Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 minute ago, Smack Tripper said:

aren't the factories closed and on lock down?  Whats making the smoke?

This was covered over on reddit several days ago, this is agricultural practice of burning excess dead heads and things.  It was present before the virus was even reported.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Ham said:

Most disturbing info from above is if those tencent numbers are accurate. >16% mortality rate.

Nothing solid to indicate they are true, other than they seem far more plausible given what’s been released given the massive containment response. 

Exported cases aren't showing anything close to that.

What is realistic next stage panic level?

I'm assuming people dropping dead in the US is going to move the panic needle.

10 minutes ago, culdeus said:

What is realistic next stage panic level?

I'm assuming people dropping dead in the US is going to move the panic needle.

Yeah IMO things that will start freaking people out: 

1) Someone in their town tests positive, or for those in bigger cities: multiple people. 

2) A cluster of infected breaks out due to a tainted restaurant, event, flight etc. 

3) Multiple people start dying anywhere in the country. 

IMO at that point you'll start seeing the beginnings of the run on canned goods, bottled water, etc.

Masks are already pretty hard to find but whatever is left will start to get bought up. 

Likely an increase in xenophobia toward Asians. 

Then, when the media starts reporting that there Is a run on supplies, that will exacerbate the run on supplies. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joffer said:

for a virus?

Why not? They aren't spraying antibiotics

20 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

amazon marketplace

100 flu masks

$15.90

+ $159.00 shipping +

:lol: Just the beginning of this thing lands here. 

1 minute ago, [icon] said:
21 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

amazon marketplace

100 flu masks

$15.90

+ $159.00 shipping +

:lol: Just the beginning of this thing lands here. 

Double check the availability on that listing.   Most N95 or N99 have been sold out on Amazon for two weeks.  

Just now, -fish- said:

Double check the availability on that listing.   Most N95 or N99 have been sold out on Amazon for two weeks.  

its not N95 or N99. just says stops the flu. knockoff product and people will eat it up

2 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

thats why ive been selling my anti virus pet rock for 59.99

1 color to choose from

:eek: would you do two for $100? I need one for the GF as well! 

I loved the book "The Stand." I think it may be a peek into the future. Not now but there's bound to be a virus coming that's going to really raise alarm bells. 

12th US case announced. In Wisconsin.

18 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

You trust the stats that the Chinese government is releasing more than you do our CDC?  You think countries shut down air travel, rail travel, bordering countries shut down their borders, giant hospitals are built in a matter of days, sports arenas are being used as make shift hospitals due to something similar to the flu?  You think a country shuts down it’s entire economy for weeks for a disease that is similar to the flu?  Can we all just drop the flu comparisons as it’s insulting and ridiculous and defies the existence of common sense. I seriously don’t understand why smart people choose to be naive when there is a mountain of evidence showing how serious something is. 

No offense, but is there a string in your back?  Many of your posts in this thread repeat this point.  I think it's well established at this point.

• Laughing 2

5 minutes ago, jamny said:

How are the folks outside of China fairing that have this? They getting better/worse or they haven’t had it long enough to tell? 

3 hours ago, -fish- said:

There are plenty of things to freak out about in this thread, this truck spraying water isn't one of them. It's designed to do that and used at mines or areas where there is a need for dust suppression. It's mounted on the back of a water truck. Actually kinda smart if you're hosing down an area with disinfectant.

https://bosstek.com/products/dust-control-solutions/

21 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

No offense, but is there a string in your back?  Many of your posts in this thread repeat this point.  I think it's well established at this point.

No offense taken—and just a heads up—I will keep repeating myself if people keep making comparisons to the flu about a disease that is clearly far more worrisome than the flu.  That comparison has been brought up several times in this thread and you didn’t seem to point that out.   It’d be nice to see some people here actually take a disease that is killing lots of people seriously as opposed to joking about hippos being more lethal than it.   I assure you that if any friends or relatives of anybody in this forum gets infected or passes away from this disease—there are going to be lots of people that regret joking around about it.  

20 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

No offense taken—and just a heads up—I will keep repeating myself if people keep making comparisons to the flu about a disease that is clearly far more worrisome than the flu.  That comparison has been brought up several times in this thread and you didn’t seem to point that out.   It’d be nice to see some people here actually take a disease that is killing lots of people seriously as opposed to joking about hippos being more lethal than it.   I assure you that if any friends or relatives of anybody in this forum gets infected or passes away from this disease—there are going to be lots of people that regret joking around about it.  

serious business

3 hours ago, -fish- said:

I'm not sure those are anything out of the norm.  Those things were everywhere this September when I was there.  Our guide said they battled smog and its just water.  

Guess it could be filled with lysol though, who the hell knows anymore?    

22 minutes ago, culdeus said:

serious business

Weren't we in a CoC clan by that name at one time?

15 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I'm not sure those are anything out of the norm.  Those things were everywhere this September when I was there.  Our guide said they battled smog and its just water.  

Guess it could be filled with lysol though, who the hell knows anymore?    

Scroll up a few responses :thumbup:

1 hour ago, jamny said:

Just coming in to post that it's by me now.  :oldunsure: 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Just coming in to post that it's by me now.  :oldunsure:

jfc, man ... how close? 

near Milwaukee? Sheboygan? Furley?

stay as vigilant as possible, gb ... godspeed to you all out there!

12 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

jfc, man ... how close? 

near Milwaukee? Sheboygan? Furley?

stay as vigilant as possible, gb ... godspeed to you all out there!

Report was that it's at the uw in Madison.  I am about 15min outside of Madison.  Restaurant I work at is busy and on the interstate, so we get people traveling all over.  

• Sad 1

22:10:  2,987 new cases and 70 new deaths in Hubei province, China

Thank god the hippo numbers were wrong. 

• Laughing 1

7 hours ago, fissure man said:

That's just regular smog. I recall being in Beijing during a pollution red alert and the smog was so bad that you could barely see across the street. It was like being on a different planet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

hopefully better at fighting this virus than the ones on his OS 

:thumbup:

Oh snap

54 minutes ago, jamny said:

That’s not reassuring at all. Says that after it’s first pandemic run, it will return seasonally and be somewhere between a cold and SARS in terms of death rate. Since they say it will cause pneumonia, I’d venture we’d be dealing with a new disease like flu that kills at minimum millions annually - even if it’s kill rate is equal that of flu. If it’s higher, it could dwarf flu - annually. Hooray!

23:37: China’s National Health Commission reports 660 new cases and 1 new death. Their locations have not yet been disclosed, except for the fatality, which occurred in Heilongjiang province.

2 minutes ago, Penguin said:

23:37: China’s National Health Commission reports 660 new cases and 1 new death. Their locations have not yet been disclosed, except for the fatality, which occurred in Heilongjiang province.

One death? As in only one death today or in the last 15 minutes?

2 minutes ago, fissure man said:

One death? As in only one death today or in the last 15 minutes?

That's for all of China with the exception of the Hubei province where Wuhan is. There were 70 deaths in Hubei today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, culdeus said:

Rogue Hippo will be the name of my Jack Hanna tribute band. 

1 hour ago, TwinTurbo said:

Oh snap

if his generous grant results in some kinda wearable patch being developed to combat this virus, well ... mind = blown. 

20 hours ago, bradyfan said:

“Everyone on board the Diamond Princess had received initial health screening, Kato said, a process that identified 273 people for testing. Of that smaller group, 31 results had been received so far, revealing the 10 confirmed cases.”

Link

More test results came back and there are total 20 confirmed cases now. Link