Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

7 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

What are the symptoms of this thing? I've sneezed like 5 times today already. It could be allergies though.

/ignored

4 hours ago, culdeus said:

we gonna overlook the moving body bag in one of those shots?

my link

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

It is an island. ūü§∑‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

so is Australia

I'll take a break here and, at the risk of being mocked by the usual crowd, I'll offer a few tips for those wanting their families to be prepared for this in the unlikely event it becomes an issue here. 

IF this or any contagion becomes widespread here, the most likely Suggested response will be to shelter in place. 

While that doesn't sound like a huge deal, there will be an epic run on stores. Bottled water and non perishable food items will be impossible to find. Resupply/distribution channels will likely not be operating at full capacity. Being at least somewhat ready in advance will eliminate a lot of that panicked dash for resources. 

You'll need: 
Food (~1.5k to 2k cal/day per person) 
Water (~1gal/day per person)
Disinfectants (Bleach/etc to clean when returning home) 
Heat source (Gas Grill, camp stove, sterno, fire pit... to boil water / cook food)
Medication (Normal meds plus stuff like Imodium, Advil, etc). 

There's a good chance public utilities (water, power) will stay online in this scenario... but it's better to be ready for them to go down for periods.

Food: 
Freeze dried foods from companies like Mountain House have huge shelf life and are reasonably tasty. It can get expensive relying solely on these.

Stuff like powdered eggs and oatmeal w honey make great breakfasts that store for ages. A 25lb bag of rice is $9. Stores good on its own. BUT, if sealed in 1gal Mylar bags w oxygen absorbers ($15) and thrown in a 5 gal bucket it can last decades. Rice on its own gets old fast. But dump a ($2) can of beef stew or soup over it and you're stretching food stocks a lot. Ramen + canned chicken breast. Etc. 

Some folks talk about dried beans but IMO they are a PITA and require a ####load of h20. If you're a hardcore prepper storing food for a year+? Sure. For most folks who just wanna ride out a month or two if needed... no thanks. 

I have 45 days of food in the corner of a closet. Takes up about as much space as a mini fridge. Out of sight, but it's there. Cost a couple hundred bucks. Goal is either stuff that will last decade(s) or stuff you will eat periodically and replenish w fresh stuff.

Water: 

Bottled water is solid but keep it at room temp or less and out of sunlight. Takes up space though. One nice "hack" is a Water BOB.  Store under the sink. IF an emergency hits that might jeopardize the water supply, lay it in the tub and fill it up. 70-100 gallons of potable water on tap and good for 4 months. Enough to last a family of 4 a good 3 weeks in concert with a few cases of bottled drinking water. They're a godsend for folks in Hurricane zones. Minimizes having a ton of crap stored away too. 

Not going to bore with details on the rest, but If anyone has questions, I'm happy to try to help.

NOT suggesting everyone needs to do this. I know most folks won't. That's cool. Some may be curious so this might help. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

22 minutes ago, Mjolnirs said:

Sometimes I forget that this board can argue over any issue.  This thread reminded me, and that's with only reading the last page.

You're completely off base here.

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Mjolnirs said:

Sometimes I forget that this board can argue over any issue.  This thread reminded me, and that's with only reading the last page.

There is a difference between arguing about this and arguing if Danys motives on GOT were mapped out enough though.  

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I'll take a break here and, at the risk of being mocked by the usual crowd, I'll offer a few tips for those wanting their families to be prepared for this in the unlikely event it becomes an issue here. 

IF this or any contagion becomes widespread here, the most likely Suggested response will be to shelter in place. 

While that doesn't sound like a huge deal, there will be an epic run on stores. Bottled water and non perishable food items will be impossible to find. Resupply/distribution channels will likely not be operating at full capacity. Being at least somewhat ready in advance will eliminate a lot of that panicked dash for resources. 

You'll need: 
Heat source (Gas Grill, camp stove, sterno, fire pit... to boil water / cook food)

There's a good chance public utilities (water, power) will stay online in this scenario... but it's better to be ready for them to go down for periods.

Food: 
Freeze dried foods from companies like Mountain House have huge shelf life and are reasonably tasty. It can get expensive relying solely on these.

Stuff like powdered eggs and oatmeal w honey make great breakfasts that store for ages. A 25lb bag of rice is $9. Stores on its own but sealed in 1gal Mylar bags w oxygen absorbers ($15) and thrown in a 5 gal bucket makes them last decades. Rice on its own gets old fast. But dump a ($2) can of beef stew or soup over it and you're stretching food stocks a lot. Ramen + canned chicken breast. Etc. 

I have 45 days of food in the corner of a closet. Takes up about as much space as a mini fridge. Out of sight, but it's there. Cost a couple hundred bucks. Goal is either stuff that will last decade(s) or stuff you will eat periodically and replenish w fresh stuff.

Water: 

Bottled water is solid but keep it at room temp or less and out of sunlight. Takes up space though. One nice "hack" is a Water BOB.  Store under the sink. IF an emergency hits that might jeopardize the water supply, lay it in the tub and fill it up. 70-100 gallons of potable water on tap and good for 4 months. Enough to last a family of 4 a good 3 weeks in concert with a few cases of bottled drinking water. They're a godsend for folks in Hurricane zones. Minimizes having a ton of crap stored away too. 

Not going to bore with details on the rest, but If anyone has questions, I'm happy to try to help.

NOT suggesting everyone needs to do this. I know most folks won't. That's cool. Some may be curious so this might help. 

We have a ginormous deep freezer full of food but why would the power/gas ever go out? Living in Florida we always have an emergency supply of water. 

14 minutes ago, Capella said:

We have a ginormous deep freezer full of food but why would the power/gas ever go out? Living in Florida we always have an emergency supply of water. 

Power goes out for many during hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. Proliferation of Backup generators in that area speak to that. If you've got one you're in great shape assuming gas lines are running :thumbup:

Water lines can become untrustworthy for a range of reasons (flood, earthquake, damaged infrastructure, freezing lines, etc). Some are bigger issues than others in certain areas.

I feel like a $35 small shoebox under the sink and a few cases of bottled water is good cheap insurance. Some may not feel there's a risk there. To each their own :) 

Adding that natural gas is reliant on the power grid to maintain pressure in the lines. If the power grid is down it likely will impact natural gas lines eventually as well. Here is a study by FERC detailing some concerns. This doesn't affect all areas, but does many... to my knowledge. 

ETA: don't want to derail the thread as to the viability of preparing for stuff. Lots of resources online if someone is curious. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Thanks 1

One of the places that I very much worry about is India. ¬†It‚Äôs very close in proximity to China and there has already been a few cases there. ¬†They have a very dense population which could lead to a rapid spreading should it break loose there‚ÄĒand I‚Äôm not sure if their medical infrastructure could handle a potentially large volume outbreak. ¬†As of now‚ÄĒit feels like there isn‚Äôt much bad news coming out of there‚ÄĒbut that is one geographic location that I am very concerned about.¬†

17 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

One of the places that I very much worry about is India. ¬†It‚Äôs very close in proximity to China and there has already been a few cases there. ¬†They have a very dense population which could lead to a rapid spreading should it break loose there‚ÄĒand I‚Äôm not sure if their medical infrastructure could handle a potentially large volume outbreak. ¬†As of now‚ÄĒit feels like there isn‚Äôt much bad news coming out of there‚ÄĒbut that is one geographic location that I am very concerned about.¬†

Yep. India and SE Asia are ripe for this thing to go nuts. Way way higher likelihood than here. If it gets a good foothold there I think you're looking at tens if not hundreds of thousands dead. :(

Edited by [icon]

I hope nothing like that happens as it would be horrible for the poor people in those countries. I feel like we are much safer here with infrastructure, etc. To be honest, China is the best positioned to deal with this. What other country could/would build two hospitals in a week. Also, not like the first time they have been done this road with SARS where they also built hospitals/infrastructure in days/weeks. 

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

Food: 

Stuff like powdered eggs and oatmeal w honey make great breakfasts that store for ages. A 25lb bag of rice is $9. Stores good on its own. BUT, if sealed in 1gal Mylar bags w oxygen absorbers ($15) and thrown in a 5 gal bucket it can last decades. Rice on its own gets old fast. But dump a ($2) can of beef stew or soup over it and you're stretching food stocks a lot. Ramen + canned chicken breast. Etc. 

Some folks talk about dried beans but IMO they are a PITA and require a ####load of h20. If you're a hardcore prepper storing food for a year+? Sure. For most folks who just wanna ride out a month or two if needed... no thanks. 

I keep spaghetti and tomato sauce (gotta have some vegetables) for winter storm preparation.  They last a while and come in small packages that I can consume and replenish (on sale) over time.

Edited by bradyfan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

Water: 

Just ordered a Water BOB on Amazon. That seems like a reasonable thing to have on hand. 

If cases in States start to show signs of increase, I’ll do a food run and get camping supplies for cooking, earlier than most will. But seems unwarranted yet. In a pinch, could feed my family of 4 on what we have in the pantry for probably a month. 

Would add water purification tablets as another good thing to have in stock, to broader supply of water if needed. Here, for example, there are plenty of water shed, creeks within walking distance that could be used, but the water would need to be boiled and le purified with tablets.

Edited by Mr. Ham

How have we gone from not that bad to full on prepper for a disease that seems to only wreck boomers?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

The amount of masks at LAX was significantly higher than earlier in the week. I feel bad for airline employees with this stuff.  They are basically fish in a barrel. 

40 minutes ago, culdeus said:

How have we gone from not that bad to full on prepper for a disease that seems to only wreck boomers?

The only reason I even have face masks in my Apocalypse Cabinet is because I bought 2 boxes after Swine Flu 2009.  The best time to prepare is BEFORE you need it. This is not necessarily because you are paranoid but because other people tend to panic easily.

Edited by bradyfan

44 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I've said repeatedly I likely don't see this being a huge issue here in the states. But ya never know. 

That said I personally set aside 6 weeks of stuff not because of this breakout, but for the next one that maybe has MERS kill rate but this spread rate. Or for when the New Madrid Faust finally breaks free and smokes our public services for a few weeks (or more). Or for any number of instances. Cheap easy insurance out of sight in the corner of a closet.

Like I said, not for everyone. If you consider that "full on prepper... boy have I got a show for you :lol:  

Regarding only wrecking boomers... pretty sure we are all older than several of the fatalities. ;) 

Edited by [icon]

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I've said repeatedly I likely don't see this being a huge issue here in the states. But ya never know. 

That said I personally set aside 6 weeks of stuff not because of this breakout, but for the next one that maybe has MERS kill rate but this spread rate. Or for when the New Madrid Faust finally breaks free and smokes our public services for a few weeks (or more). Or for any number of instances. Cheap easy insurance out of sight in the corner of a closet.

Like I said, not for everyone. If you consider that "full on prepper... boy have I got a show for you :lol:  

Regarding only wrecking boomers... pretty sure we are all older than several of the fatalities. ;) 

Here’s my rationalization. I find myself 2-3 times a year in Vegas for conferences, and would historically set aside $300 to lose at tables per trip. These days, I find myself gambling much less. But if I am willing to allocate close to a grand a year as an entertainment expense for gambling, then seems silly that I won’t drop half of that on an insurance policy that gives me piece of mind that family would be safe for 2-3 weeks at home if needed. It’s unlikely, but makes a ton more sense than throwing cash away at a blackjack table.

• Like 2

Reports Here and elsewhere that recovered/cured patients are still transmitting the virus.

5 minutes ago, Jobber said:

Reports Here and elsewhere that recovered/cured patients are still transmitting the virus.

:eek: 

If true, THAT's a pretty ####ed up cheat code for this virus to have...

11 hours ago, Hov34 said:

Some of you are really rooting for this thing.  GL.

I'm rooting for Sweet Meteor O'Death, but the coronavirus can hold me over for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4

47 minutes ago, Jobber said:

Super scary, but one of those things we’ll know in the next 2 weeks. If any of this is true, you’d expect to see exponential growth in cases in every one of the places it’s emerged, plus thousands of new places depending on how widely it can spread and whether it can be caught via airborne transmission. We need to wait through the week to two week incubation period, and then 4 days or so of test results, before we know to what degree this information is relevant.

Edited by Mr. Ham

Here are a couple articles that detail what studies estimate the actual number of infected people in Wuhan to be.  I'd say these numbers are more in line with how the Chinese are responding to the epidemic far more than the numbers that their government is reporting. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-01-31/study-estimates-actual-coronavirus-case-count-in-wuhan-may-be-near-76-000

https://www.ccn.com/bombshell-study-estimates-75800-individuals-affected-coronavirus-wuhan/

7 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Here are a couple articles that detail what studies estimate the actual number of infected people in Wuhan to be.  I'd say these numbers are more in line with how the Chinese are responding to the epidemic far more than the numbers that their government is reporting. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-01-31/study-estimates-actual-coronavirus-case-count-in-wuhan-may-be-near-76-000

https://www.ccn.com/bombshell-study-estimates-75800-individuals-affected-coronavirus-wuhan/

Said it before, but Spanish Flu was named such because Spain was the only nation reporting accurate details. It was reported as a Spanish phenomenon, but it was the same infection and death rates in many countries. 

Lying to protect economic interests and avoid panic is not new. Historically, it is a norm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Said it before, but Spanish Flu was named such because Spain was the only nation reporting accurate details. It was reported as a Spanish phenomenon, but it was the same infection and death rates in many countries. 

Lying to protect economic interests and avoid panic is not new. Historically, it is a norm.

The 1918 Flu Pandemic originated in China.  Most flu strains also start in China. 

Edited by bradyfan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

The 1918 Flu Pandemic originated in China.  Most flu strains also start in China. 

There have been lots of rumors and speculation about the origins of the 1918 pandemic, but nothing has ever been confirmed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

3 hours ago, bradyfan said:

I keep spaghetti and tomato sauce (gotta have some vegetables) for winter storm preparation.  They last a while and come in small packages that I can consume and replenish (on sale) over time.

I prefer food that I can eat periodically.  Other 1-2 week storm-prep ideas:

• Dried beans and lentils.
  • Frozen vegetables:¬†peas, corn broccoli, cauliflower, etc.¬†I don‚Äôt worry about power outage during winter because I can keep¬†them in a cooler outdoors¬†here in New¬†England.
  • Canned tuna fish and¬†loaf¬†of frozen pumpernickel or¬†rye in the freezer.

BTW, also check on your pet food and toilet paper supply :)

Edited by bradyfan

38 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised.  An ancillary effect would be to downgrade whatever mortality figure you are working with significantly.

12 hours ago, [icon] said:

Water: 

Ordered the BOB. Living in South Florida it would also be useful for hurricane season.

• Like 2

Have an emergency call. During the Superbowl to decide wtf to do. This thing can go #### itself.   

29 minutes ago, proteus126 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised.  An ancillary effect would be to downgrade whatever mortality figure you are working with significantly.

Probably, but not necessarily. There were reports last week of bodies being incinerated that weren’t being counted. 

32 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Have an emergency call. During the Superbowl to decide wtf to do. This thing can go #### itself.   

Hey look, KC-SF isn't my ideal matchup either, but that's kind of harsh criticism don't you think?

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 4

Ivan on a roll today :lol: 

37 minutes ago, culdeus said:

What do you do? Why can’t it happen earlier?

36 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

What do you do? Why can’t it happen earlier?

We just evac a ton of people and it's hard to consult if you don't actually have people there and hard to make money if china isn't doing anything.  

The read is from where I'm at is we won't put anybody back till 2Q.  

This has potential to just upend everything if china keeps the CNY going and you can't fly there. 

4 hours ago, [icon] said:

there's nothing wrong with being prepared for bad things.  It doesn't really cost that much.  At the end of the day, I'd much rather have stuff I don't need than need stuff I don't have.  

not a response to [icon], just adding to his post:

IIRC, FEMA says everyone should be prepared to survive for 72 hours without services.  They assume that after a major disaster (hurricane, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc), they will eventually have emergency services in place, but it may take up to 3 days for that to happen.  That's the bare minimum level of preparedness everyone should have.  going beyond that is a personal choice but again, I'd prefer to be ready for more.

I've gone 2+ weeks without power after a hurricane several times.  I have an idea what it's like.  It's not fun, but it is doable.

• Thanks 1

here's the bare minimum I ask my wife and family to do: if you think something is about to go down, keep your gas tank full.  When things went bad after the hurricanes, everyone was using generators to keep their fridges going.  Unfortunately, the gas stations at the time didn't have generator back-ups so there was no way to get more gas, even if the refineries were running and their trucks could make it in.  

Gasoline becomes the most valuable commodity because in addition to generators, gasoline meant the ability to travel to somewhere where supplies were not scarce.  

I don't think I'm being to prepper paranoid by simply asking everyone to fill 'er up if it drops below 1/2 a tank.  All I'm saying is that you don't want to be the guy running on fumes if the gas stations run down.  And, it's not like you aren't going to use the gas anyways.

14 hours ago, [icon] said:

You'll need: 

Food: 

Water: 

Great. We've gone full apocalyptic prepper here. :rolleyes:  You want to share your guns and ammo stockpile while you're at it?

1 hour ago, bradyfan said:

BTW, also check on your pet food and toilet paper supply :)

This is where things would get interesting. I see how much toilet paper this family of four goes through in a week and I am not sure how I could ever be prepared for an emergency. We would need like a room full of tp to fully survive any disaster. 

• Laughing 2

Gonna say if this thing does go thanos on the olds out there I wouldn't really cry.  /s

Edited by culdeus
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Gonna say if this thing does go thanos on the olds out there I wouldn't really cry.  

That’s a really ####ty sentiment.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

That’s a really ####ty sentiment.

Should have punctuated it with more sacrasm indicators. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Should have punctuated it with more sacrasm indicators. 

Just spent the past couple of days with my dad in ICU after emergency surgery, so particularly sensitive to how this might play with the older set. A little less funny since it hits close to home. Have elderly grandparents (90s) whom aren’t going to live forever, but I wouldn’t want to go out on something like this, and they have an especially hard time dealing with day-to-day living without more challenges. 

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Love 1

I thought preppers were more worried about an EPMD pulse blast? Now they're jumping on the virus bandwagon?

Pick a team.

6 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

I thought preppers were more worried about an EPMD pulse blast? Now they're jumping on the virus bandwagon?

Pick a team.

They were my favorite rap group until about 1992.

Edited by fissure man
  • Like 4
  • Laughing 2

6 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Pick a team.

Preppers prep for things they plan on surviving.   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

When my wife watches shows about the end of the world, I've always said a runaway virus was the most likely eventuality. Given our proclivity to pump ourselves full of meds at the first sign of a sniffle, it is/was only a matter of time before one of those microscopic boogers mutates to the point of being totally resistant.

2 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

When my wife watches shows about the end of the world, I've always said a runaway virus was the most likely eventuality. Given our proclivity to pump ourselves full of meds at the first sign of a sniffle, it is/was only a matter of time before one of those microscopic boogers mutates to the point of being totally resistant.

I'd lean AI taking over the world or nuclear blasts all over.