What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

A few other small things happened in January:

• 27 mass shootings in the US - 38 killed, 107 injured
  • Brexit and Megxit in the UK (the silver lining)
  • Government resignation in Russia
  • Locust invasion in Africa
  • Taal Volcano eruption in the Philippines
  • Earthquakes in Puerto Rico (5.8, 6.8), Jamaica (7.7) and Turkey (6.7)
  • Mass floods in Jakarta, Brazil and Madagascar -  >150 killed, >100K displaced
Ozzy got the Parkinsons

When have I ever mentioned the price of stocks? You literally just made that up. 
No I didn’t make it up. Here’s the link to your post in the stock thread. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/673466-stock-thread/?do=findComment&comment=22460636
Lol 

I too am shocked the market is reacting to the worlds largest exporter of consumer goods (and one of the biggest consumers of everything) Effectively shutting down for week(s). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Heartbreaking
I echo these sentiments.  That one video showed something like 10 bodies in a matter of five minutes in one hospital. The Chinese are trying to build a giant hospital in 6 days—so imagine what that means in regards to how many people it has infected. The government basically does what it can to control the media, the information and the images that get out of that country. We’ll most likely never know the full extent of the death toll of this virus—but I hope that video sheds some light to people in this country who are comparing it to a common cold or a light flu.   Would people be joking about a pneumonia epidemic here if that were to exist?

Oh boy. Secret video shot from a hospital in Wuhan. Not looking good. Not at all.

Twitter Video
Not sure what the big deal is, that's pretty much any Saturday at my local Methodist Minor Medical Center during regular flu season. 

Please stop acting like this is any bigger deal than the normal flu. #themarketisreacting 

Look how seemingly reasonable people in here are panicking and lapping it up. Now imagine what the general public is like. Of course the media is going to run with it. They need the clicks. 
How many major cities has China put under quarantine because of the flu?

When have I ever mentioned the price of stocks? You literally just made that up. 

As for taking it lightly, that’s in the context of the US. I understand it’s serious in China but I don’t live in China and can’t do anything to help them. I think the threat of it coming to North America is definitely being sensationalized. 

No I didn’t make it up. Here’s the link to your post in the stock thread. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/673466-stock-thread/?do=findComment&comment=22460636
You’re just being disingenuous now. That post was over a full week ago in a completely different thread before this virus got worse than it is in China now. Get lost with that. 

Lol 

I too am shocked the market is reacting to the worlds largest exporter of consumer goods (and one of the biggest consumers of everything) Effectively shutting down for week(s). 
Well I made that post almost a week before the airlines shut down and am still not insane enough to compare school shootings to tripping on a curb sooooooo

You’re just being disingenuous now. That post was over a full week ago in a completely different thread before this virus got worse than it is in China now. Get lost with that. 
You just compared the virus to a common flu in this thread 8 hours ago and pretty much every post you have made about the virus has been highly dismissive about it--mainly because it happens to be in another country. A tragedy on the other side of the world is still a tragedy and it's you that needs to get lost with your dismissiveness about it.  The fact of the matter is that there are many people in this country that don't give a damn about anything that occurs around the world until it effects them financially.   Not one post you have made shows any concern or care over the numerous lives that are getting lost just because they happen to located elsewhere.  I don't think it's me that needs to get lost with anything.   

You just compared the virus to a common flu in this thread 8 hours ago and pretty much every post you have made about the virus has been highly dismissive about it--mainly because it happens to be in another country. A tragedy on the other side of the world is still a tragedy and it's you that needs to get lost with your dismissiveness about it.  The fact of the matter is that there are many people in this country that don't give a damn about anything that occurs around the world until it effects them financially.   Not one post you have made shows any concern or care over the numerous lives that are getting lost just because they happen to located elsewhere.  I don't think it's me that needs to get lost with anything.   
Again, you’re framing my words into whatever you want them to be. I’ve never said I don’t care or have no concern for the people who have become ill of it , I’ve just said repeatedly I don’t think it will affect our country or continent and I think it’s being overblown in that regard. I don’t know any other way of saying this to you.  We don’t need to carry this on any further, clearly you’re just going to twist this how you want to see it. 

Look how seemingly reasonable people in here are panicking and lapping it up. Now imagine what the general public is like. Of course the media is going to run with it. They need the clicks. 
Yeah--I'm sorry. Your biggest flaw seems to be that you care too much.   Let me guess--I twisted your words from 8 hours ago in this very thread?  Enjoy your night. 

First death outside of China in the Philippines today.  Places like that are what scare me. Manila doesn't sound like the best place to try and contain this.

Some of you are really rooting for this thing.  GL.
NOBODY is rooting for this thing to spread. Everybody is rooting for this thing to be contained and minimized as much as possible. Some of us are just far more concerned about it than others.  Others find it okay to joke and be dismissive about it.    The fact that it's not on our shores in a huge manner doesn't make it any less concerning in my opinion. A tragedy is a tragedy regardless of geography or location.  

My company shut down all travel to mainland China without express approval of the CEO, and we have certain new precautions around our offices there and in that region of the world.  It’s on. 

My company shut down all travel to mainland China without express approval of the CEO, and we have certain new precautions around our offices there and in that region of the world.  It’s on. 
We just did the same. We have about 150k employees with a presence in over 100 countries. 

Anyone returning from China is on a mandatory 14 day self-quarantine (work from home), and are barred from company facilities.

The problem is, it's out of China now... 

There is a disease that plagues rats and bats that has found its way into humans to the point that a country that puts economics ahead of everything has shut itself down for nearly a month. Bordering countries have closed their borders, and airlines from across the world are cancelling flights right and left.  Our own government just implemented insane quarantine protocols for travelers coming from the region.  The Chinese have lied about the disease every step of that way—and you are somehow going to believe that they are honest with the numbers they are releasing. I guarantee you that the disease has killed tens of thousands of people in China—but we’ll never hear about it.  What’s disgusting is that people with common sense are being dismissive about a plague thats killing lots of people.  I’m sorry that it might hurt the prices of some of your stocks—-but hoards of people dying in any country is not something to take lightly.   I’m glad that its not over here—but that doesn’t make it any less news worthy.  
dayum

I'm going to need to call the Bell Captain to help me unpack all of that.

I'll take a break here and, at the risk of being mocked by the usual crowd, I'll offer a few tips for those wanting their families to be prepared for this in the unlikely event it becomes an issue here. 

IF this or any contagion becomes widespread here, the most likely Suggested response will be to shelter in place. 

While that doesn't sound like a huge deal, there will be an epic run on stores. Bottled water and non perishable food items will be impossible to find. Resupply/distribution channels will likely not be operating at full capacity. Being at least somewhat ready in advance will eliminate a lot of that panicked dash for resources. 

You'll need: 
Food (~1.5k to 2k cal/day per person) 
Water (~1gal/day per person)
Disinfectants (Bleach/etc to clean when returning home) 
Heat source (Gas Grill, camp stove, sterno, fire pit... to boil water / cook food)
Medication (Normal meds plus stuff like Imodium, Advil, etc). 

There's a good chance public utilities (water, power) will stay online in this scenario... but it's better to be ready for them to go down for periods.

Food
Freeze dried foods from companies like Mountain House have huge shelf life and are reasonably tasty. It can get expensive relying solely on these.

Stuff like powdered eggs and oatmeal w honey make great breakfasts that store for ages. A 25lb bag of rice is $9. Stores good on its own. BUT, if sealed in 1gal Mylar bags w oxygen absorbers ($15) and thrown in a 5 gal bucket it can last decades. Rice on its own gets old fast. But dump a ($2) can of beef stew or soup over it and you're stretching food stocks a lot. Ramen + canned chicken breast. Etc. 

Some folks talk about dried beans but IMO they are a PITA and require a ####load of h20. If you're a hardcore prepper storing food for a year+? Sure. For most folks who just wanna ride out a month or two if needed... no thanks. 

I have 45 days of food in the corner of a closet. Takes up about as much space as a mini fridge. Out of sight, but it's there. Cost a couple hundred bucks. Goal is either stuff that will last decade(s) or stuff you will eat periodically and replenish w fresh stuff.

Water

Bottled water is solid but keep it at room temp or less and out of sunlight. Takes up space though. One nice "hack" is a Water BOB.  Store under the sink. IF an emergency hits that might jeopardize the water supply, lay it in the tub and fill it up. 70-100 gallons of potable water on tap and good for 4 months. Enough to last a family of 4 a good 3 weeks in concert with a few cases of bottled drinking water. They're a godsend for folks in Hurricane zones. Minimizes having a ton of crap stored away too. 

Not going to bore with details on the rest, but If anyone has questions, I'm happy to try to help.

NOT suggesting everyone needs to do this. I know most folks won't. That's cool. Some may be curious so this might help. 

Sometimes I forget that this board can argue over any issue.  This thread reminded me, and that's with only reading the last page.
There is a difference between arguing about this and arguing if Danys motives on GOT were mapped out enough though.  

I'll take a break here and, at the risk of being mocked by the usual crowd, I'll offer a few tips for those wanting their families to be prepared for this in the unlikely event it becomes an issue here. 

IF this or any contagion becomes widespread here, the most likely Suggested response will be to shelter in place. 

While that doesn't sound like a huge deal, there will be an epic run on stores. Bottled water and non perishable food items will be impossible to find. Resupply/distribution channels will likely not be operating at full capacity. Being at least somewhat ready in advance will eliminate a lot of that panicked dash for resources. 

You'll need: 
Food (~1.5k to 2k cal/day per person) 
Water (~1gal/day per person)
Disinfectants (Bleach/etc to clean when returning home) 
Heat source (Gas Grill, camp stove, sterno, fire pit... to boil water / cook food)
Medication (Normal meds plus stuff like Imodium, Advil, etc). 

There's a good chance public utilities (water, power) will stay online in this scenario... but it's better to be ready for them to go down for periods.

Food
Freeze dried foods from companies like Mountain House have huge shelf life and are reasonably tasty. It can get expensive relying solely on these.

Stuff like powdered eggs and oatmeal w honey make great breakfasts that store for ages. A 25lb bag of rice is $9. Stores on its own but sealed in 1gal Mylar bags w oxygen absorbers ($15) and thrown in a 5 gal bucket makes them last decades. Rice on its own gets old fast. But dump a ($2) can of beef stew or soup over it and you're stretching food stocks a lot. Ramen + canned chicken breast. Etc. 

I have 45 days of food in the corner of a closet. Takes up about as much space as a mini fridge. Out of sight, but it's there. Cost a couple hundred bucks. Goal is either stuff that will last decade(s) or stuff you will eat periodically and replenish w fresh stuff.

Water

Bottled water is solid but keep it at room temp or less and out of sunlight. Takes up space though. One nice "hack" is a Water BOB.  Store under the sink. IF an emergency hits that might jeopardize the water supply, lay it in the tub and fill it up. 70-100 gallons of potable water on tap and good for 4 months. Enough to last a family of 4 a good 3 weeks in concert with a few cases of bottled drinking water. They're a godsend for folks in Hurricane zones. Minimizes having a ton of crap stored away too. 

Not going to bore with details on the rest, but If anyone has questions, I'm happy to try to help.

NOT suggesting everyone needs to do this. I know most folks won't. That's cool. Some may be curious so this might help. 
We have a ginormous deep freezer full of food but why would the power/gas ever go out? Living in Florida we always have an emergency supply of water. 

We have a ginormous deep freezer full of food but why would the power/gas ever go out? Living in Florida we always have an emergency supply of water. 
Power goes out for many during hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. Proliferation of Backup generators in that area speak to that. If you've got one you're in great shape assuming gas lines are running :thumbup:

Water lines can become untrustworthy for a range of reasons (flood, earthquake, damaged infrastructure, freezing lines, etc). Some are bigger issues than others in certain areas.

I feel like a $35 small shoebox under the sink and a few cases of bottled water is good cheap insurance. Some may not feel there's a risk there. To each their own :)  

Adding that natural gas is reliant on the power grid to maintain pressure in the lines. If the power grid is down it likely will impact natural gas lines eventually as well. Here is a study by FERC detailing some concerns. This doesn't affect all areas, but does many... to my knowledge. 

ETA: don't want to derail the thread as to the viability of preparing for stuff. Lots of resources online if someone is curious. 

One of the places that I very much worry about is India.  It’s very close in proximity to China and there has already been a few cases there.  They have a very dense population which could lead to a rapid spreading should it break loose there—and I’m not sure if their medical infrastructure could handle a potentially large volume outbreak.  As of now—it feels like there isn’t much bad news coming out of there—but that is one geographic location that I am very concerned about. 

One of the places that I very much worry about is India.  It’s very close in proximity to China and there has already been a few cases there.  They have a very dense population which could lead to a rapid spreading should it break loose there—and I’m not sure if their medical infrastructure could handle a potentially large volume outbreak.  As of now—it feels like there isn’t much bad news coming out of there—but that is one geographic location that I am very concerned about. 
Yep. India and SE Asia are ripe for this thing to go nuts. Way way higher likelihood than here. If it gets a good foothold there I think you're looking at tens if not hundreds of thousands dead. :(

I hope nothing like that happens as it would be horrible for the poor people in those countries. I feel like we are much safer here with infrastructure, etc. To be honest, China is the best positioned to deal with this. What other country could/would build two hospitals in a week. Also, not like the first time they have been done this road with SARS where they also built hospitals/infrastructure in days/weeks. 

The amount of masks at LAX was significantly higher than earlier in the week. I feel bad for airline employees with this stuff.  They are basically fish in a barrel. 

How have we gone from not that bad to full on prepper for a disease that seems to only wreck boomers?
I can't speak for everyone, but I've said repeatedly I likely don't see this being a huge issue here in the states. But ya never know. 

That said I personally set aside 6 weeks of stuff not because of this breakout, but for the next one that maybe has MERS kill rate but this spread rate. Or for when the New Madrid Faust finally breaks free and smokes our public services for a few weeks (or more). Or for any number of instances. Cheap easy insurance out of sight in the corner of a closet.

Like I said, not for everyone. If you consider that "full on prepper... boy have I got a show for you :lol:   

Regarding only wrecking boomers... pretty sure we are all older than several of the fatalities. ;)  

Here are a couple articles that detail what studies estimate the actual number of infected people in Wuhan to be.  I'd say these numbers are more in line with how the Chinese are responding to the epidemic far more than the numbers that their government is reporting. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-01-31/study-estimates-actual-coronavirus-case-count-in-wuhan-may-be-near-76-000

https://www.ccn.com/bombshell-study-estimates-75800-individuals-affected-coronavirus-wuhan/

Users who are viewing this thread