Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

2 minutes ago, culdeus said:
13 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I don't want to brag, but I am pretty good at Pandemic.  I am sure I can find 3 other people here, and we could wipe out CoVid-19, and three other diseases in no time!  :hifive:

@hagmania ?

Oh I own that game.  No jesus walks you #######

Love that game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jackstraw said:

I am in a public organization and I was attempting to lead my Board into some proactive measures and I was basically laughed out of the room. Unbelievable. 

Unfortunately, a great number of people just can't fathom something like this until Nana drops dead or they themselves end up in ICU. Only THEN is it an issue.

• Sad 1

Wife just came back from the ophthalmologist's office. Said doctor was offended and insulted when she wouldn't shake hands with him. He said people are making too big a deal of this.

11 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

I'm rooting for shady to be right... may this panic be for naught.  

But... where i have very little ability reconcile what he's saying is probably what brought us into this thread in January, if this was a blip, why is a businesses first country like China locking down so hard.  Could they be wrong too?  Sure.  There could be a million other factors but seeing that, seeing this rip through the cruise ships which are their own little experiment...to me they're canaries in the coal mine.  Please let me be wrong though.

Think the main concern is there's no cure for it and China being the most populated place outside of India it can spread fast. I think thats the gist of the concern no vaccination for it yet 

1 minute ago, Jackstraw said:

I am in a public organization and I was attempting to lead my Board into some proactive measures and I was basically laughed out of the room. Unbelievable. 

Several friends are reporting similar experiences.  Some are finding success by treating it like a legal / liability issue to get any attention - but that's only going to get you a band-aid CYA solution.  Forget suggesting anything that has a financial impact on the company. 

Inslee presser:

Apparently Washingtonians are good at staying home from work, washing their hands and bumping elbows instead of shaking hands.

1 minute ago, Moonlight said:

Wife just came back from the ophthalmologist's office. Said doctor was offended and insulted when she wouldn't shake hands with him. He said people are making too big a deal of this.

My opinion is he is a jackass for at least not understanding peoples fears.  Particularly when there has been guidance to the public to not shake hands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jobber said:

We postponed our Norwegian cruise (was supposed to be Mar 20 - 27 from LA down along Mexico) and will re-book in 2021 or some time. We decided, "hey, let's go to Vegas" and booked a hotel there for a few days. Thinking we'd avoid getting stuck in quarantine on the boat and worst case can drive back home in a rental if the airlines were a problem. Now we're starting to think we'll cancel that too. Maybe.  

5 days ago I was feeling pretty good about our spring break travel chances, but that has moved to a very low probability now.  Happy that United appears to offer reasonable change policy finally.

6 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I think this is backwards.  What Italy shows us is that even a fairly mild outbreak affecting a small % of the population will completely overwhelm the health care system and cause a national catastrophe.

Lets do one better. it shows that many countries are not prepared for something that can completely overwhelm or collapse their health care system. 

Been seeing a lot of people using jazz hands to greet people.  I'm not shaking hands, but I will go to my grave before doing jazz hands.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 6

On 3/9/2020 at 8:53 PM, bradyfan said:

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-09
31 Provinces & XPCC
  Suspected: 349 (+36)
  Confirmed: 80754 (+19)
  Severe: 4794 (-317)
  Dead: 3136 (+17)
  Recovered: 59897 (+1297)
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 69 (+2)
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 115 (Dead: 3, Recovered: 60) 
Macau - Confirmed: 10 (Recovered: 10) 
Taiwan - Confirmed: 45 (Dead: 1, Recovered: 15)

Here is last night’s update.

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-10
31 Provinces & XPCC 
  Suspected: 285 (+31
  Confirmed: 80778 (+24
  Severe: 4492 (-302
  Dead: 3158 (+22
  Recovered: 61475 (+1578
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 79 (+10
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 120 (Dead: 3, Recovered: 65) 
Macau - Confirmed: 10 (Recovered: 10) 
Taiwan - Confirmed: 47 (Dead: 1, Recovered: 17)

6 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

University of Wisconsin is going online after spring break on March 23, but students will be allowed to remain in the dorms.  Seems pointless honestly.

I wondered about this when I got a similar email / notice for another big 10 school.

I guess the problem is not all kids have a place to go. You can't simply evict them. 

1 minute ago, Scoresman said:

Been seeing a lot of people using jazz hands to greet people.  I'm not shaking hands, but I will go to my grave before doing jazz hands.  

change one letter and  you have your new greeting

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

A few things I have been doing to mitigate risk of picking up germs is to only use my left hand opening doors and pressing the elevator button.  I actually just try and use one or two fingers, and then wipe them off immediately on my pants.  Should I bother wiping my hand on my pants?  Does this do anything?  Could it be worse because I'm getting germs on my pants?  I'll hang up and listen.

ive been using my left hand knuckle to operate anything that requires a finger. for doors that arnt doorknobs ive been using my left pinky. doorknobs i try to avoid.. honestly ive been like this for a while so its nothing new to me. before this whole coronavirus ive always had hand sanitzer in my car and used a bunch after pumping gas etc

• Like 1

Just now, -fish- said:

Inslee presser:

Apparently Washingtonians are good at staying home from work, washing their hands and bumping elbows instead of shaking hands.

24 Washingtonians dead; 268 confirmed, "hundreds of thousands of more on the streets."   Gatherings of 250 or more prohibited in King, Pierce and Snohomish county.  Includes church gatherings, sporting events, concerts and pretty much anything else (I live in Pierce County).

Knowing this is Washington, they're going to get sued for violating the right to free assembly immediately.   

Just now, -fish- said:

24 Washingtonians dead; 268 confirmed, "hundreds of thousands of more on the streets."   Gatherings of 250 or more prohibited in King, Pierce and Snohomish county.  Includes church gatherings, sporting events, concerts and pretty much anything else (I live in Pierce County).

Knowing this is Washington, they're going to get sued for violating the right to free assembly immediately.   

Prohibition "very highly likely to be extended beyond March" and to other counties.

1 minute ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

I wondered about this when I got a similar email / notice for another big 10 school.

I guess the problem is not all kids have a place to go. You can't simply evict them. 

would the universities have to refund room/board fees?

2 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

Michigan State as well. 

5 minutes ago, Moonlight said:

An ophthalmologist wouldn't be in my top 10 of doctor specialties to get advice on the Coronavirus..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

My opinion is he is a jackass for at least not understanding peoples fears.  Particularly when there has been guidance to the public to not shake hands.

seriously, who cares.  it's so important to shake someone's hand?  guy should be ashamed of himself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

ive been using my left hand knuckle to operate anything that requires a finger. for doors that arnt doorknobs ive been using my left pinky. doorknobs i try to avoid.. honestly ive been like this for a while so its nothing new to me. before this whole coronavirus ive always had hand sanitzer in my car and used a bunch after pumping gas etc

Ah.  “The stranger” approach. 

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Guess you haven't seen the list on the internet. Every election year theres something going going on to scare the public. 

SARS 04

AVIAN 08

SWINE 10

MERS 2012

Ebola 14

ZIKA 16

Ebola 18

COVID-19 '20 

Seems a little too convenient 

We need a smiley for "most ignorant comment of the day".... like the opposite of winning the day, but losing the day. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Jazz hands or cruise first?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Meh. The thread is fine. I actually like to read opposing viewpoints, as it’s easy to get in a bubble of people with similar opinions and experiences.

I don’t understand people getting so defensive in the face of objective data, or requests to clarify/back up their assertions. 

I don't mind different opposing views either. It's those who go on the personal attack the minute someone comes in. I'm one of the younger posters here and feel that some posters on this forum act their shoe size more then their age at times. It's kind of embarrassing and pathetic at times. I'm more about taking people's opposing views these days than I was even 2 yrs 

55 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

Has anyone ordered stuff from eBay or amazon experience delays because of covid 19?

Amazon a few times recently

Next day

3 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Prohibition "very highly likely to be extended beyond March" and to other counties.

Schools staying open for now, but "intense thought" and asking for school superintendents to come up with contingency plans for school closures in the next few days.   

4 hours ago, moleculo said:

looking at some data:

Italy has 10149 confirmed cases, and a population of 60.4M, or 16.8 cases per 100k citizens.  That's enough to overrun their medical system.

South Korea has 7755 conformed cases, and a population of 51.5M, or 15.1 cases per 100k citizens.  They seem to be handling this fine.

What's the difference?

I read up on this yesterday but South Korea's popular age avg is a lot younger than others. So the cases there are not as severe (Happening in young adults) or do to less elder is not having as high of a rate. 

57 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

Has anyone ordered stuff from eBay or amazon experience delays because of covid 19?

yeah i brought this up on monday? noticing many items that were available last week are gone or no longer prime eligible. also many items are getting pushed back beyond the  2 days

1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

I don't mind different opposing views either. It's those who go on the personal attack the minute someone comes in. I'm one of the younger posters here and feel that some posters on this forum act their shoe size more then their age at times. It's kind of embarrassing and pathetic at times. I'm more about taking people's opposing views these days than I was even 2 yrs 

Ever stop and think it's because your posts spread faster then this virus. You do not have to respond to every post. Please.

Other governors have talked to Inslee; he expects Washington response to be template for other states.

15 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

You have to check a box to ignore posts. Can't just click ignore.

• Like 1

Whoa...gatherings of less than 250 are also prohibited unless they can meet public health guidelines.  Sort of buried the lede there.

If anyone is curious, I work for a major equipment rental company. We carry a number of air scrubbers & remediation equipment across the US & Canada. Some helpful tips in case you start to see these terms pop up in regards to treatment and/or temporary facilities. This isn't official, just me sharing some knowledge so don't sue me later please.

HEPA air scrubbers - These are great units for removing particulates from the air. Typically things that are bigger than .3 microns, mold, dander, dust. It will trap some of the virus's out there but those are typically smaller, around .1 micron so a typical HEPA will only do so much. Medical grade stuff can get it but it's expensive and not typically available to the general population. The other issue you have with HEPA units is they don't kill the virus, they just contain the live virus so at some point you have to deal with a filter full of bad stuff unless you quarantine the unit for 14 days or whatever period it takes for this stuff to die off.

Negative Air Machines - These typically work in tandem with another solution. Basically they create an environment where you are sucking the bad air out of an area and depositing it someplace else. Helps to keep the area clean where the isolation is occurring but again you are just moving the bad air to someplace else. You don't want to be standing on the wrong side of the vent for a negative air machine.

UV Light - This actually kills the virus (assuming a number of things). The best option is a combination UV Light/HEPA filter machine. The rental versions of these units are expensive and now, almost impossible to get. There are only so many manufacturers of these units and they are all currently slammed. In order for UV Light to be effective, the unit has to operate at a very low cfm (400 or below) to allow maximum exposure of the virus to the UV light. Anything higher than that and you're just blowing it out too quickly for it to be effective. The HEPA usually acts a first line of defense. Unfortunately there is limited production available of these units and because the cfm is so low, it takes a while to actually clean a room. The bigger the room, the longer it takes or the more units you need.

Ozone Machines - these don't kill the virus and if you are in the room for a long period of time it will probably kill you. Don't let someone tell you these will help.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, soothsayer said:

On the local TV news last night they did a story about our metro buses and light rail and how they are typically "deep-cleaned" once every 30-45 days. Even under normal circumstances that seems outrageously lax. Perhaps - and I know I'm dreaming here - our country will begin to make keeping things clean more of a priority. I keep hearing about how restaurants, cabs, schools, etc. are deep-cleaning and beefing up their daily cleaning protocols. FFS, why haven't they always been keeping things that clean? I wasn't a germaphobe before but I might be one going forward!

You are dreaming sorry. I wish they would make it a priority but theres so many egos and ignorance in this country at upper levels it won't happen. Plus it cost money and they big wigs don't want to open their purses. My work I use to do a lot of the cleaning and sanitation stuff. I felt like I was pulling teeth to get some dry mopheads, sanitizer cleaner etc at times. 

I have the perfect storm here at work.  A co-worker who is of the belief that coming in when you're sick impresses the higher ups.  And our boss who feels you should come in and work even if you're sick and is impressed by people who do this.

She coughing like a 5 pack a day smoker.

I already texted my wife and said get ready to be quarantined.  Honestly, I hope it happens.  To be quarantined for the NCAA tournament would be like an extra bonus.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

University of Wisconsin is going online after spring break on March 23, but students will be allowed to remain in the dorms.  Seems pointless honestly.

It does protect the (older) staff a bit.  But ya, it's the diet-coke of precautions, just one calorie, not precautionary enough.

Just now, TheIronSheik said:

I have the perfect storm here at work.  A co-worker who is of the belief that coming in when you're sick impresses the higher ups.  And our boss who feels you should come in and work even if you're sick and is impressed by people who do this.

I already texted my wife and said get ready to be quarantined.  Honestly, I hope it happens.  To be quarantined for the NCAA tournament would be like an extra bonus.  

Can't you just leave?

So what's the difference between how South Korea contained this thing vs. here other than they tested a ton more people?  We're trending towards all major gatherings being cancelled, schools being shut down and people working from home.  I'm not a "justtheflu" bro, but I also am trying to see the bright side of the measures we ARE taking.  

• Like 1

Just now, TheIronSheik said:

I'd be happily surprised if there was a tournament at this point.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

WWII was a much larger test for our planet than this pandemic.  Not annihilating civilization through global thermonuclear war was/is a bigger test as well. 

Ummmmm...ok?

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

HR down?  If that co-worker is close to you, book a conference room all day every day and go there or something?  Come on man... GET OUT OF THERE!

3 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Whoa...gatherings of less than 250 are also prohibited unless they can meet public health guidelines.  Sort of buried the lede there.

Great my wife has another excuse 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

1 minute ago, -fish- said:

Other governors have talked to Inslee; he expects Washington response to be template for other states.

Cuomo needs to step up and make some tough calls. Now. 

Just now, Scoresman said:

So what's the difference between how South Korea contained this thing vs. here other than they tested a ton more people?  We're trending towards all major gatherings being cancelled, schools being shut down and people working from home.  I'm not a "justtheflu" bro, but I also am trying to see the bright side of the measures we ARE taking.  

By not testing, we lost 6-8 weeks of time when these measures could have been more effective.   

3 hours ago, [icon] said:

My attempt to break this out to make a little easier to understand. I welcome feedback:

China (B+) - Contained - Receding
Testing/Identification: (B) While things started slow, China rapidly ramped up widespread testing, rapidly identifying and isolating cases.
Containment: (A) The benefits of authoritarian regime, China has isolated and quarantined in a way no other country can. It proved effective in shutting down the virus. 
Treatment: (B) While some lower tier hospitals had lesser facilities, and initial reactions were slow... they responded with massive capacity and staff increases. 
Compliance: (A) Chinese people mostly complied (with limited choice), and there was a social stigma toward compliance for the greater good. 

South Korea (A) Contained / Slowing
Testing/Identification: (A) SK, through benefit of a head start, rapidly ramped up testing and case identification, deploying great new tech/ideas. 
Containment: (B) SK is a free nation that used less draconian, self-quarantine methods that were still quite effective due to compliance. 
Treatment: (B) SK has state of the art hospitals and lots of them, 5x as many beds per capita as US/Italy. This resulted in a very low CFR. 
Compliance: (A) SK people have complied, and there was a social stigma toward compliance for the greater good. 

Italy (C-) - Outbreak
Testing/Identification: (C+) Italy was slow to react, but has ramped up testing a little too late. 
Containment: (C) An initially lax, followed by accelerated closing of events and quarantines. Leaders calling for closing more businesses due to compliance issues. 
Treatment: (C) Italy has low capacity (beds/capita) but thankfully modern healthcare. They're dangerously overwhelmed but doing their best. 
Compliance: (F) The Italian people are still gathering, the youth are rebelling saying it only affects the elderly, social stigma trends toward ignoring the threat, 

United States (D) - Pre-Outbreak
Testing/Identification: (F) Despite having nearly 2 months of head-start, CDC is criminally behind in manufacturing/administering tests. Allowing rapid spread. 
Containment: (C-) Still Early > some private event cancellations, poor government communication / action, likely resulting in rapid spread. 
Treatment: (B) World class healthcare but very limited capacity will be problematic / Preparation seems hit or miss / We're likely not even close to ready for a surge. 
Compliance:
(F) Americans are largely ignoring the virus, youth are saying it only affects the elderly, social stigma trends toward ignoring the threat. 

These obviously aren't all the countries, but I think it shows a snapshot of different approaches and the impact they're having. 

Our overall healthcare is no where near as world class as it could be. Yes better then some others in terms of equipment but I wouldn't say world class. 

• Laughing 1

Interesting stuff locally - my wife knows someone who works in the Fayette County Public Schools home office - they have been meeting today to work out logistics to close schools for 3 weeks (1 of those weeks would be spring break) - no final decision made yet, but looking likely.

3 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

If anyone is curious, I work for a major equipment rental company. We carry a number of air scrubbers & remediation equipment across the US & Canada. Some helpful tips in case you start to see these terms pop up in regards to treatment and/or temporary facilities. This isn't official, just me sharing some knowledge so don't sue me later please.

HEPA air scrubbers - These are great units for removing particulates from the air. Typically things that are bigger than .3 microns, mold, dander, dust. It will trap some of the virus's out there but those are typically smaller, around .1 micron so a typical HEPA will only do so much. Medical grade stuff can get it but it's expensive and not typically available to the general population. The other issue you have with HEPA units is they don't kill the virus, they just contain the live virus so at some point you have to deal with a filter full of bad stuff unless you quarantine the unit for 14 days or whatever period it takes for this stuff to die off.

Negative Air Machines - These typically work in tandem with another solution. Basically they create an environment where you are sucking the bad air out of an area and depositing it someplace else. Helps to keep the area clean where the isolation is occurring but again you are just moving the bad air to someplace else. You don't want to be standing on the wrong side of the vent for a negative air machine.

UV Light - This actually kills the virus (assuming a number of things). The best option is a combination UV Light/HEPA filter machine. The rental versions of these units are expensive and now, almost impossible to get. There are only so many manufacturers of these units and they are all currently slammed. In order for UV Light to be effective, the unit has to operate at a very low cfm (400 or below) to allow maximum exposure of the virus to the UV light. Anything higher than that and you're just blowing it out too quickly for it to be effective. The HEPA usually acts a first line of defense. Unfortunately there is limited production available of these units and because the cfm is so low, it takes a while to actually clean a room. The bigger the room, the longer it takes or the more units you need.

Ozone Machines - these don't kill the virus and if you are in the room for a long period of time it will probably kill you. Don't let someone tell you these will help.

So if you were on a flight right now, would you use the fan or not?  Being told from airlines that they use HEPA filters.  Trying to decide if using/not using the fan is best. 

• Like 1

I just saw a great idea on twitter for sporting events.  Rather than banning all fans from the stadium, each team nominates one super-fan to attend and represent them in the stands.  Perhaps home teams could get 2 super-fans, to preserve home-court advantage.  I'd like to see this happen for March Madness.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

On a scale of 1-10 - how bad would it be to root for Coronavirus to take root in Liverpool, and cause the cancellation of the PL season?

I'm going with a 3 but you are talking to an AC Milan fan who still has Champions League nightmares of that one night