What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

This might get lost in all of this, but if anyone here is a medical professional in a hospital, my church is putting together a response team to send care packages to the local hospital for the staff and nurses specifically who are going to be overwhelmed if they aren't already.  I'm thinking that just a bunch of junk food and snacks is the usual go to, but I'm wondering if there are other little things we can give them to help them get through long hours of crisis and stress?  Any input?
Pretty sure @ghostguy123 is an RN at a hospital in CLE (at least that's what my notebook says)
@Tecumseh , @Terminalxylem , @ProstheticRGK ... I believe they all are medical professionals. All have posted in this thread pretty regularly.

Based on posts in this thread, @matuski seems to interact with surgeons and such in his job, but I don't know what his specific role is. Don't know if he'd have his finger on the pulse of what front-line staff like nurses are going through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed -- I am pretty surprised that the NCAA didn't insta-cancel yesterday after what happened with Rudi Gobert and the separate incident with Nebraska basketball coach Fred Hoiberg (though he has since tested negative IIRC).
I said this somewhere else - but, these are really hard decisions for leagues to make.  We are talking a lot of money, and you don't want to piss that away on an overreaction.  And, I think people in these positions are still straddling the fence on "appropriate" v. "over-reaction"

Maybe none, more than NCAA.  These other leagues can absorb a smaller hit to their overall revenue stream - for the NCAA - they have 3 weeks, and thats it.  There is very limited room to try and postpone - considering venue issues, travel issues, TV issues, player issues.  This is pretty much an all-or-nothing decision - that they have to get right, for all their stakeholders.

To lighten up the tone a bit.

What three posters would you want to ride out this pandemic with?

My list

1) @[icon] pretty obvious he is prepared and we wouldn't go hungry or thirsty

2) @matuski he would protect us from any 5' nothing profressional fighters trying to steal our supplies

3) @krista4 woud balance out all the ####### testosterone from the 2 dudes above
I made a list!  😀

Maybe none, more than NCAA.  These other leagues can absorb a smaller hit to their overall revenue stream - for the NCAA - they have 3 weeks, and thats it.  There is very limited room to try and postpone - considering venue issues, travel issues, TV issues, player issues.  This is pretty much an all-or-nothing decision - that they have to get right, for all their stakeholders.
A postponement would be the easiest pill to swallow as far as hosting a tournament goes -- if the #1 interest is in determining a champion. The bitter part would be losing venues and then replacing them with others. You'd yank tournament games from Cleveland and other large cities, and then likely move them with little notice to smaller towns/venues, especially on-campus sites. I'd expect many (not all) college arenas to be largely unused after basketball.

Kansas has announced three new cases, all were attendees of a "Florida conference previously associated with the outbreak." I'm guessing that's CPAC?

How did an entire NBA team get tested so quickly?
A positive test triggers more testing for those in contact.  For people like Culdeus, who are symptomatic and presumably in a LOW threat area, testing is being withheld for only those with the most severe symptoms.  At least that's how it's working in our State.  Reserve judgment on the effectiveness of that approach for the Political thread.  

A postponement would be the easiest pill to swallow as far as hosting a tournament goes -- if the #1 interest is in determining a champion. The bitter part would be losing venues and then replacing them with others. You'd yank tournament games from Cleveland and other large cities, and then likely move them with little notice to smaller towns/venues, especially on-campus sites. I'd expect many (not all) college arenas to be largely unused after basketball.
Gosh I am going to go nuts if there are absolutely no sports on for weeks or months on end.  Yes I know there are more important things but I need entertainment, dangit!

What's the best US map with current cases plotted?  The best I can find only dives down by state.  Is there anything detailed enough that shows cases by city?  

@Tecumseh , @Terminalxylem , @ProstheticRGK ... I believe they all are medical professionals. All have posted in this thread pretty regularly.

Based on posts in this thread, @matuski seems to interact with surgeons and such in his job, but I don't know what his specific role is. Don't know if he'd have his finger on the pulse of what front-line staff like nurses are going through.
@Jene Bramel as well.

Please no jokes in a thread where people are trying to talk about serious issues and many are very concerned and worried. 

If that means you have to leave, we fully understand and we're sorry but that's how we're going to try and operate here. 
You'll have about as much success in keeping people from making jokes as we have in preventing the spread of COVID-19.  Would you like us to start reporting posts with jokes in here just to help out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think one of the "sad" (and I mean that in relative terms) aspects of this incident - generally, we have used sports, and sporting events, as diversions in times of crisis.   Something to take our mind off the crisis, and give us a rallying point. 

Now, those are being taken away - and not really replaced.

The Australian Grand Prix has been called off, two senior Formula 1 sources have told BBC Sport.

There has been no official confirmation from F1 or governing body the FIA but the news follows a McLaren team member testing positive for coronavirus.

The situation has been rapidly developing through Thursday night in Melbourne but an announcement that the race will not take place is expected.

The announcement throws into doubt the rest of the Formula 1 season.

What's the best US map with current cases plotted?  The best I can find only dives down by state.  Is there anything detailed enough that shows cases by city?  
This one is crowdsourced, so the data can lag behind a few to several hours in some locations. But it's the best I can find for zooming in close on cities & towns.

@[icon] , this is the same map we discussed yesterday that you said was lagging for Tennessee. It now shows 8 TN cases -- 1 in Memphis, 6 near Nashville + burbs, and one out in Sullivan County (Knoxville? Bristol?). Is that more up to date? Stuff moves fast.

My daughter works at Sam’s and she said they limited TP to two a member. There are signs saying this everywhere, yet people keep coming up to her register with carts full. She tells them sorry limit of two and she told me there have been multiple customers arguing with her and getting really aggressive. She then explains to them it isn’t her call that they literally programmed the registers to not allow more than two to be rung up under each member’s card. She says some get the point, but more than one customer has told her, “fine you come take these out of my cart,” and refuse to remove them. 

People are jerks...

My daughter works at Sam’s and she said they limited TP to two a member. There are signs saying this everywhere, yet people keep coming up to her register with carts full. She tells them sorry limit of two and she told me there have been multiple customers arguing with her and getting really aggressive. She then explains to them it isn’t her call that they literally programmed the registers to not allow more than two to be rung up under each member’s card. She says some get the point, but more than one customer has told her, “fine you come take these out of my cart,” and refuse to remove them. 

People are jerks...
Glad to hear everyone is pulling together 

I do think one of the "sad" (and I mean that in relative terms) aspects of this incident - generally, we have used sports, and sporting events, as diversions in times of crisis.   Something to take our mind off the crisis, and give us a rallying point. 

Now, those are being taken away - and not really replaced.
If schools are cancelled, and more people start working from home, Netflix and others are going to see a surge.

The toilet paper thing, is this all because this stuff is made in China?  I can't clearly find this thru google, in fact if I look through google it would make me think we make all TP in the USA from the major brands.  Why is this such a tight commodity? 

Full disclosure: I have plenty on hand.  If an fbg needs some I can fax it.

This one is crowdsourced, so the data can lag behind a few to several hours in some locations. But it's the best I can find for zooming in close on cities & towns.

@[icon] , this is the same map we discussed yesterday that you said was lagging for Tennessee. It now shows 8 TN cases -- 1 in Memphis, 6 near Nashville + burbs, and one out in Sullivan County (Knoxville? Bristol?). Is that more up to date? Stuff moves fast.
Whoa.  This is an eye opening map.  I'm sure it was posted 100 times earlier (like the JH one).  It has links to news sources for each case (at least the ones i clicked on).  I "forgot" there was one at my local hospital down here in Pierce county WA.  😕   SIL works there.  She's of course very tough and "this is just flu" type.  Can't waaaaaait for family dinner next week.

Just got word from the Director out of Atlanta.... we are officially WFH until further notice. 

And she is a hardcore "show up at the office" type. Relieved.

Operation Lockdown is now officially ready to deploy. 

The toilet paper thing, is this all because this stuff is made in China?  I can't clearly find this thru google, in fact if I look through google it would make me think we make all TP in the USA from the major brands.  Why is this such a tight commodity? 

I think it was more of a demand issue than a supply issue.  Just people buying tons and tons of it.  Apparently that's the main thing they don't want to be without if quarantined.

Just got word from the Director out of Atlanta.... we are officially WFH until further notice. 

And she is a hardcore "show up at the office" type. Relieved.

Operation Lockdown is now officially ready to deploy. 
Come on man we want a running diary of life at the icon bunker.

Day 26–beans not sprouting. TP supply being tested. Spirits still high. 🤣

On the phone right now with a coworker in India. He says currently 73 confirmed cases, but acknowledges there are likely a whole lot more - certainly that's speculation on his part.

maid is currently here.  i probably would've cancelled if there were cases in my area.  somehow having my house disinfected seems reassuring, but she cleans a lot of houses :oldunsure:

On the phone right now with a coworker in India. He says currently 73 confirmed cases, but acknowledges there are likely a whole lot more - certainly that's speculation on his part.
I was talking about India with my family last night. There's gotta be boatloads of cases there.

Does anyone else remember the classic thread where one FGB insisted that he wipes his butt with washcloths in the shower, leaving them in a pile for his housekeeper to clean up?  It seemed like schtick, but he stayed with it forever and had quite a few believers.  Anyway, it struck me this morning - that guy is probably riding high right now with no need to stock up on TP, so long as his housekeeper keeps showing up every day.

Users who are viewing this thread