What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

23:37: China’s National Health Commission reports 660 new cases and 1 new death. Their locations have not yet been disclosed, except for the fatality, which occurred in Heilongjiang province.

23:37: China’s National Health Commission reports 660 new cases and 1 new death. Their locations have not yet been disclosed, except for the fatality, which occurred in Heilongjiang province.
One death? As in only one death today or in the last 15 minutes?

The woman’s case, published January 30 in The New England Journal of Medicine, was considered the most clearly documented evidence that the novel viral infection could spread silently from asymptomatic people. Public health experts have been particularly anxious about such transmission because it could potentially ease disease spread and negate outbreak control efforts, including screening travelers for symptoms, such as fever.

“The fact that asymptomatic persons are potential sources of 2019-nCoV infection may warrant a reassessment of transmission dynamics of the current outbreak,” the authors of the NEJM article concluded.

“The look and feel of the exported cases, I think, really support the argument that there’s a lot of mild disease that is not being detected in China at the moment for the very good reason that they just can’t do it,” Dr. Allison McGeer told Stat News recently. McGeer is an infectious diseases researcher at Toronto’s Mount Sinai Hospital, who helped respond to other outbreaks of emerging coronaviruses, namely those behind SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) and MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome).

This is good news, just need everyone sick to stay home.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/symptomless-spread-of-new-coronavirus-questioned-as-outbreak-mushrooms/

Last edited by a moderator:
That is good news.

And people should stay home when they feel sick anyway. They should not have needed this as an excuse. Now that I work from home I thankfully don't have to put up with the workaholic sicko jerk who is is coughing/sneezing up a storm but in the office anyway so he can prove what a trooper he is. It's cool dude, you're sick. Stay and home and keep that thing to yourself already.

70 people will be flown in and quarantined at Camp Ashland in Nebraska.  Boss comes back from a vacation in SE Asia/Japan tomorrow.  Hoping he's too jet-lagged to come to the office.  :scared:  

I will be out of the office next week.

I just got a package from China that took over a month in transport.  Put on gloves, open, disinfect and now is sitting out in the garage hoping to freeze any little buggers.  Other than that, I don't see coronavirus affecting me at all. 

I just got a package from China that took over a month in transport.  Put on gloves, open, disinfect and now is sitting out in the garage hoping to freeze any little buggers.  Other than that, I don't see coronavirus affecting me at all. 
It does well in cold.  There was an article that says it's shelf life is really perhaps 3 days or less yesterday.  

Possible Cytokine Storm in Young, Healthy Adults  :

...But some patients who enter the second week will suddenly get worse. At this stage, people should go to the hospital. Elderly with underlying conditions may develop complications; some may need machine-assisted respiration. When the body’s other organs start to fail, that’s when it becomes severe, while those with strong immune systems see their symptoms decrease in severity at this stage and gradually recover. So the second week is what determines whether the illness becomes critical.

The third week determines whether critical illness leads to death. Some in critical condition who receive treatment can raise their lymphocyte, a type of white blood cell, and see an improvement in their immune systems, and have been brought back, so to speak. But those whose lymphocyte numbers continue to decline, those whose immune systems are destroyed in the end, experience multiple organ failure and die.

For most, the illness is over in two weeks, whereas for those for whom the illness becomes severe, if they can survive three weeks they’re good. Those that can’t will die in three weeks.

Peng: "The biggest assault the virus launches is on a patient’s immune system. It causes a fall in the count of lymphocytes, the damage in the lungs and shortness of breath. Many serious patients died of choking. Others died of the failure of multiple organs following complications in their organs resulting from a collapse of the immune system."

Caixin: "A 39-year-old patient in Hong Kong suffered from cardiac arrest, and his death ensued quickly. A few patients did not have severe symptoms upon the onslaught of the virus or in early stages, but they died suddenly. Some experts argue that the virus triggers a cytokine storm, which ravages the stronger immune system of young adults. Eventually excessive inflammations caused by cytokine result in the higher mortality rate. Have you seen such a phenomenon in the coronavirus outbreak?"

Peng: "Based on my observations, a third of patients exhibited inflammation in their whole body. It was not necessarily limited to young adults. The mechanism of a cytokine storm is about whole-body inflammation, which leads to a failure of multiple organs and quickly evolves into the terminal stage. In some fast-progressing cases, it took two to three days to progress from whole-body inflammation to the life-threatening stage."

So... I know we all had a laugh about the Cytokine Storm a few years ago. That said, wasn't there a vitamin that helps protect against this? I think Ham or someone mentioned it back then.

Any meetings of 100+ require on site medical staff, a medical plan, and self quarantine at any sign of symptoms.
From where you sit, does this make sense internally, or does it seem like overkill to your colleagues?

In any meeting of 100+ people ... your business is such that one can assume at least one from that group has been to China in recent weeks? Or been exposed to someone who's been to China in recent weeks?

For a group of 100 people who have only been in the U.S. in recent months ... shouldn't be any coronavirus risk at all, should there?

Since I've first heard of this virus last month ... I had been thinking that living in the U.S. alone kept me about 99.999999999% safe from ever even as much as knowing someone who catches the coronavirus. Just seems like SARS all over again from a superficial perspective. Guess we'll see.

Which one? One in Japan, one in Hong Kong and one in Italy - some 10,000 people stuck in their cabins on cruise ships now
I thought the one in Italy was cleared?  If not, holy cow that must be awful.  The 24 hour buffet on that ship must be real ripe by now.   :X

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the one on Italy was cleared?  If not, holy cow that must be awful.  The 24 hour buffet on that ship must be real ripe by now.   :X
I'm sure they get supplies hoisted aboard from land. But holy moly being locked in your cabin for two weeks must suck. I had not heard that the one in Italy had been cleared, will dig more

Update for @Otis : Singapore now has 28 confirmed cases
I saw a post earlier today with this in the text and the following link, but I haven't read the article: Singapore reports 2 new cases of coronavirus, including 1 person with no links to China or previous cases.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/two-more-confirmed-cases-of-novel-coronavirus-infection-in-singapore

Creepy drone video of the empty streets of Wuhan.

https://twitter.com/SriramSalem44/status/1225408327409995776?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1225408327409995776&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.rivals.com%2Fthreads%2Fcoronavirus.914452%2Fpage-61

I saw a post earlier today with this in the text and the following link, but I haven't read the article: Singapore reports 2 new cases of coronavirus, including 1 person with no links to China or previous cases.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/two-more-confirmed-cases-of-novel-coronavirus-infection-in-singapore

Creepy drone video of the empty streets of Wuhan.

https://twitter.com/SriramSalem44/status/1225408327409995776?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1225408327409995776&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.rivals.com%2Fthreads%2Fcoronavirus.914452%2Fpage-61
Bolded means they've got a vector on the loose. Not good news for Singapore

Users who are viewing this thread