What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (7 Viewers)

I'm sure they get supplies hoisted aboard from land. But holy moly being locked in your cabin for two weeks must suck. I had not heard that the one in Italy had been cleared, will dig more
 Bet there’s at least one married couple bout to get divorced because one of them wanted a nicer cabin and the other refused to upgrade because they said they wouldn’t be in the cabin much anyway.

As scary as it must be living in China, and we'll probably never learn the true extent of it, until these numbers rise drastically, I'll remain optimistic that this thing will be contained:

12 confirmed cases in the US

2 deaths outside of Mainland China

00:06: China’s National Health Commission reports 625 new cases and 4 new deaths. Their locations have not yet been disclosed, except for the fatalities, which occurred in Jilin, Henan, Guangdong, and Hainan provinces.

Have 10 day Disney cruise planned in June. My prediction is that in a month it’ll be an easy decision to cancel those plans, though my wife very much doesn’t want to hear this. Last week, we had talked our best friends and their 4 daughters into coming with. Starts in Rome with stops in Italy, Greece, and Croatia. Maybe I’m wrong and in a month it seems more sane to image things will be all clear in 4 months, instead of worse. But my mindset now is that I’ll be surprised if it objectively seems like a good idea to be on a cruise ship then.

As point of reference, we lost our then 8 year old 5 days after our return from our last cruise. To what degree it was connected, we’ll never know. Son had bird flu and died from Myocarditis, which is swelling of the heart in response to a virus. Might have actually preceded the cruise, and was exacerbated by it. Regardless, I’ve already been sheepish about going back on one, and I’m simply not going to take my kids on one if there’s a reasonable amount of risk.
Certainly don't blame you.

By June wouldn't the virus basically be eliminated due to warm weather?

US influenza numbers so far this winter:

Hospitalizations: 180,000 – 310,000

Deaths: 10,000 - 25,000

US influenza numbers so far this winter:

Hospitalizations: 180,000 – 310,000

Deaths: 10,000 - 25,000
Influenza is easily preventable, so it's just Darwin's annual thinning of the herd

Last edited by a moderator:
This ship seems like the best possible proxy we have.   What day are we at on lockdown there 
The first cases were reported on the 4th but I haven't been able to find when the ship was actually quarantined

ETA: Looks like it was the 4th and runs thru the 19th

Last edited by a moderator:
https://outline.com/YCvKqP?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

"The scale of disruption in China is already staggering. Hyundai, Number Five in global car sales, has been forced to close all its factories at home in Korea for lack of key components. Volkswagen, Toyota, General Motors, and Tesla have all downed tools at their Chinese plants, as has Apple’s iPhone supplier Foxconn

Crude prices have dropped 20pc since early January, that long-ago moment when eight Wuhan doctors were already trying to alert the world to the virus, only to be arrested for “spreading rumours”.

This is the biggest shock to oil markets since the Lehman crisis. The collapse in Chinese transport and refinery demand has cut imports by three million barrels a day. Some say four million."

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225544460131545089?s=20

The number of people in serious and critical condition in Hubei province has risen sharply, from 3,084 yesterday to 4,002 today

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3872448?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Wuhan could now have 300,000 coronavirus infections: Study

HKU study says Wuhan virus infections to 'double every 6 days'

https://www.aninews.in/news/national/general-news/2826-suspected-coronavirus-cases-being-monitored-in-kerala-says-health-minister20200206223440/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

bad news in India: 

"2682 suspected cases in Kerala"

Buckle up boys and girls... we might be approaching liftoff in a couple other areas and Wuhan may be maturing/strengthening :(  

Hope this stuff is wrong. 

another cruise ship

this one docked in Bayonne, N.J., very busy cruise port, lotta bon voyages outta that locale ... every time we see the "Love Boat" cruising down the Hudson it's either leaving there, or heading to. 

- this on the heels of the 2 more quarantines (making 4) in the City - (Bayonne is connected to Staten Island via the Bayonne Bridge, and is directly across the bay from Brooklyn). 

If this thing starts running through India, watch US companies start sweating profusely (including my employer). All this offshoring could come home to roost.

bad news in India: 

"2682 suspected cases in Kerala"
I think they might be using the word "suspected" differently than we would use the word.  That is the number of people under observation in home quarantine.  Anybody with flu symptoms should be under observation and in quarantine.  There are still only 3 confirmed cases.

I’m taking my mom on a cruise in a month (Celebrity), and a few days ago we received emails saying no one who has been in mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau, including just transiting through the airports, in the 15 days before boarding would be allowed on.  We’re sailing in the Caribbean, which had given me comfort, but this latest incident with the ship out of NJ gives me pause.

I’m taking my mom on a cruise in a month (Celebrity), and a few days ago we received emails saying no one who has been in mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau, including just transiting through the airports, in the 15 days before boarding would be allowed on.  We’re sailing in the Caribbean, which had given me comfort, but this latest incident with the ship out of NJ gives me pause.
A ship out of NJ? I missed that...

We're going to Mexico I a couple weeks. Airport and plane give me pause (although I heard planes have heavy duty filtration in place that nixes airborne transmission?)

I'm sure a cruise ship is fine though. :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread