What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (7 Viewers)

Boy oh boy do I have an update for you guys! I spent New Year’s Eve with my wife’s family, a week later 4 different people(her parents and sister/brother in law)have Covid symptoms, fever, coughing, the works.
Why would you do this when it goes against everything the medical community said? Seriously, just trying to understand the thought process. 

Measles didn’t go away right away after the vaccine was introduced in 1963, but cases dropped precipitously after a more potent version was released in 1968. It took another 22 years until it really flatlined with the addition of third booster to the recommended vaccination schedule, and vaccine coverage increasing from ~60 to 90+% of the population.

Hopefully we adopt some semblance of mask use for the foreseeable future, perhaps based on rates of SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory viruses in the community. Even if that doesn’t happen, when enough people are vaccinated, the decrease in severe disease and transmissibility should allow some semblance of normalcy mid-late 2021 IMO.
That’s the dream. 

This guy said he would travel once vaccinated but I am wondering about conferences and indoor sports. I think vaccine passports will be required by certain venues and airlines. 

I travel all over the country for work, but my last flight was just over 1 year ago now. Haven’t been to my brand new office since March 11. I need out of this house!!

I’m an electrician, I’ve worked every workday since the pandemic started, and my wife works at a daycare. Trust me, there’s every probability that I got exposed and am asymptomatic. Heck, I worked at a hospital this past summer, not near Covid patients, mind you, but still on the grounds.
Funny. I had an electrician here last week and he said his doctor told him to donate his plasma because apparently he must have had asymptotic covid at some point. 

There are lots of scientists who disagree with his take on vaccinated people being vectors of transmission. 

Science isn't concrete either way, but I find it hard to believe it's non-sterilizing immunity. If antibodies are blocking the protein spike from binding to our cells, how is it entering our cells and replicating rampantly enough for sufficient viral load to shed? 

We shall see 
If you listen to the podcast he talks about the different types of immune responses for mucus membranes vs blood stream. And that these vaccines are near perfect preventing infection spreading via bloodstream, so that prevents the severe disease, but that it doesn’t do much at the point of infection, so the virus is able to colonize in the nose and throat and then be passed on to others. 

makes sense, but I also think the vaccine will help reduce viral load and therefore lessen the contagiousness or length of being contagious. 

If you listen to the podcast he talks about the different types of immune responses for mucus membranes vs blood stream. And that these vaccines are near perfect preventing infection spreading via bloodstream, so that prevents the severe disease, but that it doesn’t do much at the point of infection, so the virus is able to colonize in the nose and throat and then be passed on to others. 
If Harrison is correct ... those nasal-spray COVID preventatives/"vaccines" might end up being pretty useful. Discussed in this thread a page or two back.

EDIT: Actually, discussion on the nasal sprays starts back on page 1003.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Harrison is correct ... those nasal-spray COVID preventatives/"vaccines" might end up being pretty useful. Discussed in this thread a page or two back.
Was thinking the same thing. Who produces those or has them in trials?

it was a good listen not so much for his opinion, but him going into some more of the data from the trials and how things work. 

Well obviously they were going to gather regardless of any warnings we could have given. The enthusiasm for the vaccine among the elderly has been amazing. I’ve only come across a few people who weren’t desperately trying to get it. And general population too. The resident anti-vaxxer at work who regularly tries to get people not to take the flu vaccine, who’s family never wears a mask anywhere even wants to get it.
Yeah, I didn't mean literally for you to warn them not to gather, it's just frustrating hearing stories like that over and over and over. We're beyond the point where anyone can claim ignorance on this issue, pretty much everyone knows the risks they're taking when gathering like that.

I don't wish this on anyone, but it's also difficult to feel too badly for those who disregard the protocols and end up getting sick. I feel far worse for the people they spread it to, especially the ones who are following the protocols.

IMO that person at work should be at the very back of the line, although it's a catch 22 since the argument could be made that he should be at the front since he's more likely to spread it than most due to his careless behavior. Super frustrating.

Why would you do this when it goes against everything the medical community said? Seriously, just trying to understand the thought process. 
We had a NYE dinner with a group of 5 couples. Everyone quarantined for a week leading up to it then took a Covid test within 24 hours before the dinner. 

Amazing night. Cooked up 9lbs of Japanese A5 Wagyu filet, drank a bunch of top shelf bourbon, smoked some Cubans around the firepit and sent off 2020 properly. Just what everyone needed. 

This is all about risk management / mitigation IMO. 

Probably will be wearing a mask in a crowded indoor setting for the rest of my life. 
Nothing promised yet ... but it's possible that in the near future, you'll be able to take an over-the-counter nasal-spray COVID preventative before getting on flight, attending a ballgame, or other close-contact situations.

Funny in a karma kind of way story.... Last week my 20 year old son needed a new muffler on his car. Since it is a 2004 Altima, we weren't taking it into the dealer. There is a local muffler shop that does good work, cheap, and run by a family. Perfect place to get some exhaust work done cheap. We went up at about noon to pick up his car. My son had COVID in November, but is still super cautious. Wears a mask, sanitizes his stuff after coming home from work, etc. He and I were the only people in the place with a mask. Most places I've been recently (retail stores, etc) mask usage around here is at least 90%. Anyway, the guy behind the counter is the son of the owner. Probably about 25. He's maskless, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Not lit, just hanging there. His dad (owner probably 60 or so) is down the counter about 20 feet talking to a group of about 6 guys ranging in age 25 to like 35. NO  ONE besides myself and my son have a mask on. They are looking at a jet ski or something that is being sold. I'm watching these guys because they were all joking around and the conversation was pretty comical. The guy closest to the owner gets overwhelmed by a sneeze. He TRIES to get his hand up to catch it, but still sneezes on the owner. "Bless YOU!" the owner says as he wipes his brow.  :shock:

The owner guy handled it better than I would have. I'd have run around screaming in a circle if someone sneezed in my face. 

We had a NYE dinner with a group of 5 couples. Everyone quarantined for a week leading up to it then took a Covid test within 24 hours before the dinner. 

Amazing night. Cooked up 9lbs of Japanese A5 Wagyu filet, drank a bunch of top shelf bourbon, smoked some Cubans around the firepit and sent off 2020 properly. Just what everyone needed. 

This is all about risk management / mitigation IMO. 
That's obviously a good way to reduce risk exposure, but not foolproof. It's likely you knew that and were willing to take the small bump in risk to have that event.  I think you struck the right balance

We did something similar for XMas and the week following into NYE.  Isolated then created a pod with another family so we could have dinners together and the kids could do sleepovers.  It was great and I really miss seeing the inside of other people's houses...

Because I wanted to spend time with my wife and her family, and none of us had shown symptoms at that point.
I honestly am not criticizing you. Just took issue with your caveat to wear masks in public. You're story is proof that that caveat shouldn't have been added. You wore it in public then gathered with family not in public and assume not wearing masks. That's where it spread.

Funny in a karma kind of way story.... Last week my 20 year old son needed a new muffler on his car. Since it is a 2004 Altima, we weren't taking it into the dealer. There is a local muffler shop that does good work, cheap, and run by a family. Perfect place to get some exhaust work done cheap. We went up at about noon to pick up his car. My son had COVID in November, but is still super cautious. Wears a mask, sanitizes his stuff after coming home from work, etc. He and I were the only people in the place with a mask. Most places I've been recently (retail stores, etc) mask usage around here is at least 90%. Anyway, the guy behind the counter is the son of the owner. Probably about 25. He's maskless, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Not lit, just hanging there. His dad (owner probably 60 or so) is down the counter about 20 feet talking to a group of about 6 guys ranging in age 25 to like 35. NO  ONE besides myself and my son have a mask on. They are looking at a jet ski or something that is being sold. I'm watching these guys because they were all joking around and the conversation was pretty comical. The guy closest to the owner gets overwhelmed by a sneeze. He TRIES to get his hand up to catch it, but still sneezes on the owner. "Bless YOU!" the owner says as he wipes his brow.  :shock:

The owner guy handled it better than I would have. I'd have run around screaming in a circle if someone sneezed in my face. 
This is just insane. I am more relaxed than people on these forums (my son is practicing indoors for baseball with masks, his tutor comes over, workers in the house, we don't go crazy sanitizing, still see family/friends without masks, going to AC tonight) BUT where I live there is 99% compliance of masks in EVERY indoor place of business.

Has anyone recovered from COVID and donated convalescent plasma? How is donating plasma different than giving blood. I was talking about it with my son who is 20 and recovered from COVID. It's something he is considering, but he is a baby when it comes to needles. It would be awesome if his recovery could help someone else.

I honestly am not criticizing you. Just took issue with your caveat to wear masks in public. You're story is proof that that caveat shouldn't have been added. You wore it in public then gathered with family not in public and assume not wearing masks. That's where it spread.
True, my in-laws are/were isolating, and it still happened, thankfully everyone is on the mend. I will gladly be an example of a cautionary tale if it helps.

Has anyone recovered from COVID and donated convalescent plasma? How is donating plasma different than giving blood. I was talking about it with my son who is 20 and recovered from COVID. It's something he is considering, but he is a baby when it comes to needles. It would be awesome if his recovery could help someone else.
I donated plasma in college, it takes a couple of hours vs a few minutes for blood. The same kind of needle is inserted into your veins. The difference is the collection methods. With blood one unit (slightly less than a pint) is collected into a sterile bag and then the needle is removed. With plasma one unit of blood is collected into a centrifuge, the plasma is separated out and the rest of your blood is pumped back into your body through the same needle it came out. The blood is cooler when it pumps back in. The process is repeated several times until the required amount of plasma is collected.

jobarules said:
This is just insane. I am more relaxed than people on these forums (my son is practicing indoors for baseball with masks, his tutor comes over, workers in the house, we don't go crazy sanitizing, still see family/friends without masks, going to AC tonight) BUT where I live there is 99% compliance of masks in EVERY indoor place of business.
I’m not making a judgement one way or the other with this post, just stating facts.  Here in Georgia basically everything is open, masks aren’t worn by a lot of people and somehow our numbers aren’t horrible compared with other states.  I honestly don’t get it.

I’m not making a judgement one way or the other with this post, just stating facts.  Here in Georgia basically everything is open, masks aren’t worn by a lot of people and somehow our numbers aren’t horrible compared with other states.  I honestly don’t get it.
What percentage of people do you see wearing masks indoors and outdoors in Georgia?

[icon] said:
There are lots of scientists who disagree with his take on vaccinated people being vectors of transmission. 

Science isn't concrete either way, but I find it hard to believe it's non-sterilizing immunity. If antibodies are blocking the protein spike from binding to our cells, how is it entering our cells and replicating rampantly enough for sufficient viral load to shed? 

We shall see 
I don't think scientists are arguing antibodies don't neutralize the virus, including minimizing replication once the immune system is activated. The problem is antibodies aren't omnipresent, and immune activation takes time - usually several days after re-exposure. During that time the virus can replicate and potentially spread. Coronaviruses also have mechanisms which delay/attenuate the first-line innate responses, which usually keep infections in check while specific antibodies are manufactured.

In the short term, high antibody levels present in the blood post-vaccination should make that response more rapid, but those antibodies will wane with time, after which we'll rely primarily on ramping up their production post-re-exposure. Complicating matters are logistics related to mucosal immunity, which is more prone to lose "memory" to infections related to rapid cell turnover. Plus there is extra time involved in converting antibodies present in the blood (IgG/M) to those on the mucous membranes (IgA).

And I haven't even factored in the possibility immune responses are impaired by mutated viruses, as appears to be the case with the South African variant at least. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm on-record saying we'll be in a better place in the next 6 months or so. But scientists urging caution until we see the results of mass vaccination are certainly warranted in their concerns. There are multiple precedents suggesting vaccinated individuals can spread infection. Personally, I'm much more worried we'll struggle to get enough people vaccinated.

top dog said:

i would absolutely lose my #### if this happened to me. 

humpback said:
Yeah, I didn't mean literally for you to warn them not to gather, it's just frustrating hearing stories like that over and over and over. We're beyond the point where anyone can claim ignorance on this issue, pretty much everyone knows the risks they're taking when gathering like that.

I don't wish this on anyone, but it's also difficult to feel too badly for those who disregard the protocols and end up getting sick. I feel far worse for the people they spread it to, especially the ones who are following the protocols.

IMO that person at work should be at the very back of the line, although it's a catch 22 since the argument could be made that he should be at the front since he's more likely to spread it than most due to his careless behavior. Super frustrating.
Oh I completely agree. The percentage of cases that are due to people’s stupid choices has to be pretty high. The amount of stories that I’ve heard from patients about their COVID cases usually involved them, their family member or close friends making a poor choice and then infecting everyone around them. The amount of true work place exposure seems to be low.

The contrast that I see on a daily basis is depressing. I’ll go from giving a shot to someone who is relieved to finally get an appointment after days of struggling with a website to a middle aged couple who still refuse to wear a mask. Luckily the positives have far outweighed the negatives.

top dog said:

Minus the sneeze part this is what it was like when I walked into the auto electric shop last week(had to replace my starter). I was only guy in a mask. I know the owners and would have bet good money if I could have that they were antimaskers. 

Funny thing is I used to work at this place and I hated how every night I had to deep clean my nasal cavity from all the metal dust. I wish I would have worn a mask every day back then. Would be all over them today. 

What percentage of people do you see wearing masks indoors and outdoors in Georgia?
It can be anywhere from 10/20% up to 50%.  Most restaurants are open and many fully open for dine in.  

My son has had basketball all season.  I’d say 40-50% of the people don’t wear masks although most everyone spreads out.

I’m somewhat convinced our number of cases has to be a lot more than recorded.  There’s lots of people around here who won’t go to the doctor, don’t want to be a COVID case, won’t quarantine, etc.

My point is, at least in Georgia, life is mostly back to normal for a lot of people. Mask wearing aside.

ETA - I should provide the caveat of - everywhere except maybe parts of Atlanta.

Not GA but her neighbor South Carolina where Rona seems to be flourishing...in my small part of the world, most everyone is masked up but my ventures into the world are limited to an occasional trip to Walmart & the gas station. I am posting though because of a situation that occurred yesterday.

Our church moved into a new building late last year but it was unfinished so we were online to start 2020 anyhow as the church is built out. We've been having church in the parking lot with everyone in their cars and it's worked well. The weather has cooperated all but one weekend when it was raining so hard they gave the option to go inside if you wanted. We didn't at that time and just listened in the parking lot as normal. Fast forward to this weekend. Raining again so decided to have church inside the almost finished building. We went in because I had to pick up a piece of equipment we had rented for them to use anyhow. Everyone was socially distanced but of the 31 people inside, only 6 1/2 were wearing a mask. I was disappointed but the congregation is made up of a fair amount of 'just a flu' folks and a handful who've already had it. Think everyone is just lockdown tired.

Pharmacies now getting involved in PA Vaccines more.  Rite-Aid has started booking appointments and seems to have a system better then all the health care systems so far. My wife who is a teacher and diabetic was able to get an appointment for the 13th. Hopefully they have vaccine available and it doesn't dry up. Pennsylvania still only showing 45% of doses in arms.

We have now had 12 consecutive days of vaccinations over a million in the US.  The seven-day rolling average is 1.35 mil.  President Biden has signalled the new daily goal is 1.5 million, which I believe is a pretty safe bet. We probably need approval of the J & J vax to do a whole lot more.  

We have now had 12 consecutive days of vaccinations over a million in the US.  The seven-day rolling average is 1.35 mil.  President Biden has signalled the new daily goal is 1.5 million, which I believe is a pretty safe bet. We probably need approval of the J & J vax to do a whole lot more.  
Probably worth noting here that the EU has approved the AstraZeneca vaccine, but our FDA can't be bothered to act on it for a couple more months.

Probably worth noting here that the EU has approved the AstraZeneca vaccine, but our FDA can't be bothered to act on it for a couple more months.
Apparently the FDA is only going to approve any of the vaccines after the US trial is completed and submitted for EUA.  So that means a few more weeks on the AstraZeneca vax as they wrap up their US trail.  J&J is done, but they still need to submit theirs and go through whatever 2-3 week red-tape process.

The Novavax vaccine was not a US trial, so while that one looks really good they aren't expecting that one to be approved here for many, many months.  The trials were elsewhere. I guess it's at least good that other countries can benefit from it. 

It is hard to reconcile that we are in the middle of the worst pandemic in like 100 years, but apparently it's not so bad that the FDA feels the need to waive any of their requirements that could bring additional tools to end this thing sooner,  

Got my second dose of Moderna on Friday morning. Felt fine Friday. Felt like crap on Saturday. Laid in bed and slept off and on all day. Rebounded by Sunday morning. 
My wife got her second dose last week too.  She said she didn't really feel sick per se, just very achy and she couldn't drag herself out of bed the day after.  One of her co-workers apparently got knocked to the couch for a couple of days.  

Regardless, congrats!  Jealous of those of you who have gotten the vaccine.

Not as well versed with the AZ trial, but didnt they stumble into the dosing? Didnt they have like zero people over 55 in the trial? Arent euro countries deciding to not use it on the majority of at risk patients? 

I am pretty sure those things are true, but too lazy to dig. 

Got my second dose of Moderna on Friday morning. Felt fine Friday. Felt like crap on Saturday. Laid in bed and slept off and on all day. Rebounded by Sunday morning. 
That's the same thing I am hearing anecdotally as well.  With Moderna second does, you get a 24hr period of flu like symptoms.  Not hearing the same on Pfizer, but I don't know as many people who got that one.

***Cross quoting from the Biden Response thread because this isn't really a political thing that has anything to do with Biden.

Fewer than 10 million Johnson & Johnson vaccine doses would be available in coming weeks, health official says

I don't know who the Health Officials are who are saying this, but they are expecting a lot fewer doses available than the J&J board member was saying last week.  Less than 10m to start, which was expected, but only 20-30M by April.  Since it's a one and done shot, that's pretty meaningful.  I just don't get why that board member was over promising their capacity. 

My point is, at least in Georgia, life is mostly back to normal for a lot of people. Mask wearing aside.

ETA - I should provide the caveat of - everywhere except maybe parts of Atlanta.
In middle Georgia here...I agree, everything is open and practically normal.  Has been the whole time.  My 3 kids go to three different schools and haven't missed a day all year from COVID or quarentine.  My wife is a teacher too, hasn't missed.  It is not spreading in schools.  I do notice higher mask wearing in our town than you see...I would say closer to 75% inside.  No one really wears them outside.

***Cross quoting from the Biden Response thread because this isn't really a political thing that has anything to do with Biden.

Fewer than 10 million Johnson & Johnson vaccine doses would be available in coming weeks, health official says

I don't know who the Health Officials are who are saying this, but they are expecting a lot fewer doses available than the J&J board member was saying last week.  Less than 10m to start, which was expected, but only 20-30M by April.  Since it's a one and done shot, that's pretty meaningful.  I just don't get why that board member was over promising their capacity. 
My source says - they are ready to go when they get approval.  I dont know where the health official is getting their info but my info says its higher - *my source could technically be wrong I guess

That's the same thing I am hearing anecdotally as well.  With Moderna second does, you get a 24hr period of flu like symptoms.  Not hearing the same on Pfizer, but I don't know as many people who got that one.

The reactions to the second Pfizer shot is definitely stronger than the first as advertised. My wife and her coworkers had no reactions I heard of the first time around. They were getting their second shots last week. My wife had her second shot Tursday and developed a bruise under the skin of her index finger on the same side as both injections, left. She experienced a little more arm soreness the second time as did most of her coworkers some experienced a lot more soreness and difficulty raising their arm. One person has a red ring around the injection site that is warm to the touch. With the flu shot some people say they've gotten the flu from it, actually it's just the body reacting similar to getting the flu ie raising body temperature. Some coworkers are experiencing fever, light headedness, elevated pulse rate one person was at 147 beats per minute, lowered O2 readings the same person at 147bpm usually is in the normal range was at 94, nausea is common, also common is body aches one person described it as feeling as if he had fallen off a cliff and had been chewed up by wolves. At least 2 coworkers were unable to finish their shift. Most of the reactions were hitting people 50 and under. There is a good percentage of coworkers nearing retirement age that are in their 50s and early 60s. The more intense reactions are probably representative of the increased protection the second shot provides. Again this is the Pfizer vaccine.

My wife isn't sure how many coworkers have received their second shot or how many she has in total.

All this info will not prevent me from getting vaccinated when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread