What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buying Superbowl Tickets (1 Viewer)

Point being, I think maybe just aiming for a fanbase that might not be as interested to get cheaper tickets.  Others pointed out in years that this might include a team like the Pats, where they have been so much they have low demand.

Short of that try to buy seats that Jerry jones squeezes into temp bleachers that collapse

zed2283 said:
Yeah, what the heck does your FIL do that he can afford 5 tickets etc to the Super Bowl?  I checked on taking my dad last year when the game was near here and the prices were nuts.  Nothing is worth those prices.

Do you have a single SIL?
He retired from the Army as a Colonel after 33 years (with over half that in theaters where he could not spend any of his $$$) and now has a job as a VP of a large company.

Edited to add - His youngest is the only one left who is unspoken for.  She's a zookeeper and awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
He retired from the Army as a Colonel after 33 years (with over half that in theaters where he could not spend any of his $$$) and now has a job as a VP of a large company.

Edited to add - His youngest is the only one left who is unspoken for.  She's a zookeeper and awesome.
Hook me up, GB!

Yeah I'm sure there are threads on this in the main football forum, but this wasn't a fan base issue.  They have rabid fans.  Most of the crowd in their Vegas stadium will be folks from the Bay Area and SoCal.  And I would bet there are Raider fans strewn across the country.  Maybe not to the level of Cowboy fans but I am fairly certain they have a country (or perhaps even world) wide base.
Pretty sure there are already Oakland travel agents setting up packages to get fans to Vegas for at least some of their "home" games.  Also would expect many unofficial road trips from same said fans.

Didn't we have a zookeeper here? What ever happened to that guy? He get Manticored?

I've been planning on going next year here in Tampa since the day it was announced. A couple days ago I tossed around the idea of going to this one in Miami instead since I'm a 49er fan...but we have a couple of friends who wanna come down from up North next year and stay with us and go to the game, and I didn't wanna screw those plans. My only cost to go this year would have been the tickets, gas to Miami and back from Tampa, and food & drinks. We would have driven down the day of and stayed with friends in West Palm after the game, so I wouldn't have had to worry about a hotel.

I was torn because like others have said, it would suck to drop $5k+ per ticket if I went and my team lost...but at the same time, not many people get to go to a SB that their team is playing in. 

I decided to stick with the original plan and go next year, and I'm gonna look at price trends over the past few years and figure out when the best time to buy would be, and try to jump at that time. Maybe Ill get lucky and the 49ers make it again next year, and if not, I'll probably enjoy the experience more since there's no chance for a let down other than maybe a boring game.

This was almost me, at Super Bowl 52. At kickoff, it hit me: this will either be the best money I ever spent, or the worst. As a life-long Eagles fan, it worked out. But, I was still able to keep to my frugal ways in the overall cost. I started putting things in place the day after the NFC Championship Game, all contingent on being able to score tickets at a certain budget (I had already found out I didn't get picked in the Season Ticket lottery for face value tickets.)

• Found one-way BWI (90 minute drive from home) to Chicago Saturday morning Super Bowl weekend: $44 (non-refundable)
  • One-way Chicago to BWI Monday night after the Super Bowl: $46 (non-refundable)
  • Car rental for Sat - Mon for 6 hour drive (each way) to Minneapolis: $55 for my half (refundable)
  • Had plans to crash at an old internet friend's house just outside the city Saturday night in exchange for treating them to a nice dinner: $150 for my half
  • Booked a hotel just across the Wisconsin state line for Sunday night using hotel points (~$125 value) that was on the way back to Chicago
  • Figured about $250 for gas and tolls ($125 my half)
So we were set-up to have the trip cost me $545 plus daily food/incidentals. Budget I had in mind was $3,000 total, so hope was that we could find tickets for $2,500 (for cheapest tickets, that was still 3x face.) If we couldn't pull it off, I was out $90 on the plane tickets. Constantly tracked prices for almost 2 weeks. Right up until the Friday night before our flight was leaving the next morning. But prices didn't get quite that low so it was either call it off, go forward and take our chances prices would fall closer to the game, or be willing to go over budget. Went with increasing the budget $500, pulled off decent seats, and had the best sports experience of my life. 
You just described my SB itinerary almost to a tee.  We were prepared to go all in with stubhub tickets so had to cut corners elsewhere.  Also did the BWI to Midway for $50 flight (if it fell through we were only out $100) and rented a car.  Then, a travel agent friend of ours hooked us up with a not quite fleabag but very no frills-y hotel about halfway between Minneapolis and St Paul, but whatever it was a room for multiple nights.

Then, my buddy had a client whose company owns a suite at the Linc.  She couldn’t go to the game because of a pre-scheduled trip out of the country, so she signed over her right to buy tickets to him at face value because he asked her first before anyone else thought to (awesome seats too, corner end zone, 20 rows up, right where Ertz scores the go-ahead TD)

With face value game tix, we were now way favorable to our budget, and made it a whole Minnesota sports weekend - Wild game Friday night, T-Wolves Saturday, SB on Sunday. Plus all of the SB-related trappings (Radio Row at the Mall of America, the event at the Covention Center etc).

The win just capped it off beautifully.  My favorite post game memories was 1) the 3-second pause after the Hail Mary fell to the ground, like nobody could process that the eagles actually won the damn thing, 2) face-timing my family and friends right after, they passed the phone around and I “celebrated” with each one individually and showed them the stadium celebrations, and 3) seeing all of the older grizzled Eagle fans with these goofy speechless grins on their faces.

Money well spent.

Yea man if you don’t spend money for that experience why even have it. Good for you. 

You just described my SB itinerary almost to a tee.  We were prepared to go all in with stubhub tickets so had to cut corners elsewhere.  Also did the BWI to Midway for $50 flight (if it fell through we were only out $100) and rented a car.  Then, a travel agent friend of ours hooked us up with a not quite fleabag but very no frills-y hotel about halfway between Minneapolis and St Paul, but whatever it was a room for multiple nights.

Then, my buddy had a client whose company owns a suite at the Linc.  She couldn’t go to the game because of a pre-scheduled trip out of the country, so she signed over her right to buy tickets to him at face value because he asked her first before anyone else thought to (awesome seats too, corner end zone, 20 rows up, right where Ertz scores the go-ahead TD)

With face value game tix, we were now way favorable to our budget, and made it a whole Minnesota sports weekend - Wild game Friday night, T-Wolves Saturday, SB on Sunday. Plus all of the SB-related trappings (Radio Row at the Mall of America, the event at the Covention Center etc).

The win just capped it off beautifully.  My favorite post game memories was 1) the 3-second pause after the Hail Mary fell to the ground, like nobody could process that the eagles actually won the damn thing, 2) face-timing my family and friends right after, they passed the phone around and I “celebrated” with each one individually and showed them the stadium celebrations, and 3) seeing all of the older grizzled Eagle fans with these goofy speechless grins on their faces.

Money well spent.
This is so perfectly described.  When that happened, no one cheered at first.  We all just looked around at each other trying to figure out if there was still a way we could lose it.  Then after that short moment (which felt like forever) everyone broke out into tears.  Just thinking about it makes me tear up again. :)

This is so perfectly described.  When that happened, no one cheered at first.  We all just looked around at each other trying to figure out if there was still a way we could lose it.  Then after that short moment (which felt like forever) everyone broke out into tears.  Just thinking about it makes me tear up again. :)
I think it was a combination of what you said ("Wait, did we win? For real?") and the fact that NE went for the endzone bomb with 9 seconds left. Most were expecting one more sideline route to get them closer, so unlike if there were 2 or 3 seconds left, most fans weren't in the "this is the last play" mindset where they were ready to cheer or cry as soon as the result of the play was decided. So, once the ball hit the ground, it took some time for everyone to see (and process) the clock was at 0:00.

But that 2-3 seconds of the air being sucked out of the stadium was surreal.

At this point in my life, I have the ability to splurge on certain things I haven't been able to the rest of my life.  Next time the Giants make the Superbowl (at this rate won't be soon) I will basically spend whatever it takes to go to the game.  Plan to take my son with me but imagine my wife and daughters will want to go as well so it will be an expensive endeavor but you only live once.  

I've been planning on going next year here in Tampa since the day it was announced. A couple days ago I tossed around the idea of going to this one in Miami instead since I'm a 49er fan...but we have a couple of friends who wanna come down from up North next year and stay with us and go to the game, and I didn't wanna screw those plans. My only cost to go this year would have been the tickets, gas to Miami and back from Tampa, and food & drinks. We would have driven down the day of and stayed with friends in West Palm after the game, so I wouldn't have had to worry about a hotel.

I was torn because like others have said, it would suck to drop $5k+ per ticket if I went and my team lost...but at the same time, not many people get to go to a SB that their team is playing in. 

I decided to stick with the original plan and go next year, and I'm gonna look at price trends over the past few years and figure out when the best time to buy would be, and try to jump at that time. Maybe Ill get lucky and the 49ers make it again next year, and if not, I'll probably enjoy the experience more since there's no chance for a let down other than maybe a boring game.
With all due respect to your buddies up North, I would have told them to suck it:

Your team is literally a few hours from you in the Super Bowl!  Go to the game, man. 

With all due respect to your buddies up North, I would have told them to suck it:

Your team is literally a few hours from you in the Super Bowl!  Go to the game, man. 
Oh they'd totally understand if I went this year, but it was really short notice and dropping $10k unexpectedly would have thrown my finances out of whack for months. I'm cool with sticking to the plan of going next year.

At this point in my life, I have the ability to splurge on certain things I haven't been able to the rest of my life.  
Me too. Unfortunately, it just means I'm to old to want to cope with all the crap involved with going to something like that. Like others, I'd rather just be home on the couch watching the game.

(I did drop money to watch the Spurs wrap up the title against LeBron several years back. But all I had to do was spend money and drive to the local arena for that)

Actually i bought my ticket and am going to the Superbowl.   6k for the seat,  $900 for the flight,   sitting with a good buddy,  he scored us some rooms about 15 miles away from the Stadium for $200 a night
And how many weeks will you have to work before you can retire to pay for that?  

I couldn't imagine spending 5 grand and then having to watch my team get blown out.  That would kill me.
This is a real fear.    What if I go and they get crushed unexpectedly like say the Broncos the first year that they made it with Peyton.

Or something like the 2016 Falcons Superbowl if I were a Falcons fan would probably end me being an NFL fan for life.

Or the game could just totally suck like last year.

I mean I saw the 2012 All-Star game and it was a total dud and I could've sold the seats for plenty.   I saw game 7 of the 2014 World Series and got crapped on by Bumgarner (also game 1.. also crapped on by Bumgarner).    So I've paid for some premium letdown before.. i know how it feels.

But you can't see something awesome without at least trying.   Win or lose I really hope I don't regret it in the long run.   But going to a SuperBowl has always been on my bucket list and I figure this is a good shot to give it a try.   

If Mahomes continues to be this elite for the next 3-5 years the Chiefs will likely get another crack at it.. but you can never be sure.

What I am interested in is what it's like to be a part of a football game where there is a bi-partisan crowd.. and then even more people who probably don't care who wins.  Going to be wildly different from Arrowhead.

Good lord 6k.  I wonder what the single highest ticket for just a regular non corporate type goes for.

I mean I saw the 2012 All-Star game and it was a total dud and I could've sold the seats for plenty.   I saw game 7 of the 2014 World Series and got crapped on by Bumgarner (also game 1.. also crapped on by Bumgarner).    So I've paid for some premium letdown before.
Speaking for all Chiefs fans everywhere:

Please stay home. 

Speaking for all Chiefs fans everywhere:

Please stay home. 
i went to the texans and titans game, i'm on FIRE.    I also went to the no-punt Peyton game, the pittsburgh all-FG loss, and the Pats game last year

you can look it up on stubhub - if you want to sit lower bowl middle-ish you need 13-20k
Ya but I'm thinking people might buy that stuff up for clients and things.  Wondering what top end for personal would be.   You should take someone that needs a bunch of implants and write it all off imo

Actually i bought my ticket and am going to the Superbowl.   6k for the seat,  $900 for the flight,   sitting with a good buddy,  he scored us some rooms about 15 miles away from the Stadium for $200 a night
Tootsies or Booby Trap after the game? Diamond Dolls is solid too but that's up in Pompano. 

Have fun.

This is a real fear.    What if I go and they get crushed unexpectedly like say the Broncos the first year that they made it with Peyton.

Or something like the 2016 Falcons Superbowl if I were a Falcons fan would probably end me being an NFL fan for life.

Or the game could just totally suck like last year.

I mean I saw the 2012 All-Star game and it was a total dud and I could've sold the seats for plenty.   I saw game 7 of the 2014 World Series and got crapped on by Bumgarner (also game 1.. also crapped on by Bumgarner).    So I've paid for some premium letdown before.. i know how it feels.

But you can't see something awesome without at least trying.   Win or lose I really hope I don't regret it in the long run.   But going to a SuperBowl has always been on my bucket list and I figure this is a good shot to give it a try.   

If Mahomes continues to be this elite for the next 3-5 years the Chiefs will likely get another crack at it.. but you can never be sure.

What I am interested in is what it's like to be a part of a football game where there is a bi-partisan crowd.. and then even more people who probably don't care who wins.  Going to be wildly different from Arrowhead.
Good for you for going. You only live once. 

I’m guessing given KC’s drought and the cross country travel from SF it’s going to be at least 2-1 if not 3-1 Chiefs fans minimum.

At this point in my life, I have the ability to splurge on certain things I haven't been able to the rest of my life.  Next time the Giants make the Superbowl (at this rate won't be soon) I will basically spend whatever it takes to go to the game.  Plan to take my son with me but imagine my wife and daughters will want to go as well so it will be an expensive endeavor but you only live once.  
my only Super Bowl was for the Giants.........against the Ravens.😓

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
Congrats @ChiefD, @Dentist and all of

the other Chiefs fans in this thread.  Well deserved win!
Great freaking experience.  Best 8k (ticket, flight, hotel, food) I've spent in a long time.

That is a really cool stadium they have down there in Miami.. food was great, and win really put the icing on the cake.

Stressful game to watch as a fan though..  palms and pits were sweaty... lost my voice

KC fans drink Busch Light.

Niners fans drink wine. 
NO one who's got enough dough to drop 8-10k on a football game drinks Busch Light.   Maybe Bud at worst, but most people were either not drinking or had craft beers or craft cocktails.  

Great freaking experience.  Best 8k (ticket, flight, hotel, food) I've spent in a long time.

That is a really cool stadium they have down there in Miami.. food was great, and win really put the icing on the cake.

Stressful game to watch as a fan though..  palms and pits were sweaty... lost my voice
Congrats. My cousin in Tampa wouldn’t go. Grew up in KC and he regrets it now. He has the means too. Can’t believe he didn’t go. Didn’t even have to pay airfare. 

Congrats. My cousin in Tampa wouldn’t go. Grew up in KC and he regrets it now. He has the means too. Can’t believe he didn’t go. Didn’t even have to pay airfare. 
I feel like I've reached all the sports goals I have ever wanted in life now.   I wanted to see the Royals win the World series when I was an adult and could go.. check.   I wanted to see the Chiefs in the Superbowl and attend a superbowl in my lifetime.  Check, Check.

Now here's the thing.   After the Royals won the World Series I felt like I"d finished a book or beat a videogame.. honestly baseball hasn't ever been the same for me since..  I still goto games, I still would have liked to see the Royals make the playoffs the year or 2 after when they still had many of the pieces.. but I just didn't CARE as much.

I really wonder whether or not I'll feel the same about football.    I really doubt a 2nd or 3rd superbowl would get me nearly as fired up as this one did.

Hey New England fan in his 40's...  Did the 5th and 6th superbowl titles really mean all that much to you?

That's weird.  There used to be a guy that used to post here under the Dentist username years ago.  He would be turning off the game at commercials to save electricity.   

That's weird.  There used to be a guy that used to post here under the Dentist username years ago.  He would be turning off the game at commercials to save electricity.   
I've made so much ####### money in the last decade because of all those investable dollars I've saved in the stock market that I've loosened up the purse strings.

YOLO

I also no longer have any dollars of debt.

I'm spending like a drunken sailor over here now bruh!

Users who are viewing this thread