Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

In communist China, person eat hippo. 

• Laughing 1

“Out of an abundance of caution,” Austin ISD will be screening kids for coronavirus starting today. I attribute this to the fact that particularly here in NW Austin, there is a large Chinese engineering population that travels with frequency. I’d venture 1/3 of the kids in my son’s elementary school are first generation Chinese, and there’s quite a bit of business and personal travel. 

Seems overkill without any cases in the state, let alone locally, but that’s what it is.

Edited by Mr. Ham

3 hours ago, Otis said:

Wait a minute, hippos kill 5,000 people a year??

In an average year.  They are nasty.

its 5k out of 1.3B, so it’s not big % wise which is kind of the point I was making here.  400 on a billion is worth watching but it’s not time to shut down entire countries.

19 minutes ago, The Ref said:

400 on a billion is worth watching but it’s not time to shut down entire countries.

This outbreak is in the very early stages and the only chance of containing it is to shut down countries early. Unfortunately it's looking like we still may have been too late. Next 2 weeks will be huge. 

18 minutes ago, The Ref said:

its 5k out of 1.3B, so it’s not big % wise which is kind of the point I was making here.  400 on a billion is worth watching but it’s not time to shut down entire countries.

I'm no expert, but viruses kill much differently than hippos.  You can't wait until 2% of the population is dead to react.

hippos are cool.  closely related to whales.

• Like 1

The media seems to have just let this go.  

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

You are overreacting.  Don’t be such a hippo-chondriac. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3

1 hour ago, joffer said:

hippos are cool.  closely related to whales.

They're so ugly they're cute kind of animal.

13 hours ago, bradyfan said:

The fact the China locked down so many cities in a short span of time indicated that the government knows more about the virus.

thats the red flag for me. makes you suspect they created this monster as a biological weapon

there's a woman here in my office who's husband was in China visiting family for New Years - Shanghai area, I believe.  Her husband flew back last Thursday.  She has self-quarantined herself and her husband for the next 2 weeks - she is dialing in for all meetings and all that, working remotely.

1 hour ago, Sputnikv8 said:

You are overreacting.  Don’t be such a hippo-chondriac. 

The problem in China is the doctors there don't take the hippocratic oath

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, moleculo said:

there's a woman here in my office who's husband was in China visiting family for New Years - Shanghai area, I believe.  Her husband flew back last Thursday.  She has self-quarantined herself and her husband for the next 2 weeks - she is dialing in for all meetings and all that, working remotely.

I think this is prudent, but reality is a lot of people in similar circumstances aren’t in a position to “self-quarantine.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -fish- said:

South Africans in Wuhan.  Ghost town (last week).

Medical student at local hospital says government is lying about death rate and number of diagnosed cases.

While those videos are interesting and concerning you need to take anything you see and hear on social media with a grain of salt.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

The media seems to have just let this go.  

Trump, Iowa, Russia, etc.

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

While those videos are interesting and concerning you need to take anything you see and hear on social media with a grain of salt.  

The Internet is only slightly less reliable than the Chinese government.

8 minutes ago, jonessed said:

The Internet is only slightly less reliable than the Chinese government.

Maybe.  Social media's reputation for spreading false information is well deserved.

• Like 1

22:13: 3,156 new cases and 65 new deaths in Hubei province, China.

23:55: China’s National Health Commission reports 675 additional cases across the mainland. Their locations have not yet been disclosed.

23:14: 10 new cases in Japan. They were found on a cruise ship off Yokohama.

22 minutes ago, Penguin said:

23:55: China’s National Health Commission reports 675 additional cases across the mainland. Their locations have not yet been disclosed.

23:14: 10 new cases in Japan. They were found on a cruise ship off Yokohama.

Oof. You have to wonder about pretty much everyone else on that cruise ship. 

22 hours ago, bradyfan said:

China CDC Situation Report on Feb-03

Suspected cases: +5072 new  ==>  23214 total

Confirmed cases: +3235 new  ==>  20438 total

Severe: +492 new  ==>  2788 total

Dead: +64 new  ==>  425 total

Recovered: +157 new  ==>  632 total

China CDC Situation Report on Feb-04

Suspected cases: +3971 new  ==>  23260 total

Confirmed cases: +3887 new  ==>  24324 total

Severe: +431 new  ==>  3219 total

Dead: +65 new  ==>  490 total

Recovered: +262 new  ==>  892 total

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

China CDC Situation Report on Feb-04

Suspected cases: +3971 new  ==>  23260 total

Confirmed cases: +3887 new  ==>  24324 total

Severe: +431 new  ==>  3219 total

Dead: +65 new  ==>  490 total

Recovered: +262 new  ==>  892 total

Can I get the same stats for the flu this year?

9 minutes ago, IC FBGCav said:

And hippos

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, IC FBGCav said:

I am not taking requests but is this what you’re looking for?

US CDC estimates for Oct 1, 2019 - Jan 25, 2020:  Link

• 19,000,000 – 26,000,000  flu illnesses
  • 8,600,000 – 12,000,000 flu medical visits
  • 180,000 – 310,000  flu hospitalizations
  • 10,000 – 25,000 flu deaths
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IC FBGCav said:

You trust the stats that the Chinese government is releasing more than you do our CDC?  You think countries shut down air travel, rail travel, bordering countries shut down their borders, giant hospitals are built in a matter of days, sports arenas are being used as make shift hospitals due to something similar to the flu?  You think a country shuts down it’s entire economy for weeks for a disease that is similar to the flu?  Can we all just drop the flu comparisons as it’s insulting and ridiculous and defies the existence of common sense. I seriously don’t understand why smart people choose to be naive when there is a mountain of evidence showing how serious something is. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

You trust the stats that the Chinese government is releasing more than you do our CDC?  You think countries shut down air travel, rail travel, bordering countries shut down their borders, giant hospitals are built in a matter of days, sports arenas are being used as make shift hospitals due to something similar to the flu?  You think a country shuts down it’s entire economy for weeks for a disease that is similar to the flu?  Can we all just drop the flu comparisons as it’s insulting and ridiculous and defies the existence of common sense. I seriously don’t understand why smart people choose to be naive when there is a mountain of evidence showing how serious something is. 

You might be 100% right.  I never said action against the coronavirus is wrong.  But we need to keep away from fear tactics.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IC FBGCav said:

You might be 100% right.  I never said action against the coronavirus is wrong.  But we need to keep away from fear tactics.

Facts are facts. The Chinese have lied about EVERYTHING in regards to this disease.  Virtually every person on the ground in China that can get out is getting out.  Companies are shuttering their businesses.  The Chinese government is threatening prison time for people that post on social media about how the disease is spreading. One of the most respected medical journals (Lancet) says that most likely 78000 people are infected in just one region.   Looking at evidence and being realistic is not engaging in fear tactics. What is more dangerous is people that trivialize and are dismissive of something that has almost certainly killed thousands of people. No country on the face of the Earth would react to something even twice as bad as the flu as whats going on here.  

Edited by jvdesigns2002

Example, Ebola never was controlling the stock market.  But this is.

Edited by IC FBGCav

Just now, jvdesigns2002 said:

Facts are facts. The Chinese have lied about EVERYTHING in regards to this disease.  Virtually every person on the ground in China that can get out is getting out.  Companies are shuttering their businesses.  The Chinese government is threatening prison time for people that post on social media about how the ramped the disease is spreading. One of the most respected medical journals (Lancet) says that most likely 78000 people are infected in just one region.   Looking at evidence and being realistic is not engaging in feat tactics. What is more dangerous is people that trivialize and are dismissive of something that has almost certainly killed thousands of people. No country on the face of the Earth would react to something even twice as bad as the flu as whats going on here.  

Okay again, on NPR they interviewed an American student quarenteened there in China.  He seemed less convinced than you.  I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Facts are facts. The Chinese have lied about EVERYTHING in regards to this disease.  Virtually every person on the ground in China that can get out is getting out.  Companies are shuttering their businesses.  The Chinese government is threatening prison time for people that post on social media about how the ramped the disease is spreading. One of the most respected medical journals (Lancet) says that most likely 78000 people are infected in just one region.   Looking at evidence and being realistic is not engaging in feat tactics. What is more dangerous is people that trivialize and are dismissive of something that has almost certainly killed thousands of people. No country on the face of the Earth would react to something even twice as bad as the flu as whats going on here.  

You really think China wants this to run through everyone?  

6 minutes ago, IC FBGCav said:

You really think China wants this to run through everyone?  

I think that China is a country whose economy is largely dependent on foreign investment, tourism, foreign companies having a presence there.   If they release actual numbers about what the virus is doing—they don’t have to worry about a bad economic quarter or two—they have to worry about a potential long term erosion of a lot of their economic fundamentals.  They have an interest to downplay the severity of the crisis and their words do not match their actions at all.   Scientists and experts in virology are saying that the numbers they are claiming are low—-and no other country seems to believe them as travel restrictions are popping up right and left. When was the last time anybody ever implemented travel restrictions on us-even though the flu numbers are exponentially worse than what’s being reported now?

Edited by jvdesigns2002
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I think that China is a country whose economy is largely dependent on foreign investment, tourism, foreign companies having a presence there.   If they release actual numbers about what the virus is doing—they don’t have to worry about a bad economic quarter or two—they have to worry about a potential long term erosion of a lot of their economic fundamentals.  They have an interest to downplay the severity of the crisis and their words do not match their actions at all.   Scientists and experts in virology are saying that the numbers they are claiming are low—-and no other country seems to believe them as travel restrictions are popping up right and left. When was the last time anybody ever implemented travel restrictions on us-even though the flu numbers are exponentially worse than what’s being reported now?

Restrictions, probably never, but the economic impact means nothing if their entire country gets taken out.  We would never build a hospital in 10 days.  In fact, I don't see how good that could be.  Economics would be my last worry no matter what nationally I am.  Humans are humans.  In crisis money doesn't matter unless you are real evil.

After reading this thread honestly I’m more scared of the hippos. 

• Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

After reading this thread honestly I’m more scared of the hippos. 

Hippo wasn't even a top 10 pick in the Deadly Animal Draft.   O ver RATE ed

8 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

wat?  not everything on the innerwebs is real?

26 minutes ago, IC FBGCav said:

Did you know all koala bears have chlamydia?

You're welcome. :coffee:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jamny said:

Any word out if North Korea?

That's where I'm headed if this goes bad.