What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (2 Viewers)

China and South Korea have proven that with a strict enough lockdown and great testing, you can reverse this. They are both the best case scenarios.
Yes, not arguing that it can't be stopped.  There's much to learn from both, but was clear that China separated infected kids from parents and wives from husbands.  That's not replicable in non-authoritarian countries.  Not sure what S. Korea did, but definitely LOTS of stuff for us to learn from and adopt.  We just can't be so cavalier as to think either 1. we can do whatever China did or 2. we are different/better, so we'll be fine (American Exceptionalism gonna be shown to be hubris I fear - good in the long-term, bad in the short-term)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely is in here somewhere, but we're at 227 pages at this point....

Once you come in contact with the virus, how fast are you yourself contagious?

I hear actual symptoms don't arrive for 4-5 days, is this true?

Would be really great if people could stop saying Bolsonaro has coronavirus. He has been tested. His results are scheduled to be released Friday. An aid to Bolsonaro has tested positive. Now more than ever we have a responsibility to double- and triple- check information before sharing.
Per Glenn Greenwald:

Here's what is known about Bolsonaro's Covid-19 test: he took the test. The result should be ready. But the presidential palace is now saying the result will only be released Friday, which likely means he had a second test, and that one takes longer.
Implication being he's likely getting a second test because the first one was positive.

My kids school out a day early for spring break, will extend spring break by two days on the back end to allow teachers time to get ready for remote learning.  

2-14 day incubation period, during which time you could be asymptotic.

It is thought that it is most contagious when the symptoms are mild, but that hasn’t been proven yet.

That's actually covered in the one link in the OP.  see incubation period.  This is duplicative info of BobbyL's post, but didn't see harm referencing the useful link in OP

The best I can gather from the moving information I've read over the past month or so ...

- Seems to be contagious shortly before onset of symptoms via coughing/sneezing droplets, touching objects with droplets on hands, etc. Call it maybe a day before symptoms start -- it won't be a hard number, especially considering carriers with mild or not symptoms.

- The tricky part: Onset of symptoms have been reported as fast as three days and as long as 24 days. The longer time periods, the two-weeks and up cases, are unusual. 3-8 days is a common spread you'll see cited for symptom onset, with 5 days often given as an average.

Kids gotta eat. NYC doesn't have a plan to feed people other than have them show up at school.
This.

I know this was a big part of the discussion here locally - how to get food to the kids who are qualifying for free/reduced meals, while schools are closed.

So many moving parts to shutting schools.
Was told by our 3rd grade teacher that NYC would shut schools down on case by case basis...not citywide. 

Unofficial, of course.

My office has their head in the sand. We have projects, vendors  and clients all over the world...with staff that makes the trips repeatedly. One client from Milan was just here for meetings on Monday and Tuesday. Aside from an email about what do with the flu, there's been nothing. No plan. No recognition this isn't the normal flu...nothing.

Somebody's going to get it here, and soon...or the 40story building will shut down over concerns. I hate that we'll be reacting instead of proactively set up for a response.

On Bloomberg today the said Chinese scientists have found that it can survive in the human body for as long as 37 days.

Not sure how much of that time you are actually contagious

Went to Menards to buy a light and saw they had full shelves of toilet paper and paper towels so I bought some for my daughters places.
Depending on local shopping conditions ... picking up at least a pack of each every trip out is probably wise.

My office has their head in the sand.
I know it probably feels that way - certainly in light of all the other reactions.  But I imagine these are tough economic issues that businesses are struggling with - trying to forecast the cost of getting the decision wrong on either side.

My son's teacher has it.  His school is cancelled.  Finding out if we will be quarantined.
This is probably going to be a common refrain in here.  Fortunately kids seem to be pretty resilient to it but they spread it so easily.  Stay healthy GB. 

Found out yesterday that a teacher from my kid's school is on self quarantine.  They sprayed the school down overnight but kept the school open today.  I messaged his teacher saying i was keeping him home today and got an unusually canned response.  I suspect a lot of people stayed home.  Tomorrow they're closing "for cleaning". No word on whether they will open next week.  

If we're following Italy's timeline as closely as this suggests

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1237871260186456066?s=09

All schools in Italy were closed on what would be this Monday.

And with the number of unknown, untested cases, we should expect the number of "new" cases to grow near exponentially for weeks even if we immediately go into full quarantine. Which, so far, we're not.  

Oregon's did the same last night.  Also saying school classes to continue but no after school activities.  Son's track practice was officially cancelled today.
My next door neighbor just texted me. He's in Corvallis at his mom's and she is really sick, but hasn't been tested yet. He's coming back to Portland tomorrow and going under self quarantine.   Neat.

Guessing people are hoarding TP because that’s the normal panic thing to do

and or

they are worried about cargo ships being held and unable to unload the toilet paper so there may be a shortage 

If you were taking a relatively nearby trip Saturday and had the choice of a 1 hour flight vs. 7 hours of driving, which would you choose in this case?  Not going isn't an option considering where we're going does not even have a reported case yet and we'd be better off there than here.  

My office has their head in the sand. We have projects, vendors  and clients all over the world...with staff that makes the trips repeatedly. ... there's been nothing. No plan. No recognition this isn't the normal flu...nothing.

Somebody's going to get it here, and soon...or the 40story building will shut down over concerns. I hate that we'll be reacting instead of proactively set up for a response.
Exact same over here, except no international clients. And a shorter office building :D  

I think all our staff has work-from-home capability, and it's a small outfit ... so I guess we can be nimble and just suddenly WFH if when the building closes.

I know it probably feels that way - certainly in light of all the other reactions.  But I imagine these are tough economic issues that businesses are struggling with - trying to forecast the cost of getting the decision wrong on either side.
We're all adults and understand the implications both at personal and office-wide levels. 

But no plan or discussion isn't an option. Even "we're working on a plan" works for me right now.

Part of this is tied to an integral office paranoia about access to our work and clients. The nda/non-compete paperwork I had to sign was actual neurotic insanity. They've been burned by stolen clients and intellectual property (drawings, specs, etc) by previous employers, so while I get the concern- denying us or even denying the discussion to have the ability to work remotely seems counter productive.

If you were taking a relatively nearby trip Saturday and had the choice of a 1 hour flight vs. 7 hours of driving, which would you choose in this case?  Not going isn't an option considering where we're going does not even have a reported case yet and we'd be better off there than here.  
Couldn't pay me enough to sit in a tube filled with recycled air blowers sucking up germs from unknown passengers, let alone put my family in it.  

Road trip!

BREAKING: France will close all schools indefinitely, from kindergarten to universities, as per next Monday.

Well, that escalated quickly...

I would take the flight.

We have a flight we'll have to make a decision on for next weekend. Not really an option to drive. If it was this weekend we would fly. 

Guessing people are hoarding TP because that’s the normal panic thing to do

and or

they are worried about cargo ships being held and unable to unload the toilet paper so there may be a shortage 
No, we only import 10% or less.

The reason why is something called Zero Risk Bias.  Basically it makes people feel better when faced with crisis to resolve a smaller, unrelated and often manufactured crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread