What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Memories (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
Something Ive noticed about myself over the past couple of years....I dont remember things. Now, I dont believe this is the typical getting old and not remembering. Someone just said remember last year it was -20 degrees at this time? My thought is, no, I dont remember that. Yes, it was cold, but so is every winter. My wife will say things like remember when child two would always do so-and -so and no, I dont remember that. It almost seems as if its a detail I dont care about, I dont remember it at all. When I start thinking more deeply, it freaks me out like I really dont remember much about life!? 

Cjw_55106 said:
I dont remember doing it, but it seems like a board that you would want to save the fish until all of the obvious jellies are gone.

Does anyone else find they now have to scroll to the right to read longer posts? I thought it was an iPad thing, but the pc does the same if I dont have window maximized. I dont remember that from before. 

Gotcha. I guess i dont remember him finding one in the wagon. 

Cjw_55106 said:
The Bengals must be a lot better than I remember.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I thought Christmas questioned it and Josh quickly jumped to his defense asking why she would talk that way? 

Did i remember it incorrectly? 

Cjw_55106 said:
Good bet considering I don't remember the last movie I saw in the theater. 

That's cool though, how you implied I am somehow racist.  :thumbup:

Something Ive noticed about myself over the past couple of years....I dont remember things. Now, I dont believe this is the typical getting old and not remembering. Someone just said remember last year it was -20 degrees at this time? My thought is, no, I dont remember that. Yes, it was cold, but so is every winter. My wife will say things like remember when child two would always do so-and -so and no, I dont remember that. It almost seems as if its a detail I dont care about, I dont remember it at all. When I start thinking more deeply, it freaks me out like I really dont remember much about life!? 
:oldunsure:

Same, GB.

I used to have a near photographic memory.  I remembered everything in such detail that it would amaze people.  I could flip on my iPod and each song that came on, I could tell you the first time I remember hearing it and what was going on in my life.  My memories were like a wonderful treasure that I had when I was alone.

Now, I got nothing.  Last night I pulled a shirt out of my drawer and asked my wife if it was hers.  She said, "Are you serious?  That's your shirt."  Not believing her, I said, "What?  No it's not."  She said, "Your mom got it for you for Christmas this year." 

I mean, that's not even a month ago.  I have no recollection of that shirt.  And this is just an example of the many things that happen.  My wife and daughter always make fun of me for it, and I laugh along with them.  But deep down, I'm worried that I'm losing my mind.

What I find strange is that I can remember that kind of stuff from when I was younger easier than I can remember who won the Super Bowl last year.
Yes.  So true.  The stuff I learned when I was younger definitely sticks better than the current stuff.

I'm noticing the same and its concerning.  At times I feel like my brain is searching for a file and it takes 4-10 seconds (if at all) where normally it would be instant.  

The worrisome part is the info I'm searching for isn't somenwierd obscure information. Maybe it's a description or adjective that is fairly common but I cant seem to find it in my brain to get it to my lips

Remember last year?  Shiz, do you know how often I have to turn around in my own neighborhood to check if I closed garage door or not?  Twice a week, minimum 

Remember last year?  Shiz, do you know how often I have to turn around in my own neighborhood to check if I closed garage door or not?  Twice a week, minimum 
I had to start carrying an extra house key in my laptop bag because I left to go to work so many times without my keys.  Like, how does one forget to pick up the keys that are hanging by the door?  I mean, it's not like you do that every day of your life.

This is me. I just can’t recall things. The thing that really starting to worry me is I’m having trouble finding words. It’s like I know what I’m saying then all of a sudden the word im looking for is at the tip of my tongue, but I just can’t find it. Frustrating. 

I heard when you remember something, you are just remembering the last time you remembered it. I try to think back of keys events and “remember” them again.

The reason I can't name last years Champion isn;t age or bad memory - it's i just dont give a ####

When I was younger I cared way more and was into naming every player on every team.... now I barely care about the teams I like....

The funny thing is that I remember there was a thread about this same thing recently.  I'm guessing @Cjw_55106 probably saw it but didn't remember.  As we keep getting older, I'm guessing we're going to start seeing more and more of these threads since no one will remember the previous ones.  It'll get to the point where there are so many that it'll make this place unreadable and everyone will complain about it because they can't remember the time there used to be a yoga pants thread.  And then we'll just need a Remembering Subforum and this place will finally come full circle.

The funny thing is that I remember there was a thread about this same thing recently.  I'm guessing @Cjw_55106 probably saw it but didn't remember.  As we keep getting older, I'm guessing we're going to start seeing more and more of these threads since no one will remember the previous ones.  It'll get to the point where there are so many that it'll make this place unreadable and everyone will complain about it because they can't remember the time there used to be a yoga pants thread.  And then we'll just need a Remembering Subforum and this place will finally come full circle.
Who is @Cjw_55106?  Does he post on this site?

since it seems i'm always telling stories, it may surprise y'all to know that personal memories are mostly a blur to me. i've never hung around with a lot of ol pals, but my two best friends have been so for 50+ yrs and, when we talk about the past it goes sumn like this:

friendo: 'member that time we went to Nine Mile Hill and you told that chick Anita you knew how to translate petroglyphs?

wikkid: huh?

friendo: yeah, you read that one like it was a Pueblo shopping list - get pine nuts and an elk for dinner, kill a conquistador and steal his helmet for a rain bucket - and everything looked like the symbols on the stone?

wikkid: you're kidding

and they'd tell me how Anita reacted to being made a fool and turned the tables on me later or sumn and for me it was like it never happened. i bet that, w my oldest pals Jeff & Betsy, the ratio's over 25-1 on stories they remember & i don't

i also couldnt tell you hardly anything about last year's Super Bowl trail (and my team won - dont remember nothing except the SB being low-scoring and being grateful we got the overtime flip against Mahomie) and abso nothing about the years before. yet i can tell you the backup OT on the Falcons

My brain knows what it will remember and what it won't.

For example, if I'm learning about certain people or events in history, I instinctively know that I'm going to remember them. Sometimes I'll even remember where I was when I learned about a certain topic. But if I'm watching a sporting event, I know that I'm going to forget every detail as soon as the event is over. Sometimes my friends will bring up a football or basketball game that we all went to, and I'll have literally zero recollection of being there. And even after being reminded that I was there, my brain will think that I had actually seen the game on TV. 

I'll walk upstairs, and my wife will say "when you come down, bring the vacuum."  Five minutes later, I come down.  Her: "Where's the vacuum?"   :shrug:    :wall:
:lol:

I'm mid-40s. I do this all the time.

In November, I had to go to the DMV to take care of something with one of our cars. While I was there, DMV clerk asked if I also wanted to pay for the car's registration. I said sure. Last week, I realized the DMV never mailed us the new registration license plate sticker for the car. After spending 10 minutes looking through drawers and paperwork to see if we got the sticker in the mail, I went outside to check the car. The new sticker was on there. No one else would've put the sticker on there but me. I did it at some point and have no recollection of doing it. 

The simulation is glitching.

My brain knows what it will remember and what it won't.

For example, if I'm learning about certain people or events in history, I instinctively know that I'm going to remember them. Sometimes I'll even remember where I was when I learned about a certain topic. But if I'm watching a sporting event, I know that I'm going to forget every detail as soon as the event is over. Sometimes my friends will bring up a football or basketball game that we all went to, and I'll have literally zero recollection of being there. And even after being reminded that I was there, my brain will think that I had actually seen the game on TV. 
Reminds me of the Rocket Ismail Bomb game. I was there and how I remember it and how I described it to people was that right after Aikman fakes the handoff, the entire stadium was dead silent. Like, drop a pin silent. 

This is what it sounded like

same here for most things mentioned in this thread.

I can remember every football player ever it seems (thanks fantasy football) but can't remember (or have a brain freeze at least) the names of some of the people I've worked with for over a decade.

I'm constantly leaving house tasks half done (eg. washer and dryer both open with clothes half transfered to dryer, light on in closet where tools are cuz I was going to fix something, go upstairs to brush my teeth, come down and notice 2 things half-done).

I can't remember many personal details from my childhood at all.

There was a Malcolm Gladwell "Revisionist History" podcast about memory and, bottom line, memory is not a databank of accurate history. It changes and morphs over time as other details get added by others or by yourself until you convince yourself you were at place A when something happened but you weren't.

Bright side: everything said in this thread is starting to be said by most people I know as we hit our late-40s/early-50s. I wonder if part of it has to do with the accumulation of all these details and memories over a long lifetime that there's "just  no room at the inn" for any more to really stick beyond the most important ones.

Who knows.

I think a lot of it has to do with not caring as much. 
This very well could be it.   :oldunsure:

And on a semi-tangent, I've tried to nip this in the bud by using a service called FreePrints on my phone.  I take a good number of pics of my kids and then of course Facebook has that nifty little "memories" feature that shows you pics/posts from 1, 2, 3, 4, whatever years ago.  I save those and then every month or so use the FreePrints app to have the photos printed and sent to me.  You only really pay for shipping and handling (hence FreePrints).  Eventually I will buy an album to put them in... if I ever remember to jump on Amazon or whatever to buy one.  :lol:

This very well could be it.   :oldunsure:

And on a semi-tangent, I've tried to nip this in the bud by using a service called FreePrints on my phone.  I take a good number of pics of my kids and then of course Facebook has that nifty little "memories" feature that shows you pics/posts from 1, 2, 3, 4, whatever years ago.  I save those and then every month or so use the FreePrints app to have the photos printed and sent to me.  You only really pay for shipping and handling (hence FreePrints).  Eventually I will buy an album to put them in... if I ever remember to jump on Amazon or whatever to buy one.  :lol:
This app sounds awesome.  What's the catch?

This app sounds awesome.  What's the catch?
No catch at all.  They occasionally send you an email asking you to buy one of their "other" products but that's about it.

I think you get 85 "free" prints a month.  I will have about that amount sent once every other month, and I think it's around 7-8 bucks.  The print quality is decent.  I'm a fan.

No catch at all.  They occasionally send you an email asking you to buy one of their "other" products but that's about it.

I think you get 85 "free" prints a month.  I will have about that amount sent once every other month, and I think it's around 7-8 bucks.  The print quality is decent.  I'm a fan.
This sounds awesome.  Just downloaded the app and ordered some pics to check it out.  Thanks for the tip, GB!

This is pretty much a constant low-level terror for me right now. My father showed signs of dementia only a few years older than I am as I write this. He was diagnosed, and went downhill (& died), only a few years after that. Many folks on my dad's side of the family got "senile" - his younger brother is in late stage dementia now.

I realize some of this is natural aging. And some is the ridiculous amount of drugs/booze I did at a young age. But, it terrifies me when I can't recall something like I used to.

The older you get the more stuff you have to remember. The brain can only hold so much man. Once it gets full, you gotta forget something to remember something else. 

I'll walk upstairs, and my wife will say "when you come down, bring the vacuum."  Five minutes later, I come down.  Her: "Where's the vacuum?"   :shrug:    :wall:
When my wife asks me to do something my standard answer is:  "at this moment I have every intention of doing that"... it's a running joke in my house because neither one of us can remember anything.  

The older you get the more stuff you have to remember. The brain can only hold so much man. Once it gets full, you gotta forget something to remember something else. 
This happened to Kelly Bundy.  Her head got so crammed with facts while studying for a quiz show that she forgot the first one she learned. Which was that her dad scored 4 tds in a high school football game.

This happened to Kelly Bundy.  Her head got so crammed with facts while studying for a quiz show that she forgot the first one she learned. Which was that her dad scored 4 tds in a high school football game.
also to Homer Simpson - that time he learned all about wine tasting but then forgot how to drive - turned out he was just really drunk.

That's because you cannot put a pitcher's worth of beer into a shot glass of a brain....You get some spillage....

When it come to memories, here are some lyrics to consider,

Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory, all alone in the moonlight
I can dream of the old days
Life was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again
Every street lamp seems to beat
A fatalistic warning
Someone mutters and the street lamp sputters
And soon it will be morning

When it come to memories, here are some lyrics to consider,

Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory, all alone in the moonlight
I can dream of the old days
Life was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again
Every street lamp seems to beat
A fatalistic warning
Someone mutters and the street lamp sputters
And soon it will be morning
I'm on a Tears for Fears kick right now (watching their documentary Scenes from the Big Chair on youtube) so I'd like to reply with some lyrics from their song "Memories Fade"...

Memories fade but the scars still linger
Goodbye my friend
Will I ever love again
Memories fade but the scars still linger

not really appropriate since that's more about mental/emotional scars left from past "offenses", but, hey, Tears for Fears 1st album "The  Hurting" is one of my top 5 albums EVER, so I took this opportunity to quote it ;)

zamboni said:
Probably the same for a lot of us. Although if I am asked important stuff, for example, naming the starting infield of the 1982 Cardinals, somehow it's a breeze. 
I know 75% of the infield off the top of my head (I think):

Ken Oberkfell 3b

Ozzie Smith SS

Tommy Herr 2b

Cant recall the first baseman.

Can it be that it was all soooo simple then? Or has time rewritten every line? If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me - would we? Could we?!

I wonder if some of the memory problem is technology related.  I mean if you're 50% paying attention to your phone and 50% paying attention to the outside world of course you aren't going to remember as well.

Are there “exercises” for the memory for the getting older crowd that actually work? My name retention has gone to pot in the last year or so (49 years old now). 

I know 75% of the infield off the top of my head (I think):

Ken Oberkfell 3b

Ozzie Smith SS

Tommy Herr 2b

Cant recall the first baseman.
As I followed the Braves in the early/mid 80s as they were the only team I could watch growing up in Florida on TBS (at 7:35PM), I remember:

Oberkfell 3b

Rafael Ramirez SS

Glenn Hubbard 2b

Gerald Perry/Bob Horner/Chris Chambliss 1b

Bruce Benedict C

Dale Murphy CF

Claudell Washington RF

Can't remember LF. Might have been Brad Komminsk.

zamboni said:
Probably the same for a lot of us. Although if I am asked important stuff, for example, naming the starting infield of the 1982 Cardinals, somehow it's a breeze. 
I could tell you all about sports teams/players in the 80's.  The problem is that I can't remember who won the Super Bowl or NCAA tournament last year or the year before.  Or for the last 20 years for that matter.

TheIronSheik said:
Same, GB.

I used to have a near photographic memory.  I remembered everything in such detail that it would amaze people.  I could flip on my iPod and each song that came on, I could tell you the first time I remember hearing it and what was going on in my life.  My memories were like a wonderful treasure that I had when I was alone.

Now, I got nothing.  Last night I pulled a shirt out of my drawer and asked my wife if it was hers.  She said, "Are you serious?  That's your shirt."  Not believing her, I said, "What?  No it's not."  She said, "Your mom got it for you for Christmas this year." 

I mean, that's not even a month ago.  I have no recollection of that shirt.  And this is just an example of the many things that happen.  My wife and daughter always make fun of me for it, and I laugh along with them.  But deep down, I'm worried that I'm losing my mind.
Anxiety and depression affects memory..

We are so distacted in our daily lives. Stressed out. Of course memory will get hit. I wouldn't worry about forgetting something that could be attributed to being distracted with many things on your mind. I wouldn't worry about not remembering songs from the past or anything you don't deal with pretty frequently. That's called normal aging. I'd worry if I start forgetting what was just said to me a little while ago despite my paying attention (mind isn't somewhere else) or you start forgetting parts of your usual daily activities of living, or something you could always do with your eyes closed. When they evaluate you for dementia they ask you like draw 2 o'clock, connect the dots, repeat the 5 words I told you to remember a couple minutes ago. Also factored in is stress level, anxiety/depression which certainly affects memory. 

This Is Us has Rebecca showing signs of dementia, if you happen to watch this show.

I wonder if some of the memory problem is technology related.  I mean if you're 50% paying attention to your phone and 50% paying attention to the outside world of course you aren't going to remember as well.
I don’t have a smart phone and haven’t indulged in mind-altering substances, yet I have similar experiences to most in this thread. And I used to have an encyclopedic memory, largely replaced by “tip-of-the-tongue” moments.

Users who are viewing this thread