Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

no bueno

Spreadsheet created by Ned Corona - Non China tracker @Ned

@beer 302 Live COVID google map via Reddit

Data from Italy:

99% of deaths are those who had underlying conditions, namely high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease.

Avg age of death is 79.5

LINK

Update: The World Health Organization has declared the Coronavirus a Global Health Emergency.

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation Dashboard

The CDC's Dedicated Coronavirus Resource,

The WHO's Dedicated Coronavirus Resource,

You can also check out this live tracker/map of the spread of the coronavirus provided by John Hopkins University.

And the University of Chicago School of Medicine's handy FAQ style resource.

What is a coronavirus? What is a novel coronavirus?

A coronavirus is actually the name for a set of illnesses, including the common cold and other respiratory infections. A novel coronavirus means it’s a new virus that originated in animals, but has jumped to humans. This particular virus from Wuhan is being called the 2019 novel coronavirus or 2019-nCoV.

How does the Wuhan coronavirus spread?

So far, there’s limited information about the Wuhan novel coronavirus, including how easy it is to spread and how dangerous it is. But we know the virus can be transmitted from person to person and it is passed by coughing and other close contact.

Close contact is a vague term that means a lot of things to different people. But in this case, it specifically means being within about six feet of someone for a prolonged period of time without wearing recommended personal protective equipment such as a disposable face mask. It could also be having direct contact with infectious secretions of someone who has a case of the virus (for example: being coughed on) while not wearing personal protective equipment.

That can sound scary, but it’s important to know that influenza is also transmitted the same way.

Is this coronavirus deadly?

The numbers of how many people have been diagnosed or how many have died are changing rapidly. Without accurate numerators and denominators, the jury’s still out. That said, we do know that more than 100 people in China have died from this virus. Based on the information I’m seeing, it looks very similar to SARS in a number of ways — except for the fact that it’s likely less deadly, but more transmittable.

What are the symptoms of the virus?

We’re still learning more about Wuhan novel coronavirus, but we know it typically causes flu-like symptoms including a fever, cough and congestion. Some patients — particularly the elderly and others with other chronic health conditions — develop a severe form of pneumonia.

How do you treat patients with this virus? Can you vaccinate against it?

Things like antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria, not a virus. So typically doctors can treat the symptoms, but not the virus itself. There’s no vaccine yet.

Edited by FBG Moderator

SARS blankets must be in high demand

I spent 7 days in Wuhan in Sept...luckily I had my kids with me so we mostly at Pizza Hut and Noodles.  

12 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

protect ya neck

and all mucus membranes

Ut oh.  I'm sick right now.  Like I'm blowing some real nasty yellowish-brown junk out of my nose every hour or so.  :oldunsure:

21 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Ut oh.  I'm sick right now.  Like I'm blowing some real nasty yellowish-brown junk out of my nose every hour or so.  :oldunsure:

It was a run

28 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

i hear the yellowish-brown stuff is good for the face. try to seperate the brown and use just that the yellow dries up too quickly

goodluck and report back GB

3 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Wuhan Wuhan gotchu all in check. 

Dammit, you beat me to it.

6 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Sleep with it’s wife

• Like 1

I'm going to restock my shelter and buy some more guns and ammo.

7 hours ago, Vanilla Guerrilla said:

I read China has had 6 deaths from it.  Buncha people got sick from it.  6 out of a few billion isn't bad odds.

Just checked and the count is 9 now.

Lunar New Year falls on January 25 this year.  This is China’s biggest travel holiday, estimated 3 billion trips by car, rail, air and sea between Jan 10 and Feb 18.  My guess is there are still tickets left to Wuhan.

Link

Edited by bradyfan

Wuhan virus ain't nothin' to #### wit.

Edited by Tecumseh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rascal said:

I'm going to restock my shelter and buy some more guns and ammo.

If I put in any more guns and ammo in my shelter, I'd have to lose some food or booze to make room.

Hard pass.

10 hours ago, comfortably numb said:

Is this the start of WW 3?

World War Z

• Like 1

I got that chest cold #### that make you break your neck,
Wuhan! I got you all in check.

• Like 1

800+ cases worldwide  25 dead.

“Make no mistake, this is an emergency in China. But it has not yet become a global health emergency. It may yet become one,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters on a conference call following a second emergency meeting on the disease on Thursday."

Texas investigating 3rd possible patient.

Wuhan market at center of outbreak

The Chinese market at the center of the deadly coronavirus outbreak sold live animals — including wolf pups, foxes, rats and peacocks — to eat, according to a new report.

Edited by kodycutter

And 6600 flu related deaths but nary a peep about that

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Texas investigating 3rd possible patient.

He is currently being treated by a robot in a guarded bio-containment room at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Washington

Great...once the coronawithlimevirus wipes us all out, it looks like the robots will be taking over.  Thanks, Bill Gates! 

• Laughing 1

8 hours ago, Skipdog77 said:

Great...once the coronawithlimevirus wipes us all out, it looks like the robots will be taking over.  Thanks, Bill Gates! 

Or worse:  zombie robots

• Thinking 1

16 minutes ago, proteus126 said:

I heard its in the river.

Reading this and seeing your avatar makes me crack up. :lol:

18 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Reading this and seeing your avatar makes me crack up. :lol:

Then... my-work-is... done-here.

• Like 1

Whatever China reports, you should actually multiply that by four to get a number that’s actually closer to the truth

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Can someone get Dustin Hoffman out of senior living to take care of this please?

Coronaviruses Symptoms

• runny nose.
  • headache.
  • cough.
  • sore throat.
  • fever.
  • a general feeling of being unwell.

That's literally everyone in my office 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jules Winnfield said:

Whatever China reports, you should actually multiply that by four to get a number that’s actually closer to the truth

This.  This is a far bigger epidemic that the Chinese government is painting it to be.  The Chinese finally just admitted that 15 medical workers contracted the disease while caring for patients.  They should have disclosed this the moment it happened as opposed to waiting a week (or possibly weeks).   The fact that they are restricting mass transit, banks are implementing restrictions, Disney Shanghai is closing right around lunar New Year is a clear indication of how serious this is.  I’m not saying that this is going to be some sort of global pandemic that should be treated like the apocalypse—but I do think that it is a far bigger problem than its being made out to be. 

2 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Well, damn

11 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Coronaviruses Symptoms

• runny nose.
  • headache.
  • cough.
  • sore throat.
  • fever.

So, 90% of the US?

• Like 1

BUT DID YOU DIEEEEEE?!

30 minutes ago, Jules Winnfield said:

Well then, good news.  If this is true, the disease doesn't actually start to spread until the year 8080. 

26 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Coronaviruses Symptoms

• runny nose.
  • headache.
  • cough.
  • sore throat.
  • fever.

This is at least better than West Nile Virus.  They would be like, "You can have this and actually not have any symptoms."

Well, then it's not a disease.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Coronaviruses Symptoms

• runny nose.
  • headache.
  • cough.
  • sore throat.
  • fever.

WebMD always tells me that is brain cancer

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, That one guy said:

WebMD always tells me that is brain cancer

It's not a tooomah!

On 1/21/2020 at 11:29 AM, That one guy said:

I’m a snob and drink micro-brew IPAs, no worries about coronavirus

Very good!  :lmao:

Normally I joke about most mass hysteria stuff, but illnesses scare the crap out of me. My wife is a teacher (so around lots of people) and had white blood/auto-immune issues, and my daughter has a weakened immune system b/c of medication for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Being sick around here is nothing to sneeze at.  (yea, I did that) 

• Like 2