What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (19 Viewers)

23:55: China’s National Health Commission reports 675 additional cases across the mainland. Their locations have not yet been disclosed.

23:14: 10 new cases in Japan. They were found on a cruise ship off Yokohama.

23:55: China’s National Health Commission reports 675 additional cases across the mainland. Their locations have not yet been disclosed.

23:14: 10 new cases in Japan. They were found on a cruise ship off Yokohama.
Oof. You have to wonder about pretty much everyone else on that cruise ship. 

China CDC Situation Report on Feb-04

Suspected cases: +3971 new  ==>  23260 total

Confirmed cases: +3887 new  ==>  24324 total

Severe: +431 new  ==>  3219 total

Dead: +65 new  ==>  490 total

Recovered: +262 new  ==>  892 total
Can I get the same stats for the flu this year?

Can I get the same stats for the flu this year?
You trust the stats that the Chinese government is releasing more than you do our CDC?  You think countries shut down air travel, rail travel, bordering countries shut down their borders, giant hospitals are built in a matter of days, sports arenas are being used as make shift hospitals due to something similar to the flu?  You think a country shuts down it’s entire economy for weeks for a disease that is similar to the flu?  Can we all just drop the flu comparisons as it’s insulting and ridiculous and defies the existence of common sense. I seriously don’t understand why smart people choose to be naive when there is a mountain of evidence showing how serious something is. 

You trust the stats that the Chinese government is releasing more than you do our CDC?  You think countries shut down air travel, rail travel, bordering countries shut down their borders, giant hospitals are built in a matter of days, sports arenas are being used as make shift hospitals due to something similar to the flu?  You think a country shuts down it’s entire economy for weeks for a disease that is similar to the flu?  Can we all just drop the flu comparisons as it’s insulting and ridiculous and defies the existence of common sense. I seriously don’t understand why smart people choose to be naive when there is a mountain of evidence showing how serious something is. 
You might be 100% right.  I never said action against the coronavirus is wrong.  But we need to keep away from fear tactics.

You might be 100% right.  I never said action against the coronavirus is wrong.  But we need to keep away from fear tactics.
Facts are facts. The Chinese have lied about EVERYTHING in regards to this disease.  Virtually every person on the ground in China that can get out is getting out.  Companies are shuttering their businesses.  The Chinese government is threatening prison time for people that post on social media about how the disease is spreading. One of the most respected medical journals (Lancet) says that most likely 78000 people are infected in just one region.   Looking at evidence and being realistic is not engaging in fear tactics. What is more dangerous is people that trivialize and are dismissive of something that has almost certainly killed thousands of people. No country on the face of the Earth would react to something even twice as bad as the flu as whats going on here.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Example, Ebola never was controlling the stock market.  But this is.

Facts are facts. The Chinese have lied about EVERYTHING in regards to this disease.  Virtually every person on the ground in China that can get out is getting out.  Companies are shuttering their businesses.  The Chinese government is threatening prison time for people that post on social media about how the ramped the disease is spreading. One of the most respected medical journals (Lancet) says that most likely 78000 people are infected in just one region.   Looking at evidence and being realistic is not engaging in feat tactics. What is more dangerous is people that trivialize and are dismissive of something that has almost certainly killed thousands of people. No country on the face of the Earth would react to something even twice as bad as the flu as whats going on here.  
Okay again, on NPR they interviewed an American student quarenteened there in China.  He seemed less convinced than you.  I could be wrong.

Facts are facts. The Chinese have lied about EVERYTHING in regards to this disease.  Virtually every person on the ground in China that can get out is getting out.  Companies are shuttering their businesses.  The Chinese government is threatening prison time for people that post on social media about how the ramped the disease is spreading. One of the most respected medical journals (Lancet) says that most likely 78000 people are infected in just one region.   Looking at evidence and being realistic is not engaging in feat tactics. What is more dangerous is people that trivialize and are dismissive of something that has almost certainly killed thousands of people. No country on the face of the Earth would react to something even twice as bad as the flu as whats going on here.  
You really think China wants this to run through everyone?  

You really think China wants this to run through everyone?  
I think that China is a country whose economy is largely dependent on foreign investment, tourism, foreign companies having a presence there.   If they release actual numbers about what the virus is doing—they don’t have to worry about a bad economic quarter or two—they have to worry about a potential long term erosion of a lot of their economic fundamentals.  They have an interest to downplay the severity of the crisis and their words do not match their actions at all.   Scientists and experts in virology are saying that the numbers they are claiming are low—-and no other country seems to believe them as travel restrictions are popping up right and left. When was the last time anybody ever implemented travel restrictions on us-even though the flu numbers are exponentially worse than what’s being reported now?

I think that China is a country whose economy is largely dependent on foreign investment, tourism, foreign companies having a presence there.   If they release actual numbers about what the virus is doing—they don’t have to worry about a bad economic quarter or two—they have to worry about a potential long term erosion of a lot of their economic fundamentals.  They have an interest to downplay the severity of the crisis and their words do not match their actions at all.   Scientists and experts in virology are saying that the numbers they are claiming are low—-and no other country seems to believe them as travel restrictions are popping up right and left. When was the last time anybody ever implemented travel restrictions on us-even though the flu numbers are exponentially worse than what’s being reported now?
Restrictions, probably never, but the economic impact means nothing if their entire country gets taken out.  We would never build a hospital in 10 days.  In fact, I don't see how good that could be.  Economics would be my last worry no matter what nationally I am.  Humans are humans.  In crisis money doesn't matter unless you are real evil.

hippos are cool.  closely related to whales.
Fun fact: Pablo Escobar brought in a couple hippos to be part of his zoo in Colombia. Those 2 have now become more than 80, and they are now an invasive species, effing up the local lakes and rivers with their prodigious amounts of waste.

Random said:
I'm no expert, but viruses kill much differently than hippos.  You can't wait until 2% of the population is dead to react.
What if it’s not a virus but it’s microscopic hippos we are dealing with here.

Drafting those first in the 2020 Deadly Animal Draft.

What if it’s not a virus but it’s microscopic hippos we are dealing with here.
:eek:  

This would explain the incredibly fast spread. If you put a hippo and a virus on the start line, Hippo would reach the finish line way way faster. 

The 10 infected are 2 Australians, 3 Japanese, 3 passengers from Hong Kong, 1 from the US in addition to 1 Filipino crew member.

2,666 guests and 1,045 staff members are quarantined aboard the ship for 14 days.  428 of them are American.
This is my worst nightmare on a cruise ship, I truly feel for those folks

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I’ve been following the link above, with numbers compiled by several sources including CDC and WHO. Going by that, the rate seems to have slowed from the 25% per day, and rate remains stagnant is other countries. On the surface, this is encouraging. Except, can’t trust the numbers out of China, we’re within the incubation period in the other countries, and testing isn’t wide or fast enough to quickly identify new cases.  But on the surface, things seem to be plateauing.
Yeah, I check that site every day. I guess the lower % increase is good if it is to be believed. Just wondering if there is a date range when it could be expected that numbers actually start to go down?

It is too bad DeForest Kelley has passed on.  "Bones" always came up with vaccines for incurable diseases in the span of a 60-minute TV show

folks can say what they want about cruises sucking balls, and i tend to agree ... but that customer to staff ratio is fabulous  :shrug:
I was hugely anti Cruise but got dragged on one with the folks for their 70th bday. Can't say no. 

Celebrity Equinox: 2850 passengers / 1250 staff. 
It was badass. Beautiful Ship. Waited on hand and foot. Each night at dinner had Head Waiter, 2 assistant waiters, sommelier, and a cocktail waitress. Same staff all trip. Cabin steward was ridiculous. Somehow knew when we were gone (barely saw him) but every time we left and came back the place was spotless with everything folded and stacked neatly. Bartenders around the ship knew your name by day 2. Zero kids on the ship. Food was surprisingly very good (and I'm a food snob). 

Probably sucks miserably on lines like Carnival with Cousin Eddies and screaming kids everywhere while eating Bob Evans caliber chow. 

folks can say what they want about cruises sucking balls, and i tend to agree ... but that customer to staff ratio is fabulous  :shrug:
I love cruising. It’s not exclusively how we vacation but it’s nice to mix it in to have relatively low stress on planning/traveling/etc. Hard to beat docking in places like the BVI and waking up and seeing those views too. 

Users who are viewing this thread