What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

You know sometimes this board doesn’t work well. I sure didn’t mean to quote CN.

We did a Safeway/Vons grocery delivery tonight, boy is that the way to go. Best 3.95 I’ve spent to have a guy just wheel all your groceries right to your front step. 

Just got to hit the liquor store tomorrow and we are beyond ready 

I hope your boss realizes how right you were after today.
He's been pushing back gently over the past 3 weeks...basically questioning the travel bans as i enacted them.  I felt very alone in pushing these policies as i'd get pushback from senior folks inside the building as well.  Stuff like "seems like a solution in search of a problem" and "you JUST said when you prohibited international travel that domestic travel was fine.  That was five days ago, what changed.  Feels like we need to be more consistent" 

I knew I was right, but was also aware I was very alone and so was equally concerned about the reputational risk if I was wrong.  You know, no downside in being wrong with everyone else!  Maybe they`ll write a HBR case study about my cowardice!  But I knew I was right, that all of YOU were right.  And so, I brought my biz  continuity planning (BCP) group together weeks ago and we started contingency planning for this scenario.  Last thing I needed was the ok from the parent company boss.  Listened to Sam Harris yesterday on my train ride home and that was the final push, wrote the email last night and informed the BCP team this morning that i just hung up with the big boss, that I had promised him no productivity loss in the move (they'll be some but i figured it'll get lost in the economic backside so whatever) and that we are officially enacting WFH.  Addressed the full team this morning and as expected only about half of them had heard the term "flattening the curve"  Yes, rather than incite panic I leaned into civic responsibility as the theme for doing this.  

Anyway, That's the story.  I still hope that I am over estimating the impact, but feels good to have FINALLY done the right thing.  And hopefully to have given my boss the 1 week head start he needs for his biz in the (for now) lightly impacted red state.  We`ll see

Tom Hanks is like the last Hollywood person I would want to see get this. That’s a shot to the gut. 

I’m going to believe it’s not true and he’s just method acting for his role in Ron Howard’s upcoming COVID 19 epic film. 
Yep never have anything bad to say about Tom Hanks. One of the very few genuine Hollywood stars. I have a classmate who works out in LA (He helped create the Theme song for Fox's EMPIRE show) and has had the privilege to meet and work with Tom Hanks. One of the easiest, most dedicated and professional big shots he's ever worked with. I got to meet Bradley Cooper and Robert DiNero when they were filming Silver Linings Playbook (The little Cafe is 10 mins from me) and both had nothing but great things to say about Mr Hanks. Truly a legend and the world would not be the same without him 

Thanks.  He's had an inhaler in the past for this, but did not get one on his visit yesterday.  This was with a nurse practitioner and not a doctor so we may take him back tomorrow.
He probably needs an inhaler full time. My son has one and I now have one. As well as rescue inhalers. 

I am another one of the none diagnosed asthma suffers who after watching my son get diagnosed realized I have it and got it treated. 
Still can't find anything definitive saying I'm in the pre-existing condition realm (lungs) or not because of this. I don't have asthma (no shortness of breath or wheezing)- I have an asthmatic reactive cough.

Larry Brown @LBSports

The Thunder's head medical doctor came sprinting onto the floor to prevent the game from tipping off because they literally had just found out Rudy Gobert tested positive for Coronavirus (according to Jazz statement)
Dude deserves a pay raise and must be in some amazing shape. 

Yep never have anything bad to say about Tom Hanks. One of the very few genuine Hollywood stars. I have a classmate who works out in LA (He helped create the Theme song for Fox's EMPIRE show) and has had the privilege to meet and work with Tom Hanks. One of the easiest, most dedicated and professional big shots he's ever worked with. I got to meet Bradley Cooper and Robert DiNero when they were filming Silver Linings Playbook (The little Cafe is 10 mins from me) and both had nothing but great things to say about Mr Hanks. Truly a legend and the world would not be the same without him 
Slow down

Let's not bury him just yet

Its gonna be OK

The next few weeks will be crazy. News will report black friday like fights for toilet paper.

The stock market will still go down 

All sports will be canceled for a weeks maybe months 

Some things will be outright cancelled or moved til next year...eurocup...Olympics etc...

More panic will set in as people die 

More famous people will test positive 

But then...

Those same famous people will survive 

Sports will start returning and you'll hear the crack of a baseball bat....or an Astro banging on a garbage can

Things will start to get back to normal.

Yoga pants will still not be allowed here 

If we’re all quarantined can we get a petition going for a temporary reprieve of this rule? 
May be the only way to stave off the eventual rioting, looting, and general pillaging.  

If Joe loves his country like I think he does, he'll do the right thing here. For the greater good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local Costco and Sams have been out of TP for a while - with the announcement of the NBA and a million other things being canceled people are going to panic and make a mad run on things.  
Just had a customer about 1 1/2 hrs ago come up to me and ask the typical DO YOU WORK HERE (I'm in my uniform what does it look like?) and then ask if we had lysol. I told her we've been out for almost 3 days. Rubbing Alcohol she asks then? I said sorry we've been out of that for over a week and a half now. Walks away disgusted. What did she expect? 

Earlier in the night we had to get my manager involved (I wasn't involved but saw the scene) of a customer trying to buy the whole shelf of whatever Wipes and Bleach we had left. When he created a scene we had to get the cops involved. Actually buying is the wrong term here as he was trying to steal. Expecting a ton more of this as the weeks go on. Work is gonna get really entertaining sfast. 

Not waiting for "hot" ... waiting for "hot and muggy". Need that humidity, too. And some extra UV.
The "saints forum" map weighs demographics/population much heavier than climate. Some hot muggy climates are high risk, and the bulk of limited risk zones are very dry climates, also very barren regions. Obvious but worth noting. I am in lowest risk but close to moderate risk, and we have the lowest humidity in the country.

Still can't find anything definitive saying I'm in the pre-existing condition realm (lungs) or not because of this. I don't have asthma (no shortness of breath or wheezing)- I have an asthmatic reactive cough.
Same here though early reports out of China was that Asthma was not a big risk factor. I posted a link to a video about it a day ago in this thread. 

Am CEO of a 100 person subsidiary based in  a downtown metropolitan financial district.  Parent company is located in a red state...leadership there is a bunch fox news watchers and last night I emailed the parent company CEO (my boss) and told him I was moving all employees into work-from-home (WFH) mode.  This morning I spent 10 minutes explaining to him that "this is NOT the seasonal flu and that I was adamant about giving WFH option to all employees.  He said  "I understand your concern, but no reason for you to be leading this."  Exasperated I said "all due respect, but there is a dearth of leadership on this at the federal level.  I have responsibility for 100 people, their families, and our ongoing business and I am tired of being 1-2 weeks ahead of the rest of the country."  He eventually acquiesced to my passion moreso than my argument, but whatever.  

Anyway, not looking for praise because I am frankly embarrassed I didn't have the fortitude to stand up for my people at this time LAST week.  Still, I have all of you to thank for the hygiene regimen we started 4 weeks ago, the light social distancing we began 3 weeks ago, the international travel ban we instituted 2 weeks ago, the domestic travel ban we instituted last week, and the WFH policy we put in place today.  Thank you all so much.  You have given me the insight, info, and courage I needed.
If it gets any worse and the CEO of the parent company starts threatening termination you need to lawyer up or threaten to. Tell him you are following Professional health advice in these times. Its good he admired your passion but what he tells you today he might email or call you tomorrow with he changed his mind and wants you all there. Good for you for sticking to your guns and Morales and everything else though. Keep us updated 

The "saints forum" map weighs demographics/population much heavier than climate. Some hot muggy climates are high risk, and the bulk of limited risk zones are very dry climates, also very barren regions. Obvious but worth noting. I am in lowest risk but close to moderate risk, and we have the lowest humidity in the country.
apparently it has to be close to 90F for an extended period of time to "neutralize" the virus. I believe the high humidity thing is that with no humidity the droplets from a cough or sneeze can travel 6 feet. With high humidity the water molecules weigh down the virus molecules and they travel far less.

Turns out half the stuff trump said was inaccurate. As I suspected, no ban on cargo or trade. I was legit worried about olive oil. 
Are you really all that surprised? The WHO was calling him out after his speech when he said this will die in warm weather etc and so were other professionals. I was listening to a podcaster I listen to on Youtube and when he said the same thing as Trump his cohost and many of the listeners were quick to correct him on it. It's simple unbelieveable. Just remember same guy said this was all a hoax not to long ago 

The WAC tournament quarterfinal between Bakersfield and Grand Canyon has been postponed until Thursday morning "due to a medical situation."

There will also be a meeting between WAC presidents and ADs on Thursday morning regarding any further tournament decisions.

Are you really all that surprised? The WHO was calling him out after his speech when he said this will die in warm weather etc and so were other professionals. I was listening to a podcaster I listen to on Youtube and when he said the same thing as Trump his cohost and many of the listeners were quick to correct him on it. It's simple unbelieveable. Just remember same guy said this was all a hoax not to long ago 
That's a lie. Please take this to political thread.

Somebody has to explain why there have been so many wrongthinkers about COVID. I mean, there were always going to be doubters ... but they should have been confined to the lunatic fringe. Shouldn't have been like 2/3 of the nation totally doubting the seriousness of COVID. Shaking my head ... this has been seen coming clearly -- to the U.S. -- for over a month.
There's a lot of reasons why. Misinformation online and other things. Certain media, certain people making false claims etc. I won't go any further then say some of it is political driven though. It sucks and shouldn't be but thats what our world especially in this country has become over the last decade or more. 

NHL may follow NBA. Decision tomorrow. 
As they should. Everyone should shut down. Just before they announced the first COVID-19 case yesterday the day before I told my buddy lets not go to any games or anything like that. Heck not sure I'd go to the movies at this point. 

If it gets any worse and the CEO of the parent company starts threatening termination you need to lawyer up or threaten to. Tell him you are following Professional health advice in these times. Its good he admired your passion but what he tells you today he might email or call you tomorrow with he changed his mind and wants you all there. Good for you for sticking to your guns and Morales and everything else though. Keep us updated 
Thanks.  He's a good guy.  Just relying on the wrong sources and too focused on his biz (which is getting crushed with cancellations).  Some of his myopia was likely wishful thinking.  Not an excuse, but an explanation.

Thx for the advice though.  Always worth considering how it may go bad

I wouldn't panic, I just wanted to avoid the #### show tomorrow. We haven't had any confirmed cases in my town so things have been pretty calm, but the university just announced that they're canceling classes until the 28th. That, along with the national developments tonight, will probably get people around here a little worked up.
Non In my town but I live about 15 or so mins from Lower Merion where 2 cases are both from the DR who has it at HUP now who they saw. To update on the DR he is a Cardiovascular DR so these kids are already at risk. I have no new updates as I was at work and by the time I was done my mom is asleep. I'll know more tomorrow hopefully about that. I heard of the case before Philly made the official announcement a day before. 

I work in food retail and over the last 3 days things have gotten a bit more busy. I won't panic until people get in their French toast mood (Eggs.bread. milk) and stockpiling. Can't wait to deal with all the PO'd customers who are angry because we are out of stock on stuff. Supply and demand people. 

Wow, I missed a lot in a few hours.  Insanity, but then we knew this was coming.  Hang in there everybody.  

Gonna be a crazy few weeks but remember that this virus isn't dangerous to most of us younger ones.  Tell your older parents/grand-parents to stay home, deliver them groceries to their front porch (or virtually walk them through how to use online delivery), try to keep a reasonable supply, and remember that governments freaking the hell out and cancelling everything is exactly what China did, and China has brought the growth of this to a standstill.  The USA has an enormous amount of territory and if strict quarantines come soon, there are many neighborhoods/cities/counties that will not see this virus at all.  

Heard Hoiberg was sick to point that he left the game early and was taken to the hospital.  I’m sure we’ll find out soon if it’s COVID-19.
Sure hope not. I have nothing but good things to say about Hoiberg. He was done wrong by my teams organization filled with idiots. 

Because of this thread my freezer is stocked,  I bought TP last week before the shortage and now I'm making a run to the PX with my daughter in law this week to stock up on Jameson. You guys rock 👍
I'm the fool who wanted to drive as close as possible to the big Cali earthquakes near my house last summer. I never hoard anything. I like fresh food. I always think people panic and overreact. I've chuckled at Ham for years. But a couple weeks ago this thread got under my skin. My daughter at UCLA was shocked at my explanations. "Of all people not you, dad." Anyway she is coming home tonight and I will hose her down in the front yard. I am stocked and prepped for the long haul. No way I am on top of this without this thread. Thanks to those who sounded the alarm. Big big thanks from me.

Its gonna be OK

The next few weeks will be crazy. News will report black friday like fights for toilet paper.

The stock market will still go down 

All sports will be canceled for a weeks maybe months 

Some things will be outright cancelled or moved til next year...eurocup...Olympics etc...

More panic will set in as people die 

More famous people will test positive 

But then...

Those same famous people will survive 

Sports will start returning and you'll hear the crack of a baseball bat....or an Astro banging on a garbage can

Things will start to get back to normal.

Yoga pants will still not be allowed here 
Pretty sure Trump's announced emergency measures tonight mandated yoga pants threads on all online sports message boards.

No school closures in LA yet. Bro says the super thinks it would be catastrophic. You figure a lot of schools there are full of kids who rely on getting a meal a day and parents who live check to check.

New here huh? Welcome

Come on down, we have plenty  :thumbup:  Fort Mill could always use some of your crusty Uptown cash  :moneybag:
Nope just didn't realize people took Internet forums full of strangers so seriously. I get making stuff understandable but come on if you can't get the point maybe its you with the comprehension issues not the person's spelling or grammar. Like I said earlier to someone about seeing other people's views (I'm more into hearing them out first before ignoring them) but there some people here more then a decade or 2 older then me who act their shoe size then their age. It's kind of embarrassing. 

Shouldn't be surprised. One guy in our football league who was part of our MLB.com forum (closed 2 yrs ago or so now) didn't like a trade veto (Trade was completely one sided in his) and   went ape on it. Called out our league commish and it got real bad like personal attacks and included my Commish's family. Completely out of line. Before that he was in our draft thread and taking personal shots at everyone. Then a few days later sent out the family personal attacks dropped everyone from his team and left. May I also let you know this dude was in his 50s. Myself and the Commish are in our 30s. I said something boy people sure act differently from a forum. Never had an issue with the guy on the board before and most others didn't either. One of the nicer ones too. 

“fred hoiberg woke up sick, is ostensibly aware of the state of the world, and walked into a large gathering of people to coach a 7-24 basketball team anyway.”

the amount of stupidity and selfishness here is staggering. 
Is it? If we weren't in the state we are now I think people would say he was pretty selfish and putting his team first before anything else. Look I get the circumstances right now just saying if they were different people would be calling this differently 

Users who are viewing this thread