What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

Yup, that's my take too. The Chinese figured their way through this by quarantining whole cities, instituting draconian social distancing measures, and executing huge capital spend programs to enlarge their hospital surge capacity.

Do you think the US can do these things?

They could already be doing them in Washington...
Executing is probably the key word here. 😕

also trying to figure out about taking my steroid inhalers to limit an asthmatic reaction (pulmicort- precautionary, not for attacks) or not.

wife says it weakens the immune system. my pulminologist says no worries. it helps keep my chronic cough at bay.

anybody taking these things daily know more?
Don't know if anyone answered this already. If not, listen to your doctor. Inhaled steroids have a localized effect, rather than systemic, meaning it will help reduce inflammation in your lungs, without the whole body reaction of lowering your immune response. 

Everything is stocked around here.  There was a run a few weeks ago, but it seems to have slowed down.  All the stores even have hand sanitizer again.
We’re going through our “no hand sanitizer anywhere!” phase right now. Had plenty 10 days ago, a mild run last weekend, and a total cleanout in the muddle of this week.

For the most part, TP and bottled water at local groceries are still normally stocked or close to it. I’ve heard our local Sams and Costcos are cleaned out of most or all “Coronavirus items’, though.

The Z Machine said:
Get your jigsaw puzzles, board games, books, and other at home supplies ready, because it likely will come to your neighborhood.
What is this, little house on the prairie?  I just started a new playthrough of DOOM for some demon-killing goodness.

Yeah. Odd places stock this stuff you wouldn't think about.  
I had to fill a script at CVS on Thursday and they were loaded with hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol etc yet the Shoprite across the street didn't have a single bottle

I was multi tasking when it was on, but I thought they said 100.4. 
That sounds more reasonable.

Is that the level of fever that indicates possible CV?  I've been looking for that info and can't find it.  It's not low-grade, right?  It's high?
There is no level of fever which indicates CV. Fever is a variable dependent on many factors. The febrile response tends to be higher in viral than bacterial infections (but not always), among younger people with intact immune systems and for reasons other than infection.

Regardless, 104 is a really high temp. It’s the cut-off where heat stroke typically occurs in adults. I can’t imagine ever using that cut-off as the threshold for action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinn Fein said:
Not to mention a state wildly dependent on the service economy.  

It hits on both ends - you have employees who have to work, even when sick, and you have an economy that requires tourism to keep it afloat.
See also: New Orleans. Locals still with heads in the sand. From city leadership: “We know for a fact, Jack, that there are no cases in New Orleans and that it won’t get here for a long time - if ever!”

Smaller places that people may not have thought about yet may have cv supplies. 
I'm laughing as i write 'true'. Not laughing at your post. Laughing at the fact that we have hit the point where this post is now valid out in it's panic time USA.

'Let's drive  to the next town to the south, maybe they haven't been hit yet.!!!   'Yeah!!!!'

Smaller places that people may not have thought about yet may have cv supplies. 
At least for hand sanitizer, I’ll probably have to wait until enough early-birds have stocked up and give supplies a chance to catch back up with demand. I can’t spend hours looking through dozens of places. Calling around doesn’t help - person typically says “no” right away or has no idea.

I'm laughing as i write 'true'. Not laughing at your post. Laughing at the fact that we have hit the point where this post is now valid out in it's panic time USA.

'Let's drive  to the next town to the south, maybe they haven't been hit yet.!!!   'Yeah!!!!'
No, I think Curly meant “smaller businesses”, not “smaller towns”.

So am I right in understanding that the cooler heads seem to believe all of the following:

- The risk here isn't so much about the virus itself -- we'll all very likely be just fine even if we contract it

- The risk is overwhelming the healthcare system because it won't be able to support such a large influx of patients

- The other risk is just the impact on convenience -- it may be hard to get some supplies and stuff if supply chains become affected -- and other risks associated with the supply chains (affects on the stock market and the like)

?

So am I right in understanding that the cooler heads seem to believe all of the following:

- The risk here isn't so much about the virus itself -- we'll all very likely be just fine even if we contract it

- The risk is overwhelming the healthcare system because it won't be able to support such a large influx of patients

- The other risk is just the impact on convenience -- it may be hard to get some supplies and stuff if supply chains become affected -- and other risks associated with the supply chains (affects on the stock market and the like)

?
Yes x3

?
I’ll add two because I agree that I’m resigned to eventually getting this thing and it really doesn’t freak me out all that much:

- Worry for parents and other older friends

- Bad actors who at a minimum downplay it and ignorantly spread it, and at worst actively try to spread it for the lulz and causing general chaos.

101 isn't low grade. There is no firm border of going from low to the high category. I've heard docs say moderate too.

In my experience, docs have differing opinions on labelling the grade. I also think it varies by individual. Elderly with 100.5 they would admit whereas a young otherwise healthy person may get a consultation saying take tylenol and cool yourself down and see. I was hospitalized a lot with very low grade fevers. This was because while otherwise healthy, chemo killed my immune system. That's why they triage cases based on available resources and the individual profile.
There is an agreed upon definition of fever, though not all docs adhere to it: a single (oral) temperature of 101, sustained temp of 100.4 for greater than 1 hour, or two measurements > 6 hours apart. Low and high grade are not medical designations.

You’re right that the threshold for treatment varies according to the patient and the doctor. There is a tendency to err on the side of caution in elderly and individuals with immune compromise. Those groups tend to receive antibiotics and be hospitalized more often, sometimes without regard to the potential for harm caused by unnecessary prescriptions and hospital stays. In general, more contemporary practice supports less hospitalization and antibiotic use than in the past, as data accumulates suggesting we’ve been overdoing it to the detriment of patients and healthcare cost.

No, I think Curly meant “smaller businesses”, not “smaller towns”.
Yes. We have small compound pharmicies here that have this stuff. They are located in the middle of medical offices/supply stores centers. I never notice them but have now..

But it shows age, sex, where they are being treated and current status.
True, but I would think without names, HIPAA laws are essentially satisfied.

That said, I know that there are certain media-sensitive events within which HIPAA laws are unevenly followed/enforced.

This Wiki page shows # of confirmed cases, recoveries and deaths by state.  The next section is hidden but expands to show details of individual cases.  Would this be an invasion of privacy??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_the_United_States#Non-repatriated_cases_by_state

Another section of the same Wiki shows the timeline by states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_the_United_States#Timeline
Anything that reveals patient info would be a HIPAA violation.

It’s only a matter of time before somebody overdoses on one of the nutraceuticals/supplements without a shred of evidence to support their use (I.e. just about all of them).
Are there any vitamins or supplements that you think are prudent to take to strengthen the immune system?

Edit: assume the patient eats a crappy diet low on fruits and vegetables.

i have done all I can to get my family ready for what might be coming, but the one weak link in my plan was every other weekend I take my 85 year old mom shopping at Walmart. She doesn't drive and so she looks forward to this excursion. I, on the other hand, dreaded today. We get to the store and there is literal zombie apocalypse level shopping going on--which I sort of chuckled at as it was a stark contrast to the girls scouts out front cheerfully peddling their thin mints. Wall to wall people--cleaning supplies, tp, hand sanitizer, water, everything gone. I mean shelves completely empty. I found an end cap with three small packages of Charmin and I told my mom she better get whatever she can at this point. There oddly enough was a huge display of gloves as you entered that was still pretty well stocked--so a plus. 

I swear, every cough and sneeze kind of created a mini-panic attack in me. All I could think of was how bad I wanted out of there and of course, my face was itching like there was no tomorrow. My mind was irrationally saying, "Wonder if you have a booger hanging from your nose--better check." We get to the checkouts and they have six open and it is 10 people deep at each one. At this point there are 75 people all standing within 10 yards of me and I am about to lose it. I watched my mom pay in cash and the cashier was out of tens, so my mom ended up with 14 one dollar bills in change. I couldn't help  but  wonder how many germs were on that stack she put in her purse. 

Needless to say we had a long talk when we got her home and I convinced her that we will on-line shop from Walmart and I will pick it up for the next sixty days to start. She doesn't need to be out in this mess and I sure as heck don't either, 

Things are really starting to set in and it is scary. 

yeah, I guess I just don't understand the "blowing out of proportion" crowd's argument.
1. That's the viewpoint of a certain government figurehead that shall remain nameless.

2. Shady has done this a lot lately.  He jumps into the thread, makes comments about how this is like the flu, and doesn't listen to anyone when they try to explain why it's not.  

Are there any vitamins or supplements that you think are prudent to take to strengthen the immune system?

Edit: assume the patient eats a crappy diet low on fruits and vegetables.
“Strengthening” the immune system is such a vague premise, which sounds good but has no standard definition. Kinda like reducing stress.

There’s hardly any evidence from well designed studies supporting any supplement. IIRC, Vitamin C given to military recruits during basic training reduced the risk of upper respiratory tract infections. There was a vitamin D paper linked in this thread that suggested it was beneficial as well, but primarily in those who were D deficient. 

In any event, there are issues with finding the right formulation/absorption, etc. that make recommending any supplement problematic. Even multivitamins haven’t shown convincing benefit. I’d spend your money instead on a better diet rich in fruits and veggies, as the ancillary health benefits will go far beyond the COVID outbreak. 

Users who are viewing this thread