What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

I'd want to know if I have it so I'm extra cautious not to spread it. Plus it would be nice to know that I have it, it's manageable, and I don't have to worry about getting it again probably moving forward.
In practical terms, what would you do differently? You’re already quarantined, and should already be practicing good hand/cough hygiene etc.

I understand wanting to alleviate anxiety, but with current testing availability, that just isn’t good use of resources. We’re gonna have a lot more cases of much sicker people diagnosed in the upcoming months.

Can't remember the bet and which poster it was.  But the guy was giving @Mr. Ham a ton of #### about his take on this and his prepping and all.

He laughed Ham right off the board if I remember correctly.
IIRC, it was OTIS, and he never agreed to Ham’s bet.
FWIW to the house ... Mr. Ham has come back to post in this thread many times since then. Hardly "laughed off".

Would be really great if people could stop saying Bolsonaro has coronavirus. He has been tested. His results are scheduled to be released Friday. An aid to Bolsonaro has tested positive. Now more than ever we have a responsibility to double- and triple- check information before sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Herd immunity, in the end.  Once half the population has antibodies the virus has a hard time spreading.

Early and mass testing, with immediate quarantine, could stop it.  We have yet to get traction on that.  Progress will be made.
You’re right, but the number of exposed needs to be much higher than 1/2. There’s a formula based on R0; it’s likely well over 90% who need exposure/vaccination before herd immunity is effective.

Until April 12.   I have tickets to see Hamilton on April 18 so I am guessing I am SOL in trying to get a refund.
I would quickly try to move your tickets to an earlier date.  You can do this online right now.  It will take some time for them to push the refunds out.

I've got Hamilton tickets 3/17 so as soon as they cancel mine I'll let you know.

Broadway shut but schools still open.  Guh.  
It's frustrating to watch Europe make the same mistakes of not investing in a full "lockdown" soon enough and watch the numbers spiral upward as well as in Washington/California and then continue to do the exact same thing. 

This step-wise approach when we are constantly a step behind is only adding to the total numbers. 

Would be really great if people could stop saying Bolsonaro has coronavirus. He has been tested. His results are scheduled to be released Friday. An aid to Bolsonaro has tested positive. Now more than ever we have a responsibility to double- and triple- check information before sharing.
Tell that to the reporters who are saying it.

Kids gotta eat. NYC doesn't have a plan to feed people other than have them show up at school.
This.

I know this was a big part of the discussion here locally - how to get food to the kids who are qualifying for free/reduced meals, while schools are closed.

So many moving parts to shutting schools.

This might get lost in all of this, but if anyone here is a medical professional in a hospital, my church is putting together a response team to send care packages to the local hospital for the staff and nurses specifically who are going to be overwhelmed if they aren't already.  I'm thinking that just a bunch of junk food and snacks is the usual go to, but I'm wondering if there are other little things we can give them to help them get through long hours of crisis and stress?  Any input?
That's incredibly thoughtful. We haven't been impacted yet, but I expect that things are going to get weird over the next few weeks. Since I work peds, I don't expect there to be a huge outbreak, since kids aren't really affected, but I do expect our ER to get slammed with every kid who comes down with a sniffle. Junk food and snacks are great for your local hospital. I will say, as a night shift nurse, we usually get short shrift when it comes to goodies, so anything targeted to the night shifters would be amazing. There is a company called insomnia cookies that delivers fresh baked cookies until 3am(?). I think it's probably for college kids and stoners, but we order from them alot. IIRC, you're in NJ? They have locations in Ewing and Hoboken. A random order, or even gift cards from them would be well received, as well as Starbucks cards, or anything else really.

That's incredibly thoughtful. We haven't been impacted yet, but I expect that things are going to get weird over the next few weeks. Since I work peds, I don't expect there to be a huge outbreak, since kids aren't really affected, but I do expect our ER to get slammed with every kid who comes down with a sniffle. Junk food and snacks are great for your local hospital. I will say, as a night shift nurse, we usually get short shrift when it comes to goodies, so anything targeted to the night shifters would be amazing. There is a company called insomnia cookies that delivers fresh baked cookies until 3am(?). I think it's probably for college kids and stoners, but we order from them alot. IIRC, you're in NJ? They have locations in Ewing and Hoboken. A random order, or even gift cards from them would be well received, as well as Starbucks cards, or anything else really.
:yes:

Ok, I’ll go with them and their numbers based on a massive testing program. You go with the make believe numbers you need to hit so that your magical 1% is breached. 
It turns out my number wasn't so magical.  Math doesn't lie.  Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said this yesterday:

The WHO’s estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 started off at 2%, Fauci said. If you count all the estimated cases of people who may have it but haven’t been diagnosed yet, the mortality rate is probably closer to 1%, he said, “which means it’s 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

I thought it would be a county by county decision - but the entire state will close?
Ohio Gov - "We have today again consulted with experts, so we are announcing today that children in the state will have an extended spring break of 3 weeks. We will review it afterwards. This will begin on Monday."

I totally get the need to close schools. So not arguing with it.

But it REALLY creates a lot of child care problems. Not sure how those are going to be resolved.
Yeah, this would be really tough. My wife and I could probably work every other day, but not many people have that luxury. 

Maybe all the college and high school kids that are now home can babysit the younger kids in the neighborhood? 

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Top-ranked Kansas has also withdrawn from the NCAA tournament.

Good night, tournament.

I totally get the need to close schools. So not arguing with it.

But it REALLY creates a lot of child care problems. Not sure how those are going to be resolved.
heard a stat last night that 38% of nurses have children in schools.  With no schools, what do they all do, and what strain will that have on the healthcare side of things?

Yeah, this would be really tough. My wife and I could probably work every other day, but not many people have that luxury. 

Maybe all the college and high school kids that are now home can babysit the younger kids in the neighborhood? 
We're lucking out -- mine are 16 and 13. Our 5-year old nephew who lives close by could either stay with us or our kids could go over there.

Gov. Murphy just issued a notice that New Jersey is recommending the immediate cancellation of every gathering of more than 250 people in the state.

Gov Newsom did that for CA.
Oregon's did the same last night.  Also saying school classes to continue but no after school activities.  Son's track practice was officially cancelled today.
Gov DeWine (OH) just doubled down and said no gatherings larger than 100 people.

Users who are viewing this thread