FIL is a huge Chiefs fan and wants to go to the SB this year.  He wants to take a few other people, all located in different spots around the country.  Has anyone here bought SB tickets?  If so, what's the best way/place to buy them?

Thanks!!!!!!
Sounds great. I have absolutely no advice and have wondered since the '90s how to get tickets. Good luck. 

I used Stub Hub (twice).  It costs a little more, but you're sure to get real tickets and they have a cool party before the game with players, food, beer, etc.  

I'm shocked right now.  3 of the 5 people he was offering to bring, all expense paid, backed out.  He's postponing it to next year.  Who the hell turns down free SB tickets?  Jackwagons.

I'm shocked right now.  3 of the 5 people he was offering to bring, all expense paid, backed out.  He's postponing it to next year.  Who the hell turns down free SB tickets?  Jackwagons.
Madness. Screw ‘em. Just the two of you go then. More money for food

I went two years ago.  Getting the game tickets is actually the easy part depending on how much you’re willing to pay.  We got lucky in that area as my buddy had a client who had a suite at the Linc but couldn’t go to the SB, so she signed over the tickets to us to buy at face.  But we were willing to go through StubHub- also check out if the Chiefs or 49ers are offering travel packages through their website.  Some might include game tickets only.

Lodging was by far the hardest thing to square away (though probably will be much easier in Miami than Minneapolis).

Do not pass up the opportunity to go.  It was such a great experience ( didn’t hurt that for us it ended in a win).  Good luck!

eta: also, don’t buy the tickets just yet.  This is when they’re at their most expensive.  Keep an eye on them over the next week or so, they should be lower in price early next week, although the Chiefs being in it for the first time in forever might keep demand super high.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
I went two years ago.  Getting the game tickets is actually the easy part depending on how much you’re willing to pay.  We got lucky in that area as my buddy had a client who had a suite at the Linc but couldn’t go to the SB, so she signed over the tickets to us to buy at face.  But we were willing to go through StubHub- also check out if the Chiefs or 49ers are offering travel packages through their website.  Some might include game tickets only.

Lodging was by far the hardest thing to square away (though probably will be much easier in Miami than Minneapolis).

Do not pass up the opportunity to go.  It was such a great experience ( didn’t hurt that for us it ended in a win).  Good luck!

eta: also, don’t buy the tickets just yet.  This is when they’re at their most expensive.  Keep an eye on them over the next week or so, they should be lower in price early next week, although the Chiefs being in it for the first time in forever might keep demand super high.
I do think the lodging should be easier. Florida is so huge and tourist-centric that you could easily stay 2-3 hours out at a nice place for a reasonable rate and just get up early and drive in. 

Now if somebody wants to be around Miami the whole weekend it will cost a small fortune. 

ChiefD said:
If he is a Chiefs fan he better go THIS year. They only go once every 50 years.
One of the people that backed out is his son... who has season tickets to the Chiefs.  I mean, wtf are you Chefs fans doing up there?

DMXATF23 said:
Seriously...how can you call yourself a fan if you dont go when your squad is in there?
As a Vikings fan I have thought about this (although I am not sure why).  For actually watching the game itself it would be much better on my couch with my big screen and beer/restroom very convenient.  The viewing experience would be much better so for actually wanting to watch the game itself I would rather be at home.  On the other hand the experience of being at the game with all the festivities would be outstanding and a once in a lifetime sort of thing so it would be hard to pass up.  However, watching the game would likely be crappy as ticket prices would probably prevent very good seats and watching a football game in person with bad seats is not ideal. 

There are plusses and minuses to each situation.  I would probably lean towards staying home with friends and family and getting a better game watching experience but until I am in that situation (which will probably never happen) I won't have to make that choice. 

One of the people that backed out is his son... who has season tickets to the Chiefs.  I mean, wtf are you Chefs fans doing up there?
Jeez. If someone offered to pay my way there I'd be all over that.

I would love to go: just don't have the 15K laying around to splurge on something like that. 

If the Redskins were in the Super Bowl and someone offered me one free ticket, I might turn it down so I could watch it with my family. My guess is they'd try to talk me into going, though. It would be a tough decision.

News this morning said this was the most expensive SB for ticket prices and the lowest was something like $5k.  

That's insane, imo.

prevent very good seats and watching a football game in person with bad seats is not ideal. 
Are there really bad seats at these new football stadiums? In Denver I have set close to the field and near the top. The way the stadium was built the seats at the top weren't that bad.

If the Redskins were in the Super Bowl and someone offered me one free ticket, I might turn it down so I could watch it with my family. My guess is they'd try to talk me into going, though. It would be a tough decision.
I do want to go one day (it’s in Tampa next year so that may be it) but I wouldn’t want to do it if the Bucs were playing. That’s an experience to share with friends and family at a party and if they lost dropping the 12-15k would make it even worse. 

Are there really bad seats at these new football stadiums? In Denver I have set close to the field and near the top. The way the stadium was built the seats at the top weren't that bad.
The seat from my couch is much better and cost less.  Technically every seat isn't terrible and all have their plusses and minuses  (sitting too low sometimes blocks the field because of the benches and people on the sidelines.).  For me, if I am at the stadium I want a specific experience different from watching on TV.  That means being in an endzone to see plays develop and get that "all-22" look that you don't get for typical games. 

Bottom line if my team is in the Super Bowl I want to focus on the game and that probably means watching at home to get the best game watching experience. 

Yeah, what the heck does your FIL do that he can afford 5 tickets etc to the Super Bowl?  I checked on taking my dad last year when the game was near here and the prices were nuts.  Nothing is worth those prices.

Do you have a single SIL?

when i went, we had a large group of us.  some were bought through the season ticket lottery.  ticketmaster, stub hub.  business connections.  there were about 10 of us.  we all agreed to split the cost.  most expensive ticket, $1800.  cheapest, $0  ended up being $500 each.  we lucked out, having a lot of connections in the sports world.

My brother and I went to the SB in 2009 when the Steelers beat the Cards and it was a blast - literally a once in a lifetime opportunity for us (due to location and relatively cheap tickets in 2009).  The game was in Tampa (I live really close to Tampa) and my brother had some frequent flyer miles saved up so his airline ticket was basically free.  Our tickets where ~1700 about 20 rows from the field in the EZ (opposite end from Santonio Holmes game winning TD).  That game had so many big plays capped off with the Holmes TD - at one point this SB was ranked as the best ever for whatever that's worth.  The next day we went out for brunch then headed back to my place to watch the game again on the DVR.  Truly a great weekend and an experience I will never forget.

I went last year....my season ticket rep for the Rams got me 2 for face value.....$ 1450 each...my son bought on Stubhub for $ 3200
Dude......why did you gouge your son so much on stub hub?  You should have just sold direct to him and saved the stubhub fees.  You both make out better..... :P

I would only go to a Superbowl if my team wasn't playing and I could just enjoy the circus celebrity corporate show without caring about the game.  By far the best game to attend is when your team is playing in a conference championship at its home stadium.  You get the home game atmosphere in front of real fans (from both sides) with everything on the line.

I couldn't imagine spending 5 grand and then having to watch my team get blown out.  That would kill me.
This was almost me, at Super Bowl 52. At kickoff, it hit me: this will either be the best money I ever spent, or the worst. As a life-long Eagles fan, it worked out. But, I was still able to keep to my frugal ways in the overall cost. I started putting things in place the day after the NFC Championship Game, all contingent on being able to score tickets at a certain budget (I had already found out I didn't get picked in the Season Ticket lottery for face value tickets.)

• Found one-way BWI (90 minute drive from home) to Chicago Saturday morning Super Bowl weekend: $44 (non-refundable)
  • One-way Chicago to BWI Monday night after the Super Bowl: $46 (non-refundable)
  • Car rental for Sat - Mon for 6 hour drive (each way) to Minneapolis: $55 for my half (refundable)
  • Had plans to crash at an old internet friend's house just outside the city Saturday night in exchange for treating them to a nice dinner: $150 for my half
  • Booked a hotel just across the Wisconsin state line for Sunday night using hotel points (~$125 value) that was on the way back to Chicago
  • Figured about $250 for gas and tolls ($125 my half)
So we were set-up to have the trip cost me $545 plus daily food/incidentals. Budget I had in mind was $3,000 total, so hope was that we could find tickets for $2,500 (for cheapest tickets, that was still 3x face.) If we couldn't pull it off, I was out $90 on the plane tickets. Constantly tracked prices for almost 2 weeks. Right up until the Friday night before our flight was leaving the next morning. But prices didn't get quite that low so it was either call it off, go forward and take our chances prices would fall closer to the game, or be willing to go over budget. Went with increasing the budget $500, pulled off decent seats, and had the best sports experience of my life. 

Steeler said:
My brother and I went to the SB in 2009 when the Steelers beat the Cards and it was a blast - literally a once in a lifetime opportunity for us (due to location and relatively cheap tickets in 2009).  The game was in Tampa (I live really close to Tampa) and my brother had some frequent flyer miles saved up so his airline ticket was basically free.  Our tickets where ~1700 about 20 rows from the field in the EZ (opposite end from Santonio Holmes game winning TD).  That game had so many big plays capped off with the Holmes TD - at one point this SB was ranked as the best ever for whatever that's worth.  The next day we went out for brunch then headed back to my place to watch the game again on the DVR.  Truly a great weekend and an experience I will never forget.
I went to that game with my brother too.   I am a DVC member so we stayed in a Disney World resort.   Great times!

It helps for whatever reason the last 10 years have been more or less good games.   The previous decade had some real stinkers.  

Pro move might be waiting till a low fanbase team like Jax or Oakland makes it in.   

It helps for whatever reason the last 10 years have been more or less good games.   The previous decade had some real stinkers.  

Pro move might be waiting till a low fanbase team like Jax or Oakland makes it in.   
wut?

If the Raiders make the SB again the following would be massive.

I dunno, maybe not the best example.  The fact they couldn't even keep the team made me think the fanbase was likely weak.  
I think much like the Oilers and Browns, this wasn't a matter of the city not supporting the team as much as the owner wanting to move to a different locale.

I think much like the Oilers and Browns, this wasn't a matter of the city not supporting the team as much as the owner wanting to move to a different locale.
Yeah I'm sure there are threads on this in the main football forum, but this wasn't a fan base issue.  They have rabid fans.  Most of the crowd in their Vegas stadium will be folks from the Bay Area and SoCal.  And I would bet there are Raider fans strewn across the country.  Maybe not to the level of Cowboy fans but I am fairly certain they have a country (or perhaps even world) wide base.

Users who are viewing this thread